Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My so far only playthrough used EDI and Liara pretty much exclusively, as they synergised well with my Vanguard. It generally went fine, aside from a few hiccups that were more about encounter design than squadmates being fragile.

That was my go-to team for my soldier run. EDI takes down defenses, and Liara does crowd control. I was kinda bummed that I couldn't have a synthetic bro squad, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finished the First level and Mars mission and just finished talking to people on the Citadel

I like it so far. Being able to jump in any direction is pretty useful. I was still in Me2 mode at the start and kept getting hurt by grenades but once I started getting used to the movement I'd just dodge out of the way of the grenades pretty quick.

Meleeing owns in this. Also Biotics are completely ridiculous again, just like Me1. At least so far. Liara's singularity + me spamming warp on held enemies is responsible for a lot of my kills.

I do miss my Assault Armor. I don't think I've even bothered detonating my armor yet. It seems sorta pointless to do, because then you lose the damage reduction from having it up and it also puts all your other powers on cooldown and I like to have warp handy for spamming on enemies held by singularity. Maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I'm now on a Shep that got everyone through the suicide mission okay, so it's almost like playing the game as it was meant to be played now. Mordin's new actor is noticeable for some of his lines, but his storyline is so well done that you don't notice after a while. "Would've liked to study seashells." What a fantastic character arc.

Also did the indoctrinated hanar quest this time around, simply because I finally was able to find the Salarian guy in the hallway where the map said he wouldn't be. Still no sign of Zaeed, though.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Gordon Shumway posted:

Also did the indoctrinated hanar quest this time around, simply because I finally was able to find the Salarian guy in the hallway where the map said he wouldn't be. Still no sign of Zaeed, though.
his quest should activate after the geth dreadnought mission. You'll need to go the spectre office and read up on the disappearance of din Korlac first

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I'm playing through with a NG+ Insanity sentinel and having a hilarious time detonating absolutely every enemy in the game with biotic explosions. Most of the time I'm just spamming Double Throw while my allies set up for explosions with Singularity, Warp, Reave, Dark Channel, or Slam (which is the best setup power ever, because if you use Throw on someone at the apex, they explode, go flying 400 feet, and are suddenly yanked back down to the ground from a dozen stories up).

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Hahaha I just got a Javik line I'd never heard before. Something like "The Turian would be an even better marksman if he had four eyes" after I walked in on a conversation with Garrus.

I would kill to have been able to see Garrus's outraged reaction to that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zoran posted:

(which is the best setup power ever, because if you use Throw on someone at the apex, they explode, go flying 400 feet, and are suddenly yanked back down to the ground from a dozen stories up).

This is awesome. I must try this.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So, um, I just finished Priority: Citadel II and my Reputation bar is nearly maxed (at about 97% it looks like). I imported an ME2 save so I started with maybe 17-18% but still, drat, already full.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Entire Blasto run.

This is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXf7HC7iYEY&feature=player_embedded

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Entire Blasto run.

This is amazing.

I want DLC that's nothing but 2 hours of you playing Blasto 6 The Game. :3:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

twistedmentat posted:

Entire Blasto run.

This is amazing.

This is amazing.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Entire Blasto run.

This is amazing.

I stood there and stared at that poster for the entire 11 minutes. Good times.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Holy crap, the MP soldiers and soldier-Shep are like, a galaxy apart in terms of power. It is not ME1 level of "ha ha I kill thresher maws with my bare hands" but it's drat nice to shoot a river of lead and shrug off punishment (some at least) for a while. :)

Will be testing the Adept soon. Space witch femshep is always a favourite. :3:

Belan
May 7, 2007
It looks like the advanced upgrades in the datapad app got their prices reduced. The first one used to be 500k, now they are 10, 25 and 40k respectively.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

twistedmentat posted:

Entire Blasto run.

This is amazing.

Vorcha are natural actors :byodood:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
Liara is definitely a pretty squishy squad mate, but she makes up for it by generally having really short cooldowns on a bunch of her powers. I could use her warp twice for every one time I used EDI's overload or incinerate, and her singularity is even faster.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

Liara is definitely a pretty squishy squad mate, but she makes up for it by generally having really short cooldowns on a bunch of her powers. I could use her warp twice for every one time I used EDI's overload or incinerate, and her singularity is even faster.

Yeah, she has been part of my 'go to' squad for my Insanity Engineer, because the combination just works so well. Throw in Kaidan, and you have a very arse-kicking shore-party indeed. I haven't had any notable durability issues with them.

It occurs to me that I don't think I've yet given a 'go to location' order to any of my squad-mates in either of my playthroughs so far - thats a hell of a departure from ME2.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

magimix posted:

Yeah, she has been part of my 'go to' squad for my Insanity Engineer, because the combination just works so well. Throw in Kaidan, and you have a very arse-kicking shore-party indeed. I haven't had any notable durability issues with them.

It occurs to me that I don't think I've yet given a 'go to location' order to any of my squad-mates in either of my playthroughs so far - thats a hell of a departure from ME2.
you can even spec kaidan to be a tank, almost as durable as vega can get.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Banjodark posted:

you can even spec kaidan to be a tank, almost as durable as vega can get.

I forget the specifics of how I've built Kaidan; I probably focused on talent effectiveness for the most part, but yes, he is certainly still capable of holding his own in gunplay (especially with the L5 AR and decent mods he is using), and taking hits. A very solid Sentinel.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

I was planning on using Kaidan/Vega on my next (engineer) playthrough. But I just realized that both of them have defensive powers, which means that my entire squad will be affected by that annoying cooldown bug. :bang:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

I was planning on using Kaidan/Vega on my next (engineer) playthrough. But I just realized that both of them have defensive powers, which means that my entire squad will be affected by that annoying cooldown bug. :bang:

Remind me about that one again... Is that the one where the cooldown kicks in on load, so you take the hit no matter what? For me at least, nothing beats the squad-ammo issue from ME2. Man, that one was a loving pain in the arse.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

Remind me about that one again... Is that the one where the cooldown kicks in on load, so you take the hit no matter what? For me at least, nothing beats the squad-ammo issue from ME2. Man, that one was a loving pain in the arse.

Yeah, any character (Shep or squad) with a defensive power (even at rank 0), will automatically get a super long cooldown [1] every time you load (though, oddly enough, not on level transitions). I'm not sure if anyone else suffers from this issue, but it's 100% reproducible for me.

[1] I think it's just a "normal" length cooldown, but it doesn't account for any of the (massive) cooldown bonuses you probably have.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

dwazegek posted:

Yeah, any character (Shep or squad) with a defensive power (even at rank 0), will automatically get a super long cooldown [1] every time you load (though, oddly enough, not on level transitions). I'm not sure if anyone else suffers from this issue, but it's 100% reproducible for me.

[1] I think it's just a "normal" length cooldown, but it doesn't account for any of the (massive) cooldown bonuses you probably have.

Ew, but I'll be honest - I've never noticed it before and it hasn't impacted on me on insanity difficulty with characters who use defensive powers.

is it that bad?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

I've definitely seen it, to be sure. I don't think it happens constantly for me - not that I can recall at any rate. Similar to the 'lose all your medi-gels' thing, which happened a few times during my first run, but way less frequently during my second.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Banjodark posted:

Ew, but I'll be honest - I've never noticed it before and it hasn't impacted on me on insanity difficulty with characters who use defensive powers.

is it that bad?

It depends, it's mostly an annoyance to me, but I have been screwed over by it as well. Outside of combat it's obviously not an issue. In combat it mostly just means that you have to wait a few seconds until you can use powers. Most of the time this is no big deal, merely annoying, but sometimes it means that enemies can advance on your position sooner, or that that shield pylon/barrier engine you'd quickly take out with a single overload can buff a few extra guys.

The main annoyance, I guess, is that you enter a fight, die, reload and now start that same fight again, but only with an extra disadvantage.

It's easy enough to test if you have it. Just take any class (except sentinel, since they always have a defensive power), go to the med-bay, give yourself a defensive power, save and reload, notice the cooldown icon in the center of the screen (yes it's there, even aboard the Normandy), now swap out the defensive power for any other bonus power, save and load again, and now you don't have the cooldown icon.

edit:

magimix posted:

I've definitely seen it, to be sure. I don't think it happens constantly for me - not that I can recall at any rate. Similar to the 'lose all your medi-gels' thing, which happened a few times during my first run, but way less frequently during my second.

The cooldown thing *always* happens for me, maybe I'm just unlucky :(

I've had the "lose all XP/credits/medigel/fuel" bug too, and while it's worse, it's also so rare that I'm not too bothered about it (and easy to guard against by saving frequently and never overwriting old saves).

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 3, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Something I've been wondering. I was able to purchase all the ME2 DLC armors in ME3, is that because:

a) I imported a save that has all those armors
b) All DLC armors are tied to my bioware/origin account
c) They're always available, to anyone

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

It depends, it's mostly an annoyance to me, but I have been screwed over by it as well. Outside of combat it's obviously not an issue. In combat it mostly just means that you have to wait a few seconds until you can use powers. Most of the time this is no big deal, merely annoying, but sometimes it means that enemies can advance on your position sooner, or that that shield pylon/barrier engine you'd quickly take out with a single overload can buff a few extra guys.

The main annoyance, I guess, is that you enter a fight, die, reload and now start that same fight again, but only with an extra disadvantage.

Like how in ME2 squad-member ammo-talent and active-weapon states don't save. Man, that one always bugged the hell out of me, especially as saves would often trigger *right* as enemies entered the fields at the start of a fight.

dwazegek posted:

The cooldown thing *always* happens for me, maybe I'm just unlucky :(

I've had the "lose all XP/credits/medigel/fuel" bug too, and while it's worse, it's also so rare that I'm not too bothered about it (and easy to guard against by saving frequently and never overwriting old saves).

You can lose credits, XP and fuel as well? :stare: Haven't had that, thankfully. Fortunately between quicksave, autosave, mission-start-save, and my 4 rolling save slots (that span the last few hours), I ought to be covered... :ohdear:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

dwazegek posted:

Something I've been wondering. I was able to purchase all the ME2 DLC armors in ME3, is that because:

a) I imported a save that has all those armors
b) All DLC armors are tied to my bioware/origin account
c) They're always available, to anyone

Well, I don't have all the ME2 armours but I seem to be able to buy them in ME3, so I'd guess they're just available to everyone.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

edit: ^^ oh, hey :) ^^

magimix posted:

You can lose credits, XP and fuel as well? :stare:

I think it's the same bug. I've only had it happen once but then I lost my money, XP and fuel (not sure about medi-gel) all in one go.

In other news, I just discovered skoolmunkee's Javik comics, looks like I won't get any work done today :v:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Belan posted:

It looks like the advanced upgrades in the datapad app got their prices reduced. The first one used to be 500k, now they are 10, 25 and 40k respectively.
Thanks for the heads up. I stop bothering with the app once I did the math and realized that it would take me at least 30 days of thrice-a-day checkups to reach 500k credits.

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

Tibeerius posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I stop bothering with the app once I did the math and realized that it would take me at least 30 days of thrice-a-day checkups to reach 500k credits.

Is it bad I'd built up enough credits to take the level 1 & 2 upgrades as soon as I found this out just now?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I just discovered something that might interest image-quality fetishists: ENB Cinema Mod.

MrChowderClam posted:

What Does The Cinema Mod Do?
  • Changes the atmosphere of the game by modifying the color palette.
  • Provides alternate AA solution, for those unsatisfied with in-game AA.
  • Provides optional Film Grain for those who miss it.
  • Nvidia users can also benefit from SSAO and Negative LOD, for better shadowing, and sharper textures.
Watch some videos of the mod in action here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL23874CE09CAE5A22&feature=view_all

Installing and uninstalling is a matter of copying/deteling the mod's files, and you can toggle the basic things on and off in-game. If you can be bothered to do so, it seems fairly easy to tweak this mod to your liking as well.

There are two minor caveats, though:

1. This mod will make the game prone to crashing - or even prevent you from starting it in the first place - if you do not disable Origin's in-game overlay. Apparently, other overlays can be trouble as well.
2. The film grain is apparently a work-in-progress, and it shows. Right now, it's little more than a static noise filter that covers the entire screen. It's okay for screenshots, but not for gameplay, in my opinion.

EDIT: UPDATE: Here's two more caveats:

3. Enabling Cinema Mod may come at a fairly significant performance cost, so beware. Turning off its AA will help, however.
4. This may be different if you're using FXAA (nVidia cards only, as far as I understand), but if you use the SMAA config, the performance hit probably isn't worth the locally better AA. What's more, using your videocard's AA in conjunction with the standard in-game AA actually appears to produce slightly better results than using it in conjunction with CM's AA, while requiring noticeably less processing power.

Also, one thing I neglected to mention earlier is that the mod comes with a customised Coalesced.bin that enables the following:

quote:

- Normal Speed : Numpad 1
- 3x Slow : Numpad 2
- 10x Slow : Numpad 3
- Toggle HUD : Numpad 4
- Toggle Flycam : Numpad 5
- Pause/Resume Game: Numpad 6
- Extra armors/outfits.
EDIT: UPDATE 2: For whatever reason, using the custom Coalesced.bin in isolation - i.e. having removed all the mod's other files - still causes a lot of slowdown for me. Possibly this is a system-specific issue, but replacing the file with the old .bin immediately boosts my framerate by something like 50-100%. I should note that my hardware isn't exactly top-of-the-line anymore (Intel Core 2 Q6600 & Radeon HD4890), and I've been testing CM at 1920x1080; if you're on a more modern PC and/or playing at a lower resolution, this mod may not hurt your performance quite as badly as it does for me.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 3, 2012

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
^^ awesome, definitely going to use this as I'm nearing the end of the game. Unless it's horribly unstable on my machine, doubt my 2600k + GTX680 will have much trouble though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wow, tempted to try that graphics mod, I wonder if my piece of poo poo computer can hack it.

Thinking about starting a second career. No import, to see what bullshit changes get made for newbies. And set it to auto-narrative so it's just a bunch of shooty bits interspersed with a vidja game movie. Not sure what class/gender to do though (Soldier and Engineer are out, they're my 'canon' Shep and ManShep).

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

Wow, tempted to try that graphics mod, I wonder if my piece of poo poo computer can hack it.

Thinking about starting a second career. No import, to see what bullshit changes get made for newbies. And set it to auto-narrative so it's just a bunch of shooty bits interspersed with a vidja game movie. Not sure what class/gender to do though (Soldier and Engineer are out, they're my 'canon' Shep and ManShep).

Well, if you are going that route, by not trust to a dice roll for class, and a coin-toss for gender? :haw:

Edit: And lo, I am at the point of no return for my Insanity Engineer. Right now, I have enough EMS (just) for the ending I'm shooting for, but that'd mean playing through the rest of the game right now. Bit too late in the day for that, so multiplayer beckons instead!

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

You also start at level 1 and only get 2 skill points per level instead of 4. Which could be interesting to do, come to think of it. You'd have to either focus on a few talents (no more than 3 or 4), or deal with low ranking talents.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

You also start at level 1 and only get 2 skill points per level instead of 4. Which could be interesting to do, come to think of it. You'd have to either focus on a few talents (no more than 3 or 4), or deal with low ranking talents.

Part of me thinks that'd be a really interesting constraint to work with. Another part of me thinks, 'start an ME3 run without importing a character?! gently caress that!'.
Same as for ME2 :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have a question regarding the PC->360 save utility. Just about every FAQ linked in the OP and relevant threads all seem to be pretty self-explanatory except they all basically begin with "Put Shepard Career Save on USB from Xbox". I never played ME1 or 2 on the 360 so I have no such career or anything. Is there any way to import my ME2 PC save without it or am I poo poo out of luck without an original ME2 career/save on the 360?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

twistedmentat posted:

Entire Blasto run.

This is amazing.

Hahaha

"Has a prothean descended from heaven, because this one would like to enkindle that."

"Badassfully: Hey, that's my sister!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I'm still playing through 3, I just finished Priority: Rannoch so I am pretty close to the end, but in general I haven't seen anything too too tough, playing on Insanity.

Hardest thing so far is 4 brutes on Tuchanka but painting the reaper gets honorable mention.

I'm playing as an infiltrator and trying not to overly stack the time dilation abilities because I'd rather try and pull off the shots in real time. I can't tell if the Black Widow actually does more damage than the Mantis though. I love the Mantis because to me that is what rifles in Mass Effect sound like.

Overall I think the game is probably flatter in terms of difficulty. Since more of the challenge comes from better AI and more shock troops, there's not really as much changing when you dial it up. I had to double-check that I was on insanity when I saw units with no defenses.

• Locked thread