Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Farts Domino posted:

Aw drat, I can't think of a better thing to do outside on a sunny day than dig thru records. Sounds a great haul too - you 45 guys are craaazy. Great, just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My record store has already put up a list of the stuff they've ordered for Record Store day, and I'm happy that I won't be breaking the bank, because there's only a few things they're getting that I want. That Childish Gambino single, the Gorillaz single with James Murphy and Andre 3000 (and I'm fully prepared to shank some hipsters for that one), and maybe a few other singles and that Danny Brown XXX.

Of course, I just bought Cults and Era Extrana today, so we'll see if my wallet will last the month.

Faxbart
Sep 13, 2005

Leave 4514 disabled. It's a stupid warning anyway.
I've got a soft spot for gimmick records. I need this record.

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/third-man-records-three-year-anniversary-party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pZWgdg2jayw#t=130s

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Haha that is so ridiculous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It makes me react the way I do to all of these things: "That's pretty interesting I guess.". Meanwhile on ebay.....

And countdown to the internet complaining about everything Jack White does.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I will gladly complain about most things Third Man but I can't hate on that

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Wish I knew how much money some of these things coming out on Record Store Day were. I'd like to get some stuff, but I'm not sure how I can budget them with my $200 RSD/Concert money for that month.

Looking to pick up:

The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Death Grips - The Money Store
Animal Collective - Transverse Temporal Gyrus (maybe)

and maybe Grimes - Visions if it's just hangin' around.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

WASDF posted:

Wish I knew how much money some of these things coming out on Record Store Day were. I'd like to get some stuff, but I'm not sure how I can budget them with my $200 RSD/Concert money for that month.

Looking to pick up:

The Flaming Lips - The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends
Death Grips - The Money Store
Animal Collective - Transverse Temporal Gyrus (maybe)

and maybe Grimes - Visions if it's just hangin' around.

You can find prices here: http://vvinyl.com/s/record_store_day/

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Sweet. Still curious about that Death Grips album.

Are other albums reduced in price on RSD?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Lately I've been working on filling in some of the gaps in my Lips collection. Here's what I got today:

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - Original US PIAS pressing
Broncho - Can't Get Past the Lips - Garage rock band from OKC

And two old issues of a zine called The Bob:

The flexi on the left has live covers of Led Zeppelin's Thank You and Sonic Youth's Death Valley 69, along with tracks by Steve Kilbey and the Fleshtones. The yellow ones have a cover of Life on Mars? and a track by the Lemonheads.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Lately I've been working on filling in some of the gaps in my Lips collection. Here's what I got today:

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - Original US PIAS pressing
Broncho - Can't Get Past the Lips - Garage rock band from OKC

And two old issues of a zine called The Bob:

The flexi on the left has live covers of Led Zeppelin's Thank You and Sonic Youth's Death Valley 69, along with tracks by Steve Kilbey and the Fleshtones. The yellow ones have a cover of Life on Mars? and a track by the Lemonheads.

How's the Death Valley 69 cover? I'd imagine they could do something cool with that track.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My Best Buy purchases arrived today (aside from the one that was on backorder), and the package was hella secure, so no damage. I'm impressed at how fast they got to me, I wasn't expecting them until next week.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

LtTennisBall posted:

How's the Death Valley 69 cover? I'd imagine they could do something cool with that track.

I've always liked it, even though Wayne blatantly only knows the chorus. It's a loud, noisy mess.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDYDVYD5R4Y

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Farts Domino posted:

I will gladly complain about most things Third Man but I can't hate on that

Jack White is a giant rear end in a top hat who, leading an army of lawyers, put Sympathy For The Record Industry label out of order and I'm really surprised that Jack Oblivian wants anything to do with that guy.

At the same time Third Man has some interesting thing in its catalogue: Tyvek, Human Eye, Neil Hamburger, Flat Duo Jets. It's great that these bands (and Gregg Turkington) would get more coverage thanks to the label.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Jack White is a giant rear end in a top hat who, leading an army of lawyers, put Sympathy For The Record Industry label out of order and I'm really surprised that Jack Oblivian wants anything to do with that guy.

At the same time Third Man has some interesting thing in its catalogue: Tyvek, Human Eye, Neil Hamburger, Flat Duo Jets. It's great that these bands (and Gregg Turkington) would get more coverage thanks to the label.

I'd like to know the story that goes with this.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I'd like to know the story that goes with this.

Simple, really. White Stripes put their earlier records on SFTRI, after the third LP the majors came a-knocking and White somehow managed to sell the rights to his earlier records also. This effectively put Long Gone John (the owner of SFTRI) on a short way to bankrupcy (he now resides in a cabin in the woods of Olympia, Washington). Stripes albums were big sellers, and he released other bands' stuff using that revenue. Long Gone was trying to sell the whole label in 2007, don't know if he succeeded. I'm not sure if his mailorder still works, probably not.

Not only that, White wanted the production credits on the reissues all to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records back in the day. And he lost. What a douche.

Check out a book called "We Never Learn" by Eric Davidson. It goes into this in more detail.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 29, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Simple, really. White Stripes put their earlier records on SFTRI, after the third LP the majors came a-knocking and White somehow managed to sell the rights to his earlier records also. This effectively put Long Gone John (the owner of SFTRI) on a short way to bankrupcy (he now resides in a cabin in the woods of Olympia, Washington). Stripes albums were big sellers, and he released other albums using that revenue. Long Gone was trying to sell the whole label in 2007, don't know if he succeeded. I'm not sure if his mailorder still works, probably not.

Not only that, White wanted the production credits on the reissues to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records backed in the day. And he lost. What an douche.

Check out a book called "We Never Learn" by Eric Davidson. It goes into this in more detail.

Musicians are notoriously dickish (except Wayne Coyne, but he's really in his own category for a lot of things) so that doesn't suprise me.

Alternatively:
It looks like he didn't have sympathy for the record industry after all.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

My Best Buy purchases arrived today (aside from the one that was on backorder), and the package was hella secure, so no damage. I'm impressed at how fast they got to me, I wasn't expecting them until next week.

Same for me. Packed secure, both records came sounding great and free two day shipping. Hell of a deal.

Edit: Also if you still don't have the Fleet Foxes records, here's some download codes.

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
http://www.subpop.com/download_code
Code: ckajnssgyqme

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes + Sun Giant EP
http://www.subpop.com/download_code
Code: ci8id39raqxm

Peacebone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 29, 2012

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Simple, really. White Stripes put their earlier records on SFTRI, after the third LP the majors came a-knocking and White somehow managed to sell the rights to his earlier records also. This effectively put Long Gone John (the owner of SFTRI) on a short way to bankrupcy (he now resides in a cabin in the woods of Olympia, Washington). Stripes albums were big sellers, and he released other albums using that revenue. Long Gone was trying to sell the whole label in 2007, don't know if he succeeded. I'm not sure if his mailorder still works, probably not.

Not only that, White wanted the production credits on the reissues to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records backed in the day. And he lost. What an douche.

I can't say I'm not biased here, as I'm a total Jack White fan-boy, but I don't really have a problem with what he did. If losing the rights to two albums kills your record label and puts you into bankruptcy, then you obviously hosed up somewhere else along the line.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Musicians are notoriously dickish (except Wayne Coyne, but he's really in his own category for a lot of things) so that doesn't suprise me.

And yet none of the musicians I've met, which is a reasonably large amount, have been dicks. :colbert:

Well, except for Mark Kozelek a bit. But I kinda expected that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Alternatively:
It looks like he didn't have sympathy for the record industry after all.

I would say that the dickishness is directly proportional to the money they make off their records, in most cases.

On topic of RSD:
I would like to point your attention to annual 4-way split 7'' on Trouble In Mind Records. Each year they release a Record Store Day 7'' with four artists covering various older songs. This years edition looks great:

TRACK LIST
SIDE A:
1. Mikal Cronin - I Enjoy Being A Boy (Joey Levine, the song from Banana Splits)
2. Apache Dropout - Cuddly Toy (Harry Nilsson)
SIDE B:
3. The Paperhead - Stacey Grove (T.Rex)
4. The Limiñanas - Tu es à moi (french version of The Troggs' "Come Now")

[EDIT]

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I can't say I'm not biased here, as I'm a total Jack White fan-boy, but I don't really have a problem with what he did. If losing the rights to two albums kills your record label and puts you into bankruptcy, then you obviously hosed up somewhere else along the line.

Ok, I would see how the first thing may seem acceptable if you consider releasing music a business (we're talking about garage-punk label here, I don't think it began with an idea of making loads of money). But trying to cut his old co-producer out of the money that he rightfully earned? That's just pure assholery right there.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 29, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I got 3 albums from that Bestbuy sale and they were all damaged along the opening side. Sigh.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Received the two records I ordered from Best Buy in great condition, packaged quite nicely. Sorry to hear about the damaged deliveries :/

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Surfingelectrode I can never live up to your Lips collection. :(

At least I feel a small comfort in that we'll both be queuing up at 6am in the loving morning on RSD.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Death From Above 1979's You're a Woman I'm a Machine is being repressed on pink vinyl for record store day. Only 1000 copies in Canada only. The label will be putting some on their website.

Serious question anyone here in Canada that would be willing to pick one up and ship it to me? I will pay for shipping and the record and throw in a five spot too. That is if I don't get one online.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I would absolutely do the same.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Harry Privates posted:

Death From Above 1979's You're a Woman I'm a Machine is being repressed on pink vinyl for record store day. Only 1000 copies in Canada only. The label will be putting some on their website.

Serious question anyone here in Canada that would be willing to pick one up and ship it to me? I will pay for shipping and the record and throw in a five spot too. That is if I don't get one online.

I literally left Canada two days ago. A week out from RSD. And now I'm in Australia. A place where my favourite band probably won't ship poo poo to.

gently caress

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I too would be willing to toss money at a Canadian for that DFA pink vinyl. I remember the first time I saw those guys. It was a weird early show in the middle of summer. I think seven or eight people were there. Me and 3 friends from out of town that came just for the show (which is why I even went, hadn't heard them before that). It was great and I felt bad for those dudes that so few people came. I still have my shirt from that first tour.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
So... Best Buy has Jimi Hendrix - Valleys of Neptune on 180g for $1.99. Not sure if this is a mistake, seems like lots of prices have changed on the site recently. It's also backordered, but, hey, it's $2 and you can always cancel.

Also cheap on Best Buy:
Slipknot - All Hope is Gone ($0.49)
Incubus - If Not Now When? ($1.99)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If they are trying to get rid of it in their warehouse, they are probably just dumping it.

Chances are, the vinyl distributors don't do returns. If I'm not mistakened, one of the reasons why retailers stopped stocking vinyl in the late 80s and 90s was that the distributors stopped doing returns due to the rise of CDs. So now, if you were a small store and you were handling orders, you were only going to order what you knew was going to sell since now you were essentially buying it. So yeah, I might order the new Madonna album cuz I'm sure I can sell it, but maybe a smaller band, like the Pixies... eh, if someone wants it they can get the cassette or CD.

So now, when Best Buy stocks vinyl, they are buying it. They are taking a risk. And if it doesn't sell, well, that's it. You got a problem. You can't return it, and every day you don't sell it, it burns a hole in your pocket, since there are carrying costs associated with it. So you might as well dump it for 1.99, take a loss now and just clear out your warehouses.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
Most big distros in the US take returns, it's on a case-by-case basis. You get a more expensive unit cost if you want the option to return unsold stock.

One of the biggest issues with Record Store Day is that most of the sales are non-returnable. Good for scummy labels putting out Clash 7" that no one wants, bad for stores that get stuck with total garbage.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

thebigpicture posted:

So... Best Buy has Jimi Hendrix - Valleys of Neptune on 180g for $1.99. Not sure if this is a mistake, seems like lots of prices have changed on the site recently. It's also backordered, but, hey, it's $2 and you can always cancel.

Also cheap on Best Buy:

Ordered the Jimi Hendrix album. Never heard it, but it might be cool for $2.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thebigpicture posted:

Also cheap on Best Buy:

Ordered that, and trying to find if there were any more good deals I missed, and I ordered Illmatic for $9.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So Best Buy's selling some pretty good stuff for crazy low prices right now. Why the hell is Black Sabbath-s/t 64.99? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Black+Sabbath+(Ogv)+-+VINYL/9783885.p?id=2084050&skuId=9783885

Fake edit: Upon closer inspection there are a bunch of other albums at crazy high prices for some reason. Did something go wrong at Best Buy?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

So Best Buy's selling some pretty good stuff for crazy low prices right now. Why the hell is Black Sabbath-s/t 64.99? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Black+Sabbath+(Ogv)+-+VINYL/9783885.p?id=2084050&skuId=9783885

Fake edit: Upon closer inspection there are a bunch of other albums at crazy high prices for some reason. Did something go wrong at Best Buy?

I'm pretty sure they're cutting down/out the vinyl sales. According to the guy at my local Best Buy, that is.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm pretty sure they're cutting down/out the vinyl sales. According to the guy at my local Best Buy, that is.

That's why it makes less sense that they're selling reissues of Black Sabbath and Band of Gypsys for 65 dollars. Those are usually 17.99.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I just read that the Lips RSD release is US only. That really bums me out considering we got the last 2 Lips RSD releases.

I'm going to have to eBay this poo poo, ugh.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

That's why it makes less sense that they're selling reissues of Black Sabbath and Band of Gypsys for 65 dollars. Those are usually 17.99.

That's why I'm suspicious of Valleys of Neptune for $2. No big deal if it's an error though.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I've got a feeling that Nine Inch Nails is gonna start talking about that remastered version of The Fragile soon. Their facebook page just updated their wall photo thingy with The Fragile and we haven't heard about this thing in like a year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I haven't given a poo poo about Maxïmo Park since their first album when I was 16, but if there are any MP fans here:

They've got some signed vinyl up for pre-order right now for their new album.