Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

tobutt posted:

I understand the desire for more eyeballs, and it is a good topic upon which many eyes should be laid and all that, but it just kind of sits here. GBS is supposed to be general topics that get discussed for a while and then move on, and we have Cinema Discusso for extended, sustained discussion of this sort of thing.

Maybe GBS could use another thread, but we should give it a while. And actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I'm going to move it to CD so it lives/gets archived/whatever there. For future generations to gaze upon.

There's already a documentary thread in CD which was last posted in yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

cloudchamber posted:

There's already a documentary thread in CD which was last posted in yesterday.

Which was also moved here from GBS.

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art
Here's a good one about Jim Jones and the People's Temple.

Jonestown - the Life and Death of the People's Temple

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I just finished watching Semper Fi: Always Faithful on netflix. Here's their summary.

quote:

Marine Corps Master Sgt. Jerry Ensminger was a devoted Marine for nearly twenty-five years. As a drill instructor he lived and breathed the "Corps" and was responsible for indoctrinating thousands of new recruits with its motto Semper Fidelis or "Always Faithful". When Jerry's nine-year old daughter Janey died of a rare type of leukemia, his world collapsed. As a grief-stricken father, he struggled for years to make sense of what happened. His search for answers led to the shocking discovery of a Marine Corps cover-up of one of the largest water contamination incidents in U.S. history. Semper Fi: Always Faithful follows Jerry's mission to expose the Marine Corps and force them to live up to their motto to the thousands of soldiers and their families exposed to toxic chemicals. His fight reveals a grave injustice at North Carolina's Camp Lejeune and a looming environmental crisis at military sites across the country.

It doesn't just focus on that one man, but on many different families influenced by this tragedy. Long story short, the Marine Corps dumped hazardous waste improperly, it got into the well-water at came Lejeune, stayed there for decades, and caused numerous birth defects, childhood cancers, and adult cancers (oddly male breast cancer is very common). The Marine Corps has been and still is dragging their feet on notifying everyone who could have been exposed, likely because they don't want the bad press and they don't want to have to pay for medical care for the thousands of individuals effected.

I felt like I needed to come back and say more. This film isn't only about environmental negligence on the part of the Marine Corps, but also on the part of the EPA. It's a good example of how special interest lobby groups can use the power of money to continue dumping poisonous carcinogens without thought to how it will affect the public. It's always nice to be reminded that to my Government, I'm worth next to nothing in comparison with multi-billion dollar corporations.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 24, 2012

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Second Skin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V_2FycHamfA
Second Skin takes an intimate, disturbing look at three sets of computer gamers whose lives have been transformed by the emerging genre of computer games called Massively Multiplayer Online games (MMOs). World of Warcraft, Second Life, and Everquest allow millions of users to simultaneously interact in virtual spaces. Second Skin introduces us to couples who have fallen in love without ever meeting, disabled players whose lives have been given new purpose, those struggling with addiction, Chinese gold-farming sweatshop workers, wealthy entrepreneurs and legendary guild leaders–all living within a world that doesn’t quite exist. Second Skin focuses on a couple who met in a virtual world, an addict whose life was ruined by MMOs, and a group of MMO gamers who spend most of their lives inside virtual worlds

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am looking for the documentary about the village that has sex with goats. It has led to some very awkward google searches, so I figured I'd just search through this thread and ask here. The thread search came up empty. Could you guys help me?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am looking for the documentary about the village that has sex with goats. It has led to some very awkward google searches, so I figured I'd just search through this thread and ask here. The thread search came up empty. Could you guys help me?

Try donkeys.

(they did)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

doctorfrog posted:

Try donkeys.

(they did)

That was my problem! I knew it shouldn't be that hard to find. Now to show it to my roommate who is traveling to Columbia. He should know the local customs before traveling!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Wasn't that one of the "The Vice guide to sex" documentaries?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
anyone following the bbc empire documentaries with Jeremy Paxman?

I like em a lot. they're about the empire the UK once had, but the title probably made that clear.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

mrfart posted:

anyone following the bbc empire documentaries with Jeremy Paxman?

I like em a lot. they're about the empire the UK once had, but the title probably made that clear.

Are they on iPlayer?

I've been meaning to look for something like this but the only guy who I thought who'd do them is a complete loon and racist with a hard on for the Queen.

Also, Historically and British anything with Tony Robinson (BAAAALDRIICK!) is gold.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Are they on iPlayer?

They're all still on there at the moment, but will be disappeared come Monday.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

doctorfrog posted:

Try donkeys.

(they did)

In the immortal words of the Grym Reaper: "Yo, I'm better off with my hand."

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Are they on iPlayer?

I've been meaning to look for something like this but the only guy who I thought who'd do them is a complete loon and racist with a hard on for the Queen.

Also, Historically and British anything with Tony Robinson (BAAAALDRIICK!) is gold.

They are but it's like a 5 or 6 episode series so the first few aren't watchable anymore I don't think.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I, Psychopath
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95008272BB2F2C29

quote:

Psychopaths… we usually only know them from Hollywood movies. We never expect them to enter our real life. But, the psychopath is closer than you think. Experts believe their number to be as high as one in a hundred. Most of them function incognito in high-powered professions…all the way to the very top.

But… it takes one to truly know one. In this intriguing documentary, Sam Vaknin, a self-proclaimed psychopath, goes in search of a diagnosis. In a scientific first, he allows himself to undergo testing to find out if he was born without a conscience. He knows he’s narcissistic and cannot empathize with others. By his own admission, he’s pompous, grandiose, repulsive and contradictory, ruthless and devoid of scruples, capricious and unfathomable… but he believes, he’s not a bad person. What he is is indifferent…he couldn’t care less. Unless, of course, the topic is himself.

Vaknin and his long-suffering but ever-loyal wife, Lidija, embark on a diagnostic road trip. But, it’s uncharted territory… deep into the mind and life of a psychopath. The 47-year-old convicted corporate criminal has agreed to take part in the pursuit of his own diagnosis… meeting the world’s experts in psychopathy in the hope that science will provide some answers for why he is like he is. These experts put Vaknin (and his wife) through a battery of rigorous psychological tests and neuro-scientific experiments.

Vaknin is shocked at the results. Sam, his wife, the scientists, the film-makers – will they ever be quite the same again?

Personally, I didn't like it too much. The guy is (obviously) an rear end in a top hat, but tries too hard to come off as evil; only achieving to appear as a huge know-it-all douche bag.

Stephen Fry: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive
http://documentaryheaven.com/stephen-fry-the-secret-life-of-the-manic-depressive/

quote:

Stephen Fry presents this documentary exploring the disease of manic depression; a little understood but potentially devastating condition affecting an estimated two percent of the population.

Stephen embarks on an emotional journey to meet fellow sufferers, and discuss the literal highs and lows of being bi-polar.

Celebrities such as Carrie Fisher and Richard Dreyfuss invite the comedian into their home to relate their stories.

Plus Stephen looks into the lives of ordinary people trying to deal with the illness at work and home, and of course to the people studying manic depression in an effort to better control it. A fascinating, moving and ultimately very entertaining Emmy Award-winning programme.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SeanBeansShako posted:

the only guy who I thought who'd do them is a complete loon and racist with a hard on for the Queen.

Who are you talking about?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

mrfart posted:

Niall Ferguson probably. He made a show on the Empire in which he claimed the horrors of colonialism were entirely justified by the fact that the British were spreading the wonders of the free market around the world.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

mrfart posted:

David Starkey which is sad as by the sound of things he was pretty sensible.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Was going to bed and flipping channels when I stumbled across this

Quest for the Lost Maya
http://www.pbs.org/programs/quest-lost-maya/

Trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTuLlIvq7pU&feature=player_embedded

Pretty amazing, ended up watching the whole thing instead of sleeping.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
[quote="Non Serviam"]
I, Psychopath
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95008272BB2F2C29

Personally, I didn't like it too much. The guy is (obviously) an rear end in a top hat, but tries too hard to come off as evil; only achieving to appear as a huge know-it-all douche bag.

[\quote]

I thought it was loving terrible.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

mrfart posted:

Anyone following the BBC empire documentaries with Jeremy Paxman?
They seem a bit scatterbrained in terms of direction and feels really stretched out. I was sort of hoping Paxman visit somewhere other than India or Africa and examine Canada or Australia's views on remaining as Commonwealth.

It also gets a bit too apologetic which clashes with Paxman patronizingly asking people if it's ironic that their British made motorcycle means freedom to them or suggesting that someone in Egypt be thankful their club was provided to them by the English.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

WebDog posted:

They seem a bit scatterbrained in terms of direction and feels really stretched out. I was sort of hoping Paxman visit somewhere other than India or Africa and examine Canada or Australia's views on remaining as Commonwealth.

It also gets a bit too apologetic which clashes with Paxman patronizingly asking people if it's ironic that their British made motorcycle means freedom to them or suggesting that someone in Egypt be thankful their club was provided to them by the English.
Including canada, australia or even the history with the US would have been interesting, but he would have needed a couple of more episodes for it. Who knows, he might make a second season.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

mrfart posted:

Including canada, australia or even the history with the US would have been interesting, but he would have needed a couple of more episodes for it. Who knows, he might make a second season.
Oddly enough it is a follow up of sorts to The Victorians where he examined how they lived via their paintings and it is a pretty solid series. Empire tried a similar style; where Paxman talks about something then experience it firsthand or talks to someone in a journalistic manner; but he seems to have fallen short of things to do in Empire.

It's a common tactic to create lavish series where hosts follow through with similar subjects. For instance David David Dimbleby's done something similar with A Picture of Britain and How We Built Britain followed by The Seven Ages of Britain.

A bit of an insider note; at present commissioning editors are looking for more series rather than one off documentaries as buying a series means you get six hours taken up for your scheduling quota as opposed to one and for half the price.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 8, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

A documentary about the development of the Japanese Navy in the early 20th century and the battle of Tsushima.

The odds against the Russians, jesus why? Imperial Prestige dumbest moments.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Could I be recommended any good documentaries about the social structure (or just anything) of Ants? I'm beginning to become fascinated by these little critters.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Imapanda posted:

Could I be recommended any good documentaries about the social structure (or just anything) of Ants? I'm beginning to become fascinated by these little critters.

I haven't seen it, but Nova is generally fantastic and has an episode on them: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/lord-ants.html

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
TALHOTBLOND

"This is the true story of a love triangle that takes place entirely online. Lies lead to murder in real life, as a teenage vixen (screen name ‘talhotblond’) lures men into her web. Revealing a shocking true crime story that shows the Internet’s power to unleash our most dangerous fantasies."

http://documentaryheaven.com/talhotblond/

This film made me feel awkward as hell a few times. It is amazing how this story unfolds especially considering I had zero knowledge of the story beforehand. I recommend not looking up the film before hand as it could easily have some spoilers if the description were any more specific.

I'd love to know what others think of it so take a gander and then come tell me I'm not the only one whose face went from:

:) :geno: :raise: :( :stare: :gonk: :stonk: :iiam: :ms:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

WouldDesk posted:

TALHOTBLOND

"This is the true story of a love triangle that takes place entirely online. Lies lead to murder in real life, as a teenage vixen (screen name ‘talhotblond’) lures men into her web. Revealing a shocking true crime story that shows the Internet’s power to unleash our most dangerous fantasies."

http://documentaryheaven.com/talhotblond/

This film made me feel awkward as hell a few times. It is amazing how this story unfolds especially considering I had zero knowledge of the story beforehand. I recommend not looking up the film before hand as it could easily have some spoilers if the description were any more specific.

I'd love to know what others think of it so take a gander and then come tell me I'm not the only one whose face went from:

:) :geno: :raise: :( :stare: :gonk: :stonk: :iiam: :ms:
That was... yeah :stonk: is about right... holy poo poo I did NOT see that coming :psyduck:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

That was... yeah :stonk: is about right... holy poo poo I did NOT see that coming :psyduck:

Comes out of nowhere! I love how the biggest part of the story (yeah, that part) is just nonchalantly brought up by some guy on a front porch.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

WouldDesk posted:

Comes out of nowhere! I love how the biggest part of the story (yeah, that part) is just nonchalantly brought up by some guy on a front porch.
Yeah, I was all... "wait did he just say... what"

My God people are so very crazy.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

TALHOTBLOND

That was pretty interesting, although slightly dragged out (the cop saying "then I got out of my car, then I went up the steps, then I was on the porch, then I rang the doorbell..."). I got a little sick of that greasy/sweaty clinical psychologist by the end too.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

FoiledAgain posted:

That was pretty interesting, although slightly dragged out (the cop saying "then I got out of my car, then I went up the steps, then I was on the porch, then I rang the doorbell..."). I got a little sick of that greasy/sweaty clinical psychologist by the end too.

Agreed on all points, but it sure is worth it for that few seconds of pure disbelief. That psychologist seemed competent in the beginning but by his last little speech seemed like the mans family just wrote him a check and said "make him look like the victim." Pretty sick poo poo and the more I think about it the more upset I get.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
Are you guys talking about the part where it's revealed that it was the gross old mom the whole time? I wasn't at all surprised by that.

talhotblond: don't let tommy die
marinesniper: he won't as long as he is in ur heart
talhotblond: let him live in u
marinesniper: ur crying aren't you
talhotblond: i haven't stopped

Nobody writes like that. It screams "Crazy people who desperately want to live in a rom-com"

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

R.L. Stine posted:

Are you guys talking about the part where it's revealed that it was the gross old mom the whole time? I wasn't at all surprised by that.
It certainly explains why the she and Tom got along so well, haha

Solid documentary, though. It's a biopic of devastating fantasy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I was disturbed that the narrator was the dead kid. I mean, who wrote those lines? Who had the authority to offer that perspective?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Animal-Mother posted:

I was disturbed that the narrator was the dead kid. I mean, who wrote those lines? Who had the authority to offer that perspective?

Yeah, I agree. That was really tacky and just straight up disrespectful to the kid.

It was a fairly interesting doc, but I see by the comments that I'm not alone with my criticisms. It pisses me off that they make like it was the Bad Evil Woman that orchestrated it all, caused it all, she seems like a borderline psychotic or whatever, but she did NOT take a loving gun and murder anybody. The murderer is a victim as much as I'm Queen loving Victoria. I don't like that misogynistic undertone in my documentaries, thanks much. Poor helpless man was just being a Marine and protecting his propertasdklfja;ldskhfaklsdjfh loving hell that made me want to choke.She was twisted but he was the one saying that he wanted to see her raped by ni**ers and bullshit like that. And yeah, he's the victim. :rolleyes: They're both bad but had she really been an 18 year old girl, it would have been his responsibility to go 'ok whoa, this is really inappropriate *disappear*'. The fact that she was his age doesn't change that, it only makes her hosed up too, and she lost her daughter who she doesn't deserve to be a mother to, in my opinion. But she didn't kill anyone.

Anyway, I hadn't heard of this story and I don't regret wasting the time watching it, but I won't watch it again. I suspect once is enough anyway, even if it didn't take a misogynistic tone. Nor the creepy narration. I generally don't watch true crime-ish docs more than once anyway.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Agreeing with the criticisms here, especially MarineSniper being a victim. :rolleyes:
How it was played up in this thread I was actually half expecting the sweaty psychologist to be TALHOTBLOND. :mmmhmm:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

Agree

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I consider myself a christian and this freaked me out but its a decent flick..

http://documentaryheaven.com/deborah-13-servant-of-god/

A documentary about 13-year-old Deborah Drapper, who, unlike other British teens has never heard of Britney Spears or Victoria Beckham. She has been brought up in a deeply Christian family and her parents have tried to make sure she and her ten brothers and sisters have grown up protected from the sins of the outside world.

Deborah is a bright, confident girl who has big ambitions for her life and the film spends a summer with her as she ventures out in the world to see what life outside her family could be and starts putting her beliefs forward to a wider audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

Imapanda posted:

There's a very interesting section on ants in episode 5 (Supersocieties) of Attenborough's Life in the Undergrowth, which can be streamed on Amazon I think. The whole series is worth watching but ants get special treatment in that particular episode.