Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Critical posted:

Single Segment is too dependent upon luck in the Thunder Plains. One bad grouping that ambushes and he's dead.

If you're doing a speedrun live, then having to go back to a recent save is considered okay, right? I mean, your final time isn't going to be as good, but in a game like FFX it's still better than starting over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

furry drum circle posted:

The tentative schedule to Summer Games Done Quick (May 24-28) has been posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dC0zVGlkcFNTZnI5RUJpM19Vdy1QckE#gid=0

The real question here is how many possible Lunk's do we have on that list?

Also sad to see no funkdoc :( I think he said he had graduation or something not as important as our entertainment.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

why wouldn't it get accepted?

fleshweasel posted:

I guess running DOS games to their standards is a pain in the rear end. Like you might have to get an old PC that runs DOS and connect the video out to a capture card. No DOSBox allowed :tinfoil:

Pretty much this. Official emulators are allowed, but there's no official emulated release of SS1, and the "official" windows DOS emulator (NTVDM) is a total shitheap and doesn't run System Shock anyways. I do not care enough about having a run published on SDA to set up a DOS or Win98 machine to play System Shock on.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I thought they were considering allowing DOSBox runs at some point recently. I don't know what came of those discussions, though.

Last I heard the decision was "dosbox is allowed, but only if it's an official release packaged with dosbox, and the runner has to submit footage of themselves playing it so we know they haven't replaced the one it was packaged with with a rerecording version", but that was a while ago and they may have come up with something slightly less insane since then.

Ramadu posted:

What on earth do they need to verify it? I don't get that.

To ensure a delay of at least six months between submission and publication ensure that the runner wasn't cheating by using an emulator.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicFrog posted:

the "official" windows DOS emulator (NTVDM) is a total shitheap

Not true. You're forgetting that the NTVDM is not meant to run things that didn't hew close enough to the official MSDOS apis and all that, and is primarily meant for executing Windows 3.1 applications, in a virtual 16 bit enviroment.

It was not designed to support the ways DOS games used and abused hardware to run.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Are there any more recent 100% majora's mask runs than what's up on SDA? Since that one was uploaded in 2005, I'm just curious as to how a 100% run would work with all the recent tricks.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

FFVIII is a beautiful game to break. I suspect he will kill a few fish on the first beach and proceed to make the game a battle of menu surfing. The story will make no sense and many bosses will get killed in one round. The game hands you 100 waters to junction to strength or magic off the bat. Each GF's card gets modded into some very nice items and magic by extension. Drawing is for squares.

And with the gameplay out of the way you can sit back and "enjoy" the "story."

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 29, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I imported a pocketstation for FF8 and it made the game so loving easy. I wish it didn't get stolen cause I'd love to play FF8 like that again.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ToxicFrog posted:

Last I heard the decision was "dosbox is allowed, but only if it's an official release packaged with dosbox, and the runner has to submit footage of themselves playing it so we know they haven't replaced the one it was packaged with with a rerecording version", but that was a while ago and they may have come up with something slightly less insane since then.

Last I checked it's been relaxed to "must be an official rerelease". So a fair bit easier.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Not true. You're forgetting that the NTVDM is not meant to run things that didn't hew close enough to the official MSDOS apis and all that, and is primarily meant for executing Windows 3.1 applications, in a virtual 16 bit enviroment.

It was not designed to support the ways DOS games used and abused hardware to run.

Even for those purposes it's pretty bad - no peripheral or block device emulation (except for really bad SoundBlaster emulation in the XP version), no speed/timing correction (hope you don't want to run an app that talks to an external device and waits for a reply, it'll time out instantly), unreliable DPMI implementation, no 64-bit support. It was excusably bad in the NT 3.x days when it was the only thing going, but MS basically did nothing to improve it and gave up entirely post-XP.

That said, for the purpose of running games, which is rather the point of this thread, it is and always has been a total shitheap, which is problematic because it's the closest thing there is to an "official" DOS emulator per SDA rules.

HKR posted:

I imported a pocketstation for FF8 and it made the game so loving easy. I wish it didn't get stolen cause I'd love to play FF8 like that again.

The PC version of FF8 came with a PocketStation emulator, you could always play that version. :v:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 31, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

ToxicFrog posted:

Even for those purposes it's pretty bad - no peripheral or block device emulation (except for really bad SoundBlaster emulation in the XP version), no speed/timing correction (hope you don't want to run an app that talks to an external device and waits for a reply, it'll time out instantly), unreliable DPMI implementation, no 64-bit support. It was excusably bad in the NT 3.x days when it was the only thing going, but MS basically did nothing to improve it and gave up entirely post-XP.

That said, for the purpose of running games, which is rather the point of this thread, it is and always has been a total shitheap, which is problematic because it's the closest thing there is to an "official" DOS emulator per SDA rules.

The PC version of FF8 came with a PocketStation emulator, you could always play that version. :v:

oh poo poo, I did not know this

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
http://speeddemosarchive.com/

New update! Starring yours truly!!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/

New update! Starring yours truly!!

This is majestic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hahaha, it's loving 8 gigs, too.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Kyrosiris posted:

Hahaha, it's loving 8 gigs, too.

To me the best part is at the very beginning when I turn the text speed to max and set the music volume to zero. I doubt anyone really caught it during my stream since I was in Skype and had my own music playing the whole time. Since SDA just has the capture, the whole run is 6 hours of footsteps, the Vwoop from Heal, and dull thuds from Wind Cutter hitting me and my staff connecting with enemies, all to a completely silent background. Even the credits are silent. It's so utterly soulless. It's an 8 gigabyte 6 hour pile of anti-joy, and I love the idea of innocent people downloading it expecting to watch it through.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well I think it's fair to say that you've won April Fools Day. Good job, sir.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The longest speedrun I've tried to watch is Chrono Cross which is over 6 hours. I downloaded the first half and watched it spread over three days and still couldn't finish it. I like the game but it gets really repetitive, especially since it's an RPG where literally half the game is cycling through dialogue boxes and menus. I can't even imagine the amount of time it takes to record something like that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kyrosiris posted:

Well I think it's fair to say that you've won April Fools Day. Good job, sir.

The harvest moon run is also amazing. A definite must watch.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Former Human posted:

The longest speedrun I've tried to watch is Chrono Cross which is over 6 hours. I downloaded the first half and watched it spread over three days and still couldn't finish it. I like the game but it gets really repetitive, especially since it's an RPG where literally half the game is cycling through dialogue boxes and menus. I can't even imagine the amount of time it takes to record something like that.

You should have listened to it with the commentary track enabled, it becomes very interesting then.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Dr. Stab posted:

The harvest moon run is also amazing. A definite must watch.

Yess! When Ani first described that run to me when we were discussing April Fool's submissions, I thought it was hilarious. The ending is even better than I imagined, with all the townsfolk awkwardly trying to say nice things about his life.

Over in the general gaming april fool's thread, someone posted this TAS of Twilight Princess, which is great as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zif-0RxXNhM

Kind of relevant to joke runs, I got Typing of the Dead in the mail yesterday and am already addicted to it. Mike is just about convinced that it should go on the main SGDQ schedule and I'm going to pound out the route and execution way beyond what he probably expects out of a 'gimmick' run.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kind of relevant to joke runs, I got Typing of the Dead in the mail yesterday and am already addicted to it. Mike is just about convinced that it should go on the main SGDQ schedule and I'm going to pound out the route and execution way beyond what he probably expects out of a 'gimmick' run.

Typing of the Dead rules and I am looking forward to this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There's a route to be planned in typing of the dead?

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Dr. Stab posted:

There's a route to be planned in typing of the dead?

Yes, to my surprise it's actually really complex. There are branching paths, cutscene skips, damage to save time, RNG manipulation, and some other, more meta gameplay elements that save time. I'll dump a writeup when I'm convinced it's optimized since there seems to be a lot of interest in the run, on here and on SDA.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Yes, to my surprise it's actually really complex. There are branching paths, cutscene skips, damage to save time, RNG manipulation, and some other, more meta gameplay elements that save time. I'll dump a writeup when I'm convinced it's optimized since there seems to be a lot of interest in the run, on here and on SDA.

I've been playing Typing of the Dead since you announced the potential run, and yeah, it's amazing. I wish I could challenge you to a race or something, but there's no way. Actually I've owned the game since I was a kid.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's the twofold interest response of being a goofy run and being one of your runs. Also if you stream practice of this game you have to let us know, because I wanna see that poo poo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think the best part is that as added practice, peaches_ could talk on the stream chat while playing the game.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
He could just read the text and that would be entertaining. I believe when I played, I saw the line "My dad throws bottles at me."

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Don't forget to watch this week's http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak , today's game of the week is Final Fantasy 7, with guests Puwexil and GarlandtheGreat. It starts at 6pm central, or about 15 minutes from now.

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 1, 2012

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Don't forget to watch this week's http://www.twitch.tv/thesundaysequencebreak , today's game of the week is Final Fantasy 7, with guests Puwexil and GarlandtheGreat. It starts at 6pm central, or about 15 minutes from now.

I see what you guys did here.

baram. fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 2, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Oh, you devil! These are some pretty great highlights from the featured FF7 run. :golfclap:

Edit: Incase people don't recognize the game from the name alone:

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 2, 2012

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a list of the gimmick tases that went up today?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc Back on the CV3 Grant Grind after a hiatus.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

iastudent posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc Back on the CV3 Grant Grind after a hiatus.

This but for tonight!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Lord Chumley posted:

This but for tonight!

Change of pace, he's practicing Cutthroat Island now.

If it's more CV you're needing though, hop over to http://www.twitch.tv/klaige

Fellow Iowan speedrunner trying to improve his Bloodlines Morris Mode Run.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
SDA is finally getting back to frequent updates it seems, at least for the month of April though I really hope it just continues like this for awhile. More frequent, smaller updates on a weekly basis is something I haven't seen in years, like since the age of Radix. Contra Rebirth and Megaman X today.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Anyone ever wondered what Siglemic's hands looked like when playing SM64?

I sure haven't!
http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Anyone ever wondered what Siglemic's hands looked like when playing SM64?

I sure haven't!
http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic

How long until we get donations for shirtless siglemic?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

apophenium posted:

How long until we get donations for shirtless siglemic?

Probably not until the Sig is a girl joke dies :v:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
Funkdoc playin Cutthroat Island tonight!

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Make sure you guys look out for loving STRATEGY ROBBERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emH4dN_6hA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Heran Bago posted:

Make sure you guys look out for loving STRATEGY ROBBERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emH4dN_6hA

There isn't a :psyduck: big enough for that.

• Locked thread