Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012
My preferred Chinese fried rice: egg, julienne carrot, bean sprouts, scallion (green), shiitake mushroom. Sauce: mostly soy with touches of low sodium chicken base, a random rice spirit, and oyster sauce. Pinch of sugar and MSG. Reading other recipes that seems to be mostly standard.

That's when I'm trying to impress though. Honestly fried rice for me is my go-to "poo poo these veggies are going bad" dish.

I've never actually tried Thai style fried rice but that honestly sounds loving delicious. I have to try that soon

Do typical Chinese grocers sell tamarind? I mean I already have tons of tamarind in my house but I'm just curious. Last time I made pad thai I had to hit up three different grocery stores just to get all the ingredients. Ans while we're on the topic, is tamarind used in any Chinese cuisines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ovanova posted:

My preferred Chinese fried rice: egg, julienne carrot, bean sprouts, scallion (green), shiitake mushroom. Sauce: mostly soy with touches of low sodium chicken base, a random rice spirit, and oyster sauce. Pinch of sugar and MSG. Reading other recipes that seems to be mostly standard.

That's when I'm trying to impress though. Honestly fried rice for me is my go-to "poo poo these veggies are going bad" dish.

I've never actually tried Thai style fried rice but that honestly sounds loving delicious. I have to try that soon

Do typical Chinese grocers sell tamarind? I mean I already have tons of tamarind in my house but I'm just curious. Last time I made pad thai I had to hit up three different grocery stores just to get all the ingredients. Ans while we're on the topic, is tamarind used in any Chinese cuisines?

You're not alone in that fried rice is a cleanthefridge dish. When I was growing up, that's what it was, and it still is a majority of the time still. I almost never cook a raw meat just for the purpose of fried rice.

Tamarind should be at any Asian or Latin American grocery. I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd guess that tamarind would be in some southern and south western Chinese foods, as it is an important ingredient in both south east asian foods, and in north indian foods.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
What do the Koreans put in their fried rice that makes it so awesome, just tons of green onion?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

indoflaven posted:

What do the Koreans put in their fried rice that makes it so awesome, just tons of green onion?

kimchi

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Tamarind should be at any Asian or Latin American grocery. I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd guess that tamarind would be in some southern and south western Chinese foods, as it is an important ingredient in both south east asian foods, and in north indian foods.

South Indian too, it's what you base sambar and rasam on. Tamarind pulp can be had dried at any Vietnamese or Thai supermarket, and also at most generic Asian stores.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

indoflaven posted:

Kimchi and Spam.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Last night we went out to Chop Chop here in Edinburgh (nice un-westernized chinese, lots of great dumplings). One of the non-dumpling dishes that was put on our table was some form of stir-fried strips of aubergine/eggplant with garlic, sesame and some scallion. Great dish with nicely cooked but still slightly crunchy-on-the-outside eggplant, lovely sauce and a garlicky kick.

I've looked through Fuchsia Dunlop's revolutionairy chinese cookbook (big thank you to everyone who recommended her, by the way!) - she's got a numner of eggplant-based dishes in there, but sadly not the one I'm looking for.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pim01 posted:

Last night we went out to Chop Chop here in Edinburgh (nice un-westernized chinese, lots of great dumplings). One of the non-dumpling dishes that was put on our table was some form of stir-fried strips of aubergine/eggplant with garlic, sesame and some scallion. Great dish with nicely cooked but still slightly crunchy-on-the-outside eggplant, lovely sauce and a garlicky kick.

I've looked through Fuchsia Dunlop's revolutionairy chinese cookbook (big thank you to everyone who recommended her, by the way!) - she's got a numner of eggplant-based dishes in there, but sadly not the one I'm looking for.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be?
Could be fish-fragrant eggplant. Fuchsia Dunlop (who else???) has a recipe in Land of Plenty that I can type up if you want.

EDIT: I checked their website to see if they might have had the characters or the Pinyin, and :laffo: "Can a billion people be wrong?"

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 25, 2012

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Hahaha, that's typical of her :).

That sounds like a likely candidate - it'd be great if you could type it up!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pim01 posted:

Hahaha, that's typical of her :).

That sounds like a likely candidate - it'd be great if you could type it up!
1 1/3 - 1 2/3 lbs eggplants
Salt
Peanut or corn oil for deep-frying
1 1/2 tablespoons Sichuanese chili bean paste
3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
3 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 1/3 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
1 1/2 teaspoons Chinkiang or Chinese black vinegar
4 scallions, green parts only, sliced into fine rings
1 teaspoon sesame oil

1. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise then crosswise. Chop each quarter lengthwise into 3 or 4 evenly sliced chunks. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and leave for at least 30 minutes to draw out some of the juices.
2. In your wok, heat oil for deep-frying to 350-400F. Add the eggplants in batches and deep-fry for 3-4 minutes until slightly golden on the outside. Remove and drain on paper towels.
3. Drain off the oil, rinse the wok if necessary, then return to a high flame with 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Add the chili bean paste and stir-fry for about 20 seconds until the oil is red and fragrant; then add the ginger and garlic and continue to stir-fry for another 20-30 seconds until fragrant.
4. Add the stock, sugar, and soy sauce and mix well. Season with salt to taste if necessary.
5. Add the fried eggplants to the sauce and let them simmer gently for a few minutes to absorb some of the flavors. Then sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over the eggplants and stir in gently to thicken the sauce. Next, stir in the vinegar and scallions and leave for a few seconds until the onions have lost their rawness. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the sesame oil, and serve.

EDIT: I really want some dim sum right now for some reason...:smith:

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 25, 2012

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Cheers! I'll give it a go this week, sounds great :cheers:.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
A really tasty Cantonese (I think? Got it from a Cantonese/Toisan household) recipe is steamed eggplant topped with fried garlic, ginger, and green onion.

You just steam some Chinese/Japanese eggplants that have been sliced into wedges about four inches long until they're very tender, then pour over a sauce of: even amounts of minced garlic and ginger, fried in a healthy amount of peanut oil until it's toasted a nice golden color, at which point you add a glug of light soy sauce and your green onions (chopped into small rounds). Briefly let this sizzle, then remove from the heat and pour over the steamed eggplant. Finish it by drizzling with a bit of sesame oil.

I like to let the eggplant steam in my rice cooker while cooking rice. The finished dish tastes amazing, with the creamy eggplant offset by the savory crisped garlic and ginger. Really wonderful, and I've never seen it on any menu.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

There's a local Sichuan place near my house that is decent but the thing they make there that I find really outstanding is their bitter melon stir fry. The only dish I know how to make with bitter melon is Okinawan Goya Champuru and I can't seem to find any decent recipes for Chinese style bitter melon stir fry on the internet.

I love bitter melon so any help would be much appreciated. A lot of restaurants refuse to serve it to me when I order it, cause they think I won't like it. :smith:

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

hallo spacedog posted:

There's a local Sichuan place near my house that is decent but the thing they make there that I find really outstanding is their bitter melon stir fry. The only dish I know how to make with bitter melon is Okinawan Goya Champuru and I can't seem to find any decent recipes for Chinese style bitter melon stir fry on the internet.

I love bitter melon so any help would be much appreciated. A lot of restaurants refuse to serve it to me when I order it, cause they think I won't like it. :smith:

Bitter melon sliced into thin-ish strips (melon halved the long way, pith taken out, slices about 1/2 cm in width), thin sliced tenderized beef, soy sauce, sugar, black bean paste made from whole fermented black beans. Stir fried, and good. My Cantonese mom makes this.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 26, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Fermented black beans with bitter melon :monocle:. That's brilliant and should totally cut the bitterness. Totally making that with these bitter melons in the fridge.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Those black beans complement the bitter melon very well. The tastes combine to form a delicious and unique savoriness with some bitterness. Yin and yang. Oh, if the sauce is a bit thin, feel free to do your thing with water and corn starch.

The bitter melon takes longer to cook than the meat, so add it earlier and cook until it's tendercrisp before adding the meat. Finish up with the black bean sauce and the soy sauce. Of course, you want the standard flavor enhancers of some ginger and garlic in the oil at the start.

Chunks of onions are great with this dish. Throw them in a couple minutes after the bitter melon.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I will also recommend bitter melon with fermented black beans. I really like it stir fried with thinly sliced flank steak, corn starch, a little sugar, and some soy sauce garlic and ginger. Haven't had it in ages.

Anyone have any good Chinese sweet soup recipes? In particular I'm interested in pureed nut soups that I've only had a handful of times, but it'd be neat to hear about anything at all.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Wow, thanks for the tips everyone! I've got to go get a container of that fermented black bean paste then. It sounds like a good idea.

I also when making goya champuru put a ton of salt on the bitter melon and let it sit a while to draw out the bitter juices. I'm assuming this can be done with Chinese bitter melon as well? (I usually use the spiky 'Indian' one instead of the bumpy Chinese one)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
That would work for Chinese bitter melon IIRC.

By the way, a lazier way of cooking bitter melon would be dicing it, mixing it with beaten egg and simply stir fry the mixture.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
A restaurant near me has a really good "Yellow bean fish" or "yellow bean tofu". I'd like to try to recreate it, but I haven't had any luck at all finding recipes. It has a slightly salty yellow bean sauce with lots of ginger and garlic.

I found a container of yellowish soybeans at the local Asian market, but I really don't know where to go from here. Would the fish usually be steamed with the sauce, ginger and garlic, or is that added later?

Edit: here's a picture!

Sionak fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 30, 2012

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

AriTheDog posted:

Anyone have any good Chinese sweet soup recipes? In particular I'm interested in pureed nut soups that I've only had a handful of times, but it'd be neat to hear about anything at all.

My favorite is mung bean soup:

6 cups water
1 cup mung beans
6 Tbsp sugar

Bring mung beans and water to boil, lower heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes (or slightly more depending on how soft you like your beans), dissolve in the sugar and turn off heat.

You can eat it hot but I like to let it cool and eat it cold.

freudianquips
Nov 7, 2008

gret posted:

6 cups water
1 cup mung beans
6 Tbsp sugar

Bring mung beans and water to boil, lower heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes (or slightly more depending on how soft you like your beans), dissolve in the sugar and turn off heat.

I love when my mom makes this one! She says it is important to use yellow (?) rock sugar, but regular table sugar works in a pinch. I also love adding tapioca pearls to it!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

freudianquips posted:

I love when my mom makes this one! She says it is important to use yellow (?) rock sugar, but regular table sugar works in a pinch. I also love adding tapioca pearls to it!

Yes my mom adds tapioca pearls too. I think I kind of prefer it without the pearls though.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

What kind of pepper is the best replacement for shishitos?

I had some shredded pork with smoked tofu and what I think were shishitos (definitely not bell and not jalapeno) and I want to try to recreate it, but I have no idea what pepper to use that I can actually find at the grocery store.

Really, if anyone has a good recipe for shredded pork and smoked tofu at all that would be awesome.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

gret posted:

6 cups water
1 cup mung beans
6 Tbsp sugar

Thanks! I love this soup but had no idea how to make it. Simple as can be.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Love mung bean soup, especially when it's luke-warm temperature. My mother-in-law makes it with pearl barley and dried Chinese dates (aka jujube or zao qian) as well. It sound strange, but it's incredibly refreshing, with extremely sweet dates in between for contrast.

And yeah, has to be yellow rock sugar.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

gret posted:

6 cups water
1 cup mung beans
6 Tbsp sugar

You can replace the mung beans with azuki beans as well. The azuki bean version, by the way, is a standard dessert in just about every Chinese banquet I have attended. Maybe it is about red being auspicious in Chinese culture.

IoT
Dec 21, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
Any ideas what I can cook with approx 300ml Shoaxing Chinese Rice Wine? (Silk Road brand). I bought a bottle yesterday at my local Asian supermarket to get the value of my purchases over the threshold so I could pay by card.

Tried drinking a glass with the stir fry I cooked last night and didn't like it.

Hoping that if I cook with it I wont have to waste any.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

IoT posted:

Any ideas what I can cook with approx 300ml Shoaxing Chinese Rice Wine? (Silk Road brand). I bought a bottle yesterday at my local Asian supermarket to get the value of my purchases over the threshold so I could pay by card.

Tried drinking a glass with the stir fry I cooked last night and didn't like it.

Hoping that if I cook with it I wont have to waste any.

Unless you bought some really good shaoxing, which is doubtful, you should not drink it. Use only for cooking. It goes into the usual marinade for things, can be used to mellow out the harsh fishiness of seafood, and can go into "drunken" things.

IoT
Dec 21, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

GrAviTy84 posted:

Unless you bought some really good shaoxing, which is doubtful, you should not drink it. Use only for cooking. It goes into the usual marinade for things, can be used to mellow out the harsh fishiness of seafood, and can go into "drunken" things.

Guessing it wasn't the good stuff - £2.50 for 500ml. :)

Thanks will search for some 'drunken' recipes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have the same problem, bought a gallon and just used a couple teaspoons for dumpling, now left with a gallon of the stuff

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

like Gravity says, it's an incredibly common part of most chinese marinades. I virtually always marinade my chicken in equal parts soy sauce and shoaxing.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Use like any other wine. I substitute it in for white wine all the time to give a bit of an asian twist on some dishes. You can also use it to make dipping sauce, to deglaze... there's a lot you can do with it. I go through a bottle of the stuff like every other week (when I'm cooking everyday).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Shanghainese people put wine into loving everything. Look up recipes for red-braised (red-cooked) pork and go to town.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Shaoxing also keeps forever. I keep mine in the fridge, no idea if that makes it last longer, but I'm sure I'll end up using it all in cooking eventually.

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

1 1/3 - 1 2/3 lbs eggplants
Salt
Peanut or corn oil for deep-frying
1 1/2 tablespoons Sichuanese chili bean paste
3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
3 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 1/3 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
1 1/2 teaspoons Chinkiang or Chinese black vinegar
4 scallions, green parts only, sliced into fine rings
1 teaspoon sesame oil

1. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise then crosswise. Chop each quarter lengthwise into 3 or 4 evenly sliced chunks. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and leave for at least 30 minutes to draw out some of the juices.
Do I still have to salt the eggplant if I'm using an Asian variety or can I skip this step?
Also, is it a big deal if I substitute Korean chili bean paste for this?

My former landlady was Chinese and made an amazing eggplant dish. I asked her how to make it, but her instructions were kind of vague and I never did clear up the details. Always regretted not asking her to write it down for me or something.
I'm hoping that this might give me something similar.

I know that she fried the eggplant and that there was a lot of garlic involved by the end. The finished product was also very dark and seemed to have a fair amount of oil in/on it, but never tasted greasy.

I don't even like eggplants and I could not get enough of this dish! It was completely amazing!
I really hope this recipe will give me similar results.

As an aside: This thread is completely awesome and I am slowly but surely working my way through all the recipes. So far everything has been really tasty.
Made zha jiang mian for lunch today.
Followed Gravity's recipe for gai lan with preserved ham (with some modifications) for breakfast. (Substituted Chinese sausage for the ham and bok choy for the gai lan since that's what we had on hand.)
Dan Dan Mian with fried tofu and Chinese sausages for lunch yesterday.
Finished off the last of the Westlake beef soup on Friday.

Red Braised Pork is next on the docket! And then some actual gai lan although probably still with Chinese sausage - 'cause gently caress if those little sausages aren't delicious!
I also have somewhat nebulous plans to try out a friend's recipe for Niu Rou Mien at some point in the near-ish future. Yum! :)

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
You don't need to salt Asian eggplants. As for the chili paste, the big difference seems to be that the Korean version includes glutinous rice and soybeans, which the Sichuanese version lacks. The Sichuanese version uses fava beans, but most I've seen include soybeans as well. I've never used the Korean version, so I can't say what the taste difference will be. Give it a try?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Symbol posted:

...asian eggplants...

...probably still with Chinese sausage - 'cause gently caress if those little sausages aren't delicious!

I also have somewhat nebulous plans to try out a friend's recipe for Niu Rou Mien at some point in the near-ish future. Yum! :)

seconding ghost of reagan past, you don't need to salt and sweat asian eggplants, just cut up and cook.

Congrats on trying all of those recipes, I'm glad they all worked out well.

Chinese sausage is very very similar in flavor to chinese bacon and ham. At least the stuff I've had. The big difference is in the texture, one is ground (obviously) and the others are whole chunks of meat with one being fattier (the bacon). When you run out of the sausages, you should try the others, I think you'd like them.

If that recipe turns out to be good, take a picture of it and post the recipe. That is one of my favorite things ever.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
At the grocery today, some guy from Chongqing told me the best thing I've ever heard: put spicy chili crisp in your dan dan mian.

TRY IT. It is really good. If you don't have spicy chili crisp, you should DEFINITELY get some. Throw it into a simple stir fry for some nice Sichuan flavors. It comes in a jar with a red label, a picture of a slightly upset woman, and is made by Laoganma. I...do not know how to type the characters. But it's really easy to find, and it says "Spicy Chili Crisp" right on the jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The Chinese ham/bacon that I've had also usually isn't very sweet while Chinese sausage is made of sugar. Sichuan also has some fantastic jerky that's kind of vaguely related to ham but not really.