Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

skinny white boy posted:

So I'm going through Uncharted for the first time and do these enemies ever stop coming? This is so aggravating. I get a brief moment of wandering around this island and then enemies are swarming me from every direction.

How much climbing do I get to do after the jetski part? Or more importantly, how much more shooting do I have to do after that?

How far am I into this game, why won't this shooting crap end.

If you're spending all your time in one spot in cover then you're playing it wrong. The most fun way to play is to run and gun, vaulting over cover and punching dudes in the balls. Use the environments to your advantage, hang from ledges, run straight at the enemies spraying bullets and finish em' off with a drop kick to the face. And when you shoot in the bad guys vicinity, they will flinch, giving you time to run up and knock them out with a brutal combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Cardboard Fox posted:

Shooting bad guys and climbing poo poo is the basis of the game. If you're not having fun with those then I don't know why you're playing the series.

There are a few points that have a lot more enemies, but it never really felt too bad since I enjoyed the gunplay of the games quite a bit. They're the first 3 games I actually got platinum trophies for and I loved every minute of it.

I like the climbing and exploring but the combat is too frequent. I was really excited when I got captured in the little prison cell because it seemed like there would be a crawl around segment.

Then the wall gets ripped out and it's mounted gun chase sequence.

Cab posted:

The first one is the worst as far as to much combat at once. So don't give up.

The enemies are bullet sponges and your made of glass in the first Uncharted.
Alright, that's good to hear. I'll probably return this to Blockbuster real soon and get the second one then.

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

combostuff
I would do this but my triangle button is a little stiff and I can't brutalized dudes. The game keeps prompting me to and it just won't happen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

skinny white boy posted:

I like the climbing and exploring but the combat is too frequent. I was really excited when I got captured in the little prison cell because it seemed like there would be a crawl around segment.
Yeah, Uncharted is mostly combat. Nate may call himself a treasure hunter but we all know what he really is: the greatest commando in the history of the world who for some reason wastes his time searching for treasure instead of hiring himself out as a merc and winning whole wars by himself during the rest of the army's lunch break.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Drake spends like half of Golden Abyss just climbing around and solving puzzles. It's actually really refreshing.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

skinny white boy posted:

I would do this but my triangle button is a little stiff and I can't brutalized dudes. The game keeps prompting me to and it just won't happen.

Ruh roh, this might lead you to having problems later on. End boss has a QTE segment and I am 99% sure triangle is used.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of QTEs, in Dead Souls, is there any unlockable skill that extends the time you have to execute Heat Snipes? drat those are some quick QTEs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking of QTEs, in Dead Souls, is there any unlockable skill that extends the time you have to execute Heat Snipes? drat those are some quick QTEs.

I think there's an item for it. The QTEs get even faster as you play on harder difficulties.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

skinny white boy posted:

I might suggest you hold off until you can get a DS replacement. Uncharted with brutal combos is some of the most fun I've had with this generation of games.

This is pretty much what your essential Uncharted series combat should look like, just freestyle shootbeatings and leave the constant cover humping to the Gears people. (Unspoilery Uncharted 3 combat, but pretty much UC1-3 for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jLv6pR6ZSk#t=2m38s

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played some of DMC2 in the HD collection, it has got to be the least cunningly designed action game I have seen in a long time. I could have beaten the first boss with one hand tied behind my back, with two hands I wasn't hit once. All the normal enemies can be beat by just mashing square, you don't even need to move. Does it ever get any better?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

No. DMC2 is a bad game. Just go play 3.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

No. DMC2 is a bad game. Just go play 3.

Yeah, DMC2 is to DMC as Ninja Gaiden 3 is to NG. I think it was developed largely by a new team, too. I don't think they ever referenced it again in the series, past or future.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, I'll just forget about that entirely and focus on 3. Any idea what "special edition" means for that? There are a lot of versions of 3 and I can't keep them straight.

edit: also since my PS3 is set to Japanese it defaulted to Japanese language, but I wonder if anything else changed? I thought I remembered that the Japanese and US versions of DMC3 were all different in various ways, but I can't remember how.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 1, 2012

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played some of DMC2 in the HD collection, it has got to be the least cunningly designed action game I have seen in a long time. I could have beaten the first boss with one hand tied behind my back, with two hands I wasn't hit once. All the normal enemies can be beat by just mashing square, you don't even need to move. Does it ever get any better?

Conveniently this description also works for Ninja Gaiden 2, which is another giant pile of garbage. Maybe it's better if we never get a Bayonetta 2...

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The special edition is the one that you can play as Vergil and has the bloody palace. I think they dumbed down the difficulty in it a bit since the original was balls hard. I don't remember if you can access the bloody palace at start but if you can it's an excellent source of red orbs so you can basically start the game with maxed out skills. I could be mistaken since it's been forever and a day since i've played it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Conveniently this description also works for Ninja Gaiden 2, which is another giant pile of garbage.

Eh? :raise:

Maybe the PS3 version, which dumbed things down somewhat, but the original version of NG2, while not hugely polished, was a drat fine game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I was quite disappointed with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, but I heard at least the original is better. Nothing like NG3 which is apparently a total disaster.

One thing that DMC3 doesn't have that modern games like this do is a way to move really fast. In trickster mode you can dash, but it is relatively slow and has quite a long recovery window before you can attack. You can dodge side to side using jump but it doesn't take you very far and you can only do it side to side, not in or out. That's the only part of combat that hasn't aged well, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I was quite disappointed with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, but I heard at least the original is better. Nothing like NG3 which is apparently a total disaster.

One thing that DMC3 doesn't have that modern games like this do is a way to move really fast. In trickster mode you can dash, but it is relatively slow and has quite a long recovery window before you can attack. You can dodge side to side using jump but it doesn't take you very far and you can only do it side to side, not in or out. That's the only part of combat that hasn't aged well, I think.

You get a bunch of moves which let you move very quickly, and higher levels of Trickster allow instant transportation.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

You get a bunch of moves which let you move very quickly, and higher levels of Trickster allow instant transportation.
Oh yeah, I forgot. Back in 2005 or whatever I mostly played Royal Guard anyway. I don't think I'll do that this time though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In DMC3 you dodge mostly with the siderolls or an occasional jump. The fastest way to move between enemies was with Stinger, the E+Y dual rush attack, Beowulf's aerial divekick. Rebellion+Beowulf with Swordmaster Level3 is probably the most "balanced" moveset.

My favorite part of DMC3 though is that you can pretty much play any weapon combo with any style and get unique ways to play, like with Gunslinger Level 3 and a Shotgun your shotgun gets Stinger and an AOE repeated attack and it basically becomes another melee weapon for you to use, or Artemis becomes a source of damage and extended combos you charge mid-melee combo then unleash as a finisher when you knock them away.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dominic White posted:

Eh? :raise:

Maybe the PS3 version, which dumbed things down somewhat, but the original version of NG2, while not hugely polished, was a drat fine game.

I think I played the original version... at least I know I played it on the Xbox. All I remember doing standing there with the Scythe, mashing x, and watching every enemy disintegrate without any effort at all. It was very disappointing after how technical the combat in the first game was.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Does darksiders get any better? I've been playing for a few hours now and I have to stop out of boredom. I thought my GoW days were over.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Darksiders' first hours are horrible. I would give it a little more time, but if you're not enjoying it by the time you beat the first boss, it won't get any better.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Spermando posted:

Darksiders' first hours are horrible. I would give it a little more time, but if you're not enjoying it by the time you beat the first boss, it won't get any better.

I just got this game, when you say horrible first hours are we talking Dark Souls help-what-am-i-doing horrible, or Yakuza 3 why-is-this-an-orphanage-simulator-this-is-slow-as-gently caress horrible? Or is it just tedious? I'll probably work my way through it after i've finished Uncharted 3 but It'd be good to know just what I'm getting myself into

EDIT: Also, what is it specifically about Devil May Cry 2 that makes it such an abomination compared to the other games, people go on about how it's terrible and that noone mentions it ever but I don't think anyone's ever said specifically what makes it bad bar the comment a poster made earlier about enemy behaviour patterns being rather asinine

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 1, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay, I'll just forget about that entirely and focus on 3. Any idea what "special edition" means for that? There are a lot of versions of 3 and I can't keep them straight.

I think for the Greatest Hits version of DMC3 they added all kinds of new moves and weapons and tweaked the camera and such. It's a really goddamn good game and easily the best in the series.

tophet
Oct 28, 2003

Young Orc

Ape Agitator posted:

Uncharted 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jLv6pR6ZSk#t=2m38s
Great, now I have to play this again. I can't believe there were people who liked 2 but didn't love this game.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

I just got this game, when you say horrible first hours are we talking Dark Souls help-what-am-i-doing horrible, or Yakuza 3 why-is-this-an-orphanage-simulator-this-is-slow-as-gently caress horrible? Or is it just tedious? I'll probably work my way through it after i've finished Uncharted 3 but It'd be good to know just what I'm getting myself into

EDIT: Also, what is it specifically about Devil May Cry 2 that makes it such an abomination compared to the other games, people go on about how it's terrible and that noone mentions it ever but I don't think anyone's ever said specifically what makes it bad bar the comment a poster made earlier about enemy behaviour patterns being rather asinine

The first few hours is when its, erm, borrowed gameplay from other series (GoW & Zelda mostly) is really felt. Kind of makes the game feel slow. But I agree, it picks up over time as you get more weapons/skills (even thought one of them is a Portal gun).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The DMC HD Collection ports aren't fancy, but after trying the Silent Hill HD Collection I have to say I'm glad that they didn't mess with it too much. At least the DMC ports work right, have steady framerate, and don't have a lot of mysterious glitches all over the place. It's no Metal Gear Solid HD Collection but it at least does the things it DOES do right.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Polite Tim posted:

Literally every design element that made the first game good was botched. The signature moves that added a lot of strategy to the combat (like Stinger and High Time) were nerfed and rendered useless. But it doesn't matter, because the AI and stage design are so bad that you can beat most of the game by standing on a corner shooting. Enemies aren`t interesting to fight, there´s only one weapon, and even the hardest difficulty mode is relatively easy.
Basically, it has all the elements of the first game, but every single one of them was horribly executed.

quote:

I just got this game, when you say horrible first hours are we talking Dark Souls help-what-am-i-doing horrible, or Yakuza 3 why-is-this-an-orphanage-simulator-this-is-slow-as-gently caress horrible?
The latter. The problem is it takes too long to establish what it wants to do.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 1, 2012

mendipbus
Mar 16, 2006
Anyone know why port royale 3 was delayed from an end of march release to a mid august release?

Was looking forward to playing that this weekend.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

Also, what is it specifically about Devil May Cry 2 that makes it such an abomination compared to the other games, people go on about how it's terrible and that noone mentions it ever but I don't think anyone's ever said specifically what makes it bad bar the comment a poster made earlier about enemy behaviour patterns being rather asinine

AccountingNightmare made an excellent retrospective of her experience Let's Playing it on Dante Must Die mode.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/blip/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fblip.tv%2Faccountingnightmare%2Flet-s-play-devil-may-cry-2-retrospective-5425572

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Also just read any review ever for DMC2 and you'll see exactly what's wrong.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Does darksiders get any better? I've been playing for a few hours now and I have to stop out of boredom. I thought my GoW days were over.

I personally never loved it's combat but I did like the puzzles so if you lean toward the latter I would stick with it. I've never been a DMC type player and got through GoW mostly through button mashing so I undoubtedly missed some of the enjoyment of the variable weapon type combat in Darksiders. So maybe combat could have been more fun if I had played it that way.

But I will definitely play Darksiders 2 when it comes around.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/03/26/mistborn-birthright-announced-for-ps3-xbox-360-pc-mac/

Hmm, interesting.

Not a PS3 exclusive or anything, and it's still far from release, but there is at least some potential here. A videogame written by a published, somewhat well known author with what could be a very unique battle system. Plus, I liked the Mistborn books.

Has Little Orbit released anything of note before?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/03/26/mistborn-birthright-announced-for-ps3-xbox-360-pc-mac/

Hmm, interesting.

Not a PS3 exclusive or anything, and it's still far from release, but there is at least some potential here. A videogame written by a published, somewhat well known author with what could be a very unique battle system. Plus, I liked the Mistborn books.

Has Little Orbit released anything of note before?

Nope. Their list is pretty bad. I think their most noteworthy thing is a crappy Sherlock Holmes adventure story.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Dead Souls is amazing, oh my god. Aside from the annoyances I have with the camera/controls [which I'm adjusting to], this game is just great.

Question though: I just beat part 1 kind of by accident [didn't realize what I did was going to trigger the chapter ending], but I left some side missions unfinished. Can I go back and do them later?

Also, Majima's part so far is perfect for him. "Oh, zombies in my apartment? gently caress YES KILL 'EM ALL :black101: Oh I killed them all? GOTTA FIND MOOOORE

And Akiyama is a stone-cold badass. I knew this already, but seeing how he deals with zombie rampages certainly helps. Dude needs his own game, I'm telling you [again!]

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Is Yakuza: Dead Souls canonical? Not that it will affect how enjoyable it is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

That loving Sned posted:

Is Yakuza: Dead Souls canonical? Not that it will affect how enjoyable it is.
I don't think anyone knows yet, Yakuza 5 is too early in development (since they're finally doing a large-scale technical and gameplay upgrade on it).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I finally finished Uncharted 3 after playing it in small segments over a long time. It was a solid game, but I found it took a pretty big step down from UC2.

On purely a gameplay level it had a 2-3 major flaws for me. The primary one being that they reverted the combat tempo back to that of UC1, throwing wave after wave after wave of badguys at you. UC2 managed to fix that by averaging around two waves of enemies in an encounter. This game went back to 3+ waves, which starts to make the gunplay go from fun to tedious. Another issue is that I wish they would just give up on promoting melee combat in these games, or at least put way more effort into it. Since the combat used two buttons, and mainly consisted of just mashing square, every single melee fight in the game plated out exactly the same. It's just far more boring than the gunplay, and to make matters worse they forced you to use it in this one more than a couple of times. My third big issue is that I just felt a lot of "been there, done that" for most of the set pieces in the game. Rescue kidnapped ally-- Check. Car Chase-- Check. Ancient Undiscovered city that falls apart-- check. The only set piece that really made an impact on me was the cruise ship, which was fantastic. Sadly, it really was the [i]only[i] one that left me with any strong impression.

Story wise I thought it suffered even more. The stories in the other two were fantastical, yet made sense within the context of the world they've created. This one felt far less cohesive. What's the deal with magic the spiders (they at least have explanations for the mystical elements in the other two games)? Marlow brings up that Nathan Drake is fake name, but this point is never elaborated on again. Why did the ruler of that ancient city poison the water supply? Why do the bad guys need an ancient hallucinogenic agent so badly when they've already been using one that works great throughout the game. That desert nomad character has to be one of the weakest supporting character I've ever seen. Why did Chloe and the other dude never work their way back into the story? It just felt very very sloppy to me. On top of that the writing is starting to feel very samey, and it's starting to get old when I can literally guess Drake's lines word for word before he says them.

Despite all this the game is still decent, but it worries me when a franchise takes such a noticeable drop in quality. I think Naught Dog should either end it here or seriously consider how they can mix it up before making the fourth one.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think anyone knows yet, Yakuza 5 is too early in development (since they're finally doing a large-scale technical and gameplay upgrade on it).

Can't wait for this.

So far, in my head, I've been treating Dead Souls like Yakuza's answer to a Simpsons Halloween Special. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Team Yakuza has already confirmed 5 will be following 4, not Dead Souls. So no, (probably) nothing in that game will be kept for 5 aside from maybe some mini-games and engine improvements.

edit: actually it'll probably be like kenzan where they kept a bunch of gameplay stuff too like revelations, so I expect subterranea and directives to return.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 1, 2012

• Locked thread