Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Bayonetta sequel should be co-op focused on Jeanne and Bayonetta, and should usher in a revolution in multiplayer stylish action :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: gently caress yes! :allears:

toasterwarrior posted:

Considering how Operation Raccoon City is getting a bad rap, I'm losing a lot of faith in Capcom's ability to choose good western developers for their franchises. This remake is going to vindicate their push for western studios or condemn it, and the lack of substantial gameplay footage isn't helping.

Monkey Fracas posted:

They seemed to make a big deal about how they were getting help from Capcom Japan to nail down the DMC gameplay, so hopefully they just watched Ninja Theory like a hawk in that respect. Enslaved had great production values other than the gameplay- the art direction was particularly memorable for me. (But not enough to make me forget the crappy gameplay.) I guess how the gameplay stacks up in DmC will determine whether it's a rental or day 1 purchase for me.

They really need to release some actual gameplay footage, not just the WIP stuff or the lovely story stuff, so we can get a good overview of how things are gonna play out.

It would also help them a great deal to not stick their foot in mouth in interviews, and talk about the drat gameplay not how they've "improved" the story of DMC and the character of Dante.

In the end, Dante's just an avatar for the player to do cool poo poo. I honestly couldn't care less how lovely his fictional life is, or how angsty he is, or how full of vengance he is to society, or how great that tale apparently is. We just want him killing things in extremely cool ways :black101:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

notZaar posted:

Bayonetta sequel should be co-op focused on Jeanne and Bayonetta, and should usher in a revolution in multiplayer stylish action :unsmigghh:

Would play the gently caress out of this

Despite NG's multiplayer modes, I'm still waiting for a real action game with real multiplayer to come along. Anarchy Reigns?

Also I want Bayonetta 2, but at the same time, I kind of enjoy seeing Kamiya produce new and unique ridiculously stylish nonsense

I still love playing Bayonetta around slightly-gamer friends. Never fails to produce a :stare: and a grand procession of hilarious comments from men and women alike

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Pesky Splinter posted:

It would also help them a great deal to not stick their foot in mouth in interviews, and talk about the drat gameplay not how they've "improved"... the character of Dante.

In the end, Dante's just an avatar for the player to do cool poo poo. I honestly couldn't care less how lovely his fictional life is, or how angsty he is, or how full of vengance he is to society, or how great that tale apparently is. We just want him killing things in extremely cool ways :black101:

I understand why they're doing this. Everyone's overreaction when this title was announced was about Dante. They changed Dante! He has black hair now! He looks like the lead designer! Boo hoo hoo hoo. There was so much angst about this, how could they not think that people actually give a poo poo about Dante outside of how he plays?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

I understand why they're doing this. Everyone's overreaction when this title was announced was about Dante. They changed Dante! He has black hair now! He looks like the lead designer! Boo hoo hoo hoo. There was so much angst about this, how could they not think that people actually give a poo poo about Dante outside of how he plays?

Because if they think that people disliking the new design means they wanted a serious story about Dante, they seriously misunderstood the complaints. People complained because they had redesigned a reasonably iconic character to be all but unrecognizable, and in a way which seemed more focus on "grimness" over the goofy-rear end stuff people liked from DMC.

Recall that the first picture we saw was this:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 29, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bonaventure posted:

Yeah, that's true, actually.

Initially, even I was like ":wtf: did they do to Dante?". It's less that now, than it is the hilariously narmy grimdark direction that they're taking him, and that they seem to be making that the focus of the game, as well as giving him the blandest looking design, while simaltainously saying that his older look is no longer cool, and is "unrealistic". The same people who made these characters.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 29, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Because if they think that people disliking the new design means they wanted a serious story about Dante, they seriously misunderstood the complaints.

I have no doubt that the story in this game will be just as slight as in any other Devil May Cry, but in terms of pre-release hype and marketing, as far as they're concerned, they're still in damage control. If fans had made as much of a stink about how slow and chunky the gameplay looked instead of letting those complaints be a rumbly undercurrent to the wails of rage about Dante's new coat and badittude, we'd probably have more substantive information about gameplay by now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It's a bit like, say, making a Ninja game with a story about the sadness and pathos of murdering thousands of dudes with your awesome Ninja moves

Not that any company would be dumb enough to make such a game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

I have no doubt that the story in this game will be just as slight as in any other Devil May Cry, but in terms of pre-release hype and marketing, as far as they're concerned, they're still in damage control. If fans had made as much of a stink about how slow and chunky the gameplay looked instead of letting those complaints be a rumbly undercurrent to the wails of rage about Dante's new coat and badittude, we'd probably have more substantive information about gameplay by now.

I'm not sure why you'd believe that, especially when the developer's last game was Enslaved, one that focused heavily on story and cinematic over gameplay. Even Heavenly Sword was as much about their story/visuals as it was about the gameplay. I really see nothing coming out from Ninja Theory that is at all different from their pre-release hype for Enslaved and how important its story and characters were.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Bonaventure posted:

If fans had made as much of a stink about how slow and chunky the gameplay looked instead of letting those complaints be a rumbly undercurrent to the wails of rage about Dante's new coat and badittude, we'd probably have more substantive information about gameplay by now.

They did make a fuss about the 30fps malarkey. The only information was basically, "Oh, well, it'll feel and play like a 60fps game." And that was it. Oh, "and the DMC team are aiding us the battle system, so don't worry, you're all obviously making a fuss over nothing."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

notZaar posted:

I've been waiting for multiplayer DMC since DMC1 and netcode and lag are getting good enough that this could be possible

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
Did they give a release date for this yet? I can't wait to read the reviews

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CerebralDonut posted:

Did they give a release date for this yet? I can't wait to read the reviews

It's still TBA.

Purely guessing, it'll probably be out this winter at the earliest, assuming they don't push anything back. Previews and reviews would come out about a month or so before that I'd imagine.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm a little worried that there's been basically zero serious discussion or video footage of the actual gameplay as of yet. Guess I'm just hoping for the best \/:downs:\/ (but expecting second-long button-press-to-action delays and lovely platforming).

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's still TBA.

Purely guessing, it'll probably be out this winter at the earliest, assuming they don't push anything back. Previews and reviews would come out about a month or so before that I'd imagine.

drat. When did this game get announced? It feels like its been two years already.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CerebralDonut posted:

drat. When did this game get announced? It feels like its been two years already.

It has been two years already since it was first announced.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I get the feeling nobody is going to like the game because Dante looks like a ridiculous emo hipster. Everyone's going to poo poo on the game. Then they'll do a sequel where he looks more in line with his original aesthetic and everyone will love it.

quote:

Considering how Operation Raccoon City is getting a bad rap, I'm losing a lot of faith in Capcom's ability to choose good western developers for their franchises. This remake is going to vindicate their push for western studios or condemn it, and the lack of substantial gameplay footage isn't helping.

This seems pretty accurate. There is no doubt a lot of people in Capcom and other Japanese game development studios who hate the idea of outsourcing to western developers. Just look at Final Fantasy Fortress.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 29, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The greatest slap in the face to this remake would be if Darksiders II, of all games, manages to have an even more engaging and rewarding combat system than it.

Just, daaaamn.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 29, 2012

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What with this on the way I finally decided to pick up DMC4 on the cheap and give it a whirl. I'm not sure if Bayonetta just spoiled me but DMC4 seems loving dull. Were all DMC combos systems this rigid? I remember them being really good.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know what you mean by rigid, but it's pretty much the same system as in 3 with better feedback.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
You know, I hate the new character design (DMC: Twilight), but I was willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt, because it's DMC, how bad could it really get?

Then, in one week, new Resident Evil and Ninja Gaiden (Ninja Gaiden!) games were unplayable garbage.

The good news is that if this gets the reaction Capcom's other outsourcing has gotten*, we might get a new, good DMC somewhere around 2014.

(* Grin's Bionic Commando was a loving awesome game and the games press shat all over it because they expected it to use the same baby's first action game mechanics as the free-roam Spider Man titles. I've read that even the awful main character design and lovely story twists can be attributed to Capcom Japan's constant loving with the project, not Grin.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
BC had a good swinging mechanic and that's about it, the game was trash. RADIATION everywhere was retarded, let me swing wherever I want.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Alteisen posted:

BC had a good swinging mechanic and that's about it, the game was trash. RADIATION everywhere was retarded, let me swing wherever I want.

See, I don't get that. It's your opinion, and it's certainly the majority one in the games press, but I think that game didn't get a fair shake because everyone had been conditioned to expect that swinging = free roam.

At the time, sandbox was the huge trend, EVERY game had to be a sandbox, so how dare a company make a linear game? It wasn't a perfect game by any means, though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

What with this on the way I finally decided to pick up DMC4 on the cheap and give it a whirl. I'm not sure if Bayonetta just spoiled me but DMC4 seems loving dull. Were all DMC combos systems this rigid? I remember them being really good.

If you got it on the PC, turn on Turbo mode and enjoy the game. Otherwise it will feel sluggish and lethargic in comparison to Bayonetta.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Didn't see anyone talking about it, but the HD collection is out at Gamestop early.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Most of the HD collection chat ended up in this thread, which is why it's a little barren here :shobon:

Nice to see it out early.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

Turn on Turbo and Legendary Dark Knight mode. :black101:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Ninja theory will be attending Captivate 2012. (2nd April - 4th)

Hopefully then we'll get some new updates and/or something new to whine about.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Didn't see anyone talking about it, but the HD collection is out at Gamestop early.

Welp, time to load up the bike and head over!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

Sheepish DmC Director Comes Clean: "Yes, Dante is based on me as a teen."

Tameem Antoniades, chief creative and co-founder of Ninja Theory, the developers behind the latest upcoming Devil May Cry, revealed today that the controversial redesign was indeed based on him, despite earlier comments dismissing the idea.

"It's a shock to me as anyone," he told OXM, "it seems that some of the design crew submitted it as a joke, not expecting it to be selected for use in the trailer. I honestly didn't notice any resemblance. I gotta say, I'm flattered and honoured they made me look so young."

One of the designers came clean to Antoniades, after his recent interview with Playstation Magazine, stating that they based the look after a picture of him as a teenager was brought to an office party celebrating his birthday.

Flora Pilós, one of the artists at Ninja Theory said, "It was just meant to be a little office in-joke. We weren't expecting Capcom to accept it."

Despite Ninja Theory developing the game, Capcom is in charge of the final approval for the overall look of the game.

"The design used for the trailer, was just an initial concept one," Alex Jones (producer) said, "Designs change during development. That's just how it is."

"But", he continues "I'd just like to reassure fans out there, that we're doing our best to make this game the best it can possibly be. Itsuno-san [director of the previous DMC games] is advising us on the battle system, and thanks to him and his team, we're confident that fans, both new and old to the series, will find a great deal of satisfaction with the game."

DmC is set to be announced for release this coming winter.

Well :aaaaa:

Source: www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-01-dmc-devil-may-cry-dante-design

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 1, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man gently caress Ninja Theory.

This will be close to DMC2 as one of the worst DMC games.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

randombattle posted:

Man gently caress Ninja Theory.

This will be close to DMC2 as one of the worst DMC games.

Read the rest of that article. It really sheds some light on a few things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boy, the best thing about the internet being international is having to put up with this poo poo for basically two days instead of one.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

StuuuuuUUUUUUFFFFFFFF

I think the fact that I kinda sorta fell for this proves that I just have an itchy hate-trigger-finger for this game and everyone involved in it's development. (You go to hell Tameem that still looks like you :argh: )

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This shouldn't be a DMC game. It should be under another name.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Boy, the best thing about the internet being international is having to put up with this poo poo for basically two days instead of one.

You have to admit at least that one was rather clever.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So, the HD collection has been in peoples hands for a few days ago, and it seems that the general consensus is that, while the gameplay runs smooth and sharp, it's a quick and dirty job. Menus and pre-rendered cinematics have been left in their original SD format, and there is no real bonus content.

I have to wonder why all these HD collections are so god drat lazy. Did they just delete all their data from the original game? Why can't the cinematics at least be re-rendered in a higher resolution? Why announce something like this half a year ago if there's so little effort?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

HD collections.

I think it's just a way of getting a quick buck doing as little work as possible. They seriously didn't even bother to do the menus and prerendered stuff? I wonder what that supposed bonus content was all about. Surely they didn't mean the ability to play as Vergil?

The recent Silent Hill remake has been kind of lackluster as well, having weird audio and visual issues, and just generally being an inferior port. And yet the MGS HD collection is being called the standard by which other HD ports should be compared because of how good it is, or how well it is ported and cleaned up, rather.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think it's just a way of getting a quick buck doing as little work as possible. They seriously didn't even bother to do the menus and prerendered stuff? I wonder what that supposed bonus content was all about. Surely they didn't mean the ability to play as Vergil?

There is a gallery of Art to look at that wasn't included in the original games as well as a BGM selector. Thats it, thats the bonus content. The absolute funniest part is the port is so obviously slapdash once you boot into a game you can't exit it and pick another one without restarting the entire collection; they clearly just go the games running and called it quits.

On the other hand I can now enjoy DMC2 without having to explain why I bought it by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There's an embargo on news of sorts on Captivate 2012, till the 10th.

A playable demo of DmC is allegedly there, so it'll be interesting to hear how it plays.

• Locked thread