Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ulmont posted:

While Buford Highway definitely has more authentic pho, the Moto restaurant at Cheshire Bridge and Old Lenox Road is probably closer and pretty good (although it's been a while since I was there, and they are in a location that is death to restaurants, so you never know):
http://motovietnamesegrill.net/

Com in Dunwoody has some good pho as well, if you're ever on the north side of town. There's also Dua downtown on Broad Street, but honestly I don't like Dua's pho that much myself. (Their complete lack of bahn mi despite being a downtown lunch joint is also a terrible shame.)

Edit: Speaking of downtown, there's a new Mediterranean place on the corner of Walton and Farlie, Baraka Shawarma. Had some chicken kabsa with a side of tabouli and it was very good; the rice was amazing. Also can't wait to see how Le French Quarter Cafe in the Healey building turns out, and this summer a couple guys who ran a food truck in LA are opening an Indian place, NaanStop, on Broad Street; looking forward to that for sure.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone see that guy who parked his giant grill right in the middle of Tech Square and was selling BBQ directly from it. I didn't see a sign or anything. He just had his grill on wheels towed behind a big white pickup truck.

There was a line of students there and it smelled good from my car. It's too bad I was driving to have lunch with some folks or I would have stopped and tried it out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Pho Bac on buford is pretty good. all my favorite places on buford have closed, but generally you can't go wrong up there.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

mindphlux posted:

Pho Bac on buford is pretty good. all my favorite places on buford have closed, but generally you can't go wrong up there.

Pho #1 for me.

But I really think that Pho is one of those things that unless its very terrible, you fall in love at the first place you try it.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

godzirraRAWR posted:

But I really think that Pho is one of those things that unless its very terrible, you fall in love at the first place you try it.

Very true! And I have yet to find terrible pho. We tried out Pho Dai Loi tonight per Venutolo's suggestion and it was exactly what I wanted. Very similar to my regular pho place up in the Vietnamese/Korean neighborhood in northern VA where I lived. As an added bonus, the little Buddhist shrine they had by the register contained not only the usual oranges, bottled water, and incense, but also a pack of Newports! Ancestors need a smoke once in awhile too.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

mindphlux posted:

more traditional menu?
I mean, it's not some crazy avant garde poo poo, but a lot of the accompaniments to the entrees have somewhat unusual ingredients or combinations that make her feel a little weird about the menu.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mango sentinel posted:

I mean, it's not some crazy avant garde poo poo, but a lot of the accompaniments to the entrees have somewhat unusual ingredients or combinations that make her feel a little weird about the menu.

They're using less common ingredients, but I don't see anything all that weird on their menu. Is your wife just uneasy because she doesn't know what they are? Mostly they seem to be just various veggies, i.e.:

GA Trout dashi: benne gnocchi, tokyo bekana, yellow foot mushroom, radish, honey tangelo

is basically just trout with a mushroom/kelp broth, sesame dumplings, cabbage, mushroom, radish, and tangerine. There's probably a lot of specific ingredients on the menu your wife hasn't tried, but most of it is going to be similar to food she's eaten before (unless she's literally lived on nothing but Chicken McNuggets for the past twenty years). The wait staff at a place like that ought to know the menu and be able to explain what each dish is, so she could always ask about anything she's not sure of.

If her objection is more along the lines of "Eww, I've never had fish and mushrooms together, so it must be strange and scary!" rather than "What the gently caress is a tokyo bekana?", maybe a fine dining place isn't really her cup of tea, though...

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

godzirraRAWR posted:

Pho #1 for me.

If it counts for anything Pho #1 is like the 7th place I had pho and it's my favorite in the area as well.

mickeymickey posted:

Very true! And I have yet to find terrible pho. We tried out Pho Dai Loi tonight per Venutolo's suggestion and it was exactly what I wanted. Very similar to my regular pho place up in the Vietnamese/Korean neighborhood in northern VA where I lived.

'Sup DC/NoVA transplant, I'm from Alexandria. Did you ever go to that pho joint a couple blocks into the bad side of the Columbia Heights WMATA station (who's name currently escapes me)?

Atlanta food is pretty decent, my biggest complaint is the lack of Middle Eastern food (especially regional Palestinian/Jordanian/Syrian food) that was so plentiful around Falls Church. I went back up for my birthday and absolutely annihilated a plate of Damascus shawarma and meat pies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dennyk posted:

They're using less common ingredients, but I don't see anything all that weird on their menu. Is your wife just uneasy because she doesn't know what they are? Mostly they seem to be just various veggies, i.e.:
She watches a lot of cooking shows, so she's knows what everything in that dish is, she just dislikes mushrooms in general and fruit in savory dishes. She's just picky, but I'm sure can find something that doesn't sound gross to her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

Atlanta food is pretty decent, my biggest complaint is the lack of Middle Eastern food (especially regional Palestinian/Jordanian/Syrian food) that was so plentiful around Falls Church. I went back up for my birthday and absolutely annihilated a plate of Damascus shawarma and meat pies.
One of my best friends is Palestinian, and I've never heard him complain about a lack of Middle Eastern options. We eat a Mediterranean Grill a lot, though that's hardly fancy cuisine. I think there are some nicer places in east Decatur, near Lawrenceville Highway.

Cerebellum
May 15, 2007
Any recommendations for the Chamblee area? Just moved here from OTP and we're looking for some tasty but affordable restaurants. The boyfriend and I like anything from BBQ to Indian to Thai, but we're not really into seafood.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Cerebellum posted:

Any recommendations for the Chamblee area? Just moved here from OTP and we're looking for some tasty but affordable restaurants. The boyfriend and I like anything from BBQ to Indian to Thai, but we're not really into seafood.

I'm not sure how far you're looking, but here are my suggestions of stuff that would basically be between Buckhead and Duluth along-ish 85 in Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Duluth, or other non-Atlanta proper areas near 85:

Along Buford Highway between 285 and Clairmont Road (best four miles of food around) you can find Las Tortas Locas, Havana Restaurant, Chef Liu, Ming's BBQ, Quoc Huong, Pho Dai Loi, Quan Ba, Crawfish Shack Seafood, Pho Bac, El Señor Taco, Nam Phuong, El Taco Veloz, Viet Tofu, Taquerîa El Rey Del Taco, Mini Hot Pot, Mozart Bakery, Penang. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Other places I like that I would think would be pretty accessible from the Chamblee area: Bleu House Market (my favorite place to eat these days), Sushi House Hayakawa, Community Q BBQ (my vote for the best BBQ in Atlanta), Cho Sun Ok, Shoya Izakawa, Han Il Kwan, Assi Plaza food court, friend chicken place in Super H Market (on Pleasant Hill?), Iron Age, BBQ Chicken, Mega Taco.

Obviously not a very focused list of place, so just look them up and figure out what appeals to you.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

mindphlux posted:

what is there to mention? it's not bad or anything, but it is just a relatively cheap local chain taco place...

This is not true. Not even like 'I disagree with your opinion.' It is factually incorrect. Chef Eddie has been nominated for Beard awards two years in a row now. The charros beans, collards, and corn chowder are the best example of their kind I've ever had. Sure, they were just as good back when he was doing the Sundown Cafe on Cheshire Bridge, but they continue to be spectacular. The tacos are also pretty phenomenal. This is why it takes an hour to get your tacos if you try to go there around lunchtime on a weekday.

I'm not sure what you're getting at or if you are thinking of something else, but Taqueria del Sol is a great restaurant and chef Eddie has been a highpoint of Atlanta for longer than I've been alive. Telling people who don't know that's it's just like Twisted Taco or something is doing a major disservice.

Also, I want to talk about :

Shoya Izakaya. One of Atlanta's more Japanese Japanese restaurants, the majority of the customers are going to be speaking that and it's clear the menu is in Japanese first, English second. It's a traditional Izakaya, which is a kind of drinking establishment and you can read about it on their website. They have wonderful noodles (Try the wasabi leaf ochazuke- it will change your understanding of Japanese soup [technically, this is a rice soup]) excellent tempura and kushiyaki, and my personal favorite Sushi in the city.

They have Kirin Ichiban and Sapporo on draft (which will be served to you in ceramic glasses/pitchers) a very substantial sake list, and the largest selection of shochu I've seen. Sit at the sushi bar and speak to Hai, the chef. He'll be happy to tell you all about what kind of new booze you should try. The kushiyaki/rice dishes are cheap, you can eat well for less than ten bucks. The sushi can be expensive (surprise!)

As an added bonus, being right next to H Mart at the end of Peachtree Industrial, you can go do your grocery shopping for asian ingredients (and everything else) right next door.

Local Three- A collaboration between chef Chris Hall and the dudes from Muss and Turner's, this sits where Joel used to be on Northside Parkway near Howell Mill. I've never had anything I didn't love. The things that really stand out to me have been the braised beef cheeks, the venison medallions, and the blued trout. Oh yes, and the various pig product appetizers, or the pimento cheese, boysenberry, and chicken liver pate appetizer. Chris Hall knows how to have a good time with traditional foods that have lost popularity and give them an interesting twist.

Also has a pretty substantial whiskey and Bourbon bar. My favorite drink is their unique take on the sidecar. It's pricy, so there's that. Also, I may be somewhat biased because the chef's wife was my high school Chemistry teacher.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Centurium posted:

This is not true. Not even like 'I disagree with your opinion.' It is factually incorrect. Chef Eddie has been nominated for Beard awards two years in a row now. The charros beans, collards, and corn chowder are the best example of their kind I've ever had. Sure, they were just as good back when he was doing the Sundown Cafe on Cheshire Bridge, but they continue to be spectacular. The tacos are also pretty phenomenal. This is why it takes an hour to get your tacos if you try to go there around lunchtime on a weekday.

I'm not sure what you're getting at or if you are thinking of something else, but Taqueria del Sol is a great restaurant and chef Eddie has been a highpoint of Atlanta for longer than I've been alive. Telling people who don't know that's it's just like Twisted Taco or something is doing a major disservice.

I mean, I'm willing to stand corrected. I don't know much about the owner - if he's old hat atlanta, that's new to me, and fair enough.

I did know about the james beard nominations, but they're nominations for being an 'outstanding restauranteur'. which I certainly will not argue with. the lines are always out the door. but the lines are for fried chicken in a flour tortilla with pico de gallo thrown on top, fried fish in a flour tortilla with tartar sauce thrown on top, and some pretty below average margaritas. I mean, you gotta hand it to the guy, he knows Atlanta.

but to reiterate, aside from being snobby about the quality of the food, I don't dislike the restaurant(s). I'm in the mood for fried chicken in a flour tortilla from time to time, and their version is pretty tasty. I agree the chowder is tasty. all I'm saying is, don't think taqueria del sol makes the cut for 'best of atlanta' as far as outstanding restaurants go. You're right, it's by no means a 'twisted taco' - but I still wouldn't even mention it to someone visiting from out of town. and again, that's just based on my opinion, taste, friends, et cetera - I'm not saying it's unrecommendable.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
I've got no beef with Taqueria del Sol, but I'd recommend Hankook over it in a heartbeat.

Speaking of Shoya Izakaya, which is great if not a little pricey, does anyone know of a good place to get takoyaki in town? Shoya has pretty delicious takoyaki but it's 4 for $5 and I'm used to a dozen for $6 from food trucks in L.A. Any other authentic Japanese restaurant recommendations would be appreciated as well!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

roobots posted:

I've got no beef with Taqueria del Sol, but I'd recommend Hankook over it in a heartbeat.

Speaking of Shoya Izakaya, which is great if not a little pricey, does anyone know of a good place to get takoyaki in town? Shoya has pretty delicious takoyaki but it's 4 for $5 and I'm used to a dozen for $6 from food trucks in L.A. Any other authentic Japanese restaurant recommendations would be appreciated as well!

just gonna beat my 'hachiguchi jr' drum. theirs is pretty good. I've had it at taka too, not shabby. even ru-sans (buckhead) has it, but theirs was actually sort of bad...

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

just gonna beat my 'hachiguchi jr' drum. theirs is pretty good. I've had it at taka too, not shabby. even ru-sans (buckhead) has it, but theirs was actually sort of bad...

Well, it IS Buckhead Ru-San's, so it should kind of be expected.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009
This thread is awesome. I head up the road from time to time for concerts and the like and I've always wanted to try Ethiopian, which seem not to exist in north central florida -- do y'all have any recommendations?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Madame Psychosis posted:

This thread is awesome. I head up the road from time to time for concerts and the like and I've always wanted to try Ethiopian, which seem not to exist in north central florida -- do y'all have any recommendations?

My Ethiopian bar manager has recommended Desta to me several times, but I've yet to try it. I could recommend it based on his rave reviews though.

kontona
May 3, 2003

RHIN0002 posted:

My Ethiopian bar manager has recommended Desta to me several times, but I've yet to try it. I could recommend it based on his rave reviews though.

desta's great, but i think ghion's is better. (an ethiopian cab driver recommended it to me.)

drat, i kinda want some ethiopian food now.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So, anybody got a handle on the state of the food truck scene to come this summer? Looks like Howell Mill Food Park has been scrapped somehow after an OK showing last year, and now there's at least one new giant field getting situated that's supposed to be a hub for the lot of them?

kontona
May 3, 2003

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/04/11/the-atlanta-food-truck-park-to-open-this-month/

this sounds p awesome.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
In case any 85N OTP folks are interested, my favorite lunch place (and one of my favorite places in all of metro Atlanta) is having a BBQ this Saturday: http://www.facebook.com/events/284086658337214/

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

venutolo posted:

In case any 85N OTP folks are interested, my favorite lunch place (and one of my favorite places in all of metro Atlanta) is having a BBQ this Saturday: http://www.facebook.com/events/284086658337214/

Wow that's pretty crazy. Wish I could make it!

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2012/apr/05/the-dish-bleu-house-market/

"Chef Bryan" is one of my old buddies that got hired away from someplace in athens to work there. And I had no idea till just now.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

Wow that's pretty crazy. Wish I could make it!

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2012/apr/05/the-dish-bleu-house-market/

"Chef Bryan" is one of my old buddies that got hired away from someplace in athens to work there. And I had no idea till just now.

Bryan is a really good guy. I really enjoy talking to him while I'm there, and I think he makes some great food.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there any good paella in town? And if there is, will they make it without shrimp?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have never had any that had socarrat on it, so I'd say no. one of those things that's simple enough you should probably just make it yourself if you want it done right. I think most restaurants just can't be bothered?

I went to one place that has since closed called "Cuerno" that had the closest thing to a good paella I've ever seen in town(snails and all) but even they were missing the crunchy rice. I asked how people were liking their paella, and they were like 'yeah you're one of three people all week who even ordered the paella.

if you're just hounding for crunchy delicious rice dishes though, try http://www.yelp.com/biz/woo-nam-jeong-stone-bowl-house-atlanta woo nam stone bowl restaurant. their bibimbap is served in a crazy hot stone vessel, and they'll actually get mad at you if you mix up your poo poo in a way unconducive to getting a crunchy rice bottom. which is good.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone been to Curly's Chicken on Howell yet? http://curlysfriedchicken.com/

I'm thinking of going by for lunch.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
If you guys haven't been to Waikikie Hawaiian BBQ yet, you are missing out. On top of having awesome food, their shave ice is great, and they have Kona Pipeline Porter on draft.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AgentHaiTo posted:

Anyone been to Curly's Chicken on Howell yet? http://curlysfriedchicken.com/

I'm thinking of going by for lunch.

It's drat good fried chicken, but it's no Le Roy's Fried Chicken (which used to be in the same spot, part owned by the Fellini's / La Fonda folks). My guess is that Le Roy's was just too fussy and expensive, even though you got a loving huge piece of chicken, and it was so delicious that it could drive a person insane. I hope that she (Julia Le Roy) goes on to do some other good things.

Here's a restaurant I haven't seen on the list thus far (a travesty): H. Harper Station on Memorial Drive in Reynoldstown, on the Beltline. It's a former train station, and the decor reflects that in a really lovely way. Their menu is small and changes seasonally, but I've never had a bad dish there (the pork belly(?) I had there last week was groin-grabbingly transcendent). Their cocktail menu is huge, and a lot of the drinks are unique to the establishment. My personal favorite is The Girl From the North Country, a gin-based drink with thyme, lemon, and an egg white froth on top.

Downsides: pricey, valet parking on weekends, pretty far from most places where people live.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

It's drat good fried chicken, but it's no Le Roy's Fried Chicken (which used to be in the same spot, part owned by the Fellini's / La Fonda folks). My guess is that Le Roy's was just too fussy and expensive, even though you got a loving huge piece of chicken, and it was so delicious that it could drive a person insane. I hope that she (Julia Le Roy) goes on to do some other good things.

Ok, so I wasn't crazy because I knew that place had a different name. It's too bad I never went by when it was Le Roy's if it was really that good. She must not have been there very long.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i went to le roy's a couple of times before it closed.

i thought it was just decent to be honest. you get a giant piece of chicken, and le roy has clout, but it didn't live up to the hype. plus the sides were pretty weak.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kontona posted:

i went to le roy's a couple of times before it closed.

i thought it was just decent to be honest. you get a giant piece of chicken, and le roy has clout, but it didn't live up to the hype. plus the sides were pretty weak.

I'll give you that; their mac and cheese was pretty dull. I thought their collards were tasty, though. Maybe I don't get enough fried chicken, but I'd argue that their fried chicken surpassed the hype.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone up on catering?

I am going to get married here in Atlanta sometime in the next uhhh year I guess. I'm looking for decent/good restaurants that cater or take 50+ people for a reception. I have felt pretty meh about food options my friends have gone with from locations that are expensive and require approved caterers from a list. Our thinking is that for 50 or 60 bucks a person, we can just get a shitload of food from a local restaurant that does massive takeout orders. Alternatively there are some prix fixe menus out there that would be awesome.

We have a few ideas right now but what do you guys suggest? Nothing's too unfancy, one of our ideas is Taqueria Del Sol.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 17, 2012

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

It was pretty good. 8 bucks for 3 thighs, cole slaw, a large side of collard greens, sweet tea and a slice of white bread is not bad :)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

signalnoise posted:

Anyone up on catering?

I nominate The Varsity

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Safety Dance posted:

Here's a restaurant I haven't seen on the list thus far (a travesty): H. Harper Station on Memorial Drive in Reynoldstown, on the Beltline. It's a former train station, and the decor reflects that in a really lovely way. Their menu is small and changes seasonally, but I've never had a bad dish there (the pork belly(?) I had there last week was groin-grabbingly transcendent). Their cocktail menu is huge, and a lot of the drinks are unique to the establishment. My personal favorite is The Girl From the North Country, a gin-based drink with thyme, lemon, and an egg white froth on top.

Downsides: pricey, valet parking on weekends, pretty far from most places where people live.

yeah, I second everything in this post. I've only been twice, but all this is true. I enjoyed both my meals a lot - really worth going to.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good (ideally not too expensive) restaurant in the Emory, Druid Hills, Decatur, or Midtown areas (with ample parking) that would handle a party of about 20 well? I'm drawing blanks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Can anyone recommend a good (ideally not too expensive) restaurant in the Emory, Druid Hills, Decatur, or Midtown areas (with ample parking) that would handle a party of about 20 well? I'm drawing blanks.
La Parilla in Toco Hills comes to mind. There's also a pasta place a la Figo next door and an Outback Steakhouse on the other side of the shopping center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Safety Dance posted:

You need to be more specific. 20 isn't all that many people and I feel like most restaurants could handle that number without much notice. To begin with, "not too expensive" is completely subjective. What kind of food are you looking for? Is one person paying for this or will it be separate? Are you looking for a home-style sort of meal? Will you want wine or other drinks? Does everybody need to be able to hear everyone else? Does everybody need to be able to listen to one person?

If all you need is to get food inside of 20 people for 10-20 dollars, then Taco Mac in Downtown Decatur would be perfectly fine.