Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

Matures give, on average, $1066 per year to 6.3 charities
Boomers give $901 per year to 5.2 charities
Gen X gives $796 on average to 4.2 charities
Gen Y gives $341 to 3.6 charities.

That's a pretty steep dropoff there, Gen Y.

Also - I'm asking because I don't really know - do sportbikes even lend themselves to such mass formations outside of a track? I can only picture being incredibly annoyed and claustrophobic being cheek by jowl on bikes built for speed.

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/fundraising/a/generationalgivingstudy.htm

Riding in formation on bikes is terrible period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Marv Hushman posted:

Also - I'm asking because I don't really know - do sportbikes even lend themselves to such mass formations outside of a track? I can only picture being incredibly annoyed and claustrophobic being cheek by jowl on bikes built for speed.

Well if Boomers didn't ruin the economy for us maybe we'd have some spare change to give away :colbert:

I know there are group sportsbike rides but I can only imagine they quickly devolve into wheelie pissing contests among young, testosterone-fueled bros

Z3n posted:

Riding in formation on bikes is terrible period.

Scooter rides do it alright.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Marv Hushman posted:

Gen Y don't got any jobs.

And as for this "they're all cruisers bullshit," holy christ. Also, sportbike riders GROUP RIDE BRAH to the twisties to do some wheelies crash, cruiser riders go from random point A to random point B just for the hell of it. One of these lends itself much better to charity rides.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Well, so basically all cruisers then is what I meant. I'm not harshing on cruisers, just interested. What do you think is the reason that such a ride isn't more popular with other styles of motorcycle? Age group?

I see a bunch of motorcycles.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Surging Santorum posted:

Gen Y don't got any jobs.

And as for this "they're all cruisers bullshit," holy christ. Also, sportbike riders GROUP RIDE BRAH to the twisties to do some wheelies crash, cruiser riders go from random point A to random point B just for the hell of it. One of these lends itself much better to charity rides.

Well, there you have it, whoever originally asked the question. Demographics and ride preferences. The kids would rather sing the song of the Sausage Creature and fly off a cliff than run into their inebriated parents at a Poker Run pot luck. Can you blame them?

I've been on a few of these mass moto armadas, and it requires a bit of discipline and gobs of faith in the riders around you. 2-300 Harleys in unison sounds like the Eighth Air Force getting ready to raid Ploesti. It's dramatic and nerve wracking at the same time.

Nowadays, 2-3 additional riders is about all I can take.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
From my experience attending different rides/events, it just seems like Harley riders are way more organized into clubs. They really bond over their bikes, so for every Harley rider, there's a number of organized groups in the area that will have them. As a result, there's always a good sized group available for whatever motorcycle event is going on that day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Scrapez posted:

Anything up to about 10"bars are comfortable for me. Beyond that and forget it.

Oh agreed. I don't think I made my case though... this man was literally standing up and had his arms stretched out as far as they could reach in either direction over his head.

I understand feet up and arms out a bit. But he looked like this:

except his arms and feet were out to the side more.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh agreed. I don't think I made my case though... this man was literally standing up and had his arms stretched out as far as they could reach in either direction over his head.

I understand feet up and arms out a bit. But he looked like this:

except his arms and feet were out to the side more.

Hey son, if you aint standin to ride, you aint really ridin!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Hey son, if you aint standin to ride, you aint really ridin!

It's all about momentum. If you don't have enough arm/leverage you can't lay 'er down real fast to avoid catastrophes.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 26, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's all about momentum. If you don't have enough arm/leverage you can't lay 'er down real fast to avoid catastrophes.

You're already standing though just hop off and run real fast, right?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

You're already standing though just hop off and run real fast, right?

It's a scooter... How fast can it go

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's a scooter... How fast can it go

My buddy's burgman 400 will do 105+ no problem.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

My buddy's burgman 400 will do 105+ no problem.

It must have a ton a spikez.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

2-300 Harleys in unison sounds like the Eighth Air Force getting ready to raid Ploesti.

I'd try to avoid that specific comparison, considering just what happened to the Eighth Air Force over Ploiesti.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://imgur.com/a/jULLf

I'm really diggin this Captain America air filter.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

http://imgur.com/a/jULLf

I'm really diggin this Captain America air filter.

Yea, that bike is pretty hot. Not a huge fan of the sharp handlebars, though.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

I'd try to avoid that specific comparison, considering just what happened to the Eighth Air Force over Ploiesti.

Would C-47s parachuting Hershey bars into Berlin be sufficiently benign and non-threatening? The comparison had nothing to do with the success or failure of a particular mission, or really anything beyond taxiing. When you take the annoying neighbor with the earth shaking open pipes and multiply it by a few hundred, it's hard to think of a sonic equivalent.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Even with open pipes my 600 is not earth shaking... this makes me sad.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've always thought the Ulysses sounds like a P-47, humming down the road. I went for a ride last night with my friend on his Ulysses and together they make a pretty great racket.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Would C-47s parachuting Hershey bars into Berlin be sufficiently benign and non-threatening?

Chill out. "The eighth air force" is a fine comparison. "The 8th over Ploiesti", though...well, I' just saying that a superstitious person might try to avoid comparing their motorcycle group ride to a bomber mission where nearly a third of the planes were shot down and 660 crewmen died.

People in here are touchy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

Chill out. "The eighth air force" is a fine comparison. "The 8th over Ploiesti", though...well, I' just saying that a superstitious person might try to avoid comparing their motorcycle group ride to a bomber mission where nearly a third of the planes were shot down and 660 crewmen died.

Just the Harley riders :buddy:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Sagebrush posted:

Were you not aware that CAHOG stands for Cranky and Hardheaded Old Geezers?

At the risk of sounding like a CAHOG--the worst kind--I should state that not only was I in the Eighth Air Force (The Strangelove Years), I was a staff historian and journalist. So you'll understand why being wiki-fact-checked on a comparison I never made would be more than a little irritating. Ploesti was a mess, but there were others. At the squadron and group level, a 10-20% loss on a mission was another day at the office for these guys. A really bad day might approach 50%. I've listened to their stories, hoisted a glass with them, watched them weep, and yeah, when I read about one of them getting thumped on the head for $42 and a GPS unit, my first impulse is to blow away the son of a bitch that did it. So no--I wouldn't dream of trivializing these men by comparing 50 miles of blacktop to a frozen, flak-filled nightmare.

Trust me, if I were any more chill, I'd be getting CPR.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Hey, does Erik Buell need a job?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfogelson/2012/03/16/harley-davidsons-willie-g-to-retire/

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
http://www.tabperformance.com/servlet/the-Night-Rod-Special-VRSCDX/Categories

So I'd like to swap out my stock mufflers without spending a shitload of money.

Tab has an air filter, fuel manager, and muffler system that will run about $600 for everything.

From what I've read, the fuel manager is horrible and I'll be killing babies if I use it etc. etc.

I'm not really keen on a $300 trip to a dyno on top of $600 for exhaust/filter/fuel manager.

I'm not super-worried about losing/gaining 1 horsepower. I just want to add a little rumble to the exhaust without worrying about loving up my engine.

Exhaust swaps are so common that its hard to find a straight answer online.

Whats the best way forward here?

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 30, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Typically if you have a stock air filter and header you can probably do mufflers without any fuel management and get away just fine. If you add a K&N, the throttle response is likely to get pretty snatchy as the engine runs leanish.

That type of fuel controller is easy to fiddle with yourself. It's like an electronic jet kit. If you're just in it to tune for the exhaust, you probably don't need a dyno appointment; your butt and ears should be fine. Is this particular fuel controller supposed to be bad, or is it about the EPA knowing what's best?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Generic bolt on fuel controllers tend to go very rich across the board for safety reasons, better to go rich than lean. Despite that, sometimes they'll still be too lean in one area, if that's your cruising rpm that can be a problem. Sometimes they're not tuned right at part throttle either.

I would honestly say the best thing is to do it right. Get the full system, a power commander, and higher flow filter and get it tuned right.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

clutchpuck posted:

Typically if you have a stock air filter and header you can probably do mufflers without any fuel management and get away just fine. If you add a K&N, the throttle response is likely to get pretty snatchy as the engine runs leanish.

That type of fuel controller is easy to fiddle with yourself. It's like an electronic jet kit. If you're just in it to tune for the exhaust, you probably don't need a dyno appointment; your butt and ears should be fine. Is this particular fuel controller supposed to be bad, or is it about the EPA knowing what's best?

Its hard to judge from forum posts because people who complain about the tab fuel manager don't say what they were expecting.

I don't mind if it makes me lose 1 horsepower, or my MPGs drop by 1%. I just don't want to blow up the engine or lose throttle response or create backfires, etc.

I just want something 'adequate'. I'm not gonna be racing Hayabusa's on a dragstrip.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

gently caress THE HATERS

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CombatMedic posted:

Its hard to judge from forum posts because people who complain about the tab fuel manager don't say what they were expecting.

I don't mind if it makes me lose 1 horsepower, or my MPGs drop by 1%. I just don't want to blow up the engine or lose throttle response or create backfires, etc.

I just want something 'adequate'. I'm not gonna be racing Hayabusa's on a dragstrip.

You're unlikely to blow up the engine but chances are you're going to lose throttle response.

I mean, think about it from a design perspective: you have a team of engineers designing the engine, getting it tuned just right to pass emissions and still respond well. And then you want to change a significant amount about backpressure, intake flow, and how the engine operates as a whole. It's not designed for that, and even when you have the best tested and performing pipes and air filter, your bike still isn't going to be tuned with respect to your engine's unique wear and build characteristics. A good tuner can trade passing epa standards for better power, mpg, and throttle response, but throwing parts at a bike without tuning with respect to those parts and your specific engine is like trying to put together a puzzle blind. Someone somewhere might get it right once, but 99% of the time there's an associated performance decrease because of the unique wear/break in/etc of each bike.

For better or for worse though, most people can't tell the difference between a well tuned bike and a poo poo one. The well tuned ones always feel slow because they're super controllable and easy to ride...its the poorly tuned ones that are exciting as they hit like a freight train when they pull out of the hole from poor tuning.

But I will also freely admit I am biased and there are about 3 people on the west coast who I would trust to tune my bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Giblet Plus! posted:

gently caress THE HATERS

I like your bike... and your helmet. Lost any fillings yet :)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

gently caress THE HATERS

My Blast took a lot of abuse from me, and for that I loved it. They're awesome and you should love it.

And one of my Firebolt because Buells are just cool.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Whud up CAHOG

Bugs are bad this year in Iowa. My ride was around 75 miles today and my shield was covered in them. Also, my speedometer cable decided to relieve itself from duty about halfway through my ride. Sending unit's threads stripped out I think...not exactly sure how.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Deeters posted:

And one of my Firebolt because Buells are just cool.

I always thought that perimeter rotor was stupid until I finally rode one and holy poo poo does that thing stop.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

invision posted:

I always thought that perimeter rotor was stupid until I finally rode one and holy poo poo does that thing stop.

They aren't necessarily a bad concept, but I think the rotors tend to warp under repeated hard braking, e.g. track conditions.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For a street bike, it's very nice. Stopping power is about as good as you'll ever need, and the single rotor and caliper is a recipe for inexpensive maintenance.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And from what I've heard, changing the pads before they get really worn keeps the rotor from warping on the street.

angryhampster posted:

Whud up CAHOG

Bugs are bad this year in Iowa. My ride was around 75 miles today and my shield was covered in them. Also, my speedometer cable decided to relieve itself from duty about halfway through my ride. Sending unit's threads stripped out I think...not exactly sure how.

Your Sportster looks like it's in amazing shape. What year is it?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Deeters posted:

And from what I've heard, changing the pads before they get really worn keeps the rotor from warping on the street.

Your Sportster looks like it's in amazing shape. What year is it?

Thanks! It's a 1983. It is in pretty decent shape. Paint has a few chips in it, and there's an oil leak that I can't track down. Other than that, it's really a great bike. It was my father's -- he passed away when I was 3 and left it to me.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

angryhampster posted:

Thanks! It's a 1983. It is in pretty decent shape. Paint has a few chips in it, and there's an oil leak that I can't track down. Other than that, it's really a great bike. It was my father's -- he passed away when I was 3 and left it to me.

Don't.
Ever.
Sell.
This bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

angryhampster posted:

That's really cool. If it's not a huge oil leak, then it's just the ironhead's way of telling you that it still has oil in it.

• Locked thread