Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

If this is true I can't even comprehend how big of a fuckup this whole launch has been.

There's a pretty solid comparison to look at though: the OpenPandora launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Fingers crossed it was just a snafu on element14's end ; https://twitter.com/#!/Raspberry_Pi/status/185060331012374529

quote:

@Raspberry_Pi
Some in the US are reporting an email saying your order has been moved back to August - not right, and we're getting it looked into.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

That's some good news.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I don't think anyone at element14 knows what's going on.

An employee DMed me on Twitter, seemed confused about Raspberry Pi's tweet about emails going out, and wanted to know whether I did actually receive the information in an email from them, or whether I just looked up the order.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

My guess is that it's a comedy of errors at play. Hundreds of nerds are refrshing their Newark/e14 order status' many times a day (I'm one too, I admit) and thus quite a large handful noticed the (erronous) ETA change in short notice.

If I had to guess, some data entry monkey was to push the Apr 3rd ship date out a bit to Apr 16th. Instead, the monkey - who was using drop-down calendar entry, or something equally error-prone - accidentally hit 'A' twice and thus set it for August instead of April. Or at least it sounds plausible as I've been that monkey myself at least once over the years in various jobs.

And thus e14/newark customer service doesn't know what the gently caress, the rPi foundation doesn't know what the gently caress, and everyone's dodging blame and subtly pointing fingers while everyone sorts what from the gently caress.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ok apparently the latest issue is that farnell and element14 are refusing to ship until the rpi is CE certified. It's a little ridiculous that they're requiring that and even more ridiculous that nobody knew about it until now.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Eh I'm not totally surprised. Both RS and Farnell have been more than open about the fact that due to the sheer volume of rPi orders, their lawyers are making GBS threads bricks about distributing non-certified boards that may leak and/or be susceptible to interference, at that volume.

Its really just another sign of the rPi foundations naivete, as they didn't really grasp the demand for their product - nor the consequences of signing away distribution to RS/Farnell. Not really their fault, but still shows a lack of foresight.

edit - also, RS and Farnell have been bitching about / hinting at certification for a week now. So it's not a *huge* surprise.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

quote:

Update, 6pm Mar 28: we have spoken with BIS this morning, and they have confirmed that, given the volumes involved and the demographic mix of likely users, any development board exemption is not applicable to us; as a result, even the first uncased developer units of Raspberry Pi will require a CE mark prior to sale in the EU

Jesus loving Christ. Couldn't you have contacted the UK Government a little earlier? Even a week ago when your manufacturers were disagreeing about CE compliance?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

DNova posted:

ok apparently the latest issue is that farnell and element14 are refusing to ship until the rpi is CE certified. It's a little ridiculous that they're requiring that and even more ridiculous that nobody knew about it until now.

This isn't as uncommon as you think, I've worked for a few businesses that were close to final sign off when tradmark issues or design/compliance issues were found in the final days to sign off, just the right people were not informed at the right time

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They really need to hire a grownup or two to supervise their decisions, at this point. I'm somewhat curious at what point a paying customer will actually have a working production board in hand.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Javid posted:

They really need to hire a grownup or two to supervise their decisions, at this point. I'm somewhat curious at what point a paying customer will actually have a working production board in hand.

Hell, just open-source the schematics (not even the artwork/Gerbers!) so people can get some boards made and assemble it themselves!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

movax posted:

Hell, just open-source the schematics (not even the artwork/Gerbers!) so people can get some boards made and assemble it themselves!

How are you going to obtain the CPU/GPU/RAM IC?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DNova posted:

How are you going to obtain the CPU/GPU/RAM IC?

Avnet or Arrow NAC I'd imagine, whoever Broadcom's distributor is. None of the supply issues so far have been linked to lead times from Broadcom, have they?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

movax posted:

Avnet or Arrow NAC I'd imagine, whoever Broadcom's distributor is. None of the supply issues so far have been linked to lead times from Broadcom, have they?

No, but the RPi foundation had to work very hard to convince Broadcom to sell them such a small lot of 10,000.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DNova posted:

No, but the RPi foundation had to work very hard to convince Broadcom to sell them such a small lot of 10,000.

Ahh, gotcha. Now I assume RPi foundation is going to be left footing the bill for getting CE testing done? I'm in the midst of CE tests at work right now as well, and the lab time is not cheap :(

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

movax posted:

Ahh, gotcha. Now I assume RPi foundation is going to be left footing the bill for getting CE testing done? I'm in the midst of CE tests at work right now as well, and the lab time is not cheap :(

Yeah, I can't imagine any other scenario. They're being a bit opaque lately and I'm a little annoyed about it.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Eh, it's not like Farnell or RS aren't making anything off the deal, so I could see them sharing a portion of the cost to certify the boards so they can fulfill the thousands of idle orders.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Philthy posted:

I'm thinking robotics. An entire platform in the palm of your hands. Today we have Arduino, PICAXE, etc which are faceless programmable microcontrollers that you hook up to your PC to upload your code, then test things out.

With the RPi, the entire thing is the dev environment, with the ability to run monitors and network connectivity right from brains. It's a totally contained environment in the palm of your hand. Be it for yourself, hobby, or students. The GPIO is going to allow this to interface pretty easily to everything that exists today. It sucks less than a watt using 1080p streaming, and far far far less doing simple path finding and adjusting motor speeds.

I was thinking the same thing.

How well do you suppose the Raspberry Pi could handle real-time image processing? It could be the perfect solution for playing with vision in a small robot. All we'd need is some Linux-based vision software that doesn't require any knowledge of the science of image processing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Are the EU certification issues delaying orders to places outside the EU?

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Yes they are. I have no idea why they are, as both RS and Farnell have stated it's just the EU that concerns them re: shipping 'dev boards' without CE... but alas, many of us North Americans are also seeing the delay.

Also sup Javid :D

nickdab
Jul 5, 2008
On the emulation front, somebody already made an RPi emulator for the ZX-Spectrum.

It's called Fuse, and the ZX-Spectrum was an 8-bit (!) computer that could play graphical games. Obviously this a bit different than emulating a PSX, but still...pretty neat-o.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Lukano posted:

Yes they are. I have no idea why they are, as both RS and Farnell have stated it's just the EU that concerns them re: shipping 'dev boards' without CE... but alas, many of us North Americans are also seeing the delay.

Also sup Javid :D

Because FCC certification is also required.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 31, 2012

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Haha. The good news: not actually pushed back to August. The bad news: we actually have no loving clue when this will ship, and also is this a hole in the ground or my sphincter I can't tell http://www.element14.com/community/message/48186#48186/l/re-update-on-newark-element14-customers-delivery-date-of-august-2012-questions

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mill Town posted:

Haha. The good news: not actually pushed back to August. The bad news: we actually have no loving clue when this will ship, and also is this a hole in the ground or my sphincter I can't tell http://www.element14.com/community/message/48186#48186/l/re-update-on-newark-element14-customers-delivery-date-of-august-2012-questions

This is still really loving stupid, everyone involved knew (I hope so anyways) that the product would need to go through compliance testing. It'll take even longer to ship the board(s) if they can't pass, and changes will need to be made to get them to the pass (component or artwork) if necessary.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

They thought they were exempt because it is not a finished product.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 1, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

DNova posted:

They thought they were exempt because it is not a finished product.

I think they were counting on it falling into the same category as beagle/pandaboard. I bet the reason they're running into the issue is because the project is so popular.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Stupid question: because of the GPIO header, the Raspberry Pi can do anything an Arduino can? Or does the Arduino have some other additional features?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Stupid question: because of the GPIO header, the Raspberry Pi can do anything an Arduino can? Or does the Arduino have some other additional features?

It can do quite a lot more, but it may not be as straightforward and simple to use as an arduino, depending on the task. Also, in case it matters to you, there are no headers on the board. If you want to bring out the GPIO you need to add your own headers.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

I think they were counting on it falling into the same category as beagle/pandaboard. I bet the reason they're running into the issue is because the project is so popular.

Except that (recent) Beagleboards and Arduinos etc. are certified for this very same reason.

They're running into the issue because they're loving incompetent and didn't ask the actual government agencies and bodies like they should have rather than just googling Beagleboard reference manuals.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 2, 2012

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
I don't get the hate for this project. Sure the launch has sucked but to be fair I believe their hearts are in the right place and I don't believe anyone has been charged for the device yet.

I really want to get my hands on one but it's not that big a deal. It's like the folks who were raging at Space Station 13 including poop.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Only a bunch of angry manchildren would be angry at a group of people who develop a miraculously cheap computer for the poorest of the poor and children. You're seriously raging at a charity because they were not prepared for the tens of thousands of customers they never thought they would have. Think about that for a few minutes and grow the gently caress up, you'll get your toy in a few months.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Nobody here is angry nor raging, they're not a charity (yet) and it's not a toy either. People have every right to express disappointment.

With the atv3 coming out recently they probably lost half their potential customer base so they're really letting themselves down first and foremost with the screwups.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Nobody here is angry nor raging, they're not a charity (yet) and it's not a toy either. People have every right to express disappointment.

With the atv3 coming out recently they probably lost half their potential customer base so they're really letting themselves down first and foremost with the screwups.

What's an atv3?

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

angrytech posted:

What's an atv3?

Apple tv 3, it does 1080p video and once it's jailbroken it will have xbmc which was the only reason i ordered a raspberry Pi :(

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

angrytech posted:

What's an atv3?

Based on Google I'm guessing apple TV 3. No idea otherwise. I'm one of those who wants a few rpis for ultra-cheap HTPCs, and apple TV isn't really comparable at all. I can't imagine anyone cross-shopping the two devices.

If atv3 is something else disregard, I guess.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Third Man posted:

Only a bunch of angry manchildren would be angry at a group of people who develop a miraculously cheap computer for the poorest of the poor and children.

This is an april fool's post right?

"Miraculously cheap" and for children my rear end.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

dj_pain posted:

Apple tv 3, it does 1080p video and once it's jailbroken it will have xbmc which was the only reason i ordered a raspberry Pi :(

You're going to pay the hardware premium of an apple product so that you can jailbreak it and install xbmc?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is veering dangerously offtopic but what price premium? If there's another cheap box to run XBMC on then I'd love to know about it as the only options I know of are literally
-Raspberry Pi
-atv3 when a jailbreak is released.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

~Coxy posted:

This is veering dangerously offtopic but what price premium? If there's another cheap box to run XBMC on then I'd love to know about it as the only options I know of are literally
-Raspberry Pi
-atv3 when a jailbreak is released.

Oh holy poo poo, I didn't realize they were as cheap as they are. $99 makes a lot more sense. Also, I realize that XBMC is probably an app on iOS and not an OS huh?
Together that makes a lot more sense. My apologies for the confusion. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

angrytech posted:

Oh holy poo poo, I didn't realize they were as cheap as they are. $99 makes a lot more sense. Also, I realize that XBMC is probably an app on iOS and not an OS huh?
Together that makes a lot more sense. My apologies for the confusion. :tipshat:

Now I can't write my angry nerd reply :(