Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

I don't know, seems pretty self-explanatory after the portion showing Metacell 1.

Anyway, another game to throw on to the kickstarter pile:
Valdis Story, a pretty sidescrolling action-RPG that looks rather anime.

I don't think I can spend any more money on games I won't get to play for a year :cry:

Now this is one I'll back. I quite enjoyed Legend of Fae, even if the last boss was a bit bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wendell posted:

It's a valid complaint because either they're making a puzzle game the likes of which there are countless free versions of on Flash game sites, and in that case why do they need so much money, or they're making something else entirely but they don't indicate what exactly it will be so in that case why do they expect to get so much money?

This is a fair point, but the cost-per-backer is only five dollars. They might be shooting for the moon for total funding (and I don't agree that they are; it seems like a pretty reasonable budget), but on a per-person basis the request is pretty reasonable, in my opinion.

And if they don't make it, then the cost-per-backer is zero dollars. Seems like a no-downsides situation, to me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

thepopstalinist posted:

Tough tits, dude. They already have this thing, it's called "conscious capitalism", and nobody's dropping their monocle over the possibility of rinkydink food co-ops putting Wal-Mart (which in this analogy are... publishers, I guess) or even run-of-the-mill grocery stores out of business. There's plenty of money out there for Objectivist Game Developers (whatever they're doing on Kickstarter), there's plenty of money out there for hardcore Statists who are all about sharing. If holdouts are failing, maybe they ought to bend to the whims of the market and add the sign value of "doing good deeds" to their pledge. But they won't, because it won't be an issue.

I mean yeah, Brian Fargo has taken the success of W2 to let his freak flag fly and just run his mouth about all sorts of questionable stuff, but... We'll see if this is even a thing in the next six months.

Fair point, but my objection with the whole KiF thing is mostly moral, not financial.

To be fair, the whole Kicking it Forward thing is, if anything, a very good PR campaign for Brian Fargo.

I guess overall I'm just pissed off because Fargo comes off, to me, as a smug douche who got his success on Kickstarter mostly by bitching and capitulation from a "moral high ground"- publishers suck, waaaah! I never got to make Wasteland 2, my dream game, waaah! Here, let me imply that the Fallout series is, as a whole, a failure of MY VISION to draw in the legally insane NMA crowd, waaah! etc.

And now with the KiF thing, it all feels...fake. It all feels like he's just calculating and saying the things that'll endear himself to the public so he can get more money. I just don't get a sense of passion or honesty from his pitches.

He feels to me like a 21st century snake oil salesman. That's the vibe I get from his Kickstarter.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

And now with the KiF thing, it all feels...fake. It all feels like he's just calculating and saying the things that'll endear himself to the public so he can get more money. I just don't get a sense of passion or honesty from his pitches.

He feels to me like a 21st century snake oil salesman. That's the vibe I get from his Kickstarter.
Well, I haven't backed or followed project because I'm not really a huge fan of isometric RPGs, but honestly, even if he's being sleezy and douchey, if the end result is that some other kickstarter projects that have promise get funded from his profits, who gives a poo poo?

Even if he's being smug or something (I have no idea I don't know anything about the guy), it's not a bad idea, and if people don't like it they don't have to do it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Kick it Forward is a way for Kickstarter to not horribly fail if people are fooled by too many scams.

The entire thing of Kickstarter is built on good intentions and right now, if you read journalists or check a lot of the incoming projects, people are misunderstanding how Kickstarter works or why Double Fine did so well. This is causing even more fraudulent projects and faceless and nameless people to ask for way too much without really demonstrating their abilities out there.

If you think Brian Fargo is doing Kick-it-Forward as a publicity stunt, you overestimate how many people will be hearing about it.

It is a way that Kickstarter can maintain momentum even after the initial projects that are launched there. Kickstarter gaming projects have a breaking point and we're going to find out really fast where that breaking point is, if this pace keeps up.

How many projects can you support before you wish they stop announcing awesome projects?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's on the not very good indiegogo instead of kickstarter, but I'm most excited about Craftstudio. Which, instead of a game, is a game development tool based upon Minecraft. I am not sure as to whether it will pan out, but the idea of being able to make stand-alone voxel-based games is pretty awesome. I've fooled around with an early alpha a little bit and it only allows you to basically make models and maps without any interaction like creative mode (also collaborate online with other folks) and managed to make some (I think) neat stuff pretty quickly:

Will it become vaporware? Possibly, but I'm still excited by the prospect of it being real.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Kotaku have published an article on the Sherlock Holmes FMV adventure Kickstarter. I doubt it'll help the project reach its goal, but who knows.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 29, 2012

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
They added a couple new tiers to the Gaijinworks Kickstarter. For the $20 tier, they added a downloadable version of the soundtrack. They also have a tier that has the downloadable PSN code included in the package! Oh hey, it's only for people who pay $100 or more... Seriously still feeling like they're pretty much the definition of "doing it wrong" with this Kickstarter so far. :/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wow Occupation, you have a really weird hate-on for Brian Fargo. With your whole "waah" thing, typing out crying noises, I get the distinct impression that literally anything he did/said would be cast in a stupid, stupid light by you and you'd jump up and down about how disingenuous and baby-like he is. Like, I'm of the opinion that the whole Kick it Forward thing is in fact a publicity stunt, but that is irrelevant because good things are good. And you're making the most puerile complaints about everything, and it's kind of weird. Chill out man (unless you know the guy in real life and he's a huge dick or something, if that's the case then I guess acting like a school kid on the playground might be more appropriate).

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 29, 2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Occupation posted:

Fair point, but my objection with the whole KiF thing is mostly moral, not financial.

To be fair, the whole Kicking it Forward thing is, if anything, a very good PR campaign for Brian Fargo.

I guess overall I'm just pissed off because Fargo comes off, to me, as a smug douche who got his success on Kickstarter mostly by bitching and capitulation from a "moral high ground"- publishers suck, waaaah! I never got to make Wasteland 2, my dream game, waaah! Here, let me imply that the Fallout series is, as a whole, a failure of MY VISION to draw in the legally insane NMA crowd, waaah! etc.

You have very strong opinions (several posts at this point, enough that I recognize your name) on Brian Fargo's secret evil plans that require a lot of mind reading. I didn't even get any implication that Fallout was a failure in his eyes, just different. His video is pretty obviously trying to be funny (and fails on several levels -- humor is difficult).

KIF is heavily flawed (edit: no teeth) , but it's not like it's codified in kickstarter. Someone could do better. He's just trying to say 'hey, when there's some runaway success like minecraft that was helped by the community (I'm well aware that MC was not kickstarter funded), let's perpetuate that to keep self/crowd funded games going'.

They easily were on their way (made?) to making their funding goal before KIF was even a 'thing'.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 29, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, I probably overexaggerated my case. I don't believe Brian Fargo is a secret evil mastermind or whatever and don't lay awake at night planning his righteous demise.

I guess I'm just mostly uninterested because I didn't like his pitch, which personally irritated me due to the level of times he repeated "publishers suck" in new and unfunny ways. After, when he started courting NMA's vote, alert sirens started going off in my head and I probably got overly critical of him and his entire operation.

Either way, he's just a guy and not like, Activision or something so I probably used a bit of hyperbole. For that, I apologize.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Except that publishers really do suck and wouldn't fund Wasteland 2 so I don't see where your problem is with his statements on the subject?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

the black husserl posted:

Except that publishers really do suck and wouldn't fund Wasteland 2 so I don't see where your problem is with his statements on the subject?
Exactly. Maybe his problem was repetition. I guess he could have done less repetition but yeah.

Occupation posted:

After, when he started courting NMA's vote
... somehow I can't find myself arguing against this, though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If anyone ever says "I was going to back that kickstarter but they aren't kicking it forward so they must just want to make money and making money is evil" I will punch them in the nose. I think Brian Fargo would too!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, Fargo's self-aggrandizing on twitter is a little off-putting. It doesn't reflect very well on him. I mean, Christ who would seriously requote this about themselves:

Brian Fargo posted:

Quote from RPG Codex: "Who could have predicted this like a year ago? Brian Fargo returning with Wasteland 2 like the loving CRPG messiah."

That quote gave me a nice chuckle.

I couldn't even finish watching the second 'funny' video because I was too busy squirming with embarrassment on his behalf.

That said, he is obviously authentically enthusiastic about Wasteland, and he's come awfully close to flat out saying that if the game is a success this is his chance to actually be relevant again. So he's clearly motivated to give the old-school fans the game they want. I also imagine he's sick of making cell phone games and such.

As far as I'm concerned he can be as tacky and tone-deaf as he wants as long as we get a decent game out of it. I think there's a reasonably good chance we will. Enough that I don't mind throwing in my 50$. God knows I've spent that much on lovely 'AAA' games that I barely got a couple hours of entertainment out of.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, Fargo's self-aggrandizing on twitter is a little off-putting. It doesn't reflect very well on him. I mean, Christ who would seriously requote this about themselves:

To make matters worse, it's a quote from RPGCodex. What a cesspool of a site.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sankis posted:

To make matters worse, it's a quote from RPGCodex. What a cesspool of a site.

I kinda like the front page news, because it's bitter and cynical like me, but I admit I never venture into the forums.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Kick it Forward is a way for Kickstarter to not horribly fail if people are fooled by too many scams.

The entire thing of Kickstarter is built on good intentions and right now, if you read journalists or check a lot of the incoming projects, people are misunderstanding how Kickstarter works or why Double Fine did so well. This is causing even more fraudulent projects and faceless and nameless people to ask for way too much without really demonstrating their abilities out there.

If you think Brian Fargo is doing Kick-it-Forward as a publicity stunt, you overestimate how many people will be hearing about it.

It is a way that Kickstarter can maintain momentum even after the initial projects that are launched there. Kickstarter gaming projects have a breaking point and we're going to find out really fast where that breaking point is, if this pace keeps up.

How many projects can you support before you wish they stop announcing awesome projects?

And people aren't stupid. Look at any project that succeeds and you'll see it either comes from an established person or someone with a really, really good pitch. Terrible projects almost always die because because people can smell half-assed work from a mile away. I've never heard of a scam project on KS before and all of these video game developers hopping on the bandwagon have their entire professional reputations on the line. Unknown artists have to work hard to create a believable pitch while established artists have everything to lose if they fail to deliver. I've seen projects nearly reach funding but due to the creator being a total pariah and never posting updates so people started dropping off rapidly near the end.

Kickstarter is a self correcting endeavor that scares off schemers by forcing them to actually work.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

In a continuing demonstration of "just not getting it", the guys who want to spend 500k localising Class of Heroes 2 have finally added a digital download of the game to their list of rewards. Sadly, they added it to the $100 tier, so there's no way to just get the game, you also need a big mass of useless crud.

From their comments, it seems like they are ready to take this as a solid message of "nobody wants these games localised" rather than "people don't want expensive deluxe editions of obscure games that didn't review well".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

And people aren't stupid. Look at any project that succeeds and you'll see it either comes from an established person or someone with a really, really good pitch. Terrible projects almost always die because because people can smell half-assed work from a mile away. I've never heard of a scam project on KS before and all of these video game developers hopping on the bandwagon have their entire professional reputations on the line. Unknown artists have to work hard to create a believable pitch while established artists have everything to lose if they fail to deliver. I've seen projects nearly reach funding but due to the creator being a total pariah and never posting updates so people started dropping off rapidly near the end.

Kickstarter is a self correcting endeavor that scares off schemers by forcing them to actually work.

You don't think "Your World" is partially a scam?

Two people put $10,000 into that project. Even as a joke because it'll never be funded, that's incredibly stupid.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/29/double-fines-kickstarter-kick-started-funding-for-video-games/

"Double Fine Adventure catalyzed the entire video games category on Kickstarter: The month before Double Fine's project, video games averaged 629 pledges per week; after its launch, video games received an average of 9,755 pledges per week, excluding those to Double Fine, Kickstarter says.

Similarly, in the first two years on Kickstarter, the video games category raised $1,776,372 in total. In the six weeks after Double Fine, it generated $2,890,704 without Double Fine's contribution, $6,227,075 with it. Before Double Fine, only one video games project had exceeded $100,000; now nine have."

http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/blockbuster-effects

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Reposting this from another thread. Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if it reaches 2.1 million. An interesting twist for the end of this kickstarter.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Two people put $10,000 into that project. Even as a joke because it'll never be funded, that's incredibly stupid.

I think Your World is not a scam at all. The only way it would be a profitable scam is if they make it over half funding or so, at which time Eggman can fund the rest himself and walk off with their money, but it's never going to get that high. Anything less and Eggman is losing money to taxes and to Kickstarter/Amazon fees.

The two 10k pledges are jokes. Kickstarter refunds all the money you pledge if the project fails, and even the dumbest of Eggmen isn't going to burn a bunch of money on his own Kickstarter.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Master_Odin posted:

Reposting this from another thread. Obsidian to co-develop Wasteland 2 if it reaches 2.1 million. An interesting twist for the end of this kickstarter.

Even though I've made it clear my dislike for Fargo, and I personally don't think Obsidian is God's Gift to Video Games, I respect and admire Avellone enough that this will probably push me over the edge to donate.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

I think Your World is not a scam at all. The only way it would be a profitable scam is if they make it over half funding or so, at which time Eggman can fund the rest himself and walk off with their money, but it's never going to get that high. Anything less and Eggman is losing money to taxes and to Kickstarter/Amazon fees.

The very text itself reads like a text-book example of a scam. Promising something that is ultimately so good and delicious that it is impossible to meet the demands of. Kinda like Saints Row the Third.

But unlike Saints Row the Third, I do not think that even if this guy manages to get people willing to work for him and try to construct his dream project, will produce anything near a playable or fun game, at best becoming a remote imitation of a more popular game or a bunch of popular games without meshing quite right.

This guy is a frickin' "idea-man" for crying out loud. They exist as amusement for those of us with two feet on the ground.

Occupation posted:

Even though I've made it clear my dislike for Fargo, and I personally don't think Obsidian is God's Gift to Video Games, I respect and admire Avellone enough that this will probably push me over the edge to donate.

You are an awful person. An honest, but awful person.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Occupation posted:

I don't like isometric RPG's, but this pushed me over the edge into donating.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mordaedil posted:

You are an awful person. An honest, but awful person.

What did I do wrong now? :ohdear:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

The very text itself reads like a text-book example of a OMIGAWD I HAVE THE BEST IDEA FOR A GAME EVER GUYS

This guy is a frickin' "idea-man" for crying out loud. They exist as amusement for those of us with two feet on the ground.

This is how I read it. The fact that his rewards are all effectively meaningless things that only make sense in the context of WARCRAFT BUT BETTER GUYS seals it for me.

Here at work we get a fair amount of fan mail and inevitably some of it is HEY GUYS FOR SAINTS ROW 7 YOU SHOULD MAKE IT LIKE SAINTS ROW BUT BETTER AND YOU HAVE A FASTER CAR AND A BIG GUN AND LIKE ITS BETTER PEW PEW.

Literally his pitch reads like someone who had to try very hard to not capitalize everything because he is too swept up in HOW AWESOME HIS IDEA IS TO MAKE A GAME THAT IS BETTER THAN THE GAME HE PLAYED to think rationally.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

What I meant to say was "I've never seen a scam project succeed on Kickstarter." I haven't heard of the project until now but I refuse to believe it's not a joke. Either the creator is a satirist getting a few chuckles with his friends because they accepted his project, or he's a completely delusional tomato-faced man that believes people will throw a million bucks at him.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Urdnot Fire posted:

I don't like isometric RPG's, but this pushed me over the edge into donating.

I don't even like video games, but this pushed me over the edge into mortgaging my house to donate.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Felt generous today so I threw some bucks at Banner Saga, Wasteland 2 and Valdis Story.

Also found Fist Puncher which looks like it might be a neat River City Ransom style game. Maybe. The reward tiers are a little weird though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yodzilla posted:

Also found Fist Puncher which looks like it might be a neat River City Ransom style game. Maybe. The reward tiers are a little weird though.

Man, that makes me incredibly nostalgic for 4 player Little Fighters 2 back in the day.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
The Dead Linger, a first person zombie survival sandbox has gone up.

They want $60,000 so they can complete a polished alpha, which I assume they'll use to help bankroll the rest of the development. Reward tiers suck but they seem passionate enough judging by their pitch and forum posts. The last game they developed was Detour, an average strategy game I'm sure no-one has heard of.

SparkTR fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 31, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I backed em, gives us hope for our funding, we will probably be asking for $10k because it's what we need for licensing and legal, but if we can get $69k we can pay our team to work full time until its released.

oh and I have Detour, it's not a bad little casual strategy game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

This is how I read it. The fact that his rewards are all effectively meaningless things that only make sense in the context of WARCRAFT BUT BETTER GUYS seals it for me.

Here at work we get a fair amount of fan mail and inevitably some of it is HEY GUYS FOR SAINTS ROW 7 YOU SHOULD MAKE IT LIKE SAINTS ROW BUT BETTER AND YOU HAVE A FASTER CAR AND A BIG GUN AND LIKE ITS BETTER PEW PEW.

Literally his pitch reads like someone who had to try very hard to not capitalize everything because he is too swept up in HOW AWESOME HIS IDEA IS TO MAKE A GAME THAT IS BETTER THAN THE GAME HE PLAYED to think rationally.

It's how I read it too, honestly. But I call it scams when it really tries to make money.

I just don't like people acting like idiots and trying to make money off it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hahaha, Your World is 'kicking it forward'. :v:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hahaha, Your World is 'kicking it forward'. :v:

That changes my entire view of it! Allow me to donate the rest of the million requested!

Servant
Aug 3, 2010

... so you see, following that the will of the People cannot be reasonably interpreted down to the individual level, a legitimate government should operate purely through coin-flips...

al-azad posted:

What I meant to say was "I've never seen a scam project succeed on Kickstarter."

thepopstalinist posted:

Consider that, in the realm of music, this dude essentially bilked 205 people out of +$25k (he eventually farted out a scrapbook and a bad live recording way over schedule, IIRC) and nothing really happened. The dude got his all-expenses paid trip to Africa, and he's still making music with a very high-profile band.

I mean at what threshold does fraud go from being insignificant to something that the invisible hand of the free market cannot possibly allow? Because $25,000 is a lot of money.

Granted, it seems unlikely that any of these people are actually con artists but it stands to reason that at some point along the line there might be a hitch or a hardware failure or something that will cause a delay and scuttle the best laid plans of the developer. So it's less a danger of people taking the money and running and more a danger of people not delivering exactly what they promise when they promise to do so. The question is then whether fan investors will be more lenient than publishers have historically been.
So it's possible, and if more people are tempted to engage in scams/"forget" to deliver on their products, then the more likely it is for at least a few of them to succeed. I think you have to be established first though; you need to build credibility before you can bilk people out of money. Run-by kickstarters won't have a chance.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

How does one come up with rewards for Kickstarter/IndieGoGo pledges? I've been looking into IndieGoGo as a way to finance the last leg of the development process for an iOS puzzle-platformer, but I honestly can't think of any decent rewards. I need to pay my texture artist and such and right now I'm in a position where self-financing won't cover that.

I feel like I'm going to end up chasing a duck while screaming a person's name for $1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

How does one come up with rewards for Kickstarter/IndieGoGo pledges? I've been looking into IndieGoGo as a way to finance the last leg of the development process for an iOS puzzle-platformer, but I honestly can't think of any decent rewards. I need to pay my texture artist and such and right now I'm in a position where self-financing won't cover that.

I feel like I'm going to end up chasing a duck while screaming a person's name for $1000.
I think iOS is tricky because if you give away the game in the pledges, then it makes it harder to make the sales charts, right? Star Command didn't give out their game for that reason. Check out their kickstarter for some ideas (also see how hilarious and awesome their pitch video is):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an

Music, exclusive content, well-designed posters/physical stuff, incorporating the backers into the project somehow (as a character or even just a thanks in the credits) all works.