Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Avocados posted:

Are there some decent starter videos/guides out there? A friend and I found some decent skateboards and figure we'd like to try skateboarding out. We've been practicing on them for a few days now, and we haven't fallen too much yet.

There are some nice Plan B trick tip videos that go from Basics -> Intermediate tricks on youtube that are legit. If you do a search for PJ Ladd/Paul Rodriguez/Ryan Sheckler Plan B trick tips it should come up. Pj ladd handles the flip tricks, PRod handles grinds/slides, and Sheckler handles transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Been tinkering around in photography as a hobby and through a scouring of events calendars looking for things to go and shoot at, found a skatepark here in AZ (Goodyear, AZ specifically) had been closed and was reopening with an event of some sort this last Saturday. Don't know anyone or anything on this scene so I didn't have anywhere to post what I came up with. Still getting down the basics a bit, and there's so much drat sun here in AZ it was hard to get my focus point down while still blowing out the background. Got a free Monster out of the deal, though! (They were sponsering the shindig with Chiptotle and the city)

All in all it was a lot of fun, and kinda wanna head back out there again at some point and try again now that I've had one crack it.

Full set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkwildz/sets/72157629192587688/

DSC_1434 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_1493 by dkwildz, on Flickr

DSC_1505 by dkwildz, on Flickr

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Rad shots, dig the last one a lot. Love the Old Man Army sticker she's rocking.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Avocados posted:

Are there some decent starter videos/guides out there? A friend and I found some decent skateboards and figure we'd like to try skateboarding out. We've been practicing on them for a few days now, and we haven't fallen too much yet.

Tony Hawk covers pretty much everything in good detail: Tony Hawk's Trick Tips vol1 - it starts with setting up a board > standing on a board > pushing > turning > ollies > tricks.

Once things get more advanced, the video goes beyond most other 'trick tips' by telling you stuff like how to build your way up to a trick (like showing you that you can learn nosestalls before noseslides) and common mistakes / how you're most likely to fall.

It's hard to say how helpful instructional videos can really be but man, they vary wildly in quality. Some literally just describe a trick - 'to do a tailslide you ollie, land in a tailslide, slide, pop out and roll away clean'. Others can be, at the very least, really interesting. The Show Me The Way videos are pretty neat - I've heard Reynold's frontside flip and Janoski's 360 flip clips have helped a lot of people.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I got hold of some coin to rent a Red Epic for a few days to shoot my first short skateboarding video!

It's 4 minutes long - what do you guys think? I'd love some feedback.

Link: https://vimeo.com/38992103

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 25, 2012

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Greenplastic posted:

I got hold of some coin to rent a Red Epic for a few days to shoot my first short skateboarding video!

I liked it! I thought the cinematography in particular was really well done, there were a few shots there that looked really nice.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Yeah, I also really enjoyed. The use of light was great, the effects were all well done, and the transitions were all solid. Would love to see you shoot more stuff.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
A 12 year old kid just landed a 1080: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Video/first-ever-1080-skate-021243187233817

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Whoa. Well there you go. Next stop: 1260

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

Tenterhooks posted:

A 12 year old kid just landed a 1080: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Video/first-ever-1080-skate-021243187233817

A bunch of people have pointed out that it's on a custom ramp that Red Bull built, as well as the fact that technically it was a fakie 1080. Still though, insanely impressive stuff.

vvv Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. Still, now the race is on to see who can do a 1080 without switching!

youngallah fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 30, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

youngallah posted:

A bunch of people have pointed out that it's on a custom ramp that Red Bull built, as well as the fact that technically it was a fakie 1080. Still though, insanely impressive stuff.

A bunch of others (rightly) pointed out that none of that matters.

I'm just starting to learn frontside pop-shuvs and I was feeling pretty good about myself until I saw this!

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

youngallah posted:

The fakie thing is a bit of a non-issue. 720s on vert have mostly been done that way forever and, when it came to stuff like the XGames at least, were so common that nobody used to announce a 'fakie 720'. A forwards one is still a fairly rare beast (I think - it's been a while since I've properly paid attention to the competition circuit).

But yeah, it's way harder to imagine anyone dong one forwards or on a regular vert ramp.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Greenplastic posted:

Link: https://vimeo.com/38992103

That was a really, really well done video. Great job.

This thread has made me want to ignore my complaining knees and drag my born in in the 1960's rear end back out on a board. :corsair:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

youngallah posted:

I'm going to keep telling myself these points so I feel less terrible.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Lumpy posted:

This thread has made me want to ignore my complaining knees and drag my born in in the 1960's rear end back out on a board. :corsair:

Do it. You won't regret it, I promise.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Lumpy posted:

Thanks :) You really should... Even just cruising the streets in the sun is awesome, and if you can work up some ollies for getting on and off the sidewalks, well, I don't think you'll regret it. Go!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Greenplastic posted:

Thanks :) You really should... Even just cruising the streets in the sun is awesome, and if you can work up some ollies for getting on and off the sidewalks, well, I don't think you'll regret it. Go!

My problem is that my muscle memory will think "180 kickflip off the curb!!" and my ancient body / reflexes will not do what they could do 20 years ago and I'll be posting from the emergency room. Then my kid will taunt me.

That said, I just ordered a new board. :v:

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Greenplastic posted:

This was really gorgeous, love the fall leaves+colors in your editing. Sick edit

edit: obviously the skating owns too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Some longboarding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5RA_gGWAvA

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
The Alien Workshop section in the new Transworld video is making everyone go crazy. It's in a perpetual uploaded/deleted/re-uploaded state right now so I can't link to it but, honestly, it's worth seeking out. Amazing skating edited in a really full-on, building-up-the-pressure manner.

EDIT: made a gif of Tyler Bledoe's hosed up back tail

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 3, 2012

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
This one has been up for at least four hours so here ya go!

http://www.zapiks.com/alien-workshop-video.html

Dim, Tired, and Elderly
Mar 25, 2004

ur ded
Can anyone chime in on ceramic bearings? Worth the money? I skate a longboard around a city and eat up a lot of dirt and grime into my bearings.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
:spooky:

BonerKid fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 29, 2022

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Dim, Tired, and Elderly: Ceramic bearings are only really worth it if you do a lot of rain skating, because they wont rust up. They'll still get dirty just like steel bearings, but they'll last longer. Just clean your bearings regularly and you'll be fine.

BonerKid: For just cruising around you can go with pretty much anything. If its a city and a lot of sidewalk riding then a shorter wheelbase and kicktail could be pretty beneficial, since it'll turn faster and you can pop down off curbs, or even ollie up them if you learn to. There is a ton of variety in boards, trucks, and wheels for longboards these days, so you have a ton of options. Have you been looking at anything already?
If you want to chat about boards and gear elsewhere, I'd be up for it. If anyone happens to use Steam we could chat there, its the only chat client I really use these days besides facebook. My Steam id is king_nintendoid
I sadly don't skate near as much as I used and my skills have suffered, and I don't follow new stuff as much as I used to, but I'm still an encyclopedia of gear and knowledge, and I'm willing to help and like chatting about it

I have a massive gear boner right now:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
This thread needs a fuckin' revival.
I'm slowly getting a bit of skating skill back and getting my slides back. I also found out that I can ollie my Agent Orange which is pretty awesome. The only problem is that its got Vicious grip on it and that poo poo cuts you, so if I flick the board up into my leg, or flip it into the back of my leg like I did earlier, it will draw blood. Not fun. I hate not really having people to skate with... its so much more fun with a group. I wish I had a crew of good skaters to push me an get me doing other things.

How is everyone enjoying the quickly expanding skate season?

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Is there an all around good setup for someone beginning to long-board? I'm not sure if it would be better to be stable and not being able to carve to slow down or a setup that allows for maneuverability but increases wobbliness?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
John Cardiel in the new Thrasher. From what I understand he's still having trouble with his body after his spinal cord injury so this isn't a "Cardiel is healed" post. It's just rad to see him doing this:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Budget Dracula posted:

Is there an all around good setup for someone beginning to long-board? I'm not sure if it would be better to be stable and not being able to carve to slow down or a setup that allows for maneuverability but increases wobbliness?

There is a saying: Loose Trucks Save Lives.
If you give up too much maneuverability it can be a pain, but it will reduce stability to an extent. What are you looking to do with the board? Do you have any boards/setups/parts in mind?
Starting on a good carvy board will help you learn and gain balance and stability quicker, and from there you can see what speeds you can handle. If you mean to get into actual downhill after that you can either get a board for goin' fast and bein' :krad: or use what you already have, assuming it (and you) can handle it.
I know a shitload about longboards but I'm admittedly not very good or fast, especially with my recent downtime. Even then, I've taken a hybrid slalom board over 30mph downhill in the past, something I hadn't done much on downhill boards at the time. Comfort, confidence, and familiarity with your setup will make you much more stable. Slalom boards are small, extremely twitchy and turny, and as grippy as it gets, so I didn't even have the comfort of being able to slide if I needed to or wanted to stop. It was a great confidence booster for me at the time.

As I've said before in the thread I love chatting about gear and all so I'm always up for answering questions

Lately I've really been wanting to put together a smaller double kick to get into some old skool slashy cruising, since as much as I love my EW Crewzer, its a bit big and boaty. I've also really been wanting to get another set of slalom trucks since I have a slalom deck and wheelset sitting around. I also really want to get another freeride board, so I can set my Agent Orange up for hills and not use it for everything... I need a freakin' job.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 12, 2012

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm glad you're here to handle that horizontal tree. I love to ride and hate gear talk.

That being said, Budget Dracula, if you're brand new don't worry too much about your first setup. We all started on lovely sector 9 pintails or little tech skateboards - even street skaters push like noobs on a longboard, it's a different feeling.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Today I started doing 360 shuv-its and big spins off the nose of my dh deck. Of course when I finally start landing these things its on the big flat dh/freeride board and not on my double kick

Getting a "lovely" Sector 9 or similar pintail is a perfect way to start. They're perfectly good boards, and with a simple change of bushings, and probably the addition of bearing spacers (why don't all boards come with these by now? Its such an important piece of hardware) you can have a great ride.
I started on a budget pintail and the only things that sucked about it were it being prone to wheelbite, and the lack of concave. I could still have a lot of fun on that original setup I had, with a simple bushing swap and risers.
A friend started on the same deck and trucks as my first board, but with slightly smaller wheels and he changed bushings and loved it.
If you're just cruising and pushing around its all you need. If you want to get into downhill, freeride, slalom, etc, then your setup starts to matter a bit more

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 14, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I really really love this deck and wish I could buy one
Its 9.25 wide in front, 8.75 in back, 8.25 in the narrow part. I'm not sure on the overall length but the normal wheelbase (between the kicks) is 16" so I'm guessing about 35"

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 15, 2012

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I bought a 40' Amber deck from Churchill and some Cadillac 70mm 80a Cruzers. Haven't decided on the rest yet. I just put the grip tape on and while the sides look quite haggard I'm happy so far.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Post pix! Have you not decided on trucks yet?

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I put the stripe in because the local skateshop didn't have any grip tape that was wide enough. I'm still researching trucks currently.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
I haven't really skated in a year because I snapped my last deck and never had the money to replace it. But the weather started to get nice in Vancouver, and what's $100 more in credit card debt? Nothing.

I went to PD's and got a new Skull Skates set up that I'm happy with. 8" with 56mm hard as poo poo wheels and Tracker trucks. House bearings and grip. I might get some ceramics when I have the money because the northwest rusts everything.

I wasn't good when I was skating regularly, but I am hot garbage right now. Holy poo poo. New scars, scrapes, cuts and bruises. Feels good.

edit: also Emerica's Hsu 2 shoes are really comfortable and provide pretty good ankle support.

Wise Old Shitashi fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 24, 2012

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Budget Dracula, what are the width and wheelbase on that? Looks like a good starter cruiser. What are you looking for in a truck?

Wise Old Shitashi, good to hear you're having fun again. I wouldn't bother with ceramics, depending how much you'd have to pay for them. Also bearing spacers are your friend.

Seriously, everyone should have bearing spacers. Everyone. If a shop employee says they're useless and you should just throw them out cause they're extra weight, call them a blithering idiot and walk away laughing with smugness

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
Can you elaborate a little bit more on the necessity of bearing spacers? I've heard about them in relation to long boarding, but I'm not really sure what they do. For reference, I mainly skate street and mini.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Budget Dracula, what are the width and wheelbase on that? Looks like a good starter cruiser. What are you looking for in a truck?

I measured it at 28' 1/2in for the wheelbase and around 9' 1/2in for the width. Basically I need something for cruising/carving that isn't going cause wheelbite.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Club Sandwich posted:

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the necessity of bearing spacers? I've heard about them in relation to long boarding, but I'm not really sure what they do. For reference, I mainly skate street and mini.

Without spacers you can't crank down the nuts which means you'll have a lot of lateral motion between the wheels, bearings, axle and nuts which manifests as "chatter" when you slide as well as an outlet for energy that may build up if you're going fast enough (otherwise known as speed wobbles). When you have spacers you can also tighten the nuts as hard as you can make it without damaging the inner race of your bearings.

For street, spacers are irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Club Sandwich posted:

Bearings are not meant to handle any side loads at all. Tightening down your axle nuts without spacers will cause the inner races to push towards each other slightly, knocking the bearings a bit out of alignment. Spacers keep everything lined up, will improve bearing life, and remove chatter from any sideways force on your wheels (like sliding)
I have to disagree with Zigmidge about them being irrelevant for street. They help prevent bearing blowouts from doing tricks too. I know a few hardcore street/park skaters who got some good quality spacers and were extremely happy with them because their bearings lasted longer in general.

Budget Dracula posted:

I measured it at 28' 1/2in for the wheelbase and around 9' 1/2in for the width. Basically I need something for cruising/carving that isn't going cause wheelbite.

Is this measured from the inner or outer holes? It seems a bit long to me if its measured between the inner holes (wheelbase is always measured between inner mounting holes)
For trucks I'd suggest getting some 50* reverse kingpin trucks. Randal, Paris, Gunmetal, and Caliber, are the top choices to me. Gunmetals and Calibers feel a bit more solid and stable than Randal and Paris, but the latter have flip-able hangers which will add or remove a little bit of leverage and change the ride height very slightly. The taller, unflipped position is generally better feeling, you get more leverage.
Reverse kingpin trucks are a bit nicer for carving and a bit more stable than normal (traditional/vertical kingpin) skateboard trucks.
Take a look around here, its my go-to shop for most gear: http://longboardskater.com/longboard/Longboard-Trucks.html
I'd also suggest picking up some bushings to mess around with and fine tune your ride. All the trucks I mentioned except Randals have pretty great stock bushings but they're still the best way to get it feeling how you want.

also enter the code silverfish on that website for a slight discount

EDIT: also forgot to say that you could manage with either 9" (around 150mm) or 10" (around 180mm) trucks on that deck. 10"/180's will be a bit more stable and have slightly less leverage and grip. 9/150 will stick out a bit less, but have a little more leverage and grip. Whichever you choose would work. If you wind up switching to a downhill or freeride board in the future, the wider trucks would transfer over to that better.
Also, just know that if you learn to slide on those Cadillacs, they will wear SUPER fast and are kinda prone to flat spots

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 26, 2012