Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg

Casao posted:

what's the Rithmatist?

Another YA book but it sounds pretty cool. Here's how Brandon describes it:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

The Rithmatist is a YA novel I wrote in 2007, right before the Wheel of Time deal hit me like a freight train. And because I was so busy with that, I didn’t have time to get back to The Rithmatist and play with it, and I’m only now getting to the point where I’ll be able to do some revisions and things, because I’ve been breakneck these last few years and we’re only now slowing down a little. Tor’s going to publish it, but the release is probably a few years off because of the workload involved with the Wheel of Time.

But it’s a really fun book. I wrote it when I was supposed to be working on other things back in 2007, and it’s actually gearpunk—which is not steampunk, but more Da Vinci-era technology, extrapolated hundreds of years into the future. It’s very whimsical; it’s about a boy who goes to magic school, which you’ve seen before, except that he doesn’t have any magical powers, and it’s not something you can learn in this world. He only gets in because his mother is a cleaning lady who works at the school, so he gets free tuition.

So he goes to get a world-class education, but he doesn’t go to the magic classes, just all the other classes. It’s like a private school that also happens to train wizards. I don’t want to get too much into it, but the magic is chalkboard-based; you draw these very elaborate designs that do certain things, and you kind of duel with it. It’s kind of like playing magical chalkboard Starcraft, in a gearpunk world, told through the eyes of the unmagical son of the cleaning lady. It’s very fun.

http://www.fantasy-magazine.com/new/new-nonfiction/feature-interview-brandon-sanderson/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alcatraz is a pretty mixed bag. As is typical Sanderson, the magic system and the world are really well constructed even if it borrows some themes from other books. However the actual plot and way the story progresses is just not that great. I got about halfway through the second book before I stopped for some reason and I haven't bothered to keep reading.

If you have kids, they might like it because of its quirky nature, but otherwise I would only pick it up if you must read everything Sanderson writes and you have disposable income.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh god, the voice of Harmony in Marsh's head will be replaced with Kelsier.

The poor bastard.

Well I'm sure Sazed wouldn't let him have the mic the WHOLE time...would he?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

So maybe I'm way late on this, but I realized today that Mistborn are basically Jedi.

You've the the TK (limited to metal, true) that they use to hurl themselves around and disarm/attack enemies, the ability to affect emotions, enhanced senses/toughness and the ability to predict the immediate future in combat making them nearly unbeatable unless you can do the same.

Pretty much the only thing they're missing is the longer term force vision stuff. It actually makes me want to read a Sanderson Star Wars novel.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Is there any significance to the Kholin family's naming pattern? The almost-palindrome pattern seems to be universal among major lighteyes, so it's weird we don't even get a throwaway comment about them not following it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Casao posted:

So maybe I'm way late on this, but I realized today that Mistborn are basically Jedi.

You've the the TK (limited to metal, true) that they use to hurl themselves around and disarm/attack enemies, the ability to affect emotions, enhanced senses/toughness and the ability to predict the immediate future in combat making them nearly unbeatable unless you can do the same.

Pretty much the only thing they're missing is the longer term force vision stuff. It actually makes me want to read a Sanderson Star Wars novel.

In as much as any magic user in fantasy stuff is a jedi, sure.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Casao posted:

I'm pretty sure I read something BSand wrote somewhere (probably in the first Mistborn annotations) about how he made the metal pushing and pulling be direct one-directional forces because he was always dissatisfied with the way Jedi TK worked.

but yes, if Brandon wrote a Star Wars novel we might actually have Star Wars novels worth reading again.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Clockwork Gadget posted:

but yes, if Brandon wrote a Star Wars novel we might actually have Star Wars novels worth reading again.

What do you mean, "again?"

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Fair point.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Amarkov posted:

Is there any significance to the Kholin family's naming pattern? The almost-palindrome pattern seems to be universal among major lighteyes, so it's weird we don't even get a throwaway comment about them not following it.

There was a very short mention of how the symbols of the houses are all mirrored, and town names are all mirrored as well. It felt like a "Yes, this is important, but not right now" sentence, to me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

IRQ posted:

In as much as any magic user in fantasy stuff is a jedi, sure.

No, this is pretty much direct one for one on the powers. Compare it to Elantris, Warbreaker, Stormlighht Archives and even the other magic systems from Mistborn. The only difference is the metal push pull instead of straight t.k.

Anyway, just occurred to me and made me want a Sanderson Star Wars book.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon's off to Australia for the next month and its a mighty long flight from Salt Lake City to the land down under. You know what that means...
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1069/My-Australian-Schedule-Perth-Melbourne-Sydney-Gold-Coast

Brandon Sanderson posted:

On Sunday my flight leaves for Australia, and I arrive on Tuesday. It's a long flight.

My schedule is below. I hope to see many of you there!

Doom-Con, Swancon 37, Perth, Australia

Date: April 5–9, 2012 (Easter weekend)
Place: Doom-Con, Swancon 37
Address: 207 Adelaide Terrace
Perth, Western Australia 6000
Australia
Type: Convention
Schedule: Specific events are located here, but are subject to change.

Supanova Melbourne 2012, Australia

Date: April 13–15, 2012
Place: Supanova Melbourne 2012
Address: Melbourne Showgrounds
Epsom Road
Ascot Vale
Victoria 3032 Australia

Dendy Opera Quays, Sydney, Australia

Date: April 18, 2012 Time: 6:30–9:30 p.m.
Place: Dendy Cinemas Opera Quays
Address: Shop 9
2 East Circular Quay
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia
Event organized by Dymocks North Sydney
Phone: (02) 9956 6771
Type: Signing

Supanova Gold Coast 2012, Australia

Date: April 20–22, 2012
Place: Supanova Gold Coast 2012
Address: Gold Coast Convention & Exhibition Centre
2684 Gold Coast Highway, Broadbeach
QLD 4218, Australia

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Star Wars has been a stale universe for over 15 years and Brandon shouldn't waste his time with it.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Maytag posted:

Star Wars has been a stale universe for over 15 years and Brandon shouldn't waste his time with it.

Especially when he's already got his own sci-fi trilogy planned (in like 10 years, but still).

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Kruller posted:

There was a very short mention of how the symbols of the houses are all mirrored, and town names are all mirrored as well. It felt like a "Yes, this is important, but not right now" sentence, to me.

Well, yeah. It was just that every other mirroring I can think of got an explicit mention, so I assumed this one would be too.

There better be a lot more about Kalak in book 2. This is very obviously his fault, but I want to know why he corrupted the names of all the other heralds to palindromes.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
No Sanderson. Stop. Making up a million fake words does not make you a better author. Making up a few weird quirks and then basing a culture around them doesn't count as detailed world-building.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Above Our Own posted:

No Sanderson. Stop. Making up a million fake words does not make you a better author. Making up a few weird quirks and then basing a culture around them doesn't count as detailed world-building.

Yeah cause envisioning a world where horrible magic charged hurricane force storms ravage across the entirety of the world, and extrapolating the evolutionary path of the world isn't awesome as hell.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Victorkm posted:

Yeah cause envisioning a world where horrible magic charged hurricane force storms ravage across the entirety of the world, and extrapolating the evolutionary path of the world isn't awesome as hell.
Agreed. My other criticism so far is that his witty characters aren't clever at all and the made up conversations they have with other people to own them and demonstrate their caustic wit really suck and make me cringe.

But I want to see that gravity lashing man beat up some more people so I'm going to keep reading.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
I hate everything about this author and his writing but I'll never stop reading!

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Help I cannot differentiate specific criticism from unilateral dislike because I am retarded!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Kelsier/Moraine Fight posted:

Doesn’t count. You became a disembodied voice that may or may not have actually been speaking into the mind of a young boy who was probably insane.”

“Yes,” Kelsier said, “but my series has a long way to go yet. Who knows what could happen? I’ve heard that some very remarkable things can happen with spikes . . .”

Well. There's a thing.

The Final Empire posted:

The Lord Ruler ripped one of the spears from his own body, then slammed it down through Kelsier’s chest.

And the Church of the Survivor was definitely mentioned in the Alloy of Law.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

coffeetable posted:

Well. There's a thing.

Yeah. That's definitely a thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon gets a shoutout on a CNN story thats mostly about season 2 of GOT.
http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/30/mainstream-finally-believes-fantasy-fans/

quote:

But New York Times bestselling fantasy author Brandon Sanderson warns that not just any fantasy adaptation will do. Diehard fans can smell a slapped together adaptation a mile away.

They've seen too many bad fantasy films to shell out their cash just because there’s a dragon on the movie poster, he said. “Bad fantasy movies are going to do just as poorly as bad movies of any genre. If it’s a great film it will do well, if it’s not it won’t.”

Sanderson cites 2006’s "Eragon" as an example of a highly-anticipated fantasy adaptation that failed to find an audience. Although "Eragon" made $75 million at the domestic box office, it never went on to start the film franchise producers were hoping for. “I think that they (Hollywood) don’t like to look at the execution, they only look at the genre," Sanderson said. "Execution matters.”

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

How the hell did I never catch that the Lord Ruler spiked Kelsier like that?

That is A Thing with capital letters.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Wow, I totally missed that too.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

But... The kandra took Kelsier's bones didn't he?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Superstring posted:

But... The kandra took Kelsier's bones didn't he?

But there's still a Kelsier'd spike out there somewhere, presumably, and who knows what or how much of him is in it. And yes, maybe the Kandra/Faceless Immortals have it, which means Sazed has ample opportunity to do his old buddy a favor at some point.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ConfusedUs posted:

:aaaaa:

Speaking of things, in the climax of Mystborn, how did they know to capture the Renault barge? I mean we were supposed to think that Marsh told them, but we later learn he didn't. Was it ever explained?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

crazylakerfan posted:

:aaaaa:

Speaking of things, in the climax of Mystborn, how did they know to capture the Renault barge? I mean we were supposed to think that Marsh told them, but we later learn he didn't. Was it ever explained?

Captured soldiers from the battle that killed most of their army.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cartoon Man posted:

Brandon's off to Australia for the next month and its a mighty long flight from Salt Lake City to the land down under. You know what that means...

Bets on how many books he writes on the trip?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

neongrey posted:

I say at least a novel or two novellas. It's what 14 hour plane flight?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

neongrey posted:

He'll write "The Winds of Winter"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

calandryll posted:

I say at least a novel or two novellas. It's what 14 hour plane flight?

14 hours one-way, so at least 28 hours on the plane, plus whatever layovers he has between flights.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

coffeetable posted:

Well. There's a thing.

ahhhh. How had I missed this before? Brandon oh my god my brain what are you doing to me.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ConfusedUs posted:

A spear would be Steel or Iron right? Would only carry one allomantic power then, and given that its Kelsier it's probably Steel or Iron burning ability.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

veekie posted:

A spear would be Steel or Iron right? Would only carry one allomantic power then, and given that its Kelsier it's probably Steel or Iron burning ability.

Googling hemalurgy (because I'm a nerd like this), iron steals strength and steel steals the physical allomantic powers. Same lil' wiki says feruchemists store identity in aluminium though, but god knows how you could twist that into a resurrection plot.

Alternatively Sanderson's just leading us on.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 3, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

coffeetable posted:

Googling hemalurgy (because I'm a nerd like this), iron steals strength and steel steals the physical allomantic powers. Same lil' wiki says feruchemists store identity in aluminium though, but god knows how you could twist that into a resurrection plot.

Alternatively Sanderson's just leading us on.

Alternatively, what if it went the other way? What could the spear have taken from the Lord Ruler and given to Kelsier before his death?

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer
Good news! A new Sanderson book is coming out in December 2012. It sounds pretty interesting. Its called The Emperor's Soul

Its supposed to be half the length of Alloy of Law, and set in the Cosmere somewhere.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Forgermancy? Historimancy? Archeomancy? Whatever the gently caress you call it that sounds incredible. I can't wait :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Does this guy not freakin' sleep? We should turn his focus to science, I want my hoverboard, cure for cancer and flying cars dammit!