Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jibo posted:

I'm looking to buy a papasan in the next week or so. Is there such a thing as an especially good one, or should I just wander into Pier 1 and get whatever they have?

There are definitely good ones, but I just want you to know that if you have any pets of any type they will claim it as their own. Dogs, cats, ferrets, small bears, all love papasans. Then it will be filled with hair. And while they are initially the most comfortable thing to turn into a bowl/nest and sleep in like a wicker womb, you will never be able to stand up straight again afterwards.

Pro-tip: zip tie the thing into a "chair" position if it keeps rotating awkwardly on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good lap-desk?

I want to play computer games on my tv using a wireless keyboard/mouse, but I need a decent way to make this work.

Extra points if I can use my laptop on the desk too if I want to use my laptop at the couch while my wife watches tv.

I need it in anticipation of Diablo 3.

NorskHotDog has a new favorite as of 04:16 on Mar 31, 2012

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I have a new car and need a new keyring to go with it.

Something nicer than one of these vv

Something that will make sure I get picked by the hottest person in the room at any key party I go to.

Something less than $20.

Any suggestions? (It's a bmw, so bmw branded ones are out)

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I'm shopping for a external hard drive for backing up my computer. After asking a few of my coworkers/friends I am still suggestionless. Shopping for myself I've found this one, but I don't know if that's a good price or not because I have never bought one of these before. Any suggestions, insight, or help?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Earth posted:

I'm shopping for a external hard drive for backing up my computer. After asking a few of my coworkers/friends I am still suggestionless. Shopping for myself I've found this one, but I don't know if that's a good price or not because I have never bought one of these before. Any suggestions, insight, or help?

The Hardware short question megathread might be able to accommodate your question a bit better.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Etrips posted:

The Hardware short question megathread might be able to accommodate your question a bit better.

Thanks, I went over there to ask.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on luggage cases? Going on vacation for about 2 weeks and don't have anything!

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
Are we talking carry on luggage or larger? For carry on size I just got this and have been pretty happy with it. Don't ask me why it's branded with the American Airlines logo though.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

ManPortable posted:

Are we talking carry on luggage or larger? For carry on size I just got this and have been pretty happy with it. Don't ask me why it's branded with the American Airlines logo though.

Actual luggage.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Etrips posted:

Any recommendations on luggage cases? Going on vacation for about 2 weeks and don't have anything!
What is your budget? TravelPro Crew luggage is awesome but can be pretty spendy. The one I have is the max carryon size and can fit stuff for 2 weeks vacation.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I was going to suggest Travelpro too. I have this one and I've managed to fit a month's worth of clothes in it.

e. I did have the opportunity to do laundry though, so YMMV

An observer has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Apr 2, 2012

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Captain Postal posted:

I have a new car and need a new keyring to go with it.

Something nicer than one of these vv

Something that will make sure I get picked by the hottest person in the room at any key party I go to.

Something less than $20.

Any suggestions? (It's a bmw, so bmw branded ones are out)

:v:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

An observer posted:

I was going to suggest Travelpro too. I have this one and I've managed to fit a month's worth of clothes in it.

e. I did have the opportunity to do laundry though, so YMMV

Awesome, I'll check it out.

The Light Eternal posted:

What is your budget? TravelPro Crew luggage is awesome but can be pretty spendy. The one I have is the max carryon size and can fit stuff for 2 weeks vacation.

Which model do you have?

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
Can anyone recommend a good free software for up/down scaling jpegs and other picture files? It's tough to find many good 1920x1080 wallpapers. :smith:

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

Etrips posted:

Awesome, I'll check it out.

Which model do you have?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003H4Q078?qid=1333341043&sr=8-1

I have the green one. You can take the suit thing out for extra room.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

oddspelling posted:

Can anyone recommend a good free software for up/down scaling jpegs and other picture files? It's tough to find many good 1920x1080 wallpapers. :smith:
interfacelift.com has great wallpapers, many in 1080p.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Gimp can scale pretty easily. Interfacelift also has some huge resolution wallpapers. Just download those and choose stretch when setting your wallpaper.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

oddspelling posted:

You can also set Google Images to search for images that are exactly 1920x1080. Just type in 'abstract' or 'nature' or whatever tag you'd click on a wallpaper site, and you get a million thumbnails.

As far as good software, someone already mentioned Gimp, which should be fine.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

NorskHotDog posted:

Can anyone recommend a good lap-desk?

I want to play computer games on my tv using a wireless keyboard/mouse, but I need a decent way to make this work.

Extra points if I can use my laptop on the desk too if I want to use my laptop at the couch while my wife watches tv.

I need it in anticipation of Diablo 3.

I too am looking for a good lap-desk. I spend a lot of time with my computer in my lap and I don't want the heat to kill my sperm or whatever happens.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I would like to dis-recommend an Android tablet, the Archos 101 G9 "Turbo". I got it as part of a course I'm taking and holy hell is it awful. Crashes constantly, terrible battery, weird UI, the auto correct is terrible and half the time it lags behind my moderate typing speed. Just don't. I also have a first Gen iPad and it blows this piece outta the water.

I have no idea what "Turbo" is supposed to mean, unless that's the name of the goat this thing was designed to blow.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
I'm looking for about five folding chairs. They need to have a cushion of some kind, and I'd prefer to get them for ~$30 or less. There's plenty of sites out there that offer discount folding chairs, but they all seem kinda shady. Has anyone dealt with one of the sites? I live in Seattle, if anyone knows a local seller.

EDIT: Stacking chairs are also quite okay.

Thesoro has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Apr 2, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Moot . posted:

I would like to dis-recommend an Android tablet, the Archos 101 G9 "Turbo". I got it as part of a course I'm taking and holy hell is it awful. Crashes constantly, terrible battery, weird UI, the auto correct is terrible and half the time it lags behind my moderate typing speed. Just don't. I also have a first Gen iPad and it blows this piece outta the water.

I have no idea what "Turbo" is supposed to mean, unless that's the name of the goat this thing was designed to blow.
As with CD players and MP3 players and every piece of technology since, cheap electronics are cheap.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Thesoro posted:

I'm looking for about five folding chairs. They need to have a cushion of some kind, and I'd prefer to get them for ~$30 or less. There's plenty of sites out there that offer discount folding chairs, but they all seem kinda shady. Has anyone dealt with one of the sites? I live in Seattle, if anyone knows a local seller.

EDIT: Stacking chairs are also quite okay.

You can get basic metal folding chairs with the vinyl pads at Staples for $25, or I think $80 for four.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I need a recommendation for a good body wash. I bought some Dr. Bronners and now my back is broken out like I'm a teenager again. So I guess something gentler? That smells good?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I like Olay body wash. The shea butter kind in the yellow bottle is nice. Watch out for the olay body wash in the purple bottles, though, unless you like body glitter.

kyacker
Nov 17, 2003

ll klye baker. he is wife.

The Light Eternal posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003H4Q078?qid=1333341043&sr=8-1

I have the green one. You can take the suit thing out for extra room.

If you have to travel with suits and don't ever want to check bags, this is the best case for you: http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Carry-On-Rolling-Garment-Size/dp/B003H4Q0A0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1333648446&sr=8-4
I can fit 3 suits 2 pair of pants, and 3 shirts plus underwear and undershirts socks, etc in there.
Victorinox makes a good one as well but it's 2x as much and does the same job. The only bitch I have about it is the zipper pulls have broken, I replaced them with rings anyway which makes zipping much easier.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Pron on VHS posted:

I too am looking for a good lap-desk. I spend a lot of time with my computer in my lap and I don't want the heat to kill my sperm or whatever happens.

I have the ChillDesk CD-200 and it's been working great. The first I got was defective (the fan hit the case, producing a tapping sound) and they replaced it within five days. Quiet and effective, I'm pretty sure my old laptop would have died already if not for this.

syrairc
Sep 13, 2006
wait what
Any recommendations for vacuums? I have a one bedroom apartment that is roughly half carpet, so something small is what I'm after. Preferably cordless. Bagless is a must. <$200 would be fantastic, but not vital. Have tried the little rechargeable Shark "vacuums" and found them to be terrible and short-lived.

I was looking at the Dyson DC35 but it's seriously $349. This is a lot of money for something I will use for 15 minutes once a week. On the other hand, the form factor is exactly what I'm looking for, and a wall mount charging base is fantastic. Does anyone know of any reasonable priced equivalents?

On the other hand, if someone can tell me (from personal experience) that the DC35 is fantastic and reliable and everything I could ever want in a tiny vacuum, I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

Alien Teacher
Mar 1, 2004
It's all ok as long as you've pooped your pants less than your friends.
syrairc, I can attest that it's pretty well worth the price. If you have a larger living area I'd get an upright version but for my two bedroom apt (750 sq ft) it works wonders.
The little motorized head is easy to disassemble so when it gets loaded with hair (human female, dog, cat) it's easy to take out and clean.
I would suggest waiting for it to go on sale at target. I got mine for significantly less by doing this.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

syrairc posted:

Any recommendations for vacuums? I have a one bedroom apartment that is roughly half carpet, so something small is what I'm after. Preferably cordless. Bagless is a must. <$200 would be fantastic, but not vital. Have tried the little rechargeable Shark "vacuums" and found them to be terrible and short-lived.

I was looking at the Dyson DC35 but it's seriously $349. This is a lot of money for something I will use for 15 minutes once a week. On the other hand, the form factor is exactly what I'm looking for, and a wall mount charging base is fantastic. Does anyone know of any reasonable priced equivalents?

On the other hand, if someone can tell me (from personal experience) that the DC35 is fantastic and reliable and everything I could ever want in a tiny vacuum, I'll probably end up getting it anyway.

Man, I just recently got a vacuum for my own place (basement apartment) that fits your criteria perfectly. I got it from Costco in Canada. It's called the Ergorapido Ultra by Electrolux. I see that it's $90 on Amazon.

Dudebro has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Apr 8, 2012

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
Does anyone have a suggestion for a blanket that is breathable but gives a bundled-in-for-the-winter feel? I sweat like some kind of animal that sweats a lot, but like that surrounded/bundled-up feel. :)

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a blanket that is breathable but gives a bundled-in-for-the-winter feel? I sweat like some kind of animal that sweats a lot, but like that surrounded/bundled-up feel. :)

I can't sleep without a blanket of somesort, even in Texas summer. I've found that the kind of blankets they have in hospitals are best. Even though I work at a hospital and could probably just take some, its kinda gross. I found similar ones at Target.

http://www.target.com/p/Target-Home-Egyptian-Cotton-Blanket/-/A-13325732

This is what they have now, when I bought it it was 40 dollars and kind of a dull gold color. It works good with layering blankets too. So in the winter I have a quilt that I put over it but it still keeps me from getting too hot. I'm sure you could something similar elsewhere in other designs or for less money, the one I got from Target has been fine for me for 2 years though.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alien Teacher posted:

syrairc, I can attest that it's pretty well worth the price. If you have a larger living area I'd get an upright version but for my two bedroom apt (750 sq ft) it works wonders.
I can also vouch for the quality of a Dyson vacuum. Not only do they work really well, but they don't need bags and you can just was the filter (screw those companies that make you buy over-priced bags and replacement filters). The build quality on a Dyson is also damned good.

It might seem like you're paying a lot from the get-go, but the durability, lack of bags and replacement filters means you'll save money in the long term.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
You can look into the Hoover Linx series, available either as a cordless/corded stick vacuum, or cordless handheld in the $80~140 range: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hoover+linx&sprefix=hoover%2Caps%2C223

It looks pretty well designed and seems to be well received by reviewers. Most importantly, it has a lithium ion battery, which means it'll hold a charge better over time.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

oddspelling posted:

If you don't want to download any huge programs, I use image re-sizer for windows all the time for images I find that are huge. It's pretty handy for scaling down images for emails too. Once installed it's just a right-click on the image type program and this pops up:

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I'm looking for a burr style coffee grinder. I'm not sure what to get. I see some on Amazon that are $400, some $100, most or all with 4-5 star reviews. I'd like to spend somewhere in the $100-200 range, but can be convinced otherwise if a good case is made for an expensive one. I'm looking for one that's electric, fairly maintenance-free, and I really don't need one that has a spot for a coffee pot. I'm using the ground up beans in the AeroPress.

GuitarBizarre
Jan 21, 2012

by T. Couchfucker

oddspelling posted:

It is? drat. Someone better tell wallbase...they only have 85,000.

http://wallbase.cc/search

You can search by "exact resolution" or "at least" resolution. You can also specify individual aspect ratios.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It's also worth noting that you can just go to Google and do a GIS for whatever subject matter you might want and set the resolution to 1920 x 1080. Here's one for Batman.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Dudebro posted:

I'm looking for a burr style coffee grinder. I'm not sure what to get. I see some on Amazon that are $400, some $100, most or all with 4-5 star reviews. I'd like to spend somewhere in the $100-200 range, but can be convinced otherwise if a good case is made for an expensive one. I'm looking for one that's electric, fairly maintenance-free, and I really don't need one that has a spot for a coffee pot. I'm using the ground up beans in the AeroPress.

Have you checked out the Coffee thread? They might be able to better answer your question there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuitarBizarre
Jan 21, 2012

by T. Couchfucker

Jibo posted:

It's also worth noting that you can just go to Google and do a GIS for whatever subject matter you might want and set the resolution to 1920 x 1080. Here's one for Batman.

I feel that wallbase is better for quality of wallpapers.

For example, searching "Guitar" at 1920x1080 brings up a lot of watermarked stock images. The wallbase search is...well, nothing but wallpapers

• Locked thread