Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Samopsa posted:

Nice spoilertags, bro. Also, yeah, it was a bit weak but it was better then just a cinematic imo.
I happen to think that watching Shepard hide behind a rock while a Reaper gets blasted to bits would be a vast improvement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Why does it feel like everything I say to Jacob is flirting? :argh:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Paino posted:

Hahahaha the Reaper on Rannoch, what a crappy moment of gameplay. Yeah Shepard just stay in an open spot looking confused instead of hiding somewhere to laser target him.

What a crock of bullshit.

Yeah, you're in the minority it seems. I actually felt loving pumped, taking that thing on. Then again, it was during my canon Manshep run with a Tali Romance, so it felt more fitting that way.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Samopsa posted:

Also, yeah, it was a bit weak but it was better then just a cinematic imo.

It looked really silly. Shepard is becoming some kind of dumber Jack Bauer.

I'm sorry about the spoiler tags, I supposed the fact that Shepard kills Reapers on planets wasn't really a spoiler, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. (spoilertagged now)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Elysiume posted:

Why does it feel like everything I say to Jacob is flirting? :argh:

Because for some reason Shep is a total creeper in 2 when it comes to him. I always ended up taking middle and then avoiding him for large chunks of the game. I did get him to promise to spill drinks with me though :3:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've tried the Rannoch reaper sequence 12 times now. It makes me think the people that made this game never bothered playing it. There's no way to tell just how close the beam can get to you without dying from your view, and sometimes it bugs and never stops firing so there's no possibility of avoiding it even with continuous rolls.

EDIT: Managed to get a shot off and... the sequence continues. I turned it off for now because I am not enjoying this. So any time I see the beam I should just run all the way to the other end and retarget?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 1, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Dick Trauma posted:

I've tried the Rannoch reaper sequence 12 times now. It makes me think the people that made this game never bothered playing it. There's no way to tell just how close the beam can get to you without dying from your view, and sometimes it bugs and never stops firing so there's no possibility of avoiding it even with continuous rolls.

Fix your spoiler tags :ssh:

Don't bother with rolls, just stand at one side of the area and start running to the other side when the beam starts.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Managed to get a shot off and... the sequence continues. I turned it off for now because I am not enjoying this. So any time I see the beam I should just run all the way to the other end and retarget?

Yes, do something other than thing that consistently doesn't work. All hail unlimited sprint! More to the point, pay attention to what the beam is doing. It homes in and traces up - eventually aiming over you, before it cuts off, and the enemy retargets.

By sprinting you can keep the beam, away from you - but you don't necessarily want to, or need to, run until the beam stops - only until it'll aim above you without hitting you first. In real terms, a couple of seconds sprinting is sufficient; you can target while the beam is active, and indeed, doing so gives you more time to target.

Edit: I've seen youtube vids of people rolling in that encounter, but for me, that leaves no margin at all. Always be sprinting.

magimix fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 1, 2012

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes. The bad news is you have to hit it 4 times i think and it gets harder each time. I died a couple times until I realized you don't actually have to aim your gun while firing, at all. Just hold the button down pointing wherever, then once it's all the way closed you just have to swing it over to the target, and even then it only cares about the horizontal position.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
For Zaeed and Kasumi, are their conversations all one-sided because they didn't have the time/money/effort to record the Shepard parts?

Speaking of them, getting their alternate uniforms and dressing yourself up in red makes for a nice looking team.

Calypso Hippo
Dec 29, 2008

Free Air! No Oppression!
If you stand still and fire your laser targets much quicker than if you are moving.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Haha I was just replaying the ardat yakshi monastery mission and I realised that the for the last line they didn't actually used the voice of Cotez when you call in the shuttle, it's just some guy reading his line. It's like they forgot to record it at the time or something.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Elysiume posted:

For Zaeed and Kasumi, are their conversations all one-sided because they didn't have the time/money/effort to record the Shepard parts?

They were DLC so presumably it was a resource thing. However they probably end up saying more than your other shipmates, really, if you visit them after missions they usually have a little something to say about it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

skoolmunkee posted:

They were DLC so presumably it was a resource thing. However they probably end up saying more than your other shipmates, really, if you visit them after missions they usually have a little something to say about it.

It feels as much like an experiment as like limited resources to me. The model used in ME3, of characters you can't talk to at any time who instead have a few interactive dialogues and a profusion of non-interactive chatter, feels like it's being prototyped by Zaeed and Kasumi (and by Dragon Age 2, as well - you can definitely see the idea developing from game to game).

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Dick Trauma posted:

Stand on one side of the arena.

Wait a certain amount of time to let it fix on your position. This is a bit of trial and error, usually a couple seconds.

Strafe and dodge roll to the other side of the arena.

Repeat.

This is all the strategy you need; if you still die, you are screwing up some of the timing at some point and need to adjust. After the second hit I found I could basically just stand there lighting it up and the barrage would start before the laser reached me, interrupting it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Going through the earlier parts of ME2 for the third time (last two times I didn't get past the Omega 4 Relay because 1) I switched to a computer that couldn't run ME2 and 2) I started ME1), and so many things make so much more sense now.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Meiteron posted:

Strafe and dodge roll to the other side of the arena.

Repeat.

This is all the strategy you need; if you still die, you are screwing up some of the timing at some point and need to adjust. After the second hit I found I could basically just stand there lighting it up and the barrage would start before the laser reached me, interrupting it.

I see the description. I've seen it done in vids. But I much prefer the greater margin you get while sprinting (just finished that particular mission a minute ago, so its especially fresh in mind). Also, resolving the conflict between the Geth and the Quarians gives me the warm fuzzies, even though the Quarians in particular (most of their high command, at the least) were petulant children that had to be dragged along, kicking and screaming.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
Okay this is a little frustrating.

I want to get the From Ashes DLC on my PC, but the only way to do that is through the in-game Origin client. Problem is, clicking the "Buy DLC" button does absolutely nothing.

Anyone else have a similar problem or know how to fix it? I've tried restarting the game and Origin a few times to no avail.

Edit: I found a way to do it through Origin itself.

Dr. Bonertron fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 1, 2012

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

magimix posted:

Yes, do something other than thing that consistently doesn't work. All hail unlimited sprint! More to the point, pay attention to what the beam is doing. It homes in and traces up - eventually aiming over you, before it cuts off, and the enemy retargets.

By sprinting you can keep the beam, away from you - but you don't necessarily want to, or need to, run until the beam stops - only until it'll aim above you without hitting you first. In real terms, a couple of seconds sprinting is sufficient; you can target while the beam is active, and indeed, doing so gives you more time to target.

Edit: I've seen youtube vids of people rolling in that encounter, but for me, that leaves no margin at all. Always be sprinting.

I did it by rolling. I died a few times and got frustrated until I realized that you don't have to get the shot off each time - the targeting reticule picks up where you left off.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

magimix posted:

Also, resolving the conflict between the Geth and the Quarians gives me the warm fuzzies, even though the Quarians in particular (most of their high command, at the least) were petulant children that had to be dragged along, kicking and screaming.

Definitely gonna kill the quarians on my next playthrough. gently caress 'em.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

HoveringCheesecake posted:

I did it by rolling. I died a few times and got frustrated until I realized that you don't have to get the shot off each time - the targeting reticule picks up where you left off.

I'm sure pulling it off feels pretty rad, but for me I just prefer the sprint method, as I regard it as essentially risk-free. I spend no time at all concerned with getting killed, and all my time appreciating the spectacle of what is happening.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Holy crap, the paragon/renegade interrupts in this game really take it different directions from where the scene would normally go. Aside from big ones like keeping Sarmara from offing herself, there's one after Thessia, when you go to talk to Liara in her carbin. She starts blaming herself for everything and if you take the paragon interrupt, you give her a pep talk about how much she's done for her people and you get Liara super-proactive. If you don't take the interrupt, she just lays on the bed and starts crying while Shepard walks away and looks like she feels like a piece of poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dwazegek posted:

Definitely gonna kill the quarians on my next playthrough. gently caress 'em.

I really wanted to do this but I couldn't stand the thought of it after getting Tali back. I didn't want to lose her and Legion in the span of one minute :(

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Great, by the time the combined fleet at Earth gets out of Sol, the Yahg will loving be in charge of the galaxy...

Everything about the ending BUT the ending was great. The graphics and the setting, the game play design, the music...all of it was awesome. It was the writing that dragged it all down.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
OH MY GOD Tali's face is a slightly photoshopped random brunette from google images.

:ughh:

This is 4chan level of trolling. I'm speechless. And my suspension of disbelief is obviously gone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paino posted:

OH MY GOD Tali's face is a slightly photoshopped random brunette from google images.

:ughh:

This is 4chan level of trolling. I'm speechless. And my suspension of disbelief is obviously gone.

You're seriously slow on the uptake, aren't you

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Oxxidation posted:

You're seriously slow on the uptake, aren't you

Maybe because I just play games how and whenever I want and don't spoil myself with stupid poo poo like trailers, promos, previews, trailer for the trailer, forum discussing rumors, etc.

So yeah, it's the first time I see it and it looks stupid, even for a troll. Forgive me if I only talk about a game in a game forum after I've plaid said game, maybe I'm old-fashioned.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

Great, by the time the combined fleet at Earth gets out of Sol, the Yahg will loving be in charge of the galaxy...

(Ending) They do have normal FTL you know!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Paino posted:

Maybe because I just play games how and whenever I want and don't spoil myself with stupid poo poo like trailers, promos, previews, trailer for the trailer, forum discussing rumors, etc.

So yeah, it's the first time I see it and it looks stupid, even for a troll. Forgive me if I only talk about a game in a game forum after I've plaid said game, maybe I'm old-fashioned.

I plaid a trailer once and boy-sirreee it was stupid poo poo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just did some mission to help an Asari on the citadel, the outcome was the most depressing ever.

The poet krogan, goddammit I liked that guy. :smith:

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Dan Didio posted:

I plaid a trailer once and boy-sirreee it was stupid poo poo.

I used to love trailers, then they decided it was brilliant to show 90% of plot points in them, and I stopped seeing them altogether.

They already ruined a number of movies/games for me.

For example, I take it you haven't seen the extended trailer to Sunshine before the movie itself. That kind of poo poo is pretty much the standard now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Alteisen posted:

Just did some mission to help an Asari on the citadel, the outcome was the most depressing ever.

The poet krogan, goddammit I liked that guy. :smith:

Ah! I always wondered about that. Now i'm sad.

And something I realized for the fight everyone was talking about as long as you hold the fire button, the laser beam will keep firing, even if you roll. So just keep your finger on the button as long as you're there.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I was playing with my FailShep and I got to the end of Tuchanka. Mordin was dead, so it was Padok Wiks who got murdered in cold blood. I still had to put the game down because I felt like such a monster.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

EDIT: I found a way through. The beam goes whatever direction you're moving when it starts. I would get close to one side, move toward that end to get the beam to move that way and immediately run back the other direction and fire. The beam always continued moving away from me. What an ugly episode.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 2, 2012

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got stuck there for a little while because I was moving when the beam began to fire. If you stay perfectly still until the beam hits the ground and starts coming toward you, then move, the beam won't track. If you're moving when the beam hasn't even fully been fired yet, the beam will track you and hit you nearly any time.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Calypso Hippo posted:

If you stand still and fire your laser targets much quicker than if you are moving.
It took me like eight deaths before I realized this. I wanted to die.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

rotinaj posted:

I got stuck there for a little while because I was moving when the beam began to fire. If you stay perfectly still until the beam hits the ground and starts coming toward you, then move, the beam won't track. If you're moving when the beam hasn't even fully been fired yet, the beam will track you and hit you nearly any time.

I think if you've played a character action game like God of War or a game like Dark Souls you'd latch onto this idea quicker. I picked up on it pretty quickly, but only because I'd been playing a bunch of games lately where that's the standard pattern for every enemies attack.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Question regarding Eve.

What do I need to do in ME2 to save her, can it just be the genophage data or do I need the assistant as well.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Alteisen posted:

Question regarding Eve.

What do I need to do in ME2 to save her, can it just be the genophage data or do I need the assistant as well.

just the former. The latter doesn't come into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

Holy crap, the paragon/renegade interrupts in this game really take it different directions from where the scene would normally go. Aside from big ones like keeping Sarmara from offing herself, there's one after Thessia, when you go to talk to Liara in her carbin. She starts blaming herself for everything and if you take the paragon interrupt, you give her a pep talk about how much she's done for her people and you get Liara super-proactive. If you don't take the interrupt, she just lays on the bed and starts crying while Shepard walks away and looks like she feels like a piece of poo poo.

Yes, but on the other hand, there's that one where you're talking to the Dalatrass where if you take the renegade interrupt you slam your hands on the table and then the conversation continues as normal. I actually ended up reloading a previous save because I thought I had hit the button too late and missed that one.

• Locked thread