Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Add another user of unblock-us who loves it. The only major hassle I had was that I needed to delete and then re-download the Netflix app on my PS3 because the Canadian and US versions of the app are different. Also, I can't rent movies off the PS3 Store anymore (it gives me a DNS error message) but I'm not even certain that it's related and now that I have access to Vudu I don't miss it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?

Bonzo posted:

What are my options, other than Bell or Rogers, in Cambridge, ON? I currently have TechSavvy DSL but it can't go any faster then 5mb because of old phones lines. I don't want to move to TS cable yet because they seem to have many, many issues and Kitchener is currently in a stop sell.

I don't play any games but I do download and stream quite a bit.

Its expensive but can you get mlppp with 2 x 5M dsl connections on a load balancing router?
That would give you 10/1.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Rawrbomb posted:

I believe they run a custom geo-location database to always identify their customers to the targeted zone of the website. Since the geolocation reports a valid acepted location, you don't get locked out.

I'd kill for a reasonable internet service with decent upload speeds in canada that is also not stupidly capped for bw.

This really depends where you live.

http://shaw.ca/Internet/Broadband-100/

100/10 is rather good internet now the cap usage isn't the best but there is an unlimited package in the 250/15 level i can't really think of a reason you need 250 down for a house but they have it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What are some other sites to check out other than the usual ones for someone experiencing US DNS access for the first time?

My list so far:
  • Netflix
  • Hulu - disappointing, only the last 5 episodes without being hulu plus? weak.
  • Amazon - will they let you download movies/music or do they go by your CC information to lock you out?
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • NHL Gamecentre - screw you, regional blackouts!

Any other good recs?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
How come TekSavvy Cable upload speeds are so anemic? I'm assuming this is something they're limited to by Rogers?

1mbit seems kind of pathetic when I'm getting 28 down. I'm not asking for synchronous here, but you'd think 2mbit up would be the minimum these days.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

This really depends where you live.

http://shaw.ca/Internet/Broadband-100/

100/10 is rather good internet now the cap usage isn't the best but there is an unlimited package in the 250/15 level i can't really think of a reason you need 250 down for a house but they have it.

I'm in Mississauga when I am in canada, and will be for the forseable future. I'm pretty sure shaw isn't in our area.

DarkJC posted:

How come TekSavvy Cable upload speeds are so anemic? I'm assuming this is something they're limited to by Rogers?

1mbit seems kind of pathetic when I'm getting 28 down. I'm not asking for synchronous here, but you'd think 2mbit up would be the minimum these days.

TekSavvy cable is limited by the ISP's. If you look at rogers own packages, their 75mb down package, is only 2mbit up.

priznat posted:

What are some other sites to check out other than the usual ones for someone experiencing US DNS access for the first time?

My list so far:
  • Netflix
  • Hulu - disappointing, only the last 5 episodes without being hulu plus? weak.
  • Amazon - will they let you download movies/music or do they go by your CC information to lock you out?
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • NHL Gamecentre - screw you, regional blackouts!

Any other good recs?

For most amazon's digital services, its all credit card stuff that I am aware of. I've had to use a proxy of some sort, a few times. Same with Origin. (though my credit cards are US, not canadian).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DarkJC posted:

For cable providers, and somewhat but less so for DSL, all the costs are in the upstream channel. The transmitting equipment is the end users modem, which is going to be lower cost, lower power, less efficient, and much 'noiser' than head end equipment. The upstream channel must therefore be quieter and 'wider' than the downstream channels. Most users also favour downloading heavily over uploading, and the end result is that only a small amount of the available spectrum is allocated for 'upstream' usage, and it costs a lot of money to allocate more of it to less users, because you have to cut the users up into smaller and smaller groups.

Rogers is just being cheap, really, but the DOCSIS standard also doesn't offer a lot of cost effective solutions here. Teksavvy can only offer plans that Rogers offers (by law) and is doing what it can.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2EJJ8BCfCg&hd=1

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you use Teksavvy you just find partners on fetlife :twisted:

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
I took advantage of Teksavvy/Bell's waived installation charges and went with their 25/7Mbit service. The installer arrived 20 minutes after the 12:00-9:00 window with the technician doing the line card swap on speaker phone. He had the job done and the new modem synching about 20 minutes later.

As a bonus the Cellpipe modem that Bell supplied isn't an unstable piece of poo poo.

Renting a modem sucks, but otherwise the experience has been great.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

DuckConference posted:

How does it work? I see that they use custom DNS servers, does it redirect you to a caching proxy they run or something when you hit a supported URL?

Based on what I've read, the DNS server will actually point a URL to a proxy if it determines that the URL leads to a location-sensitive site. So for example, if you go to netflix.com, it won't resolve to the netflix server IP, but instead to an unblock us proxy.

I don't know if Amazon is super strict on their region restrictions. I was able to buy a downloadable game using a Canadian credit card, and I had no problems watching the streams during my free prime trial.

e: annoyingly, there are some movies on netflix Canada that aren't available on netflix US. Fortunately, the mac interface to switching DNS servers is drag and drop, whereas on my windows desktop, I had to reenter the IP every time.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

rawrr posted:

Based on what I've read, the DNS server will actually point a URL to a proxy if it determines that the URL leads to a location-sensitive site. So for example, if you go to netflix.com, it won't resolve to the netflix server IP, but instead to an unblock us proxy.

I don't know if Amazon is super strict on their region restrictions. I was able to buy a downloadable game using a Canadian credit card, and I had no problems watching the streams during my free prime trial.

e: annoyingly, there are some movies on netflix Canada that aren't available on netflix US. Fortunately, the mac interface to switching DNS servers is drag and drop, whereas on my windows desktop, I had to reenter the IP every time.

You could set up batch files to change the DNS server on your windows computer I think.

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.200

Replace "Local Area Connection" with whatever yours is called and the IP address with the DNS server you want to use. Have one file to set the US dns and another to set the canadian DNS.

I haven't tried this personally so I don't know if you'd need to stop/start the network connection or not for the change to take affect. Or even if the command fully works. I just pulled it off this page: http://www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_from_cmd.htm

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey, so I just moved out to Vancouver/Richmond, looking at my apartments and stuff this week, and wanted t ask about either Distributel/Teksavvy cable. If I get the 25/2 setup, will DOCSIS 2 modems work fine? Wiki says D2 supports up to 32Mbps, but I already know how accurate '100% with no problems' estimates are.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If I were you I would just get a new DOCSIS 3 modem. As the wiki said, maybe a DOCSIS 2 will be just fine for now, but what if the speed of the package increases later? Just buy a solid DOCSIS 3 modem now and be set. Plus usually there's some kind of deal if you buy a modem from them at the time of activation, like a waived activation fee or something.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StealthArcher posted:

Hey, so I just moved out to Vancouver/Richmond, looking at my apartments and stuff this week, and wanted t ask about either Distributel/Teksavvy cable. If I get the 25/2 setup, will DOCSIS 2 modems work fine? Wiki says D2 supports up to 32Mbps, but I already know how accurate '100% with no problems' estimates are.

When I worked at Teksavvy we made it clear to customers you'd average 16Mbps with DOCSIS 2 modems. We had a few cases of people being fine but it was rare.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

rawrr posted:

unblock us uses geoip location tables to falseify reports. There isn't any other magic to it.

So when someone goes to netflix.com out of the us, with unblock us. Netflix queries the users dns servers to get it to report the users location, unblockus just reports everyone as in the USA. Thus, it works. Its not magic.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DarkJC posted:

If I were you I would just get a new DOCSIS 3 modem. As the wiki said, maybe a DOCSIS 2 will be just fine for now, but what if the speed of the package increases later? Just buy a solid DOCSIS 3 modem now and be set. Plus usually there's some kind of deal if you buy a modem from them at the time of activation, like a waived activation fee or something.

Distributel and TS only sell a D2 modem, so off to amazon/newegg I go then. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Hmm, Teksavvy's list of approved modems are all D2, this gonna cause any problems?

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 3, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StealthArcher posted:

Distributel and TS only sell a D2 modem, so off to amazon/newegg I go then. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Hmm, Teksavvy's list of approved modems are all D2, this gonna cause any problems?

For BC? It shouldn't be...

I guess it is. That's surprising.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
In Bc they only support the dociss 2 modems but I have no problems going the full bitcap of the 25 mbit connection sometimes even a bit more.

The modem they use does support 38mbit according to the manual

I can't recommend Teksavvy as they rape you on everything but the monthly charge

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Sprawl posted:

I can't recommend Teksavvy as they rape you on everything but the monthly charge

As someone that has yet to have any issue whatsoever with teksavvy I disagree.

If anyone is doing this "raping" you speak of it's whoever teksavvy has to deal with to get the last mile to your home.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I use Teksavvy as well, but they really do seem to rape you pretty good with some service changes.
Going from 5Mbit to 16Mbit without even needing another modem purchase for some reason cost me $192 (with the actual monthly rate of about $52 included). This was mentioned up-front before I could accept the service change, so they won't surprise you or anything. But it was still kind of BS to me.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kachunkachunk posted:

I use Teksavvy as well, but they really do seem to rape you pretty good with some service changes.
Going from 5Mbit to 16Mbit without even needing another modem purchase for some reason cost me $192 (with the actual monthly rate of about $52 included). This was mentioned up-front before I could accept the service change, so they won't surprise you or anything. But it was still kind of BS to me.

If you mean the $99 start up charge, that's Bell raping Teksavvy and Teksavvy just passing it along. You can't expect them to just swallow that hit every time they want a new fibre line customer.

I recently noticed they are finally charging $65 for cable activation. Interesting fact is that it was always a $65 charge and Teksavvy took a $20 hit on every new sign up, $40 for ones who purchased a modem though TSI (they made more profit on modem sales). Now it's just a $20 hit if someone buy a modem through Teksavvy.

Most of this stuff came about due to the CRTC ruling. The one thing that Teksavvy themselves did that I didn't like was they gave CSRs a data sheet of what the changes would be and when the day came for the company to change the prices, suddenly there were all of these new charges we were never told about like the $8 rental fee for 25mbps modems. I doubt it was a last minute decision but they had us all assuring customers that those were going to be the only changes and the day comes and suddenly it was a lot worse. At least I can tell you that wasn't Rocky's decision.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 4, 2012

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Septimus posted:

As someone that has yet to have any issue whatsoever with teksavvy I disagree.

If anyone is doing this "raping" you speak of it's whoever teksavvy has to deal with to get the last mile to your home.

No they charge you a $100 install fee, the charge you at the beginning of each billing cycle instead of the end like a normal loving company, and they throw out the $100 fee if something is wrong and a tech can't find anything wrong when poo poo is hosed up. gently caress them and everything they do.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sprawl posted:

No they charge you a $100 install fee, the charge you at the beginning of each billing cycle instead of the end like a normal loving company, and they throw out the $100 fee if something is wrong and a tech can't find anything wrong when poo poo is hosed up. gently caress them and everything they do.

As explained before, the install fee is from Rogers (at least most of it). The fact that they charge you at the beginning of the billing cycle is due to the fact that you're not locked in. Any other normal loving company would lock you in for 1-2 year contract (have fun paying the early dismissal fee), therefore they can afford to charge you at the end of the billing cycle.

And the technician fee ... again, is not theirs is Rogers'/Bell's.

Now, Teksavvy is just a company, their primary goal is to make money, just like Rogers or Bell. The good part about them is that they're still too small to be evil, unlike the 2 big ones. Once they'll grow to Rogers size, maybe they'll be just as evil. So far they are providing (for me) a better and cheaper internet service (hey, I can play WoW :), and download 300GB of poo poo per month ).

Then again...you don't have to like them, you have a "lot" of choices for your ISP.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

rhag posted:

As explained before, the install fee is from Rogers (at least most of it). The fact that they charge you at the beginning of the billing cycle is due to the fact that you're not locked in. Any other normal loving company would lock you in for 1-2 year contract (have fun paying the early dismissal fee), therefore they can afford to charge you at the end of the billing cycle.

And the technician fee ... again, is not theirs is Rogers'/Bell's.

Now, Teksavvy is just a company, their primary goal is to make money, just like Rogers or Bell. The good part about them is that they're still too small to be evil, unlike the 2 big ones. Once they'll grow to Rogers size, maybe they'll be just as evil. So far they are providing (for me) a better and cheaper internet service (hey, I can play WoW :), and download 300GB of poo poo per month ).

Then again...you don't have to like them, you have a "lot" of choices for your ISP.

No they aren't too small to be evil they hosed me hard when i setup my account they prebilled me $300 before the account was even working and it took 2 weeks to get it working. So gently caress them and everything they do.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Sprawl posted:

No they aren't too small to be evil they hosed me hard when i setup my account they prebilled me $300 before the account was even working and it took 2 weeks to get it working. So gently caress them and everything they do.

That's weird. $300 prebilled? It's as though you've dealt with an alternate reality evil teksavvy. I and everyone I know that uses teksavvy have had zero issues and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Then again, everyone I know bought their own modems and handled set up on their end, no technician required. All teksavvy had to do is get (pay) bell/rogers to flip a switch.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
It would make sense to me if they offered some kind of contract for those that can't or don't want to pay all the fees upfront. Or offer some kind of "tab" system like Koodoo and Wind.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 4, 2012

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Sorry you had a bad experience with Teksavvy dude but contrary to what you might think that doesn't mean the company is universally evil. gently caress ups happen.

Personally I've had nothing but a great experience with them since I switched over in March.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Septimus posted:

That's weird. $300 prebilled? It's as though you've dealt with an alternate reality evil teksavvy. I and everyone I know that uses teksavvy have had zero issues and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Then again, everyone I know bought their own modems and handled set up on their end, no technician required. All teksavvy had to do is get (pay) bell/rogers to flip a switch.

It was like 3 or 4 sucessive fuckups before the account was setup.

Back when i tried to setup my account they still listed Dociss 3 modem for BC and i tried to order one of those. And they prebilled $110 or w/e it was for it then the $100 install fee.

Then without calling me or telling me whats going on they charged me another $75 or 80 dollars to order a dociss 2 modem because the dociss 3 modem they use dont work on the shaw network. But they didn't tell me about this they just went ahead and did it. Then i called them up and asked what the hell, they said on were are going to refund you but they never did.

I called them up 2 weeks later after they billed my credit card again for the month of service after they got their poo poo sorted out and loving got it installed which was a loving gong show of 3 days of installers being retarded and doing stupid things, not showing up or not having parts or keys.

And they the issued a company credit on the modem bill because they said they couldn't refund it directly i just hung up on the stupid fucker because gently caress them in their stupid faces.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sprawl posted:

Teksavvy cannot get the incumbents to set up a service unless Teksavvy pays for it first.

Honestly, Teksavvy should do a better job explaining this to dumb people but that's the failure of their marketing/advertising/website more than anything. Anyone with the ability to understand that a Third Party Internet Access Provider is at the whim of the incumbents tends to be patient and understand when issues come up.

It's too bad I don't work there anymore. I wish I got your call. I likely would have laughed while you sperged and raged.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Teksavvy cannot get the incumbents to set up a service unless Teksavvy pays for it first.

Honestly, Teksavvy should do a better job explaining this to dumb people but that's the failure of their marketing/advertising/website more than anything. Anyone with the ability to understand that a Third Party Internet Access Provider is at the whim of the incumbents tends to be patient and understand when issues come up.

It's too bad I don't work there anymore. I wish I got your call. I likely would have laughed while you sperged and raged.

If they are a business, an actual loving business they have 30 day net terms with everyone they deal with including the cable companies, and your customers. If they can't loving work the cash flow then they dont deserve to exist as a company.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sprawl posted:

If they are a business, an actual loving business they have 30 day net terms with everyone they deal with including the cable companies, and your customers. If they can't loving work the cash flow then they dont deserve to exist as a company.

Then why did you sign up? The terms are clearly spelled out before you commit to anything.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Bonzo posted:

Then why did you sign up? The terms are clearly spelled out before you commit to anything.

oh i was ready for the $200 pre billed and everything was fine on the first call it was the next $150 pre billed and the following trainwreck of installation that ruined it for me.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sprawl posted:

oh i was ready for the $200 pre billed and everything was fine on the first call it was the next $150 pre billed and the following trainwreck of installation that ruined it for me.

The installation from your local telco that TSI has no control over?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there a thread for Canadian streaming video? The Netflix threads are mainly geared towards America.

I recently signed up for a free Netflix.ca trial and I'm enjoying it, just curious what other options are out there. I guess I could sign up for that US-proxy site and use Hulu/Netflix.com ?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Is there a thread for Canadian streaming video? The Netflix threads are mainly geared towards America.

I recently signed up for a free Netflix.ca trial and I'm enjoying it, just curious what other options are out there. I guess I could sign up for that US-proxy site and use Hulu/Netflix.com ?

That's pretty much your only option aside from that gigantic ripoff that Rogers provides.

There's a wealth of good stuff on Netflix making it worth the $8 per month but you just have to watch things when you want to watch and not hold them off for a month. Because they might be gone after.

My favourite part of Netflix is the wealth of documentaries, British television and overlooked/cult movies. Worst part is a horrid lack of good Canadian content (it's basically just Kids in the Hall. Where's Reboot, Hardcore Logo, Made in Canada, Smoggies, Are you Afraid of the Dark, etc.?), some weak choices on new releases and a dog poo poo selection of comedies/stand up specials. I do like how they add failed TV shows. That's cool.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I noticed that the main website of unblock-us pretty much removes all information regarding what most people would plan to do with it, including within the testimonials. I wonder if they got in trouble somewhere or what was the reasoning for it.

Sprawl posted:

oh i was ready for the $200 pre billed and everything was fine....
This was like the 5th time you had a ragefest in this thread over the fact that TekSavvy prebilled you and how no legitimate business would ever do that, and then when people call you on it you claim it actually wasn't an issue. At the very least, be consistent if you're going to continue to harp on this point.

Lone Rogue posted:

Worst part is a horrid lack of good Canadian content (it's basically just Kids in the Hall. Where's Reboot, Hardcore Logo, Made in Canada, Smoggies, Are you Afraid of the Dark, etc.?), some weak choices on new releases and a dog poo poo selection of comedies/stand up specials. I do like how they add failed TV shows. That's cool.
The reason why they don't have good Canadian content and why their selection is lacking compared to the US go hand in hand - Canadian license holders are terrible and unreasonable to deal with, especially since most have pretty strong ties to traditional services like Rogers in the first place. It's the same reason why so many ebooks on the Amazon store have the "not available in Canada" caveat once you go to checkout, and why it took forever for the PS3 video store to launch here.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 10, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Watching TV shows is 90% of my viewing, not really into movies as much. Would Unblock-US + US Netflix be better than the Canadian version for TV series? I know they have different content, just curious if the US selection blows ours out of the water or something

Edit: I'm reading about this and now I see that a Canadian Netflix account can access the American content if you use a VPN like UnblockUS. Interesting, I'll have to try that out. I was looking into it a year ago but didn't like the idea of signing up for a US Netflix account.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 10, 2012

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Everyone I know uses that unblock us thing and they make me so jealous! I'm too scared to do it because it seems like rule breaking (not sure) or lying or something but man they see all these crazy shows and it drives a guy nuts hearing about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Paul Coffey posted:

Everyone I know uses that unblock us thing and they make me so jealous! I'm too scared to do it because it seems like rule breaking (not sure) or lying or something but man they see all these crazy shows and it drives a guy nuts hearing about it!

It allows you to see anything a Netflix or Hulu user would, specifically ads. Much more legal then something like IceFilms where you were accessing pirated material for free.