Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So I am in talks to maybe move to Charlotte, NC for work for the next six months. I assume pork bbq grows on trees, but other then that can anyone comment on the local food and booze scene? I will be mostly alone and working with people I cant/don't want to hang out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

So I am in talks to maybe move to Charlotte, NC for work for the next six months. I assume pork bbq grows on trees, but other then that can anyone comment on the local food and booze scene? I will be mostly alone and working with people I cant/don't want to hang out with.

A friend of mine from New York said: 'Charlotte is the only city on the SE coast worth anything and is the only reason I'm here.'

He loves NY for the record. So I expect something of the sort. Pork BBQ isn't as prevalent as you'd expect, I actually haven't had any here and I've been here for over 5 years now. But I'm in the RDU area.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

A friend of mine from New York said: 'Charlotte is the only city on the SE coast worth anything and is the only reason I'm here.'

He loves NY for the record. So I expect something of the sort. Pork BBQ isn't as prevalent as you'd expect, I actually haven't had any here and I've been here for over 5 years now. But I'm in the RDU area.

What's an RUD and how is there no pork?

They want someone in the position "yesterday" so this will be a fast negotiation process.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

What's an RUD and how is there no pork?

They want someone in the position "yesterday" so this will be a fast negotiation process.

RDU is the Raleigh Durham area. It's where the RTP (Research Triangle Park) is. There is pork, I'm just saying, it's not going to be 100% or even 30% of what will be available to you. I haven't had any here because I prefer making my own and some of the best restaurants here don't do BBQ pork.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

RDU is the Raleigh Durham area. It's where the RTP (Research Triangle Park) is. There is pork, I'm just saying, it's not going to be 100% or even 30% of what will be available to you. I haven't had any here because I prefer making my own and some of the best restaurants here don't do BBQ pork.

So like do you sell your pork and can I roll it into some other line item?

But really, any info about the area would be great.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bunnielab posted:

So like do you sell your pork and can I roll it into some other line item?

But really, any info about the area would be great.

I can tell you some generals about the state/the weather, etc. But I don't really know too much about Charlotte specifically besides what my friend's told me. It is pretty much the only 'real city' around this area though.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The Marines motto is Semper Fidelis.

Notably there is no linguistic confusion when we use Latin.

What do you mean "we"? Are you a Marine?

Happy Hat posted:

I thought it was a marines motto thing...

GI Joe murdered this with a Joe named "Gung Ho" who was supposed to be a Marine. It is common knowledge amongst Marines that he was actually a sailor because he dressed like a gay.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
True story, whenever someone says they are "gung ho" about their particular hobby, I imagine that means they dress like this to do it:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Fantastic:
http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/29/10924885-marilyn-hagerty-in-talks-with-anthony-bourdain-for-book-deal

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Oh man. I wonder if, deep down inside, she's a little bit bitter that it was an Olive Garden review late in her life that went viral and caused all these opportunities to happen.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Hey guys!

Worst injury I did to myself is the "pinned myself to the floor by stabbing a chef's knife THROUGH my foot" that most of you know about (and have seen the MS paint drawing).

Sorry I missed soapy titwank chat. :sigh:

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

NosmoKing posted:

Hey guys!

Worst injury I did to myself is the "pinned myself to the floor by stabbing a chef's knife THROUGH my foot" that most of you know about (and have seen the MS paint drawing).

Sorry I missed soapy titwank chat. :sigh:

To jump in on this, a few years ago I dropped a chefs knife and instinctively tried to AVOID it (unlike some of you crazy beautiful bastards), slipped on some oil I hadn't realized I'd spilled and tried to catch all of my weight with just my right arm. I'm finally getting around to having the surgery to fix the near complete destruction of the cartilage in my shoulder, mostly due to the fact that it dislocates every few days now :(

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Without a trace of irony, I say that this woman deserves all the success in the world.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don't mean to clog up GWS with babby chat, but this here's a right cute one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj14ADxaK6c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Aren't you two friends on g+ anyway, I remember hangingout with both of you at once in the past.

Either you or I are getting old. I don't have a clue who VM is. I know who Halal is, I think. But I'm not sure.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think my cutlery collection is missing something, the whole thing fits on a single badly-photographed magnet :(

Victorinox, Burgvogel, Fiskars, Fiskars, Raadvad, Raadvad, Zwilling J.A. Henckels, Raadvad, Zone, Fiskars

Which completely unnecessary sharp-edged item do I need to complete the set?

Also, show off your compensating-iest knives (12 inches, woo!).

EDIT: vvv Which one would you call a carver? Fourth from the left is a bread knife. But a slicer is a good suggestion, it could do double duty as a salmon knife :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 31, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A santoku, and a slicer. It looks like you already have a carver and whatever a "utility" is

Edit: for fun, what about making a second set with just Asian knives, like a Chinese cleaver, deba bocho, nakiri, yanagi, etc

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 31, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Couple more paring knives, hooked paring knife.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Drop the Fiskars santoku and get a proper one (or a nakiri/cleaver), those knives are loving dangerous. I had one snap on me at work from cutting, I poo poo you not, a raw sunchoke. Snapped the first 3 centimeters of the blade clean off.

And crazy norwegian man with scary avatar is right, you can never have enough paring knives.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I really wanna learn how to use a Chinese cleaver. Whenever I use my chef's knife on veggies I feel like I'm only half there.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I think my cutlery collection is missing something, the whole thing fits on a single badly-photographed magnet :(

Victorinox, Burgvogel, Fiskars, Fiskars, Raadvad, Raadvad, Zwilling J.A. Henckels, Raadvad, Zone, Fiskars

Which completely unnecessary sharp-edged item do I need to complete the set?

Also, show off your compensating-iest knives (12 inches, woo!).

EDIT: vvv Which one would you call a carver? Fourth from the left is a bread knife. But a slicer is a good suggestion, it could do double duty as a salmon knife :)

All those knives and not a good one in the set. :v:

Sell em all and buy a 270mm Aogami Super Moritaka, a CCK cleaver, and a dojo paring knife, and maybe a Kanemasa petty in the 150 mm range.

If you feel like you need more knives still, well you don't, but you can probably get a yanagiba of some sort and a tojiro honesuki

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jesus titty-loving Christ, you guys and your silly Japanese knives! :rolleye:

Steve Yun posted:

A santoku, and a slicer. It looks like you already have a carver and whatever a "utility" is

Edit: for fun, what about making a second set with just Asian knives, like a Chinese cleaver, deba bocho, nakiri, yanagi, etc

I've tried Japanese knives, didn't really like them. And I'm left-handed so proper chisel-ground knives will be more expensive for me. I already have a Chinese cleaver (made in Germany), it's second from the left and I like it a lot. I used to have bunch of cheap cleavers as well, but I've given them all away to friends who wanted to try them out and ended up keeping them.

Dane posted:

Drop the Fiskars santoku and get a proper one (or a nakiri/cleaver), those knives are loving dangerous. I had one snap on me at work from cutting, I poo poo you not, a raw sunchoke. Snapped the first 3 centimeters of the blade clean off.

And crazy norwegian man with scary avatar is right, you can never have enough paring knives.

Fiskars santoku? Where? I have a chef's, bread and paring knife from them and I like them a lot, I've had them since I first moved away from home, so about 7 years. The chef's knife has a rather thin blade that takes a good edge and the other two are solid workhorses.

Yours and Sjurygg's suggestion is noted, more paring knives! (Although I have three already, there's a third, ceramic paring knife in the drawer)

GrAviTy84 posted:

All those knives and not a good one in the set. :v:

Sell em all and buy a 270mm Aogami Super Moritaka, a CCK cleaver, and a dojo paring knife, and maybe a Kanemasa petty in the 150 mm range.

If you feel like you need more knives still, well you don't, but you can probably get a yanagiba of some sort and a tojiro honesuki

They're all good knives, razor sharp, every single one of them. Well, apart from the cheese knife, but it's not like cutting brie is particularly hard.

But I guess I should move to GRORIOUS NIPPON and be the most popular man there because anime is a superior artform and katanas and panties
:goonsay:

I don't want a katana (or wakazashi or whatever), I want tools for working in my kitchen. I've tried japanese knives, they suck for anything other than traditional Japanese cooking. The steel and sharpness may be technically superior, but that doesn't make for a better knife. I am not a blade fetishist, I just like to cook.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I've tried Japanese knives, didn't really like them. And I'm left-handed so proper chisel-ground knives will be more expensive for me. I already have a Chinese cleaver (made in Germany), it's second from the left and I like it a lot. I used to have bunch of cheap cleavers as well, but I've given them all away to friends who wanted to try them out and ended up keeping them.

I don't want a katana (or wakazashi or whatever), I want tools for working in my kitchen. I've tried japanese knives, they suck for anything other than traditional Japanese cooking. The steel and sharpness may be technically superior, but that doesn't make for a better knife. I am not a blade fetishist, I just like to cook.

Are you sure that your "Japanese knife experience" isn't like your Chinese cleaver experience? As in not at all. You know they sharpen all manner of edges into them. Not just single bevel. Sounds like you just tried a lovely Henckels santouku, or a kai of some sort (contrary to popular belief shun kais are american), or that awful cuisinart faux damascus line and said "Welp, Japanese knives suck."

A gyuto can do everything a chefs knife can do and can do it with more precision, better build, and better steel. If these, to you, does not a good knife make. Well, you have a really weird definition of "good knife" and "useful kitchen tool".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GrAviTy84 posted:

Are you sure that your "Japanese knife experience" isn't like your Chinese cleaver experience? As in not at all. You know they sharpen all manner of edges into them. Not just single bevel. Sounds like you just tried a lovely Henckels santouku, or a kai of some sort (contrary to popular belief shun kais are american), or that awful cuisinart faux damascus line and said "Welp, Japanese knives suck."

A gyuto can do everything a chefs knife can do and can do it with more precision, better build, and better steel. If these, to you, does not a good knife make. Well, you have a really weird definition of "good knife" and "useful kitchen tool".

Well, if there is any better way to get "Chinese cleaver experience" than actually going to an actual Chinese shop run by actual Chinese people and buying an actual Chinese cleaver, I'd love to hear it, because that's exactly what I did.

The carbon steel one was quite interesting and took a very good edge, but it just wouldn't stay sharp for long, even though I washed it immediately after using it and oiled it before storing. I then bought the slightly more expensive Burgvogel, made from very good stainless and very tapered down to the edge. It only gets about 90-95% as sharp as the carbon steel one, but the sharpness lasts more than half an hour.

As for the Japanese knives, I tried them out at a friend's place. He's a big knife (and sharpening) nut and he insisted they were awesome, can't remember the name but they were razor loving sharp. I thought they were "meh" to actually use, especially considering the absolutely ridiculous prices compared to say, my $50 Victorinox.

Also, harder steel doesn't necessarily mean "better". I'm sure you think a gyuto is automatically better at everything than a chef's knife, but it doesn't work that way. Fancy smithing techniques does not a better knife make and there is such a thing as "too hard" in steels used for knives. And what do you mean by "better build"? I have never had a single knife break on me despite medium to hard use and occasional misuse. Not even a loose handle.

There is so much knife wankery going on, especially around japanese knives. They're just knives, not the second coming of Jesus.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 31, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a Sabatier chef's knife and it's pretty good.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Nice try, KozmoNaut, but mindphlux tryouts were last week.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Yeah, don't try to dick wave about having mid-grade knives on a magnet if you aren't prepared to get (rightfully) smacked down.

They're knives, not loving pokemon.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Halalelujah posted:

Yeah, don't try to dick wave about having mid-grade knives on a magnet if you aren't prepared to get (rightfully) smacked down.

Bullshit. If the last tangent in this thread (and the old biggest kitchen fuckups thread) is any indication, when I drop a knife, I gotta catch 'em all :colbert:.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Halalelujah posted:

That is my point exactly, I don't have to have some fancy-rear end Japanese knife just because it was forged in the fires of Mt. Fuji by a 72nd generation bladesmith and quenched in the blood of purple-haired virgins.

Mid-grade perhaps, but also delightfully bullshit-free.

I was showing what I had and asking what would be a reasonable addition for actual real-life cooking, not showing my knife-handling skills. But of course it has to turn into fancy knife wankery and machismo.

Goons :rolleyes:

EDIT: I remembered the name of my friend's fancy-rear end Japanese knives from GRORIOUS NIPPON, they were Masahiros and Misonos.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 31, 2012

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Long time lurker here, but I needed to share today's recipe comment hilarity:

"The monkfish tasted nothing like lobster and it was tough - even after 45 minutes in my oven!"

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mock-lobster/reviews.aspx?page=1

Sooo... hello GWS chat thread. Nice to meet you. Charmmi, I live in NN and keep meaning to visit your ramen utopia. And Happy Hat, you're like the Moominpapa of this thread.

While I'm here: can anyone recommend a good thing to do with these 2lbs of impulse-purchased monkfish in my fridge?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Holy poo poo, KozmoNaut. Settle down.

Eat This Glob posted:

Bullshit. If the last tangent in this thread (and the old biggest kitchen fuckups thread) is any indication, when I drop a knife, I gotta catch 'em all :colbert:.
:golfclap:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sweat poteto posted:

Holy poo poo, KozmoNaut. Settle down.

ITT, knives are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

But seriously, it's just that I don't get all this "you can't possibly cook with mid-range non-Japanese knives" machismo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

JacquelineDempsey posted:

While I'm here: can anyone recommend a good thing to do with these 2lbs of impulse-purchased monkfish in my fridge?

The vanilla saffron fish stew I did for ICSA Vanilla would work well with Monkfish.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I just got back from an outstanding meal at a little restaurant in Nice, France in which we were the only diners. As I was getting the bill I asked in broken french where everyone was - the food was great and the place was empty. Oh she said, we don't open until 8pm. Turns out we were like 2 hrs early but she seated us anyway :v:

KozmoNaut posted:

ITT, knives are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

But seriously, it's just that I don't get all this "you can't possibly cook with mid-range non-Japanese knives" machismo.

No one said that. Take a few deep breaths and realise that the replies were mostly tongue-in-cheek. Maybe ask knifethread if you want detailed advice.

VV I did :)

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 31, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's just awesome service, it's such an amazing gesture of hospitality. I hope you tipped them really well :)

sweat poteto posted:

No one said that. Take a few deep breaths and realise that the replies were mostly tongue-in-cheek. Maybe ask knifethread if you want detailed advice.

To be fair, only GrAviTy84 was being obtuse, the other replies were quite helpful and I thank the posters for their input.

GWS recommendations thread would be a better bet, but this thread felt more correct somehow.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Eat This Glob posted:

Hahahaha.

So does anyone have any dining suggestions for the lake Mary/ Sanford area north of Orlando? Looks like I am going to be here for at least another two weeks and I have eaten at almost every restaurant in my immediate vicinity. It's all expense account type places, and if someone suggests shula's again I'm going to snap.

I know it's a long shot but gotta ask.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

To be fair, only GrAviTy84 was being obtuse, the other replies were quite helpful and I thank the posters for their input.

gravity obtuse? never.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

:rant: :words:

If you were to, I don't know, know what you were talking about, and perhaps, say, look up some of the knives I recommended, you would know that each has a different formula of steel suited to the job the knife is purposed for. There is more to better steel than hardness, and yes, hard isn't always better, for instance boning knives. Hence the Tojiro rec (clad VG-10, easy sharpening) for the honesuki (boning) instead of Aogami Super (takes a more aggressive edge, harder, more brittle). Perhaps the discomfort you had when using your friend's knives is that of "oh poo poo this is what it feels like to not mangle food"

so, I guess, I'm sorry people didn't circle jerk over your knife collection like you were hoping they would? :sympathy:

fake edit: also, get a better loving mag strip. Your metal on metal action there is :stare: for someone who says they care about their knives, unless you're more of a quantity over quality guy (seems like it anyway). here: http://www.benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

Eat This Glob posted:

:downs: :golfclap: well played, sir.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you were to, I don't know, know what you were talking about, and perhaps, say, look up some of the knives I recommended, you would know that each has a different formula of steel suited to the job the knife is purposed for. There is more to better steel than hardness, and yes, hard isn't always better, for instance boning knives. Hence the Tojiro rec (clad VG-10, easy sharpening) for the honesuki (boning) instead of Aogami Super (takes a more aggressive edge, harder, more brittle). Perhaps the discomfort you had when using your friend's knives is that of "oh poo poo this is what it feels like to not mangle food"

so, I guess, I'm sorry people didn't circle jerk over your knife collection like you were hoping they would? :sympathy:

fake edit: also, get a better loving mag strip. Your metal on metal action there is :stare: for someone who says they care about their knives, unless you're more of a quantity over quality guy (seems like it anyway). here: http://www.benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

Oh please, come off it. I think the issue here is that I'm not jumping feet first into your one-man Japanese cutlery circle-jerk. Western-pattern knives mangling food? Please, if that were the case, every professional chef worth mentioning would be using Japanese-pattern knives exclusively.

I'm glad you like my mag strip, it was very affordable and the magnet is quite strong. I bought it at a restaurant and kitchen supply store. You know, the kind place where people who actually cook food for a living go to buy their hardware, not a divine temple to holy cutlery where knife fetishists go. Yes, I care about my knives, function-wise. Who cares if the side of the blade gets a scratch?

You know what, I think the issue here is that I use my knives instead of just staring longingly at the find craftsmanship. I fully admit that fine Japanese knives are a product of extraordinary craftsmanship, but a knife used every day is going to take a beating and it would be a shame to damage them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

You're kind of an rear end in a top hat.