Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did you not even read this page? The game is real even if the name isn't.

Sure I did, I'm just amazed/amused with all the "NOTCH JUMP OFF A BRIDGE AND DIE" posts. He never fails...

As for space games, I'm currently more enthusiastic about Blockade Runner. Just release the goddamn new build! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I teleported into my nether wart farm and was greeted with this;

I wasn't aware ghasts could spawn in such a small area :stare:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Rack posted:

I don't have much in the way of excuses for that one, I confused myself. Sword or no I wouldn't have made it though; someone ended up finding me in no time flat and I couldn't even get a hit off on the wooden pick-axe. And it's not like I could've run anywhere.

Pretty sure that was me (Cythrin).

I have to ask, did you not see me on the surface? I pretty much spotted you, panicked, dug a hole, put dirt over my head and crouched. And then you came down for some reason, so I tunneled over and managed to get super lucky.

Ultra Hardcore is literally the most fun I have ever had with Minecraft.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Internet Kraken posted:

Your fault for not claiming it as a plot? No tax in the nether

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've figured out a really simple solution to lighting glass structures: lava trapped behind glass. It's so obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. The only disadvantage is that you're going to want to build everything vertically, since it makes the lava lighting more efficient, but that isn't really that much of a disadvantage since you should already be using glass to build big awesome towers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

change my name posted:

Your fault for not claiming it as a plot? No tax in the nether

It is a plot, which makes it even more perplexing as to how it got in there. It didn't actually do anything other than startle me though.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've figured out a really simple solution to lighting glass structures: lava trapped behind glass. It's so obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. The only disadvantage is that you're going to want to build everything vertically, since it makes the lava lighting more efficient, but that isn't really that much of a disadvantage since you should already be using glass to build big awesome towers.

This made me realize that I've never actually built a house entirely made of glass. That'd be a neat project.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did you not even read this page? The game is real even if the name isn't.

I looked at the actual twitter account and didn't see anything that indicated he's seriously going to make a space game.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Nenonen posted:

Sure I did, I'm just amazed/amused with all the "NOTCH JUMP OFF A BRIDGE AND DIE" posts. He never fails...

As for space games, I'm currently more enthusiastic about Blockade Runner. Just release the goddamn new build! :argh:

It won't even work for me :( Are they ever going to switch to OpenGL or DirectX instead of XNA? It's what's causing all my problems. :argh:

Internet Kraken posted:

Off the top of my head, I think they just need like a 4x4x4 space to spawn.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

D34THROW posted:

It won't even work for me :( Are they ever going to switch to OpenGL or DirectX instead of XNA? It's what's causing all my problems. :argh:

I suppose so - the current demo is months old, so I don't know whether the next build will do anything with regards to that, but somewhere down the road they intend to.

quote:

Will there be a Direct3D version that does not require XNA?

In the future we will move to either pure DirectX or OpenGL, eliminating a majority of the software requirements including XNA.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I looked at the actual twitter account and didn't see anything that indicated he's seriously going to make a space game.

Notch gave the following hints in an earlier interview:

quote:

“I want the space game that’s more like Firefly. I want to run around on my ship and have to put out a fire. Like, oh crap, the cooling system failed, I have to put out the fire here.”Notch told PC Gamer.

He continued: “The goal is to do it the same way I did Minecraft. Just basically have me work on it for a while, and then we’ll add people as needed, and try to charge as soon as possible, because it’s probably going to be open ended sandbox game as well, so it doesn’t need to be completed before people can play it.”

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 1, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Notch can write another codebase. From what I've heard and seen, that's a great plan.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Being able, or even being required to run around your vessel always did seem like a cool idea to me. Anyone play Lost Planet 2? Remember the train level? Of course you do. Single player, it was awful. With a full 4 player squad, it was pretty amazing.

For those not in the know, you were driving a gigantic railway cannon while also under attack by an impossibly massive sand worm. What made this unique is how this cannon was operated. You had to carry shells and load them into the chambers. Another player could super charge the shells. Or a player could load special shells via a crane. A player had to aim and fire the cannon, but it aimed slowly unless another player was helping them rotate. The train had a health meter in addition to the boss and fires could start that players had to put out. All the meanwhile, smaller enemies were constantly boarding the ship.

It was totally insane and really fun at the same time, if you had everyone working together. Unfortunately the AI didn't know how to do most of the jobs, and the jobs it did do, it did poorly. Most people played single player, so most people hated that part. (well, this holds true for the whole game, really) Another awesome game: Dragon Quest Monsters: Rocket Slime. You were a slime that sometimes piloted a humongous tank. You moved around inside the thing, and did stuff like load and fire the ammunition yourself. It was pretty drat cool.

If notch's space game is that level of crazy, I just might be on board.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 1, 2012

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do liquids and glass work better now? Last time I used lava and glass, it was kind of spotty. It was a part of an inverted pyramid and it wouldn't flow downwards correctly. It was uneven and annoyed me, also killed me multiple times. Any large project tends to become the "Jervas Dudley Memorial [Whatever]."

God that was so long ago that when I started there weren't hostile mobs in smp and then it was full of monsters after the update.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Being able, or even being required to run around your vessel always did seem like a cool idea to me. Anyone play Lost Planet 2?

Or... Silent Hunter V? :suicide:

Okay, that was probably totally uncalled for and I should be ashamed. For those who don't know, SH5 replaced the usual interface based on screens for different stations on the sub with a 3D submarine where you would walk through the entire ship and on the deck, and you would get things done by chatting with your officers, like in some adventure game. It felt like a gimmick and the novelty quickly wore off. In any other game that might have been fun, but in a sub sim not so much.

Btw. you might want to check out AirBuccaneers HD, it's a cooperation based airship game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Or... Silent Hunter V? :suicide:

Okay, that was probably totally uncalled for and I should be ashamed. For those who don't know, SH5 replaced the usual interface based on screens for different stations on the sub with a 3D submarine where you would walk through the entire ship and on the deck, and you would get things done by chatting with your officers, like in some adventure game. It felt like a gimmick and the novelty quickly wore off. In any other game that might have been fun, but in a sub sim not so much.

Btw. you might want to check out AirBuccaneers HD, it's a cooperation based airship game.

I never played SH5, stuck with just 3 and 4. Before it was just because I heard of a lot of DRM issues. Now, I'm glad to have my choice reaffirmed. That's the type of thing I would love to do for an hour or two. But there was no option at all for the more traditional control methods? I am a sucker for this gimmick, so maybe I would have liked it, but man, that doesn't sound great.

Air Buccs was awesome. I really enjoyed the mod. I'll give the stand alone game a shot, maybe.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I've been playing some super casual Ultra Hardcore with some friends, just generating pretty small maps with limited boundaries and scattering everybody from 0,0. The rounds take 30 mins at most because the maps are pretty small and combat usually picks up within 10 minutes, with the rule of the last two people have to stay outside looking for eachother no matter what.

Since it's not super serious, we've all been on Skype with one another. At one point early into a round I dug myself into the side of a mountain and was letting some porkchops cook and announced I had to take a bathroom break and joked that I had better not be dead when I got back. Sure enough I came back to the "You Have Died!" screen and can hear my friends laughing through my headset. Apparently one of them had been stalking me for a good minute before I left, and thought I was trying to trick him into thinking I was AFK.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Bebopaloobop posted:

I've been playing some super casual Ultra Hardcore with some friends, just generating pretty small maps with limited boundaries and scattering everybody from 0,0. The rounds take 30 mins at most because the maps are pretty small and combat usually picks up within 10 minutes, with the rule of the last two people have to stay outside looking for eachother no matter what.

Since it's not super serious, we've all been on Skype with one another. At one point early into a round I dug myself into the side of a mountain and was letting some porkchops cook and announced I had to take a bathroom break and joked that I had better not be dead when I got back. Sure enough I came back to the "You Have Died!" screen and can hear my friends laughing through my headset. Apparently one of them had been stalking me for a good minute before I left, and thought I was trying to trick him into thinking I was AFK.

Is there a simple way to limit the size of the map and scatter everyone? Those are the only two things stopping me from putting up a server myself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much faster is a powered minecart system compared to sprinting? I'm wondering if it will be worth the effort to set one up in my strip mine. Normally I wouldn't waste gold on making powered rails but my brother apparently made about 100 of the things while I wasn't playing so I might as well find a use for them.

I've never really messed around with redstone though. Never made sense to me.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

How much faster is a powered minecart system compared to sprinting? I'm wondering if it will be worth the effort to set one up in my strip mine. Normally I wouldn't waste gold on making powered rails but my brother apparently made about 100 of the things while I wasn't playing so I might as well find a use for them.

I've never really messed around with redstone though. Never made sense to me.

Carts are almost twice as fast as walking, sprinting is only 30% faster than walking, you don't have to worry about stamina with carts, you can also place the powered rails quite far apart and still maintain the top speed. You only need one powered rail per 30-ish blocks of regular track.

If you're setting up something that has a huge distance then rails are the way to go, for short journeys minecarts might seem like a waste.

lohli fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 1, 2012

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One every 36 or two every 50 to maintain maximum speed

Ideally you should run rail in the nether (at Y=16, underground to avoid lakes and ghasts), allows you to effectively move something like 64 blocks a second in the overworld, not counting nether wavy-purple-screen time.

It takes ~1:45 to travel 1000 blocks in the nether, which is 8000 blocks in the overworld.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Hell, if you want to dick around with a bit of Redstone, you can build up momentum on a circular track and open it up to the main line on a time delay. This is much easier to do with repeaters than it was back in the old days.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lohli posted:

Carts are almost twice as fast as walking, sprinting is only 30% faster than walking, you don't have to worry about stamina with carts, you can also place the powered rails quite far apart and still maintain the top speed. You only need one powered rail per 30-ish blocks of regular track.

If you're setting up something that has a huge distance then rails are the way to go, for short journeys minecarts might seem like a waste.

Sounds like it might be a project worth looking into. My strip mine is getting pretty big now and I've got plenty of resources to make the rails. In my old strip mine I just made a canal but I'm not sure how fast that is relevant to sprinting, and since I have the powered rails I might as well use them.

Danzou posted:

Hell, if you want to dick around with a bit of Redstone, you can build up momentum on a circular track and open it up to the main line on a time delay. This is much easier to do with repeaters than it was back in the old days.

That sounds like complete giberish to me :v: Looks like I'm going to have to read about redstone on the wiki for a while.

Did powered minecarts ever get a use or are they still just a relic of the old versions?

EDIT: Oh, and if a minecart runs into a creature, does the creature get moved or does the cart just stop?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 1, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

That trailer for the Super Hardcore thing made me interested. Is there a prefered viewing order that makes it enjoyable?
(And more importantly, where can I find the videos?)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Fren posted:

Is there a simple way to limit the size of the map and scatter everyone? Those are the only two things stopping me from putting up a server myself.

The Ultra Hardcore plugin for Bukkit technically has everything you need. There's a setting to create borders, and a setting to randomize spawns. It's still a bit buggy and doesn't work quite as right as having dedicated plugins for all of them. You can just disable the border/random spawn function of Ultra Hardcore and use the Scatter plugin somebody linked earlier and the WorldBorder plugin.

What I do is start the server to generate a world, then open the level.dat in NBTExplorer and change the spawn to 0,0. Once everybody is in, we gather around and I use the scatter plugin ( /scatter [radius] ) to scatter everybody around the map using the radius of the WorldBorder plugin I have setup.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Iacen posted:

That trailer for the Super Hardcore thing made me interested. Is there a prefered viewing order that makes it enjoyable?
(And more importantly, where can I find the videos?)

This playlist was linked earlier, it has all the episodes in some kind of order.

Danzou posted:

Does this top out? A functionally infinite distance cart launcher was the one thing I missed since powered rails replaced booster carts. Seriously, four carts and a bit of rail let you propel an occupied cart for 40 minutes. It was pretty hard to refit the rail lines after that. Also made a 16 destination subway switcher overkill.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Pretty sure that was me (Cythrin).

I have to ask, did you not see me on the surface? I pretty much spotted you, panicked, dug a hole, put dirt over my head and crouched. And then you came down for some reason, so I tunneled over and managed to get super lucky.

Ultra Hardcore is literally the most fun I have ever had with Minecraft.

Nope, didn't see you at all. I heard some digging around for a bit but didn't see a nametag, then someone popped in right by my crafting table for a second, and that was the sign that it was over. Good show though; I look forward to revenge in the next game.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Jervas Dudley posted:

Does this top out? A functionally infinite distance cart launcher was the one thing I missed since powered rails replaced booster carts. Seriously, four carts and a bit of rail let you propel an occupied cart for 40 minutes. It was pretty hard to refit the rail lines after that. Also made a 16 destination subway switcher overkill.
Yeah, there are diminishing returns as you stay in the loop longer. The wiki has the math on it, but I never personally ran up against the limit.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Marshmallow Creeps! With a hint of sulfur. I wonder if they explode in your stomach.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Out of all their April Fools' day product lineup, I'm actually disappointed for their sake that Creeps are not a real product. They'd probably sell well at that price.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

babies havin rabies posted:

Out of all their April Fools' day product lineup, I'm actually disappointed for their sake that Creeps are not a real product. They'd probably sell well at that price.

They've made a number of their April Fools items into real products though. The Star Wars sleeping bag, the iCade, etc.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the first things from this year's april fools that they make into a real product.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Necrosaro posted:

Marshmallow Creeps! With a hint of sulfur. I wonder if they explode in your stomach.

I would eat the hell out of these. I love Peeps.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Necrosaro posted:

Put some pop-rocks in 'em and you've got the product of the year right there.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Pretty sure a cat would make those disappear, too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tardcore posted:

Put some pop-rocks in 'em and you've got the product of the year right there.

Just stick them in the microwave for a few seconds. Might even hear the same sizzle.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

IUG posted:

Just stick them in the microwave for a few seconds. Might even hear the same sizzle.

Haha. I hope those these become real, just so I can do this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

IUG posted:

Put one on the end of a stick and roast it over a bonfire.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Question about map renders. I'm currently running a server and I'm using Overview to render a world and output html that I upload to my personal webhost and we have have a very nice google maps style interface that is a map rendering system.

However our rendered files are now approaching 5 gigs and it takes forever to upload to my server. Like all night kinda slow.

So I was wanting to know if anyone knows any other good map renders. I was looking to use dynmap with Bukkit but our host is through Akliz and from what I've read dynmap doesn't really work with those 3rd party hosting sites.

Any suggestions?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Put one on the end of a stick and roast it over a bonfire.

I take it you have never put a peep in the microwave.

Buy a new microwave

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
In multiplayer, is there any way to keep sheep in a pen? Should I be building my sheep pen out of stone or some other material instead of fences?

I've tried building the pen two and three fences high, tried putting a roof on it, and tried building a second fence around the pen a block away to catch errant sheep. They still continue to teleport to the top of the fence or through it and wander away.

This is on Minecraft 1.2.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

CaptainCaveman posted:

In multiplayer, is there any way to keep sheep in a pen? Should I be building my sheep pen out of stone or some other material instead of fences?

I've tried building the pen two and three fences high, tried putting a roof on it, and tried building a second fence around the pen a block away to catch errant sheep. They still continue to teleport to the top of the fence or through it and wander away.

This is on Minecraft 1.2.4.

You'll need to make a wall that is at least 3 blocks wide and high to keep them in, so you're better off actually making your pen a pit, this is pretty much the only way I've seen them absolutely stay in.