Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only concern I have with it is the wildly varying torque ratings given for the 3/8 pro model. Seems like depending on where you look, it could be rated for anything between 125 and 400 ft lb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only concern I have with it is the wildly varying torque ratings given for the 3/8 pro model. Seems like depending on where you look, it could be rated for anything between 125 and 400 ft lb.

They have lifetime replacement for the pro model so I figure I'll just run the gun at full speed and see if it breaks.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What's a good small and cheap compressor/powered tire pump when you only need to fill tires, not run tools? All the gas stations by me have that "pay 75 cents for 2 minutes of air" machine.

blargle fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 27, 2012

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
You can pick up pumps that run off of cigarette lighter adapters in cars, which are capable of doing pretty well any tire you're likely to encounter. They can be had for cheap at places that sell camping/sporting goods, or automotive stuff. Best part about those is you can contact them to batteries and run them as well. Works great when you need to pump up the lawnmower tires.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

blargle posted:

What's a good small and cheap compressor/powered tire pump when you only need to fill tires, not run tools? All the gas stations by me have that "pay 75 cents for 2 minutes of air" machine.

The little $15 one you can get at any auto parts store or the automotive section on any department store will be a real piece of poo poo and break right away, but so will the $45 piece of poo poo in the fancy packaging right beside it, which has an identical pump. I keep one in each of my cars. Don't trust the air guage on it to be accurate, though.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

grover posted:

The little $15 one you can get at any auto parts store or the automotive section on any department store will be a real piece of poo poo and break right away, but so will the $45 piece of poo poo in the fancy packaging right beside it, which has an identical pump. I keep one in each of my cars. Don't trust the air guage on it to be accurate, though.

I've had a Viair 70P for a couple of years, and it's definitely higher quality than most: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012WHBSO. Accurate gauge on it too.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Harbor Freight has a model that they usually sell for 25. I've had a few 12V pumps and this one pumps as fast as just about any. Gauge is accurate enough.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

PitViper posted:

is the HF 3/4" breaker bar any good? I snapped my Craftsman 1/2", and while I'm getting it replaced, I think I should step up to a 3/4" drive and sockets for axle nuts. I normally have a 4' cheater pipe for stubborn stuff, which is how the 1/2" met its demise.

I have both the 1/2 and 3/8. I break sockets before I break the bar. So yes, its worth it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My HF lightweight aluminum racing jacked failed on me. Started pissing hydraulic fluid. :( Traded up to the 2 ton (had the 3,000 lb one before) and hoping it does better.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

DreamOn13 posted:

My HF lightweight aluminum racing jacked failed on me. Started pissing hydraulic fluid. :( Traded up to the 2 ton (had the 3,000 lb one before) and hoping it does better.

This is the first I have ever heard of one failing :ohdear: How long did you have it? Where is it leaking from? Did they replace it under warranty?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

This is the first I have ever heard of one failing :ohdear: How long did you have it? Where is it leaking from? Did they replace it under warranty?

Oh, I've had mine blow a seal too. Just didn't give a gently caress and got a new one. Probably easily fixed.

It still worked, just slowly lowered itself.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

DreamOn13 posted:

That has a lifetime warranty if you want another, just sayin'.

mrglynis
Mar 10, 2009
I finally bit the bullet and treated myself a little. Purchased this guy today:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profile-heavy-duty-floor-jack-rapid-pump-68050.html

I've been eyeballing it for a while now. My current jack is one of their aluminum ones. Its still works fine 3 yrs on. Its only downside is that the max lift height is like 14.5". Just high enough to get the tires off the ground after lowering the car onto jack stands. My new one is just under 2'. So I cant wait to use it tomorrow. I've got to replace my whole front brake system (calipers, rotors, and pads).

I should take a side by side pic. The new one absolutely dwarfs the old one. Of course it weighs 70lbs more too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Splizwarf posted:

poo poo I didn't know that. I've been using a 10mm socket + extension to lock/unlock for like a year and a half now since the drat handle end rounded off.

EDIT: Ask me about crawling under the car and twisting left to let the car slowly drop back to the floor.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mrglynis posted:

I finally bit the bullet and treated myself a little. Purchased this guy today:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profile-heavy-duty-floor-jack-rapid-pump-68050.html

I've been eyeballing it for a while now. My current jack is one of their aluminum ones. Its still works fine 3 yrs on. Its only downside is that the max lift height is like 14.5". Just high enough to get the tires off the ground after lowering the car onto jack stands. My new one is just under 2'. So I cant wait to use it tomorrow. I've got to replace my whole front brake system (calipers, rotors, and pads).

I should take a side by side pic. The new one absolutely dwarfs the old one. Of course it weighs 70lbs more too.

I have been eyefucking this jack for a while now and I haven't quite pulled the trigger. I moved to the PNW and sold off my entire garage before leaving, lived in an apartment for a year, but I'm now in a place with my a garage and I have a seemingly insatiable desire to get my hands dirty and scrape some knuckles under a car.

Need to snatch one of those 20% off coupons and get it along with a set of jackstands...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Splizwarf posted:

No, it doesn't. 90 day but you can buy a replacement warranty for 2-3 years I think. It was leaking near the cylinder on bottom. I had it for a couple years, generally using it on cars less than 3k pounds. I started using it on a 3800 lb car and it failed. Yes, that exceeds the jack weight, but you're never lifting the entire car. At best one axle or one side and the weight transfers to the other side/end so I didn't figure it would be enough to hurt it. Maybe it's just bad luck.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Weird. I asked about it and they said it was a lifetime warranty, so I brought mine in the next day and they swapped it right out. Didn't argue or even ask me what was wrong with it.

Sorry, man. v:shobon:v

mrglynis
Mar 10, 2009

Sterndotstern posted:

I have been eyefucking this jack for a while now and I haven't quite pulled the trigger. I moved to the PNW and sold off my entire garage before leaving, lived in an apartment for a year, but I'm now in a place with my a garage and I have a seemingly insatiable desire to get my hands dirty and scrape some knuckles under a car.

Need to snatch one of those 20% off coupons and get it along with a set of jackstands...

Used it today. It was soo awesome being able to get the car up as high as I did. But of course now another problem arises. My new jack out lifts my jack stands. Sigh! Guess I need to upgrade those too.

Ps: You cant use the 20% coupon on floor jacks. Its in the fine print. Stands should be good to go though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

mrglynis posted:

Ps: You cant use the 20% coupon on floor jacks. Its in the fine print. Stands should be good to go though.

This right here is why I stopped leisure-shopping at Harbor Freight and only go there once in a while for specific things. Which is probably good for me and my wallet since I used to go there every couple weeks and blow $100+, but lovely for them because everyone else I know reacted the same way.

You can't use the 20% coupons on basically anything that costs more than about $100 anymore, and they're a lot harder to get now. :(

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'd been eyeing that Pittsburgh jack for a while as well. My current jack is too tall to fit under my lowered car easily, and it starting to show signs of a leaky seal. Maybe I'll have to buy it this weekend, and donate my old jack to my parents' garage up north.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

Have you guys seen the Tite-Reach extension wrench?

I assume it's just a bunch of gears inside, but holy poo poo the applications, especially if you can use gearing to increase the torque at the end. I want several.

gently caress, every time I enter this thread I spend at least a hundered dollars :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Although it's not super low profile, I have the jack discussed in this thread on garagejournal, 3.5ton from Costco. It was like $90 when I got it about a year ago, and I've got to say that it seems nicer than the HF ones. Of course, any cheap Chinese jack is going to develop some issues over time, but it seems fine to me. Cheaper, too, if you can find it.

e: Actually, it looks about as low as that HF one. And.... pretty similar actually, "somehow". :tinfoil:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 29, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I went to HF and resisted spending much money today... all I got was one of those squeeze-bulb fluid transfer pumps and some face shields for use while metalworking. Needed the pump to fill my transfer case, I love those things for that kind of use (also great for filling gearboxes unless they take 80W90, which is drat near impossible to pump with that sort of thing.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

You can't use the 20% coupons on basically anything that costs more than about $100 anymore, and they're a lot harder to get now. :(

There's a HF ad in the Sunday paper every other week and in addition to that they run the coupons in Maxim and a dozen other magazines every month. They're really easy to get, I have a stack of 15 or so that don't start expiring for another 3 weeks or so.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's cool, they stopped doing magazine coupons for a while when they started the new email list.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

Although it's not super low profile, I have the jack discussed in this thread on garagejournal, 3.5ton from Costco. It was like $90 when I got it about a year ago, and I've got to say that it seems nicer than the HF ones. Of course, any cheap Chinese jack is going to develop some issues over time, but it seems fine to me. Cheaper, too, if you can find it.

e: Actually, it looks about as low as that HF one. And.... pretty similar actually, "somehow". :tinfoil:

I bought the same one, and gave my low-profile HF one to my neighbor. The Costco one is heavy as poo poo and built like a tank. Apparently they are pretty tough, the Tiremax in my town has about 2 of them - the mgr. said they've held up fine to daily use for over a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

That's cool, they stopped doing magazine coupons for a while when they started the new email list.

Did they? I never noticed and that's the only place I get mine from. I had my car in for service a while back and I plucked a dozen of them from the waiting room magazines.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I need a good multimeter but don't have the $100-300 to spend on a Fluke.

Can anyone suggest a decent cheap-ish multimeter?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That depends.....in what way do you need it to be "good"? Digital or analog?

For typical automotive repairs, you don't need much more than a POS that can tell you if you're within a few tenths of 12 V and something that can show you resistance.

Getting more into things, a large amperage capacity is useful, as is something with a tone function for short detection. Also something ruggedized. But really, what features you want/need make all the difference.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've been using a $12 Radio Shack multimeter for years. It even does audio resistance checking. My favorite part is that it's got an analog needle on it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you're lucky, you can pick up a coupon to get one of these free, but otherwise it's $5.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Perfectly fine for most uses around the car or garage. I do own a nice Fluke, but the half dozen of these HF meters I've got floating around in gloveboxes and drawers still get a lot of use.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Motronic posted:

That depends.....in what way do you need it to be "good"? Digital or analog?

For typical automotive repairs, you don't need much more than a POS that can tell you if you're within a few tenths of 12 V and something that can show you resistance.

Getting more into things, a large amperage capacity is useful, as is something with a tone function for short detection. Also something ruggedized. But really, what features you want/need make all the difference.

I want it to work. My harbor freight ones all read out incorrect results.

eddiewalker posted:

If you're lucky, you can pick up a coupon to get one of these free, but otherwise it's $5.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Perfectly fine for most uses around the car or garage. I do own a nice Fluke, but the half dozen of these HF meters I've got floating around in gloveboxes and drawers still get a lot of use.
I think I have 3 of them. All of them readout wrong results and not one of them gives the same results as another.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
My father bought 2 of them and tested them against the calibration equipment they have at work, both were within 2%. As with typical Chinese junk quality control is non-existant.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
If you get a HF multimeter they are awesome for certain things. Those things are continuity, AC voltage approximating and DC voltage approximating. They have no auto off feature. The leads are absolute garbage. Always use a higher range than you need to. Need to measure 15? Dont use 20V because if it measures 20.1 it'll measure nothing.

If you need to measure voltage between 3ph legs it'll work well for that stuff because usually you only care about a 10+v difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I want it to work. My harbor freight ones all read out incorrect results.

I think I have 3 of them. All of them readout wrong results and not one of them gives the same results as another.

Analog ones? You do realize they need to be adjusted/zeroed, right?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I picked up a Fluke 113on ebay for like $70, last meter I will ever need. I got tired of buying cheap radio shack ones broke every few years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

I picked up a Fluke 113on ebay for like $70, last meter I will ever need. I got tired of buying cheap radio shack ones broke every few years.

That's pretty good price. I've got a 77, which has a few more features, and it's my absolute go-to. I do have others that I use for specific purposes, but the 77 pretty much cover 95% of what I do. And that includes board level repair (where I'm either using the 77 or a scope).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I just use it for car, house and low level appliance repair. I would just rather spend $70 once than keep buying cheap ones when the fail (or I drop then and they explode).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
that's what I hate about cheap electronics. The electronics may be reasonably accurate and last forever but the plastic housings are so cheap and brittle that they shatter if you drop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A used Fluke from a pawn shop.