Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

car dance posted:

Anyone else have a little one who has hiccups often? She had them in the womb a lot too. I don't know how to get them to stop as all the techniques I'd use on myself don't work on her yet. She didn't mind them at first but she's starting to get irritated by them.

Totally normal. Sometimes they just wouldn't stop, and I'd just have him suckle for a little while, which usually worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Bodnoirbabe posted:

It is literally the worst feeling and this is literally the hardest decision I've had to make and I haven't even made it yet.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it. Breastfeeding is supposed to be this awesome experience, yet look at all the women on this board alone having problems with it. You sound really down, and it can't be nice to be that stressed about feeding when you're supposed to be enjoying your little bundle. The guilt I felt when I gave my son his first bottle was overwhelming, and I cried my eyes out, but I have resolved to start enjoying the freedom of combination pumping/formula. I'm even going to have some wine tonight and let my husband take over for a few hours!

One blog that really helped me is the Fearless Formula Feeder: http://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/ It's full of stories from mums, many of whom tried to breastfeed, but switched to formula for different reasons. It also debunks a lot of the bad science behind the "ZOMG FORMULA IS MADE OF RAT POISON" type news stories.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I think a lot of the guilt comes from the assumption that "It's natural, so it should be easy!" When you've not been around other breastfeeding women and don't have any direct experience, it's easy to assume that. But it's almost never a simple thing. There are always bumps in the road and pain and thrush and latch problems that can happen. It's a skill that you AND your baby have to learn. I hope everyone having trouble finds a solution that works for them.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Echoing that I hope everyone finds a solution that works for them and their baby :)

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 25, 2014

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Had my first prenatal appointment today. Got an ultrasound and saw the heartbeat of my embryo/fetus. And, it's there! (worry #1). Also, there's only one of them (worry #2!).
Got so much blood drawn I was starting to feel weird, 8 or 9 vials. Apparently I'm being tested for everything under the sun they can test my genes for.

Also, blood type; you would think I would know my own blood type by now but no, I have no idea. Husband is a+ , I seem to remember I am B but not sure if B - or B+. Don't know jack or poo poo about Rh; anyone here had any experience with it? I have this vague vague notion I'm a - but.. I don't know.

In 3 weeks I get the Downs test #1 and some other test (genetic somethingorother).
I love my doctor, she has always treated me like an adult and explained things scientifically, and with actual numbers. I appreciate it. I appreciate her talking to my husband, because no matter how many times *i* told him about downs, and spina bifida, and all the other stuff, it just SOUNDS better coming from a doctor :)

Now I just have to get through another 4 weeks before I can surprise my mom for her birthday.

Edit: Man, when I was getting my blood drawn, 2 ladies came in for their glucose tests. Man, that stuff looks awful.. or maybe it was the faces they made while drinking it. :/

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I'm rhesus negative (A neg) and my husband is positive (O neg) so I've had all that fun. One of my dogs (a large Boxer) jumped up and punched me in the stomach at around 21 weeks pregnant, so I had to have the Anti D shot. Bit of a painful one, but it was alright.

Now I just get regular blood tests to check my antibodies; the last test showed some, which could be a problem. They didn't really explain it too well to be honest, except to say that I need another test to double check in a couple of weeks. In any case, the risk caused by developing antibodies seems mostly for future pregnancies rather than this one, as I'm already so far along (31w3d).

Basically just try to avoid trauma to the abdomen if you are negative; it only becomes a problem when your blood mixes with baby's and antibodies start forming.

As for the glucose test, I had that around 3 weeks ago, and I love the drink that they give. Here it's Lucozade, which is one of my favourite fizzy drinks anyway, and was particularly welcome after I'd been starved for 12 hours!

For myself, I just got told today that I have PGP (Pelvic Girdle Pain) or SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) and as usual the information I was given was very limited. I saw a physiotherapist who manipulated my hip joints etc and poked around at my muscles for a while. I didn't get given crutches or pain killers or anything - bit annoyed that today was a "good" day, because I don't think she really understood just how cripppling a "bad" day has been lately. On Tuesday I could barely walk at all without terrible pain, and even laying in bed I couldn't find a position that didn't hurt, which reduced me to tears pretty quickly because I was exhausted and paracetemol does nothing for me.

Anyway the message was to avoid doing stuff on 1 leg (as if I could at the moment!!), avoid lifting heavy stuff (duh), have warm baths and be careful on stairs. Thankfully tomorrow is my last day at work so I can at least sit at home and be a bit less mobile, but it's somewhat frustrating that the physio didn't make me feel any better at all. Next appointment in 5 weeks, when I'm 36 weeks.

Anyone else had this / can offer some advice?

Helanna fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2012

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
We found out today we're having a boy (yeah!). I now have to somehow find a zombie baby mobile.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Helanna posted:

For myself, I just got told today that I have PGP (Pelvic Girdle Pain) or SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) and as usual the information I was given was very limited. I saw a physiotherapist who manipulated my hip joints etc and poked around at my muscles for a while. I didn't get given crutches or pain killers or anything - bit annoyed that today was a "good" day, because I don't think she really understood just how cripppling a "bad" day has been lately. On Tuesday I could barely walk at all without terrible pain, and even laying in bed I couldn't find a position that didn't hurt, which reduced me to tears pretty quickly because I was exhausted and paracetemol does nothing for me.

Anyway the message was to avoid doing stuff on 1 leg (as if I could at the moment!!), avoid lifting heavy stuff (duh), have warm baths and be careful on stairs. Thankfully tomorrow is my last day at work so I can at least sit at home and be a bit less mobile, but it's somewhat frustrating that the physio didn't make me feel any better at all. Next appointment in 5 weeks, when I'm 36 weeks.

Holy crap I thought I was alone! I'm at 20 weeks and have been experiencing this for two weeks so far. It's to the point where I can't even go to work in the morning anymore and since I have to stand the whole time I'm working I may have to quit completely. I haven't seen my dr since it started though so I don't have any advice.

I have trouble standing up, getting out of bed, lifting my left leg and walking. It's usually the most painful in the morning and slowly gets better through the day, though it never goes away completely. I had my husband check and it's causing swelling in the area also. If you figure out how to make it better I'd love to know. Being 20 weeks means I have 20 more weeks of this and I don't know if I can do it. Every day is worse than the last! It pisses me off that I may have to quit work with 4 months to go, right when we need money the most.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
A pregnancy support belt helped me a lot with SPD the first time around, and I'm sure in the coming weeks (I'm 21.5 weeks now) I'll need it again. Basically it stops all of the weight of baby, water, placenta, etc. from resting solely on your pelvis. It can't stop it all, but it can help a lot. I got mine at BRU. Mine has the strap that also goes over the top of the belly, but I never used it. The bigger belt part was sufficient.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Cathis posted:

Hey November buddy! They got a heartbeat for you already!? Was the ultrasound recognizable?

I am going in for my first prenatal Friday, at exactly 8 weeks :) Now I am looking forward to my appointment a little bit more! What science and statistics did you get? I'm a scientist, and I am a big fan of raw data.

Yay November!

The ultrasound was recognisably a blob! This is not my ultrasound but it looks remarkably similar: http://www.advancedfertility.com/images/6-week-ultrasound-picture.jpg. And yes, definite heartbeat, which made me tear up. I was sort of braced for things to be awful, just on general principle but also because my intense nausea had suddenly faded, so I was sure something had gone horribly wrong. I am very, very glad that this practise always does an ultrasound at the first OB appointment to see where everything is and take some measurements.

The science and statistics were about which genetic tests to do and what my chances were of needing amnio, since I'm in my late 30s. Plus she told me about a new blood test called Verify which is apparently more sensitive in detecting some birth defects. Their lab isn't using it yet, but she said she'd be happy to refer me to a lab who'd do it, if I decided I wanted it.

And just saw your post about today's appointment -- congrats!

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Helanna posted:

Unfortunately I can only tell you what helped me for a while. A maternity belt helped for a while. Yoga helped for a while. Sleeping in a recliner helped for a while (and I ended up doing it for a few weeks after the baby was born, because unfortunately the pain didn't end once the baby was out!). Sitting on a heating pad or vibrating massage pad helped for a while. Tylenol did nothing. The only thing that consistently relieved the pain was a hot shower and my husband rapidly punching my butt cheeks. That sounds goofy, but it really worked--he went at them like two punching bags, the harder the better. It was actually really relaxing.

I don't think there's going to be much you can do about it, but I hope you have better luck with it than I did. At almost 12 weeks postpartum I still have some pain when I've been sleeping on my side.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Thank you to everyone for the advice. My husband and I discussed it and honestly, it's too stressful and not good for me to be that stressed.

I'm stopping the breast feeding.

As much as it breaks my heart to do so, I honestly feel it's the best decision for us. Max and I need to start enjoying each other and we can't do that if all I'm doing is crying and going crazy.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Chicken McNobody posted:

Unfortunately I can only tell you what helped me for a while. A maternity belt helped for a while. Yoga helped for a while. Sleeping in a recliner helped for a while (and I ended up doing it for a few weeks after the baby was born, because unfortunately the pain didn't end once the baby was out!). Sitting on a heating pad or vibrating massage pad helped for a while. Tylenol did nothing. The only thing that consistently relieved the pain was a hot shower and my husband rapidly punching my butt cheeks. That sounds goofy, but it really worked--he went at them like two punching bags, the harder the better. It was actually really relaxing.

I don't think there's going to be much you can do about it, but I hope you have better luck with it than I did. At almost 12 weeks postpartum I still have some pain when I've been sleeping on my side.

Fortunately I don't have serious hip pain all the time (yet), but over the past two weeks I have started having mild/moderate hip pain while lying on my side in bed. I'm excited to tell my husband that the cure for this is him punching me in the butt. Or me sitting on a vibrating thing. :quagmire:

On a more serious note though, how did you have him punch you in the butt? Were you standing up? Seems like the ideal position for butt-punching would be lying on your stomach, but that doesn't work out so well during pregnancy.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Maybe you could put a pile of pillows below you with a space near your lower abdomen.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

netally posted:

One blog that really helped me is the Fearless Formula Feeder: http://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/ It's full of stories from mums, many of whom tried to breastfeed, but switched to formula for different reasons. It also debunks a lot of the bad science behind the "ZOMG FORMULA IS MADE OF RAT POISON" type news stories.

Wow, thank you for this blog. I just read a ton of entries and saw so many things that echoed with me. It really made me feel like I was not alone.

Today at the doctor's appointment, we found out Maxine has gained 21 ounces in 12 days, putting her way over her birth weight and making so we don't have to wake her up every 3 hours anymore. It's going to be awesome to sleep in. None of this could have been possible if I hadn't made the choice to formula feed!

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Bodnoirbabe posted:

As much as it breaks my heart to do so, I honestly feel it's the best decision for us. Max and I need to start enjoying each other and we can't do that if all I'm doing is crying and going crazy.

From my experience, I found my relationship with my son got a lot better once I stopped stressing about the breastfeeding (we were doing the domperidone, pumping, etc.) He was happier, I was happier. The stress up to that point was unbelievable. As mentioned before, FFF is a great resource.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

From my experience, I found my relationship with my son got a lot better once I stopped stressing about the breastfeeding (we were doing the domperidone, pumping, etc.) He was happier, I was happier. The stress up to that point was unbelievable. As mentioned before, FFF is a great resource.

Yeah read few entries and it made me feel a lot better.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Thank you to everyone for the advice. My husband and I discussed it and honestly, it's too stressful and not good for me to be that stressed.

I'm stopping the breast feeding.

You're going to feel so much better not in pain or stressed out! :)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Ben Davis posted:

You're going to feel so much better not in pain or stressed out! :)

I actually already do. Once we'd made the final decision, it felt like a weight was lifted. It was nice knowing that I don't have to worry anymore. I've fed him twice since and they've been stress free.

Now we have another issue though. Always something. He doesn't seem to sleep too much. Less than 10 hours a day. I want to think it's because of being stressed. I think the feedings stressed him and he'd get overly tired and then couldn't sleep and repeat ad nauseum. I'm going to start a daily routine and hope that helps. Also revisiting Happiest Baby on the Block for those periods where he just wont shut off.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Ben Davis posted:

Totally normal. Sometimes they just wouldn't stop, and I'd just have him suckle for a little while, which usually worked.

This worked for me as well.

And if that didn't work I would just swaddle and shush and rock her till she got sleepy. After she relaxed, the hiccups stopped. So maybe that would work for you too?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I know the breastfeeding discussion is petering out, but I wanted to weigh in on this since I was in the exact same boat as some of you. I had cracked, bleeding nipples, horrible pain and so much stress that I thought I was losing my mind. I would lie awake scared of hearing him cry for food. I actually started feeling resentful of the baby and the pain he was putting me through. It was just horrible. In addition to the bad latch problems, he wasn't gaining weight well. Turns out that he would get on a boob and suck but not actually eat.

I started doing some pumping at about 1 week because we thought my production was low, and soI had a way to make sure he was eating. The pain and bleeding got bad enough that I switched to exclusive pumping. I healed physically but didn't get up the courage to try nursing again for another couple of weeks. And then cracked and bled all over again. At some point I felt better enough to try yet again, and it was better (at least I wasn't dealing with nipple trauma). I continued with night bottles because I was still feeling the stress and fear of breastfeeding and didn't want to deal with that in the middle of the night; it was still not going great and I just wanted to make sure the baby would go back to sleep after night feedings. But as we got more experienced, pumping finally turned into more of a hassle, I gave night nursing a try, and it worked. This was a big confidence-booster. I wasn't exclusively nursing until 2 months. Over that time I read everything I could, saw an LC three times and stuck with pumping 8x per day or so (when I was exclusively pumping).

We're at 4.5 months now, and we're totally fine. The pumping saved breastfeeding for me. It was so upsetting at the time, especially at first even to be giving bottles, but I got used to it and it made life so much better. We also used some formula way back when he wasn't gaining weight. I just wanted to share my experience and let people know that it's totally possible to pump and let yourself heal (emotionally and physically) and try nursing again when you're ready. Everyone's different, some women won't respond well to the pump and some babies may have a hard time going back to the boob, so I don't know if I should be officially recommending switching to pumping for a bit. But it worked for us. I SO understand the stress and fear and resentment and pain, and hope my story is encouraging rather than ire-inducing. I remember being like "yeah, gently caress you" to anyone who would say it gets better. And yeah, kellymom is an amazing resource. And formula feeding is nothing to be ashamed of, no matter what anyone says. Keeping the baby fed and keeping yourself sane are the most important things. Good luck to everyone dealing with breastfeeding issues.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

Fortunately I don't have serious hip pain all the time (yet), but over the past two weeks I have started having mild/moderate hip pain while lying on my side in bed. I'm excited to tell my husband that the cure for this is him punching me in the butt. Or me sitting on a vibrating thing. :quagmire:

On a more serious note though, how did you have him punch you in the butt? Were you standing up? Seems like the ideal position for butt-punching would be lying on your stomach, but that doesn't work out so well during pregnancy.

We usually combined butt-punching with a hot shower. I would prop myself against the wall of the shower with my back to the spray and he would go to town. Relaxation, pain relief, spousal bonding, and cleanliness all in one! Outside the shower, I just propped against any wall. Never worked the same lying on my side.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I actually already do. Once we'd made the final decision, it felt like a weight was lifted. It was nice knowing that I don't have to worry anymore. I've fed him twice since and they've been stress free.

Now we have another issue though. Always something. He doesn't seem to sleep too much. Less than 10 hours a day. I want to think it's because of being stressed. I think the feedings stressed him and he'd get overly tired and then couldn't sleep and repeat ad nauseum. I'm going to start a daily routine and hope that helps. Also revisiting Happiest Baby on the Block for those periods where he just wont shut off.
I had to give up early on breastfeeding my third child because he was autistic and didn't like the closeness. At the time I felt horrible because we didn't know why he was unhappy and I thought it was my fault, but after a week or so it felt wonderful to use the bottle. The reason it felt wonderful was because once his stress level dropped he started sleeping all night. Bottle fed babies stay full longer and don't have as many sleeping issues usually. Hopefully the same will happen for you soon!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
For those of you with cracked nipples, rubbing breastmilk on them and letting them air dry is very helpful. I started doing it right away because I had the luxury of knowing to do it, and while there was pain for 6 weeks, I didn't get any cracks.

I was given some very terrible advice, from an LC at that, that if I let Lucy cry at the breast for more than 5 minutes she'd develop an aversion and never want to nurse. This is such bullshit, and caused SO MUCH STRESS and latching issues for us. Her pediatrician had nursed all of her children, and she thankfully set me straight very early on. You can keep offering your breast to the baby for 20-30 minutes while they cry. The first few times, it took Lucy the whole 30 minutes to latch on, and then after a week of her crying at the breast, she finally got it.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Awesome Kristin posted:

Holy crap I thought I was alone! I'm at 20 weeks and have been experiencing this for two weeks so far.

Mine kicked off around the 24week mark, and has got progressively worse since then. This last week has been the worst, but I imagine it'll get worse still! My GP recognised it as soon as I mentioned it, and advised me to get on the waiting list for physio immediately, as the appointment can take 6-8 weeks (took just over 6 weeks for me so glad I didn't wait until now to sign up!).

Thankfully for me, my work is making big redundancy cuts at the moment, with a very nice package to bribe people to volunteer, so I opted to take that and money isn't really a concern for now; it will be a few months after the baby's born and I'm still jobless! Boredom being sat on the sofa for 8 weeks is somewhat more likely right now! I've never not worked, so I might go stir crazy.

Fire In The Disco posted:

A pregnancy support belt helped me a lot with SPD the first time around

Physiotherapist gave me this stretchy elastic thing to wear on my stomach. Ridiculously uncomfortable, too tight, felt like the baby was being squeezed and my blood supply cut off! Going to buy a proper belt online that actually fits me.

Chicken McNobody posted:

Unfortunately I can only tell you what helped me for a while.

So far heat (baths, showers, hot water bottles, heating pad) has done nothing for me :( Thinking I might see if getting a good massage is any use, but somewhat concerned it'll hurt more than help! I read that the pain can continue for up to 6 years which is a scary prospect. Weeks I can deal with, even months, but years? Had to change which cot I was going to buy anyway, just in case it continues past baby birth. Wasn't going to get one with a dropside, but now it seems that would be a good idea!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
I just want to say for all the ladies who are currently experiencing breastfeeding issues...PLEASE do not beat yourself up over it. Please do not beat yourself up over anything you are experiencing. I tried exclusively breastfeeding between the 3rd and 4th week but gave up after she didn't gain anything and was horribly upset the entire time because she was so hungry all the time. So we went to pumping and supplementing.

The issues I was having was that she has been having blood in her stools since she was about 2 weeks old. At the 7 week mark she still had this issue. We saw a GI specialist who told us that it was likely something that I'm eating that is passing though my milk into her. She suggested I go on a ridiculously restricted diet that consists of my being able to eat essentially 7 things. Then she wanted to put Mal on a special formula. She would not eat it. Absolutely not. I felt that if I fed her my milk I was causing damage to her gut but if I didn't she wouldn't eat. I had a breakdown. Literal breakdown. I tried to hurt myself, my husband called 911, and I was put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold. I was just discharged yesterday.

My point is: please do not beat yourself up. If you think you have postpartum depression please seek help. I was in denial about how anxious and nervous I was around my child and how stressed I was about being a new parent and it all caught up with me the other night. Being away from my baby for 3 days made me realize that all the stress and anxiety isn't worth it. I never want to experience that pain ever again. It's hard. It's the hardest thing I have ever done and probably the hardest thing I ever will do. But the truth is, we can only do the best we can and make the decisions we feel are best for our children. They will survive in spite of us.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Mangue posted:

I just want to say for all the ladies who are currently experiencing breastfeeding issues...PLEASE do not beat yourself up over it. Please do not beat yourself up over anything you are experiencing. I tried exclusively breastfeeding between the 3rd and 4th week but gave up after she didn't gain anything and was horribly upset the entire time because she was so hungry all the time. So we went to pumping and supplementing.

The issues I was having was that she has been having blood in her stools since she was about 2 weeks old. At the 7 week mark she still had this issue. We saw a GI specialist who told us that it was likely something that I'm eating that is passing though my milk into her. She suggested I go on a ridiculously restricted diet that consists of my being able to eat essentially 7 things. Then she wanted to put Mal on a special formula. She would not eat it. Absolutely not. I felt that if I fed her my milk I was causing damage to her gut but if I didn't she wouldn't eat. I had a breakdown. Literal breakdown. I tried to hurt myself, my husband called 911, and I was put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold. I was just discharged yesterday.

My point is: please do not beat yourself up. If you think you have postpartum depression please seek help. I was in denial about how anxious and nervous I was around my child and how stressed I was about being a new parent and it all caught up with me the other night. Being away from my baby for 3 days made me realize that all the stress and anxiety isn't worth it. I never want to experience that pain ever again. It's hard. It's the hardest thing I have ever done and probably the hardest thing I ever will do. But the truth is, we can only do the best we can and make the decisions we feel are best for our children. They will survive in spite of us.

Blood in the stool of a breastfed baby is usually a sign of a milk and/or soy protein intolerance. That restrictive diet is how you figure out what is causing the problem.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
She's still crapping blood? Formula is made from cow's milk or soy usually, and those are two of the big, common childhood allergies.

I would assume it's one of those two causing the issues. Dreamcatcherkwe has been on a restrictive breastfeeding diet on and off for all three of her kids, I'm sure she'll have some great advice.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
I've started my restricted diet today. No dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree-nuts, or shellfish. It's been about 3-4 days since she's had any visible blood in her stools though. We're going to test for blood in about a week and then again a week after that. We'll see...

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm placing my bets on dairy or soy because those are also common ingredients in formula, and you said she was having issues on the formula as well.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I've done that diet. It's easiest if you find a meal you would regularly eat and stick with that, then slowly branch out into things you wouldn't eat but that are safe.

I ate a lot of chicken and rice with sides of veggies and fruits when I was nursing my first son who is very dairy-allergic.

Allergy tests are extremely unreliable in young children so if that's what the blood testing is about, I'd skip it and just watch her weight and poop instead.

Make sure you check ingredients on everything because there is soy and dairy in everything.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Mangue posted:

I've started my restricted diet today. No dairy, wheat, soy, eggs, peanuts, tree-nuts, or shellfish. It's been about 3-4 days since she's had any visible blood in her stools though. We're going to test for blood in about a week and then again a week after that. We'll see...

Watch out for hidden dairy. It's in nearly everything. http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

And it may take up to 3 weeks to fully eliminate dairy from your milk. Don't expect instant results.

Here's a good overview of MSPI: http://www.completechildrenshealth.com/news/articles/what-is-mspi

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Moms Stuffing posted:

I'm placing my bets on dairy or soy because those are also common ingredients in formula, and you said she was having issues on the formula as well.

We have been using a corn based formula for weeks now. She hasn't been on milk based formula since week 2 or 3.

And dreamcatcher, the test is a stool guaiac test, not an allergy blood test.

Mangue fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 1, 2012

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Mangue posted:

We have been using a corn based formula for weeks now. She hasn't been on milk based formula since week 2 or 3.

And dreamcatcher, the test is a stool guaiac test, not an allergy blood test.

My dairy-allergic kid was corn-sensitive until he was 4 years old. It gave him eczema that cracked and bled.

I'm not familiar with that test but I googled it. So it's just to detect if there is still blood in her stools?

Good luck!

ETA: The best rice pasta brand is Tinkyada - it doesn't get mushy and it's very similar to wheat spaghetti.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Helanna posted:

Sorry to hear about your SPD. I had it pretty bad and ended up on crutches from about 26 weeks. I listened all the physio's advice, took paracetemol, brought the ridiculously expensive SPD belt, yet still felt like someone had hit me in the crotch with a hammer. It improved slightly when the baby went from being transverse to head down, as I was less wobbly on my hips. My maternity pillow helped a little when sleeping, as I could put it between my legs which is supposed to help. Pelvic floor exercises are supposed to be good, and my physio showed me a couple of positions I could do on a birthing ball to help, but again the relief is limited. I don't feel that it gets taken seriously enough. A friend of mine had it so badly that she ended up in a wheelchair at the end of her pregnancy, yet people just dismissed it as a 'normal' part of having a baby.

The only real relief for me came at about 32ish weeks when I went on leave and could pretty much sit on my rear end all day. It's so tempting on a 'good' day to do housework and get out and about, but I found that the next day I would be back to square one. Rest really does seem to be the best thing for it. You're going to get heavier and it's going to get harder to move around, so you really need to take the time off and take care of yourself.

It's not much comfort, but it's only a few weeks and for most people it does clear up straight away. After the birth, the relief of the weight being gone meant that I felt instantly better and just wanted to run up and down the ward!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thanks for writing that up, netally. It's comforting to know that it is something that a lot of women go through and it's not the end of the world. But at the same time it makes me sad that this might be my last week or two at work at only 20 weeks.

Good news though! I can feel the baby moving and kicking all day every day now. My husband is getting jealous so I can't wait for him to feel it as well.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Argh, these boobs. Do they ever stop leaking? I'm at almost 12 weeks postpartum and I still soak nursing pads and wake up sopping wet at night.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Augh I just got stung by a bee. On my toe. in my house. The dr isn't calling me back (probably because it's stupid) but I don't know what to do, I haven't been stung by a bee in more than 20 years. Holy crap i forgot how much it HURTS!!!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Cathis posted:

Augh I just got stung by a bee. On my toe. in my house. The dr isn't calling me back (probably because it's stupid) but I don't know what to do, I haven't been stung by a bee in more than 20 years. Holy crap i forgot how much it HURTS!!!

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you're allergic to bee stings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you're allergic to bee stings.

Well, I don't seem to be :) I was worried just because it's been so long since I was stung I had no ideas what to expect.
The answer is ice, benadryl if it itches (per the dr) and time.
It's stupid that I spend so much time working outside for my job, with bees EVERYWHERE, and I get stung in my kitchen.