Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Davos posted:

I really want to put in the $50 for the boxed version, but I'm a poor college student who just got laid off from my part time job :(

Yeah, I think it's oddly disturbing that there are people donating more money to this by themselves than I've ever had in my life. But oh well I guess I might get a cool video game out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Chipped in 100 dollars. I just got a good job offer, so why the hell not. Might throw in a bit more latter.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just re-posted this to my Facebook wall to try to lure in some of the people who undoubtedly had no idea what I was talking about with Wasteland but now might see the references to games they HAVE played! Yay!!!

Giggily posted:

loving poors not spending hundreds of dollars on video games. :smugdog:
:stare: Hey, I do not know if you noticed, but it is my job in this thread to cheerlead. That is like the sixth time I have said "oh, (small amount)? Sure you did not mean (related larger amount)?"

I also think the excitement of the post did not match up with the donation, given that I am sure that person has spent more than $15 on a game before. AND I WAS ALSO SERIOUS THAT I THANK HIM/HER FOR THE DONATION WOOOOOOOO

Edit: Also, might I add I have always thought that your bear avatar goes excellently with those dog tags, whatever they are for.

Edit Again I Did Not See This:

Giggily posted:

Yeah, I think it's oddly disturbing that there are people donating more money to this by themselves than I've ever had in my life. But oh well I guess I might get a cool video game out of it.
I do not know how old you are or anything, but think about the number of people for whom Wasteland was a formative childhood experience who are now adults with disposable income ... in some cases, with a -lot- of disposable income. Is it appropriate that this money go to "creating a better apocalypse simulator" than "feeding the hungry?" No, but every type of luxury spending is frivolous. I would rather someone donate $1,000 to this than own a big-screen TV.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 30, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Davos posted:

I really want to put in the $50 for the boxed version, but I'm a poor college student who just got laid off from my part time job :(

I'm in the same boat, dude.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Upped my pledge to $65, super excited for this now, I love Obsidian.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Pledged $15, potential for Black Isle reunion too good to pass up!

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Chris Avellone? Tim Caine? Obsidian? :getin:

I just changed my $15 to $50 without a moment's hesitation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Giggily posted:

loving poors not spending hundreds of dollars on video games. :smugdog:

Yeah, this may be the smuggiest, douchiest thing I've read in a while.

It's not even spending hundreds of dollars on a video game, it's hundreds of dollars on the promise of a video game.

Christ.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Quarex posted:

I do not know how old you are or anything, but think about the number of people for whom Wasteland was a formative childhood experience who are now adults with disposable income ... in some cases, with a -lot- of disposable income. Is it appropriate that this money go to "creating a better apocalypse simulator" than "feeding the hungry?" No, but every type of luxury spending is frivolous. I would rather someone donate $1,000 to this than own a big-screen TV.

As far as luxury spending goes, this is better than some other forms in that the thing you're helping fund can also be enjoyed by lots of other people who your contribution subsidizes, it doesn't directly hurt anyone to make it or deplete any rare resources (beyond additional spending of electricity), and more of the money goes directly to the workers and artists who are actually making it as compared to other forms of luxury spending.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 30, 2012

SMP
May 5, 2009

Quarex posted:

I just re-posted this to my Facebook wall to try to lure in some of the people who undoubtedly had no idea what I was talking about with Wasteland but now might see the references to games they HAVE played! Yay!!!

:stare: Hey, I do not know if you noticed, but it is my job in this thread to cheerlead. That is like the sixth time I have said "oh, (small amount)? Sure you did not mean (related larger amount)?"

I also think the excitement of the post did not match up with the donation, given that I am sure that person has spent more than $15 on a game before. AND I WAS ALSO SERIOUS THAT I THANK HIM/HER FOR THE DONATION WOOOOOOOO

Edit: Also, might I add I have always thought that your bear avatar goes excellently with those dog tags, whatever they are for.

Edit Again I Did Not See This:

For what it's worth I actually did put in the $15 :v:. To be honest though, I hold no feelings towards Wasteland, seeing as it predates me by 5 years. $15 was as much as I was willing to invest in a game I'm not sure I'd even like.

However it's god drat Obsidian working on an RPG :patriot:

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
So excited. KotoR 2 was the 3D Baldur's Gate 2 to me. The levels of character development, complexity, and wholly unique plot was outstanding. There's no other game, PC or otherwise I've played more then those 2.

I remember reading that Lucasfilm was gearing up for the movie release and didn't really care about the game, so Obsidian did tons of poo poo they thought they would get shot down by Lucas, only for it to release with all the 'controversial' stuff relatively intact.

i.e Ridiculing the whole 'absolute light/dark' theme, morally ambiguous Jedi, and just tearing apart a lot of established canon concepts for their short-sightedness and 1 dimensionality along with many other flaws.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

For me, it's more that Fallout was a formative experience: It told me I love RPG's and I'm interested in these things.

Also, Chris Avellone is a large part of what games I consider central to my favorite genre since then and getting him on board...

Well, if I can buy a PS3, I can sponsor I game I really care about.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Occupation posted:

It's not even spending hundreds of dollars on a video game, it's hundreds of dollars on the promise of a video game.

Christ.

Obviously, don't spend money you can't afford, but this is a video game forum. The whole point is pointless spending. No sense is trying to play that card here so don't bother kicking that up unless you have something of interest to add besides your outrage at people having and using money.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cream_Filling posted:

As far as luxury spending goes, this is better than some other forms in that the thing you're helping fund can also be enjoyed by lots of other people who your contribution subsidizes, it doesn't directly hurt anyone to make it or deplete any rare resources (beyond additional spending of electricity), and more of the money goes directly to the workers and artists who are actually making it as compared to other forms of luxury spending.
I thought about getting more into just why I thought this was a better use of luxury dollars than most, but I knew I would be way too verbose. This is an excellent brief way of explaining why this is pretty low on the scale of "evil luxury spending," because the money is actually paying real people to do something, instead of inflating the profits of a corporation that uses poverty-grade labor.

Still a luxury, though, mind.

SMP posted:

For what it's worth I actually did put in the $15 :v:. To be honest though, I hold no feelings towards Wasteland, seeing as it predates me by 5 years. $15 was as much as I was willing to invest in a game I'm not sure I'd even like. However it's god drat Obsidian working on an RPG :patriot:
YES! WE CAN ALL BE REASONABLE TOGETHER! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Mordaedil posted:

For me, it's more that Fallout was a formative experience: It told me I love RPG's and I'm interested in these things.

Also, Chris Avellone is a large part of what games I consider central to my favorite genre since then and getting him on board...

Well, if I can buy a PS3, I can sponsor I game I really care about.
That is exactly my reasoning, plus or minus the word "Wasteland" instead of Fallout. :c00l: I will gladly skip games I would have otherwise bought and not really cared for that much in the name of spending more on getting this game made than I would ever spend to actually buy it after the fact.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For me it was Fallout 1 and 2 that were the real formative experiences for me where PC RPGs are concerned. But as soon as I learned about Fallout's genesis I went out and played Wasteland and (god help me) Fountain of Dreams.

I've never finished Wasteland, but I still fondly remember the dozens and dozens of hours I spent playing it back in high school. Hearing that Avellone is gonna be joining in with Brian Fargo on this project, well, this more than justifies my having pledged $65 on Wasteland 2 already.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Great news today, been spreading it on facebook/twitter/irc. I'm going to bump my pledge to $100 next week when I get paid. That should satisfy Quarex. :colbert:

maybe more if i make extra...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Given past games like Dungeon Siege 3, I'm not all that caring for Obsidian being involved. I know NV was liked despite the bugs but Obsidian can drive something off a cliff pretty well. Can't get myself to throw more money at them just because of this.

e: Now if someone gets the band back together to make Baldur's Gate 3 in an HD infinity engine? You can have all my monies.

vvvvvvvv True, but a bug free game that isn't a good game is questionably better than a good game that is buggy. Like Bard's Tale 3, where if I tried to make a caster change to the same class it turned them in to a warrior, gave them every spell, but only let them cast in combat. God that was an awesome bug. Made the initial grind suck a lot less when your level 5 warrior can use geomancy to summon an earth elemental or 5.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 30, 2012

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

Evil Fluffy posted:

Given past games like Dungeon Siege 3, I'm not all that caring for Obsidian being involved. I know NV was liked despite the bugs but Obsidian can drive something off a cliff pretty well. Can't get myself to throw more money at them just because of this.

Dungeon Siege 3, while not a great game, did showcase one thing about Obsidian: when not working with an already buggy engine, and when not under ridiculous time constraints given by developers, they can release a game that is bug-free on release.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Well, ok then. Dungeon Siege 3 is kind of the antithesis of the popular perception of Obsidian games (with some basis in fact - reach exceeding grasp) so I'm not sure how that ties into it but your choice.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Occupation posted:

Christ.

Err didn't you start a thread for a different Kickstarter project just the other day?

Also I am fairly certain that the guy you quoted and the guy he was referring to were both joking at least mostly.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
God, Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale 1/2 were the games I grew up on as a child. The chance to fund the original developers and let them make a game without publishers loving them over? Hell yes, $15 sent.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

the black husserl posted:

Don't forget that Tim Cain is now at Obsidian so maybe we can get some Troika in this!

Whoa totally missed that.
Last thing I read he'd been labouring on some obsucre Korean MMO for 5 years and ragequit/got married not long ago :unsmith:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 31, 2012

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, I'll bump up to the 150 dollar level. I need more crap laying around the house.

Question is what do I do with two boxed copies when I have a digital copy?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
gently caress it. Chipped in a few bob. New Vegas is the Ultima VII of the 2010s for me and Alpha Protocol is my favourite red headed step-child.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Merry Magpie posted:

They have layaway plans for guns right?

Also, I believe a bat can substitute for a gun in virtually all home defense situations.

VVV Considering the amount of money that New Vegas made for Bethesda, I'd say it's a certainty that every numbered Fallout will have an Obsidian spinoff.

There is a good reason why I said that. I've wanted a modern Colt 1911A1 for a long time. If I was in the US I could have that for maybe $800 and have it in two weeks. Where I live, guns are horridly expensive and I'll have to import so I'm looking at perhaps 3 to 4 times what I would pay in the US. The government does this dickish bullshit where they have periods where they'll approve imports so gun shops have to rush and buy a bunch of low and medium tier guns and they don't have all the brands. They consider Glock, high tier. Lower than that are a bunch of Turkish, Argentinian and really dodgy guns.

I've decided. I'll donate $250 extra but only if the project meets 2.1 mil. Who needs guns, I already have a shotgun. They sell holsters so I can CCW a 28 inch Franchi autoloading shotgun right?

Panama gun laws. :suicide:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Updated my journal/the original post to include a bunch of interview links, Obsidian/Black Isle references, a little discussion about how maybe this news means this will become the perfect synthesis of Wasteland and Fallout and serve as long-standing friendly competition against the main Fallout series, and how that is probably a good thing.

Tsurupettan posted:

Great news today, been spreading it on facebook/twitter/irc. I'm going to bump my pledge to $100 next week when I get paid. That should satisfy Quarex. :colbert:

maybe more if i make extra...
It only takes $15 to satisfy me, Tsurupettan! Regardless of what some people think, to my great shame :( HondaCivet was right :(

Pussy Cartel posted:

For me it was Fallout 1 and 2 that were the real formative experiences for me where PC RPGs are concerned. But as soon as I learned about Fallout's genesis I went out and played Wasteland and (god help me) Fountain of Dreams.

I've never finished Wasteland, but I still fondly remember the dozens and dozens of hours I spent playing it back in high school. Hearing that Avellone is gonna be joining in with Brian Fargo on this project, well, this more than justifies my having pledged $65 on Wasteland 2 already.
YESSS!!!

(Also I played the hell out of Fountain of Dreams, no shame--it really was actually a good and fun game in its own right, bogged down both by "not being Wasteland 2" and "somehow having a worse engine despite being years newer")

Rhandhali posted:

Question is what do I do with two boxed copies when I have a digital copy?
Thank you for your donation!!! I have a suggestion: sell one or both to people who realized they should have donated more in the first place :hellyeah:

Hank Morgan posted:

gently caress it. Chipped in a few bob. New Vegas is the Ultima VII of the 2010s for me and Alpha Protocol is my favourite red headed step-child.
Those are two beautiful comparisons.

TerryLennox posted:

I've decided. I'll donate $250 extra but only if the project meets 2.1 mil. Who needs guns, I already have a shotgun. They sell holsters so I can CCW a 28 inch Franchi autoloading shotgun right?
TerryLennox, you sound completely insane* to me, but I love you.

*not really, I would probably have a gun collection if I had my druthers, and I can thank Wasteland and Fallout for my interest in guns

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
They really need to open up some of the sold out upper tiers... Or add new ones... :ohdear:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

lethial posted:

They really need to open up some of the sold out upper tiers... Or add new ones... :ohdear:
Hey buster, only the $1,000 tier is sold out! But I am guessing that this means that is the one you want. :(

Just get together with four of your other friends who wanted the $1,000 tier and do the $5,000 tier!

I can see the logic in not extending that tier ... mostly. They obviously do not want to have to put thousands of people into the game, but I seriously do not imagine that tier would top out that much higher even if they did open it back up. Hard to say.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
http://ruinedkingdoms.com/wasteland2/

Looks like excitement is already waning. :(

Edit: Upped my pledge to $100. Hope JSawyer gets involved.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Quarex posted:

Hey buster, only the $1,000 tier is sold out! But I am guessing that this means that is the one you want. :(

Just get together with four of your other friends who wanted the $1,000 tier and do the $5,000 tier!

I can see the logic in not extending that tier ... mostly. They obviously do not want to have to put thousands of people into the game, but I seriously do not imagine that tier would top out that much higher even if they did open it back up. Hard to say.

Yeah that is the tier that I am looking at, I am already thinking about dipping into the money that I set aside for a obsidian kickstarter... :(

Also, I agree that a limit on the 1K tier make sense, so maybe another tier? Either way, my problem is a good one to have, I wanted to throw money at obsidian for a while now, and having more options to throw money at them is not a bad thing at all. :)

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

RagingBoner posted:

You and me both. I hope ropekid still has work.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

chiefnewo posted:

Sorry, should have phrased my question better.

Do I need to cancel the earlier pledge in Amazon Payments?

If so, does anyone know the process?

Yes, you will need to remove the previous payment authorizations in Amazon payments whenever you change your pledge. It doesn't add the difference it makes a completely new authorization for the new amount.

I posted the process a whole bunch of pages back so I'll repeat it here:

• Sign in to your Amazon payments account
  • Go to "Edit my account settings"
  • then "Manage my payment authorizations"
  • If you changed your pledge amount you should see multiple items.
  • Find the oldest one[s] and make sure you only have one authorization and it's for the correct amount you wanted to pledge.
  • Here is a direct link, I don't know if it will work or through you back to your account overview.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Nope. Just change the Kickstarter pledge and that's it. You won't be double charged.

Do you have source for this? Whenever I have changed my pledge (I have done so for multiple projects now) I have had multiple payment authorizations in my account.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xik posted:

Do you have source for this? Whenever I have changed my pledge (I have done so for multiple projects now) I have had multiple payment authorizations in my account.

Those are just authorizations. Amazon has to authorize each change you make to your pledge amount. Once the payment happens, you only get charged for the final amount.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Quarex posted:

On my tier I put that I didn't want a reward. I just wanted them to use to money to make the game. That said, I probably wouldn't want to do that at higher tiers. If you're gonna plow 1,000 bucks or more into something I would understand wanting some sort of reward.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Edit: I just realized as I was about to ask for a new sticky that they beat me to it again. Oh, those amazing moderators!

RagingBoner posted:

Rope Kid is like the wind; he is all around us, and yet we can only feel his presence if we leave our comfortable surroundings and boldly step into the sun.

lethial posted:

Also, I agree that a limit on the 1K tier make sense, so maybe another tier? Either way, my problem is a good one to have, I wanted to throw money at obsidian for a while now, and having more options to throw money at them is not a bad thing at all. :)
They certainly could have split up that tier into three similar tiers, like "become an NPC, become an item, become a location!" On one hand, I assume everyone wants to be an NPC--on the other, I am sure some people who are embarrassed to leave the house but still loved Wasteland would settle for their name but not their face being used. Me personally, I have lain in this tomb for 50 years and my memorial is entirely buried by the shifting sands of the endless desert, but I would still want my undead visage to make it into the final product.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 31, 2012

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Pledged, they're putting the band back together. Drive like the Bluesmobile through the wreckage of the old publishing model!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RagingBoner posted:

Hey, some of us are on the west coast and can't crank up their pledges until they get home from work.

That is a little depressing though . . . Maybe it will take a day or two for word to really get out?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

RagingBoner posted:

I'll sell all my guns if he does to raise more money.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I will also sell all of AxeManiac's guns.

HondaCivet, I would not worry too much about it just yet--the word cannot have gotten out to everyone yet. Still, I would be curious as to whether there are more "AGAGAGA OBSIDIAN!!!" fans out there than "AAAAAAHHHHH WASTELAND 2????" fans. What this means in layperson's terms is "I bet the majority already put in the most they were willing to donate," though this will still up plenty of donations and bring in lots of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I'm probably the billionth one posting this, but I'm upping my pledge. MCA is, in my opinion, a better RPG designer than anyone else currently attached, and having him would be a huge coup.

Does Canada count as international shipping? I'm assuming so, but for a lot of things it doesn't.

• Locked thread