Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

Once your other projects finish, assigning the freed-up construction capacity will bring those complete dates down (if that's what you choose to do).

Yes that is what I would like to do, in keeping with the percentages assigned earlier.

So by next year, we should be able to bring our construction time for the conversions down by a couple of years :toot:

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
TO: R&D

I want Geological Survey Sensors researched as fast as possible, the available TNE minerals on Earth are going to run out soon, especially Neutronium since the commies are also mining it, and we need to win the race for extra-terrestial sources.

After that, we should focus on new engine technologies and possibly spare couple labs for Dr. Donnie to research new armors/shield systems.

Someone who does these things, draft a theoretical survey probe that we can launch around our solar system.

And yes, I'm aware, and slightly worried, of Dr. Slaan's obsession with lasers but those don't really do much if we can't get anything into orbit and can't afford to actually build those things.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Puistokemisti posted:

I want Geological Survey Sensors researched as fast as possible, the available TNE minerals on Earth are going to run out soon, especially Neutronium since the commies are also mining it, and we need to win the race for extra-terrestial sources.

After that, we should focus on new engine technologies and possibly spare couple labs for Dr. Donnie to research new armors/shield systems.

Someone who does these things, draft a theoretical survey probe that we can launch around our solar system.

And yes, I'm aware, and slightly worried, of Dr. Slaan's obsession with lasers but those don't really do much if we can't get anything into orbit and can't afford to actually build those things.

FROM: The Desk of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
CC: UNEC

I like Geological Survey Sensors, but I think we should research Pressurised Water Reactors at the same time. Like a 50/50 split, and onto Thermal Nuclear Missiles and Thermal Nuclear Engines after it is done.

And if at all possible, can we grab Duranium Armour with it all?

TO: UNEC

Voting will begin on Proposal: Mandate for the Department of Defence and Procurement to act upon the newly devised Heavy Fire Doctrine of the UN Interplanetary Navy

I vote Yes

Special consideration: Focus will be given to Carriers over Battleships while we construct the fleet

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yes that is what I would like to do, in keeping with the percentages assigned earlier.

So by next year, we should be able to bring our construction time for the conversions down by a couple of years :toot:

It might have changed, but those construction times will be going down exponentially as you're converting to TNE industry. Since the new industry is ten times as fast as the old one, the actual point value of construction should be accelerating upwards, because you're also increasing the amount of industry that's creating faster industry itself.

In total we might very well shave off a decade from that conversion end date.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
I would like to request that I be assigned to a Civilian Administrator post.

In addition, I would like to request that we focus on getting our colonization operations going as soon as we have rudimentary defenses active.

I'd hate to be the SECOND Governor of Mars.

Also, great thread so far. I literally loaded up this game for the first time today and it just blew me away with complexity.
I mean, it only took me a few hours with Dwarf Fort to figure out how to power waterwheels with blood, but I barely got this game off the ground.
With your informative style, I may just give this game a chance.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Puistokemisti posted:

Gauss Weaponry uses magnets, which are like lasers. They would also be worthwhile research goals, and fit on fighters perfectly. :colbert:

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!

Lord Windy posted:

I like Geological Survey Sensors, but I think we should research Pressurised Water Reactors at the same time. Like a 50/50 split, and onto Thermal Nuclear Missiles and Thermal Nuclear Engines after it is done.

Voting will begin on Proposal: Mandate for the Department of Defence and Procurement to act upon the newly devised Heavy Fire Doctrine of the UN Interplanetary Navy

I vote Yes

Special consideration: Focus will be given to Carriers over Battleships while we construct the fleet

I like the research goals, we need to get out there and grab the resources before the commies take them, we will also be able to build TN missiles which we really need to keep up MAD.

However I do not like the idea of a gun/laser based fleet, unless we research some stealth or shield tech. Without that we have to hope that we can shoot down the enemy missiles or die and I don't really think that giving the enemy the initiative is a good idea. Once we have the engines we'll be ready to build missiles boats, which we should do so, instead of waiting for lasers or other advanced tech that we have no idea how will work on the battlefield.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Enlist me in the ground forces, please.

Done, and added to Current Leaders, much as it pains me to put someone named "SpermCube" in the game.

Lord Windy posted:

Like this?

I can juggle those around if you like.

Red Mike posted:

It might have changed, but those construction times will be going down exponentially as you're converting to TNE industry. Since the new industry is ten times as fast as the old one, the actual point value of construction should be accelerating upwards, because you're also increasing the amount of industry that's creating faster industry itself.

In total we might very well shave off a decade from that conversion end date.

This is a very good point as well. The formulas for estimated completion date only take into account your construction capacity at this instant, and assume it will stay constant. Those dates will definitely start ticking down.

PokeWarVeteran posted:

I would like to request that I be assigned to a Civilian Administrator post.

In addition, I would like to request that we focus on getting our colonization operations going as soon as we have rudimentary defenses active.

I'd hate to be the SECOND Governor of Mars.

Also, great thread so far. I literally loaded up this game for the first time today and it just blew me away with complexity.
I mean, it only took me a few hours with Dwarf Fort to figure out how to power waterwheels with blood, but I barely got this game off the ground.
With your informative style, I may just give this game a chance.

Sadly, we only started with three civ admins, but you're first in line for the next one to show up.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm trying to be both informative and entertaining. In the research posts, (almost) everything in italics is my own spin on how Trans-Newtonian technology is incorporated into those areas. TNEs are Steve's handwavium plot device that allows the game to do things the way it does, but I'm trying to provide a narrative more grounded in reality and science, and its been fun to write those things.

Also, and I'm half-surprised no one brought this up, but as far as me controlling the Federation, I put my orders for the next time advancement in before I start posting updates for you guys, to avoid being influenced by your decisions. Obviously I want to maintain the challenge and an interesting narrative for you guys, so I won't hesitate to grease the wheels a little if necessary, but I won't be out-and-out cheating, have no fear.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 3, 2012

Zyrden
Mar 25, 2012

Climbing gear.
Eurasian Federation Flag

I have no photoshop skills, so I had to trace the outline of that drat bird with a pixel brush. :saddowns:

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Firstly, i'd like to say thank you, bgreman, for taking the time to explain this sprawling... thing.

Secondly, the game's obsession with putting TNE's into absolutely everything amuses me in the same way that Space Pirates phazon obsession does, even if Aurora's magic space rocks usually do improve things.

:science: "Yeah, when we put duranium into the railgun rounds, it really brought down performance."
:v: "So, why not just make the bullets without any TNEs?"
:science: "I don't understand the question."

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

bgreman posted:

Also, and I'm half-surprised no one brought this up, but as far as me controlling the Federation, I put my orders for the next time advancement in before I start posting updates for you guys, to avoid being influenced by your decisions. Obviously I want to maintain the challenge and an interesting narrative for you guys, so I won't hesitate to grease the wheels a little if necessary, but I won't be out-and-out cheating, have no fear.

Everyone probably realised that you aren't playing to win. Even if you put your turn in before asking for ours, you still know everything we do while we kinda have no idea what Federation is doing, we are five people trying democratically design space ships with five different ideas about what we should be doing next, have very little idea of what ship builds/weapons are actually good and as we keep appointing goons as colonial admins, we will probably need to glass couple of them in the future to keep the rest in line. So we have slight disadvantage here.

And yeah, thanks for doing this.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Enlist me in the Naval Forces!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ceebees posted:

Firstly, i'd like to say thank you, bgreman, for taking the time to explain this sprawling... thing.

Secondly, the game's obsession with putting TNE's into absolutely everything amuses me in the same way that Space Pirates phazon obsession does, even if Aurora's magic space rocks usually do improve things.

:science: "Yeah, when we put duranium into the railgun rounds, it really brought down performance."
:v: "So, why not just make the bullets without any TNEs?"
:science: "I don't understand the question."

Haha, the game doesn't give any explanation for any of this stuff. All of the italic flavor text in the tech descriptions is my interpretation of why, all of a sudden, having TNEs allows people to build weaponized lasers and railguns when they couldn't before, and why certain techs work the (counterintuitive) way they do.

I'm proud of the ICEF concept though.

Vander posted:

I want to fly a ships.

Done.

Zyrden posted:

Eurasian Federation Flag

I have no photoshop skills, so I had to trace the outline of that drat bird with a pixel brush. :saddowns:

I really like this one.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 3, 2012

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Ceebees posted:

:science:

Oh, simple, the TNE coating is needed to cloak the slug's presence from sensors, otherwise the target ship's computers could detect it far away enough that they could shape the ICEF shields to deflect incoming slugs instead of having to try to absorb the energy from the impact.

At least, that's my excuse.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

bgreman posted:

In the research posts, (almost) everything in italics is my own spin on how Trans-Newtonian technology is incorporated into those areas. TNEs are Steve's handwavium plot device that allows the game to do things the way it does, but I'm trying to provide a narrative more grounded in reality and science, and its been fun to write those things.

Unless I'm mistaken, jump theory was already in canon as lagrange points having some interaction with TNEs or something, rather than wormholes of some sort. I don't mind this theory at all, it even doesn't make sense the other way in most cases.

Something I like to do in my games, and would like to bring to light towards the people handling the decision-making, is having one or two constant research projects in my list. Basically, I'll generally appoint a scientist focused on Construction and Production to work on Research Rate, with only 5 labs or less, and use the rest for whatever I'm doing. This doesn't generally happen until I've got all the tech I need to make the first barebones ships and geological sensors (since that's an actual emergency sometimes), but I find that the steady, slow increase in annual RP is incredibly useful even in the early game. Even the first step might not finish for a decade, depending on the bonus, but it's worth it sometimes. I also occasionally do this with Construction Rate, depending on what I'm planning.

It's a useful technique, and you all might want to consider it, depending on your intentions. Keep in mind it'll mean slower research for the short term, since 1-5 labs would be gone.

Jaramr
Dec 16, 2010
Woah, hold on, im in charge of naming things? Its like X3 all over again!

Anyways, I think we should use Eurasian cities as reporting names for various Eurasian ships, with the history of the city representing the type of ship. Example: The Beijing, being the old chinese capital, would be suited for a large capital ship, possibly a battleship due to its large population. Whereas the St. Petersburg (Or Leningrad :ussr:) would be more suited to a carrier due to it having a major port.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

bgreman posted:

Haha, the game doesn't give any explanation for any of this stuff. All of the italic flavor text in the tech descriptions is my interpretation of why, all of a sudden, having TNEs allows people to build weaponized lasers and railguns when they couldn't before, and why certain techs work the (counterintuitive) way they do.

I'm proud of the ICEF concept though.

Oh, well, then consider it a compliment that i assumed your tech fluff was official?
As long as i'm occupying space in the thread, i might as well apply for a naval position so i can occupy space in the game. (ha ha, space puns)

Jaramr posted:

Woah, hold on, im in charge of naming things? Its like X3 all over again!

If i remember how Reporting Names work, i'm pretty sure that you're in charge of naming classes of enemy machines, not individual vehicles?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Red Mike posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, jump theory was already in canon as lagrange points having some interaction with TNEs or something, rather than wormholes of some sort. I don't mind this theory at all, it even doesn't make sense the other way in most cases.

Actually, the one I used for Jump Point Theory and the one I used for Trans-Newtonian Technology are the only non-original ones. It's a slightly modified version of the official story of Trans-Newtonian element discovery and jump point theory discovery from one of Steve's own AARs, copied almost verbatim from the Aurora wiki. Definitely wormholes. Jump gates are wormhole stabilization devices.

What you're thinking of is Lagrange points trailing superjovian planets, which allow jumping to other similar points in the same system without a jump engine. (Which is something I probably should have added to that tech entry).

Ceebees posted:

As long as i'm occupying space in the thread, i might as well apply for a naval position so i can occupy space in the game. (ha ha, space puns)

If i remember how Reporting Names work, i'm pretty sure that you're in charge of naming classes of enemy machines, not individual vehicles?

You're in (I've been just going down the seniority list for commanders, and it happens that you're the Public Affairs Officer for Fleet Headquarters, you lucky dog you), and yes, reporting names are assigned to classes. So the Beijing-class cruiser, and the St. Petersburg-class carrier. Individual instances would be Beijing-class 001, etc.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 3, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lord Windy posted:

I vote Yes

TO: Director of Defense and Procurement
FROM: Director of Commercial Shipping, Design, and Transport

Not sure if I fully understand this Heavy Fire Doctrine. A tentative yes from me, but a brief explanation would be appreciated.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Lord Windy posted:

There has been no major issues raised about this and I cannot myself think any better solutions so I am approving this, Yes.

The carrier question can be postponed until construction of capital class becomes viable and we know more about the needs of our fleets.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
RE: Heavy Fire Doctrine

Yes.

TO: UNSAAB

bgreman posted:

Can we juggle PP and SF around so that they complete at around the same time?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Puistokemisti posted:

There has been no major issues raised about this and I cannot myself think any better solutions so I am approving this, Yes.

The carrier question can be postponed until construction of capital class becomes viable and we know more about the needs of our fleets.

Yeah you guys are forgetting something:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

bgreman posted:

The plan calls for starting the fleet construction with <1000 ton ships, so wouldn't those fit in the slipway. I have no idea what I'm missing here.

Unless those amounts are in kgs instead of tons, in which case why do we have a shipyard that couldn't fit even a car.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

How the heck did the I.S.S's slipway get to be so huge?

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!

Puistokemisti posted:

The plan calls for starting the fleet construction with <1000 ton ships, so wouldn't those fit in the slipway. I have no idea what I'm missing here.

Unless those amounts are in kgs instead of tons, in which case why do we have a shipyard that couldn't fit even a car.

1000 tons is extremely small for a ship in Aurora, for reference my standard Geosurvey scout is 1,850 tons, my standard Missile Frigate is ~10 000 tons and my standard cargo ship is 28,550 tons.

Also, can I be a scientist, preferably in Missile and Kinetic weapons? (someone needs to counter this rampant laser obsession!)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Space me!

Also, I think ISS builds non-military ships only.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

MagicBoots posted:

1000 tons is extremely small for a ship in Aurora, for reference my standard Geosurvey scout is 1,850 tons, my standard Missile Frigate is ~10 000 tons and my standard cargo ship is 28,550 tons.

Also, can I be a scientist, preferably in Missile and Kinetic weapons? (someone needs to counter this rampant laser obsession!)

I agree! Let's get Robotech all up in here and spam missiles.

Honestly, I think we should have long-term plans for both a large missile boat (if we can devise fast enough missiles that don't require us to be point-blank with the enemy) and also a kind of missile fighter to act as a bomber. Of course, I'm just a government type, not a soldier... and I haven't even graduated from the Academy yet.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Puistokemisti posted:

I was just noting that grandiose dreams of "battleship" vs. "carrier" doctrine are probably rather a far way out when the biggest thing you can build right now is just over 1000 tons. I'll probably write a shipyard update tomorrow, which will complete the bottom row of tabs on the Population and Production Screen.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

How the heck did the I.S.S's slipway get to be so huge?

I noted in a prior update that since the base capacity for a commercial shipyard is 10,000 tonnes, I'd update your shipyard to that base value to avoid having to build a new shipyard to get the free capacity.

MagicBoots posted:

You don't get to pick your specialty, but you're our fifth and final starting scientist. Further scientist requests will go in the queue. There are still 9 naval officers and 3 ground force officer slots open.

PokeWarVeteran posted:

... and I haven't even graduated from the Academy yet.

This is an excellent rationalization of the waiting lists and I thank you for it.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 3, 2012

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I'd like to sign up as a naval officer, then.

Also, I agree that Kinetic weapons are cooler than lasers. As proof, have a video of bullets in slow motion.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
From U.N Industrial Command
RE: Heavy Fire Doctrine

Yes vote.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Morrow posted:

Space me!

Also, I think ISS builds non-military ships only.

I'm assuming this means you want to be a naval commander. In which case: done.

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!

bgreman posted:

You don't get to pick your specialty, but you're our fifth and final starting scientist..

Thanks!

Re: Missile Shield

All this bullheaded talk of carriers and death rays is ignoring the threat at hand. We can only assume that the commies have a comparable nuclear capability to us and while there has been plenty of discussion over offensive systems there has been nothing on their defensive counterparts!

I propose that once the first generation of TNE missile engines and sensors has left R&D we immediately begin research into a missile defense shield (AMMs) and heavier armor. We can then refit our conventional missile bases to include these systems.

Let's end this MAD stalemate:black101:!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
To: UNEC

Industrial Command would like inquire into the feasibility of using unmanned drone to scout the solar system for resources. While we will need a manned presence in space, sooner as preferred to later, given that we already have a missile firing system in place, would it be possible to retrofit some missiles to launch unmanned drones into space and have them scan for our needed TNEs? If it is possible it may alleviate some of the burden for scanning the various asteroids and gas giant moons in our solar system.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Jimmy4400nav posted:

To: UNEC

Industrial Command would like inquire into the feasibility of using unmanned drone to scout the solar system for resources. While we will need a manned presence in space, sooner as preferred to later, given that we already have a missile firing system in place, would it be possible to retrofit some missiles to launch unmanned drones into space and have them scan for our needed TNEs? If it is possible it may alleviate some of the burden for scanning the various asteroids and gas giant moons in our solar system.

To: UN Department of Industry
RE: Survey drone feasibility

This should be a rather easy task to accomplish, although we'd need the following, at bare minimum:

1. A missile drone design capable of reaching the targets.
  2. A buoy design fitted with reactors and geological sensors.
    1. Reactor technology
    2. Geological sensor technology
  3. A launch complex (PDC) capable of launching the missile drone and payload.
    1. A missile launcher capable of firing the drone
    2. A guidance system (missile fire control) capable of firing the missile.
      1. Active Grav Sensor technology

For this task, we'd ideally design the buoy first, then the drone bus. Once we had a completed missile, we could simultaneously develop the launcher and fire control that would be used to launch. It is also possible that we may be able to co-opt one of the ICBM complexes and use its launcher and fire control, but we'd be forced to align with its launcher configuration.

We recommend waiting for the reactor and geological sensor technology, as they are prerequisites for this plan anyway. The only other prerequisite for the standalone complex would be the active grav sensor tech.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 3, 2012

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
So wait... can you slap whatever you want to together and hope it works, no matter how useless it may be?
Like... making missiles with crew quarters or a "siege fleet" basically composed of terraformer ships designed to pollute the air until the population dies out?

I think my inner dorf is starting to run wild with ideas. Wish I was here to run for a Council spot.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

PokeWarVeteran posted:

I think my inner dorf is starting to run wild with ideas. Wish I was here to run for a Council spot.

Keep following the thread then! We're open to suggestions, and policymakers may have to step down in the future. Plus, you could always sign up for a spot as a colony governor. I may be wrong, but I think it's up to them to implement the policies we put forward.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Keep following the thread then! We're open to suggestions, and policymakers may have to step down in the future. Plus, you could always sign up for a spot as a colony governor. I may be wrong, but I think it's up to them to implement the policies we put forward.

Already applied and added to the waiting list.

So you CAN do stuff like I suggested?

How hard would it be to alter the tolerances of the drat commies to make living on Earth difficult? How hard in comparison would it be to alter US and simultaneously terraform Earth to our new tolerance, leaving the commies out in the (proverbial and literal) cold?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there any chance we could get a flowchart of the UN offices? I'm a bit confused about who's who and what's what.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

PokeWarVeteran posted:

So wait... can you slap whatever you want to together and hope it works, no matter how useless it may be?
Like... making missiles with crew quarters or a "siege fleet" basically composed of terraformer ships designed to pollute the air until the population dies out?

Missiles aren't designed the same way as ships, and you can't put crew quarters on them, but other than that you can do pretty much anything you want with the designer. One of the wackier missile examples I've seen was a 750 ton, 5 stage missile that had a 5 ton last stage; it was capable of hitting Pluto from Earth.

Offensive terraforming is a real tactic in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Bremen posted:

Missiles aren't designed the same way as ships,

Awwwww. I wanted to suggest making meat bombs with captured commies/evil races/anything that pisses us off. Ah well, can't have everything, I guess.

quote:

Offensive terraforming is a real tactic in this game.

Awesome. I figured I wasn't the first to envision this tactic.

• Locked thread