Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I had a friend that was such a connoiseur of peeps that he would buy a shitload and age them like six months before eating them. That guy loved his peeps. RIP Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

lohli posted:

You'll need to make a wall that is at least 3 blocks wide and high to keep them in, so you're better off actually making your pen a pit, this is pretty much the only way I've seen them absolutely stay in.

Huh. OK, I can do that. Is it safe to make a ladder down into the pit, or can they climb ladders too and escape?

Edit: Will the pit thing work for other animals too? I haven't penned in anything besides sheep recently but I remember everything else tending to make a break for it too.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Keep in mind that if you dig down two blocks and then put a fence on top of that, there's a small "ledge" next to the fence where the sheep (and you) can hang on and eventually get out. You'll need the pit itself to be at least three blocks deep, and preferably surrounded by a full block instead of fences.

As far as I know, animals don't climb ladders, so that should be fine.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Sounds like I'll be doing some remodeling work on my farm tomorrow. Thanks very much for the help, guys.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CaptainCaveman posted:

In multiplayer, is there any way to keep sheep in a pen? Should I be building my sheep pen out of stone or some other material instead of fences?

I've tried building the pen two and three fences high, tried putting a roof on it, and tried building a second fence around the pen a block away to catch errant sheep. They still continue to teleport to the top of the fence or through it and wander away.

This is on Minecraft 1.2.4.
Yeah I'm having the same problem, and it is just frustrating as hell. A pen of one sheep of every color just 'leaks', but usually only when I'm away or not looking.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah I'm having the same problem, and it is just frustrating as hell. A pen of one sheep of every color just 'leaks', but usually only when I'm away or not looking.

It probably happens when the chunk is unloaded/reloaded to memory, so a sheep caught in an in-between state might get interpreted as being on the other side due to rounding errors.

The solution, as stated, is to build sufficiently thick walls. It also helps if the closure is spacious enough that the animals aren't constantly bumping each other against the walls.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Alternative option: Lava moats. Let the rest of them know that escape attempts will not be tolerated...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just built my sheep pen down at bedrock in an isolated chamber that doubles as a strip mine. You'd think they would wander all over the place but instead they stay bunched up at the door.

I'm noticing that random chunks of wool are scattered across the mine. Do sheep shed wool on their own now?

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Internet Kraken posted:

I just built my sheep pen down at bedrock in an isolated chamber that doubles as a strip mine. You'd think they would wander all over the place but instead they stay bunched up at the door.

I'm noticing that random chunks of wool are scattered across the mine. Do sheep shed wool on their own now?

Mobs occasionally push eachother into walls, smothering eachother.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Internet Kraken posted:

What a strange, psychotic place to put a sheep pen.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Hobo By Design posted:

That's one hell of a mental image, thanks.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Hobo By Design posted:

I've only noticed this with chickens, really. I'm pretty sure I saw a patch note somewhere saying this was fixed, but back when it was a problem I worked around it by just lining my chicken coops with glass, since nothing suffocates in transparent blocks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

a couple hundred pages back people were refining their chicken smothering egg harvesting devices

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What a strange, psychotic place to put a sheep pen.

It's the safest place for them. There's no room for them in my actual house and if I just built a pen on the surface someone would come along and stab all the sheep/douse them in lava. So making a huge pen for them deep below the surface means they only die when I accidentally punch a hole in the floor (the farm is located over a magma pool due to poor planning) or a creeper spawns and I don't notice.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Spoggerific posted:

I've only noticed this with chickens, really. I'm pretty sure I saw a patch note somewhere saying this was fixed, but back when it was a problem I worked around it by just lining my chicken coops with glass, since nothing suffocates in transparent blocks.

It's a lot less common now that animals don't hump walls as much, but it happens particularly with a large number of mobs or occasionally water along the side of an enclosure. I had a cow that tended to jump into walls after trying to jump out of 1-deep water, but that was 1.8 and I don't know if it has been fixed. In multiplayer lag can sometimes do weird things to animal movement, too. I had a mooshroom trapped by ice (a UFO tractor beam) escape by slowly (over days) clipping through it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hadlock posted:

a couple hundred pages back people were refining their chicken smothering egg harvesting devices

RIP Automatic chicken farms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHPCGOFYDbY

E: Updated sound.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 2, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

It still happens occasionally. Or do they just spawn in transparent blocks sometimes? I've seen chickens in leaves in the latest patch. It's relatively common in the jungle.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Spoggerific posted:

Keep in mind that if you dig down two blocks and then put a fence on top of that, there's a small "ledge" next to the fence where the sheep (and you) can hang on and eventually get out. You'll need the pit itself to be at least three blocks deep, and preferably surrounded by a full block instead of fences.

As far as I know, animals don't climb ladders, so that should be fine.

Pigs can. Not sure about sheeps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

God, I hope elevators are a thing in 1.3 or something. That'd be so useful.

It'd be even better if there was some sort of update that allowed for a grid of blocks to be moved, so you could have a 3x3 elevator. I know this is possible because of the Airship mod. Come on, Jeb, you can do it!

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

God, I hope elevators are a thing in 1.3 or something. That'd be so useful.

It'd be even better if there was some sort of update that allowed for a grid of blocks to be moved, so you could have a 3x3 elevator. I know this is possible because of the Airship mod. Come on, Jeb, you can do it!
It should be noted that to rig up a down elevator with sticky pistons, the size of the Redstone circuit grows exponentially with the depth of the elevator. Without loading an MCEdit schematic, even a computer science enthusiast like me throws up his hands at dicking with Redstone like that. There definitely needs to be an AND/OR/NOT block, at least.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Danzou posted:

It should be noted that to rig up a down elevator with sticky pistons, the size of the Redstone circuit grows exponentially with the depth of the elevator. Without loading an MCEdit schematic, even a computer science enthusiast like me throws up his hands at dicking with Redstone like that. There definitely needs to be an AND/OR/NOT block, at least.

Well, that's just my point... I'm sure the redstone enthusiasts (and geniuses) have already figured this out, but I'm referring to a simpler solution that would be done in the actual game's code... like a new block called 'lift-stone' or something. Whether it's craftable, or only available in the nether/end/deep below the ocean, it would have the specific ability to move along a redstone line, once that line is activated.

Or, new railings that go up and down, that can be places on the sides of blocks. Railing lift tiles? I don't know. Anything, really.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So, I'm going to be starting up a succession-style Minecraft Let's Play with the Technic pack, where players take 1-2 day turns, then upload the map and a video/text & screenshot account of their turn for the next dude. Would that be interesting to anyone here?

Syenite fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 2, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I'm pretty new to Minecraft (as of 1.2.3) and I gotta say it took me by surprise. There's a lot more 'game' to it than I thought. I might be addicted.

Anyone know what the deal is with the Pocket Edition? Have they laid out any kind of roadmap or plan it get it up to speed with the full release? I'd love to be able to connect to my Minecraft server from my iPhone/iPad.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Danzou posted:

You could use a zipper elevator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrPlTYW-jyc

Redstone growth is linear and it's pretty compact overall. You just need a LOT of pistons.

edit: Oh, a DOWN elevator, sorry. I wonder if the zipper could be done in reverse?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 2, 2012

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, that's just my point... I'm sure the redstone enthusiasts (and geniuses) have already figured this out, but I'm referring to a simpler solution that would be done in the actual game's code... like a new block called 'lift-stone' or something. Whether it's craftable, or only available in the nether/end/deep below the ocean, it would have the specific ability to move along a redstone line, once that line is activated.
This is a great example of a new mineral that can only be found above a certain height level. Like, you need to search the wilderness for a mountain with a y above 150, then go looking through the space. Floatstone. Redstone makes it go straight up or down, taking any blocks directly to the side of it up or down with it. You could make wider/bigger elevators by putting a new floatstone block every couple of blocks along an elevator. I hate having ideas in this game because I have no idea how to mod :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shukaro posted:

So, I'm going to be starting up a succession-style Minecraft Let's Play with the Technic pack, where players take 1-2 day turns, then upload map and a video/text & screenshot account of their turn for the next dude. Would that be interesting to anyone here?

That would probably be interesting. I recall goons doing something similar to this before. I'd volunteer but I'm completely unfamiliar with the technic pack. It could be interesting to read about though.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
The next round of Ultra Hardcore is about to start, so I'm going to try streaming again. I don't promise to be entertaining because I'm going to be concentrating on not-dying, but I'll try to talk to the chat as I can.

Click Here to watch the saved stream; I'm dead though so... theres that.

Rack fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 2, 2012

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rack posted:

The next round of Ultra Hardcore is about to start, so I'm going to try streaming again. I don't promise to be entertaining because I'm going to be concentrating on not-dying, but I'll try to talk to the chat as I can.

Click Here to watch, I'll remove the link when I'm done.

Looks like Twitch is having issues, it's throwing 403 Forbidden.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
403 Forbidden...

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
That's cause Twitch is misspelled in the link.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Disappointing Pie posted:

Still showing a green screen for me though, how odd.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
http://www.twitch.tv/AmpRack

Working great for me, watching him slaughter pigs currently.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Shukaro posted:

Still showing a green screen for me though, how odd.

Turns out I just had to disable hardware acceleration for the Flash player. :)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Does anyone else feel like infinite terrain was a really bad decision? Biomes are always going to be an incomprehensible mess with no rhyme or reason because they can't be based on actual geography. I'd like to see maps that look more like this

than

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Disappointing Pie posted:

:doh: I should have caught that, sorry.

Anyway, I'm dead now. I got too greedy; I should have gone back up to get more apples, but instead I had to clear out those creepers and get that last piece of gold. Now I know better.

I've thought about recording video as a spectator-ghost, but I don't think I can do it in a "fair" way. That is, I don't want to record and accidentally give away anyone's position to any active player that might be watching. Giving away my own location is one thing, but not someone else.

Rack fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 2, 2012

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

7c Nickel posted:

Does anyone else feel like infinite terrain was a really bad decision? Biomes are always going to be an incomprehensible mess with no rhyme or reason because they can't be based on actual geography. I'd like to see maps that look more like this

than

I've said it before, we've got to import Civilization terrain generators into Minecraft.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

I've said it before, we've got to import Civilization terrain generators into Minecraft.

The guy who made the Perfect World 2 map script really needs to mod Minecraft.

That script was insane in the amount of sheer detail that went into terrain generation. It basically ran routines that simulated the creation of the earth from the beginning and generated heightmaps based on those calculations, then converted those heightmaps into Civ IV maps. The results were extremely realistic and believable worlds. You got nice looking coastlines, a realistic gradient of biomes, and it simulated stuff like rain shadows. I think something like that could fit in nicely with minecraft.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 2, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Phobophilia posted:

Civ was the first thing I thought too when I saw the map examples. The thing is, most exploration is done on foot, so the mega-continent thing works best.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

7c Nickel posted:

than

At the very least I wish biome placement was a little less random. I kinda hate it when I find a swamp within spitting distance of a desert, or a rainforest across the street from frozen tundra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A pangea continent with great lakes scattered throughout it would probably work best. Exploring oceans is boring as gently caress.