Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Yeah I have atv2 with xbmc (watching game of thrones right now :) ) and I love it. The only Apple product I would ever care to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

~Coxy posted:

With the atv3 coming out recently they probably lost half their potential customer base so they're really letting themselves down first and foremost with the screwups.
Anyone who bought an ATV3 specifically for XBMC over a Raspberry Pi is an idiot.

Despite all the delays and missteps, you'll still be able to get a Raspberry Pi in your hands well before an ATV3 jailbreak.

It's been 18 months since the last bootrom exploit, we've seen absolutely zero for A5 devices despite a year on the market, and it's extremely difficult to create userland jailbreaks on the ATV with its much smaller software footprint.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 2, 2012

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Could the GPIO pins be used to emulate a parallel port? I was thinking that the Raspberry Pi could make a cool CNC controller. It's cheap enough that you could just hardwire it permanently into the machine and set it up to boot directly into the CNC software, just like in an industrial machine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cockmaster posted:

Could the GPIO pins be used to emulate a parallel port? I was thinking that the Raspberry Pi could make a cool CNC controller. It's cheap enough that you could just hardwire it permanently into the machine and set it up to boot directly into the CNC software, just like in an industrial machine.

This could be possible, but I'd be wary of relying on it. Not because there's anything wrong with the idea but because it's a pain in general to get accurate/stable parallel port emulation set up.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

frumpsnake posted:

Anyone who bought an ATV3 specifically for XBMC over a Raspberry Pi is an idiot.

Despite all the delays and missteps, you'll still be able to get a Raspberry Pi in your hands well before an ATV3 jailbreak.

It's been 18 months since the last bootrom exploit, we've seen absolutely zero for A5 devices despite a year on the market, and it's extremely difficult to create userland jailbreaks on the ATV with its much smaller software footprint.

The rpi is also likely to have difficulty decoding anything it can't do natively is hardware. The atv3 is roughly four times as powerful.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Why even bother emulating a parallel port? Can't you use the GPIO pins to drive the steppers directly?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Tiger.Bomb posted:

The rpi is also likely to have difficulty decoding anything it can't do natively is hardware. The atv3 is roughly four times as powerful.

Agreed, but that wasn't the argument. The "potential customer base" of Raspberry Pi users that has supposedly been stolen by the ATV3 is only really interested in playing MPEG-4/H.264 or they wouldn't be potential customers.. (And the MPEG-4/H.264 limit is actually a licensing issue to keep the cost of the Raspberry Pi down. The GPU itself can actually actually do VC-1 & MPEG-2 among others. I'm not sure if there's any way around that.)

If/when the ATV3 IS jailbroken, Apple will obviously be able to handle the demand of 50,000 nerds a lot better than the Raspberry Pi foundation, with 24 hour shipping and a giant retail presence. If you want to gently caress around with AirPlay, sure, but there is zero reason to get an ATV3 *now* with the sole intention of a future jailbreak and XBMC.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

frogbert posted:

Why even bother emulating a parallel port? Can't you use the GPIO pins to drive the steppers directly?

Presumably the hardware he's already got is already set up for parallel communication. Trying to run the steppers directly might be a lot more hassle.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

frumpsnake posted:

Agreed, but that wasn't the argument. The "potential customer base" of Raspberry Pi users that has supposedly been stolen by the ATV3 is only really interested in playing MPEG-4/H.264 or they wouldn't be potential customers.. (And the MPEG-4/H.264 limit is actually a licensing issue to keep the cost of the Raspberry Pi down. The GPU itself can actually actually do VC-1 & MPEG-2 among others. I'm not sure if there's any way around that.)

If/when the ATV3 IS jailbroken, Apple will obviously be able to handle the demand of 50,000 nerds a lot better than the Raspberry Pi foundation, with 24 hour shipping and a giant retail presence. If you want to gently caress around with AirPlay, sure, but there is zero reason to get an ATV3 *now* with the sole intention of a future jailbreak and XBMC.
OK I will agree with you there.

I actually want a Rapsberry PI to gently caress around with, not just to sit under my TV.

That said, it'll probably just collect dust like my arduino and pickit2.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Install Gentoo posted:

Presumably the hardware he's already got is already set up for parallel communication. Trying to run the steppers directly might be a lot more hassle.

Actually, I was just thinking that you probably wouldn't have to bother mimicking the actual parallel port communication standards. All the parallel port interface does is give you a convenient point to hook up the motor drivers and stuff (and in some cases optically isolate the computer from the motors).

Driving a stepper motor simply involves setting one pin high or low to select direction, and sending short pulses down another pin to move the motor (one pulse per step). Things like limit switches and probes can be handled as basic digital inputs, and spindle speed can be controlled via PWM.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
The targeted customer base is definately students and low income families, but there are definately a lot more use cases than that. I would like one that I can stick in a box with a solar charger, running a linux distro with a wifi card in AP mode, serving up a wikipedia mirror during daylight hours. Why? Why not, it's $45 to provide something neat that will potentially be useful after the zombie apocalypse.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Well, I mainly want (my first) one for HTPC/XMBC use, but I'm also thinking this could be a nice robotics platform, probably enough power to do a bit of video processing: plug in USB camera, strap to roomba, or better yet XV-11 with laser rangefinder and program it to do all kinds of autonomous cool stuff.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cockmaster posted:

Actually, I was just thinking that you probably wouldn't have to bother mimicking the actual parallel port communication standards. All the parallel port interface does is give you a convenient point to hook up the motor drivers and stuff (and in some cases optically isolate the computer from the motors).

Driving a stepper motor simply involves setting one pin high or low to select direction, and sending short pulses down another pin to move the motor (one pulse per step). Things like limit switches and probes can be handled as basic digital inputs, and spindle speed can be controlled via PWM.

You're not really getting anything out of emulating the parallel port specifically then! If the system you're interacting with does not already have the parallel interface,then building one on the system and one on the rpi is just making yourself more work for no gain.

muuuzo
Apr 4, 2012
Can you run JavaSE (from Sun/) on Raspberry Pi?

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

adorai posted:

The targeted customer base is definately students and low income families, but there are definately a lot more use cases than that. I would like one that I can stick in a box with a solar charger, running a linux distro with a wifi card in AP mode, serving up a wikipedia mirror during daylight hours. Why? Why not, it's $45 to provide something neat that will potentially be useful after the zombie apocalypse.

Exactly how many low income families do you think need a cheap computer with no included peripherals that can run Linux?

Not hating on Raspberry Pi; I just don't see that being a target market...

Mantle
May 15, 2004

SynVisions posted:

Exactly how many low income families do you think need a cheap computer with no included peripherals that can run Linux?

Not hating on Raspberry Pi; I just don't see that being a target market...

I think that is a future market for this device. The first adopters of this device are going to be hackers and guys like us that have the disposable income to buy a $50 toy (including shipping and peripherals etc.)

Once the device has gained a foothold and a healthy developer ecosystem it will then become a platform that will be attractive to low income families to buy into. I think we have to be patient for that day though. Look how long it's taken Apple's platform to get where it is today, backed by $billions of marketing and support.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mantle posted:

I think that is a future market for this device. The first adopters of this device are going to be hackers and guys like us that have the disposable income to buy a $50 toy (including shipping and peripherals etc.)

Once the device has gained a foothold and a healthy developer ecosystem it will then become a platform that will be attractive to low income families to buy into. I think we have to be patient for that day though. Look how long it's taken Apple's platform to get where it is today, backed by $billions of marketing and support.

To establish a market one needs above anything else marketing (and the required billions of $). Technical merits have absolutely zero value in the face of Joe Six-Pack.

Look at linux: a superior OS in every way (though with win7 MS has made a good OS) for 20 years now, with a healthy ecosystem, bazillions of apps, and still has no decent representation on the desktop (it has significant % in the mobile space and servers). Microsoft, starting with the DOS era, until now was always behind, and yet everyone uses/used them.

The Apple ecosystem, the same thing. Zero technical superiority (software standpoint), decent machines (mobile and not so mobile computers), draconian rules of who can do what on their systems, yet bazillions of $ in marketing gave them complete and total dominance over the mobile space and gained a lot in the desktop space as well.

The RPi is awesome for hackers, and will be awesome for schools (maybe, some of them seem to prefer to throw $ on apple stuff). I don't see it going anywhere from there (even after things like a case and cool apps will come around).

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

rhag posted:

Look at linux: a superior OS in every way (though with win7 MS has made a good OS) for 20 years now, with a healthy ecosystem, bazillions of apps, and still has no decent representation on the desktop (it has significant % in the mobile space and servers). Microsoft, starting with the DOS era, until now was always behind, and yet everyone uses/used them.

That's your opinion.

In reality:
-Interface sucks. Wait. What interface? Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox, Unity, etc etc etc.
-No standardized package managed (emerge, rpm, apt-get?)
-Driver issues
-Licensing issues (a problem with free software)
-Dependency issues
-Problems with vendors not wanting to develop for it because the GPL is draconian.

There are a lot of reasons why Linux isn't popular on the desktop.

That said... If I didn't have my Linux box for my development (At work I have a third monitor (Windows) just for Office and Outlook) I would die.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
^^^
Every time I go from mac/windows to linux I always think to myself "If only I had a standardized package manager! There's just too many choices."

I'm also very glad that BSD unix has so many vendors developing for it because of the much more lax software license.

adorai posted:

I'm pretty sure the target audience is hobbyists and institutions/groups that want to teach programming on a shoestring budget. You could definitely do some cool projects with grade schoolers that use RPis to control some simple robot kits for low cost.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 5, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

rhag posted:

Look at linux: a superior OS in every way (though with win7 MS has made a good OS) for 20 years now, with a healthy ecosystem, bazillions of apps, and still has no decent representation on the desktop (it has significant % in the mobile space and servers).

Linux has gotten a ton of enterprise-funded development that's led to enterprise-minded optimizations. In comparison, the desktop experience has lagged behind explicitly consumer-oriented systems like Windows and OS X. Many, many common desktop tasks like video editing, consumer media creation, and web media are served better by Windows and better still by OS X. With that consumer familiarity comes business purchases for client PCs to minimize non-job-duties training.

quote:

Microsoft, starting with the DOS era, until now was always behind, and yet everyone uses/used them.

"Everyone uses/used them" leads to inherent value of sticking with the ecosystem. You've got investment in software (both producing and buying it), hardware compatibility, particular competitive advantages, and knowing how the heck to use the system. I think you overestimate how into the nuts and bolts the average user is willing or even able to get, given all the other demands of life on their time and attention.

quote:

The Apple ecosystem, the same thing. Zero technical superiority (software standpoint), decent machines (mobile and not so mobile computers), draconian rules of who can do what on their systems, yet bazillions of $ in marketing gave them complete and total dominance over the mobile space and gained a lot in the desktop space as well.

OS X is Unix under the hood, you know that, right? There are lots and lots of reasons an OS afficionado can call it a technically superior operating system. And whether or not you personally like Mac computers, they are exceptionally well-put-together machines, far beyond "decent." The draconian UI and UE guidelines are an active design decision, and judging by their market success, people really want an ecosystem that trades flexibility for ease of use and task-focused design.

The marketing is secondary. It would have fallen apart had Apple not had legitimately differentiated products that remained useful and felt well-designed once the hype and the thrill of new ownership wore off.

Plus, there's some history you're missing here. The early Apple computers were legitimately revolutionary feats of engineering that helped shape the transition from a hobbyist market to a personal computer market, the Apple I especially, though the Apple II introduced the switching power supply, now ubiquitous, to computing. Same for the Macintosh - sure, the GUI wasn't a new idea per se, but Apple executed it incredibly well in a way that was a real game-changer.

I was born after all this happened; I can easily see how judging Apple by the Apple of the 90s could lead you to become focused on a market obsessed with Apple for what seems to be no good reason. That was the era where PC computing caught up to and began to surpass Apple, where the early days of OS X weren't obviously compelling, and how Apple's various mobile designs weren't obviously valuable from the point of view of somebody who had seen many smartphones before.

Apple seemed like it was packaging inferior hardware in fancy design. Well, yeah, arguably this is so, sometimes unambiguously. But they weren't really selling the hardware; they were selling the design. That design was a combination of the software and the hardware it ran on, and you didn't really get that anywhere else at the time. The PC market was driven more by improving benchmark performance than any drive towards improving user experience.

quote:

The RPi is awesome for hackers, and will be awesome for schools (maybe, some of them seem to prefer to throw $ on apple stuff).

Apple gives big discounts for educational buyers, pretty much erasing the "Apple tax" and then some on most bread-and-butter machines. It's not as egregious a purchasing decision as you might think.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 5, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I honestly can't believe someone is saying Linux was "superior in every way" for the past 20 years without being a troll. I mean, honestly now, Linux was barely usable in 1992 and 1993. It was still not very good in 1994 through 1997. 2000 is about the earliest point you could make a claim for it being a "superior OS" to everything else around (though I wouldn't agree with that assessment personally, people can make a good case starting around then).

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Mantle posted:

Can you name even one hobbyist platform that has turned into "something attractive for low income families to buy into?" Even when Wal-mart tried to sell super-low-budget Linux desktops, people wanted Windows.

Longinus00 posted:

I'm pretty sure the target audience is hobbyists and institutions/groups that want to teach programming on a shoestring budget. You could definitely do some cool projects with grade schoolers that use RPis to control some simple robot kits for low cost.

Low-income schools are not interested in doing robotics projects for grade schoolers. If they can scrape together enough of a tech budget for hardware, it's going to go towards teaching older kids computer skills so basic I doubt they even register on the radar of a lot of people posting here: using Windows, typing, browsing the internet, using Office, and so forth. Getting some tiny fraction of kids interested in programming is nice and all, but it's going to take a back seat to teaching a bunch of kids the skills needed for almost any non-manual-labor job today.

And, if you're running a private institution that wants to teach programming on a shoestring budget, $50/pop for a Raspberry Pi pales in comparison to the traditional source for those groups: surplus machines donated by businesses for a tax writeoff.

I get the feeling that the educational plans here are run on the same level as their regulatory approval: a lot of good intentions, crippled by a "well the hard part is designing the hardware, and once that's done everything else will just fall into place" attitude. The Dunning-Kruger effect strikes again, I suppose.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

OS X is Unix under the hood, you know that, right?
Yes, FreeBSD 5.x if I'm not mistaken. They took it and messed it up. I'm sorry, I really can't give them any credit for that.

I learned about computers in the 90s as well (12 or so years old), so yes, my opinion may be (it is?) biased on the perspective that i had back then. But you simply can't deny the drat good marketing they've done to an arguably decent product (and here i'm looking at the 2001 IPod, that was nothing better than another 30$ mp3 player with a usb interface that you could "upload" mp3's to via the old file copy command).

Install Gentoo posted:

I honestly can't believe someone is saying Linux was "superior in every way" for the past 20 years without being a troll. I mean, honestly now, Linux was barely usable in 1992 and 1993. It was still not very good in 1994 through 1997. 2000 is about the earliest point you could make a claim for it being a "superior OS" to everything else around (though I wouldn't agree with that assessment personally, people can make a good case starting around then).

I'm sorry, but this is...wow. I completely admit that nowadays the major desktop environments (gnome and unity) suck balls with they mobile focus which obviously falls flat on the desktop. Kde always sucked imo, since i've used it first in the 1.x versions when it just mimicked win95, and i just can't adjust to the newer style, though I highly admire their framework/API.

Looking under the hood though, Linux shined. the TCP stack, the kernel, the GNU tools. The drat good window managers (Enlightenment 16 was magnific), the stuff that just worked. You complain about drivers support? Well...yes, support until the early 2000's was quite low but i'm not quite sure how can you make that a Linux flaw.
And barely usable? I've first used Linux in '96 or so, and it was perfectly fine. And of course, way more powerful than windows was at the time.

Edit: sorry, should not go into a OS flame war. to each their own. Still waiting for the RPi though, i hope I won't get it in Aug, as their site is saying :(

Volguus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 5, 2012

nickdab
Jul 5, 2008
I might lose my mind if this devolves into another gassed OS Wars thread.

Space Gopher posted:

Low-income schools are not interested in doing robotics projects for grade schoolers. If they can scrape together enough of a tech budget for hardware, it's going to go towards teaching older kids computer skills so basic I doubt they even register on the radar of a lot of people posting here: using Windows, typing, browsing the internet, using Office, and so forth. Getting some tiny fraction of kids interested in programming is nice and all, but it's going to take a back seat to teaching a bunch of kids the skills needed for almost any non-manual-labor job today.

That is actually a really interesting point. I think the RPi developers hope this will be a good gateway into programming for students, but most schools are just trying to get their kids to learn Word and Excel because that's what they will be doing for most of their lives. Maybe it will be the higher-income schools who have some extra money to waste? And parents who want their kids to learn programming for one reason or another, but don't want to risk their computers.

But I do think people are getting their panties way too bunched up waiting on a $35 machine from an academic group dedicated to helping children learn.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

nickdab posted:

I might lose my mind if this devolves into another gassed OS Wars thread.

That is actually a really interesting point. I think the RPi developers hope this will be a good gateway into programming for students, but most schools are just trying to get their kids to learn Word and Excel because that's what they will be doing for most of their lives. Maybe it will be the higher-income schools who have some extra money to waste? And parents who want their kids to learn programming for one reason or another, but don't want to risk their computers.

But I do think people are getting their panties way too bunched up waiting on a $35 machine from an academic group dedicated to helping children learn.

I think your thread title is a very apt description. The primary difference being of course, that when the Commodore 64 came out, it was around the same level of performance/features (I THINK) as its competitors. (I was not alive in 1982).

But, a lot of great programmers and engineers got their start playing with the C64. By necessity, you had to have a deep knowledge of the hardware. I would argue that regular desktop PCs, if available to a kid, still allow them to get a great start programming (so many beginner options out there).

The Raspberry Pi though is cheap (very low cost of entry to students), and it's not a big "deal" if you break it. A RPi will never be someone's primary productivity machine, or a shared family computer (I thought my parents would kill me when I screwed up my LILO config on the shared family PC). Again, one could argue that desktops/laptops have gotten cheap enough for families to have several in a household, but they are not $25-$50 cheap (unless it's a really, really old dumpster'd PC or something). It will do an incredible job of teaching though; the hardware isn't buried under a NDA, and since it is running Linux, if you find yourself needing to dig deeper...fire up LXR and start diving into the kernel issues. It may bring some development life back to the system instead of people pumping out JavaScript/etc web apps.

Despite the hardware being perfectly suited for it, I don't think people wanted a cheap XBMC-machine are the intended audience, nor do I think that their voices should have any input into the development of the board. I think the education aspect of the board should come first and foremost; getting a media player for $35 is just icing on the cake.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

movax posted:

I think your thread title is a very apt description. The primary difference being of course, that when the Commodore 64 came out, it was around the same level of performance/features (I THINK) as its competitors. (I was not alive in 1982).

The C64 was mostly comparable in performance to the Atari 800 and the current lower end Apple IIs at launch, overall, though in certain areas each would be ahead of others.

Notably at its launch, it was $595 while the Atari 800 was $899 and the Apple IIs started at $1200. IBM PC was of course available in much more capable ability, but started at $1600 for the base model that used cassette tapes and used your TV.

In today's money:
$1,403.73 = Commodore 64
$2,120.92 = Atari 800
$2,831.04 = Apple II+ (48k)
$3,774.72 = IBM PC

So, you know, "cheap" is relative for the C64. $595 was cheap for a computer, but still a lot of money, and remember that even using a Datasette cost extra - $595 just got you the c64 and no storage.

Edit: Also for reference with the inflation-adjusted prices, the average PC bought in 2011 cost $405

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 5, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

movax posted:

The Raspberry Pi though is cheap (very low cost of entry to students), and it's not a big "deal" if you break it. A RPi will never be someone's primary productivity machine, or a shared family computer (I thought my parents would kill me when I screwed up my LILO config on the shared family PC). Again, one could argue that desktops/laptops have gotten cheap enough for families to have several in a household, but they are not $25-$50 cheap (unless it's a really, really old dumpster'd PC or something). It will do an incredible job of teaching though; the hardware isn't buried under a NDA, and since it is running Linux, if you find yourself needing to dig deeper...fire up LXR and start diving into the kernel issues. It may bring some development life back to the system instead of people pumping out JavaScript/etc web apps.

This is kind of the point. Like, omg if I had a $25 computer I could play around with when I was a kid and screw up and rebuild to my hearts' content without worrying about making my parents mad, I think everyone would have been a lot happier. I got very, very good at TI-BASIC though!

I really doubt this thing is ever going to have a mass market appeal, and if it does it will be because some entity with a large monetary interest for some reason basically rips off the concept and redoes it themselves with a huge marketing push, but as they become easier to obtain and maybe even are sold in some kinds of hobbyist stores it is likely to reach the hands of tech-curious kids who can scrape up the cash themselves or their parents see no problem getting them an essentially educational toy for less than a cost of one of them vidja games. That's kind of the point here, and it's a worthy goal.

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
I mowed a lot of lawns to buy my first 486 PC. I could have bought everything I needed back then for the cost of two lawns (in 1990s lawn-dollars) if it were priced like the Raspberry Pi.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

muuuzo posted:

Can you run JavaSE (from Sun/) on Raspberry Pi?
Should. Oracle distributes Java SE for Embedded which, while I've never used it, targets a few different ARM Linux setups. The ARMv6 EABI VFP Little Endian should work with the Pi.

Also, some ARM Linux distributions (e.g., Debian) include OpenJDK which is close enough to Oracle Java in my book that I don't bother with official packages, even for things like compiling Android.

Lear
Jul 6, 2007

"My third eye is squeegied quite cleanly."

Boten Anna posted:

I really doubt this thing is ever going to have a mass market appeal, and if it does it will be because some entity with a large monetary interest for some reason basically rips off the concept and redoes it themselves with a huge marketing push, but as they become easier to obtain and maybe even are sold in some kinds of hobbyist stores it is likely to reach the hands of tech-curious kids who can scrape up the cash themselves or their parents see no problem getting them an essentially educational toy for less than a cost of one of them vidja games. That's kind of the point here, and it's a worthy goal.

I think the main point is to bring back the concept of a challenging piece of technology. The problem(?) with today's consumer electronics is that it's so well designed that anyone can use it and not know squat about how it really works, much less what goes on in the background. Compounding the issue, Microsoft and Apple donate tons of money and equipment to educational facilities (HS, college) so that they can pump out MS-(and Apple)-centric technologists thus creating a workforce when they graduate.

What the RPi does, in my opinion, is put the challenge back into a consumer device so that kids (and even adults) can actually learn about how things actually work instead of knowing what to click on. It provides junior high/high schools the ability to create a lab of these things for less than $500 and, I dunno, go back to teaching PASCAL as a starter-language instead of how MS Word works.

My perception (again, my "perception", formed by working at a large firm that has seen intern after intern walk through here over the years) is that it seems like the majoiry of modern technologsts are just spoon-fed everything nowadays. I had an intern come through here last month who has never used Linux, and he was a senior CS student (I won't call out the univesity (U.H.)! He literally told me, "Oh, but I'm taking a senior level class next year called "OS <something-or-other>" which is going to introduce us to Unix."

... a Senior class!

Anyway, RPi fills this niche, and I hope to God educational facilities catch on to sate the curiosity that I am confident today's junior/high school student have, yet have not been exposed to any alternatives.

Lear fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 5, 2012

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Me, I just want a XBMC platform that can plug into, sit on the back of my HDTV and handle a CEC adapter (Just like everyone else really)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Install Gentoo posted:

Notably at its launch, it was $595 while the Atari 800 was $899 and the Apple IIs started at $1200.

Yeah, and the price for the C64 dropped like a rock - I distinctly remember them at $199 or so - while the Apple prices didn't really drop that much and Atari made some weird mistakes in their lineup after the 400/800 generation.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I wasted so much money on datasettes! It took me forever to afford a disk drive.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Good news! They passed certification already.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

peepsalot posted:

Good news! They passed certification already.

And they're predicting the first batch to ship in 7-10 days.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/978#comment-18906 posted:

At my most pessimistic, and bearing in mind that it’s a Bank Holiday, I’d say 7-10 days.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, and the price for the C64 dropped like a rock - I distinctly remember them at $199 or so - while the Apple prices didn't really drop that much and Atari made some weird mistakes in their lineup after the 400/800 generation.

Funny thing about that - according to Commodore, the total cost of production and design on each Commodore 64 they put out in 1982 was $135 ie the retail price included $460 of pure profit. So that's why later in 1982 they started having $100 rebates if you sent them a used competitor's computer when buying a C64, and then in 1983 they were able to drop the MSRP to $200.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The C64 had some awesome software and games too. I still maintain that Creatures was one of the best sidescrolling platform games of all time.

Blood, chainsaws, tits and vomit all wrapped up behind cartoon style graphics.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The first batch are landing in end users' hands as of today according to rumblings on Twitter.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

DNova posted:

The first batch are landing in end users' hands as of today according to rumblings on Twitter.

Yep, and people are already flipping them on eBay for 3x the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
On one hand, it makes perfect sense given market economics. On the other hand, "I AM SO loving EXCITED ABOUT A $35 COMPUTER THAT I WILL PAY OVER $100 FOR ONE!"