Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
Flukes are great and we use them at work but check out Beckman as another quality meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok, my HF racing jack is now in the dumpster. What is a decent jack that will last me more than a year? My main complaint with the HF jack was the low height (and crap construction).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wav3form posted:

Flukes are great and we use them at work but check out Beckman as another quality meter.

Agreed - and my B&K 2860A Survivor lives up to its name too. I've done all manner of stupid poo poo to that thing and it still works fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

revmoo posted:

Ok, my HF racing jack is now in the dumpster. What is a decent jack that will last me more than a year? My main complaint with the HF jack was the low height (and crap construction).

I'm curious what happened to yours? Mine just failed recently as well.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

wav3form posted:

Extech makes some very good meters, too; their pro models are very nearly fluke quality, but without the fluke-tax. I use this one a lot. Its voltage measurements have always been within a tenth of a percent when I've checked against calibrated flukes. My only complaint is that the clamp ammeter isn't sensitive enough to accurately read low currents (less than 1A).

If you're looking for really cheap, I've been happy with this one from Wal-Mart. It's got a non-contact voltage sensor, too, which is rare in cheap multimeters.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 3, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Motronic posted:

Analog ones? You do realize they need to be adjusted/zeroed, right?

No they're digital and I have no idea how to calibrate a $5 HF multimeter.

grover posted:

Extech makes some very good meters, too; their pro models are very nearly fluke quality, but without the fluke-tax. I use this one a lot. Its voltage measurements have always been within a tenth of a percentage when I've checked against calibrated flukes. My only complain is that the clamp ammeter isn't sensitive enough to accurately read low currents (less than 1A).

If you're looking for really cheap, I've been happy with this one from Wal-Mart. It's got a non-contact voltage sensor, too, which is rare in cheap multimeters.

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about the Extechs. I was hoping to keep it around $50 though.

Any qualms with Equus? I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.amazonsupply.com/dp/B000EVYGZA?ref_=goo_pf_B000EVYGZA

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 3, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Upon further review I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get an Extech.

The 330 looks fairly capable but for just a few bucks more I think I'd rather get the 420. It's more accurate, can handle 2x the amperage, and loses the stupid "voltage detector" function.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

revmoo posted:

A couple of pages back I and another poster mentioned a low height 3.5 ton jack sold by Costco. They can be used as assault tanks, heavy as hell but are pretty much industrial shop quality.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The Arcan? I really really want it.

EDIT: I actually would have bought it like 2 hours ago but shipping was 80 bucks and Prime wouldn't cover it.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 3, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just bought the HF 4ton 100lb jack. Fucker is a BEAST :D

It looks identical to the Arcan 35xl, I think it's probably the same jack from a Chinese supplier.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/25-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68049.html

I just bought that and it rules. Super low profile (2 3/4") and cranks up and is solid and heavy. Good buy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think the "rapid pump" on both of the aluminum ones I've had have been bullshit. No way it's jacking to full height in 3-4 pumps. Not even double that.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

DreamOn13 posted:

I think the "rapid pump" on both of the aluminum ones I've had have been bullshit. No way it's jacking to full height in 3-4 pumps. Not even double that.

Yeah I think 3-4 pumps is BS, but it's definitely somewhere around 7 to 10ish(?) to get it to at least 18 inches on my car. It extends super high with no load on 3-4 but under capacity that's a different story.

Regardless, it's a lot better than most.

hunter x az fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 8, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DreamOn13 posted:

They are talking about no load pumping. It just gets the saddle up to the car quickly. They changed the wording, now they claim its under load, which is bull poo poo.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

sharkytm posted:

They are talking about no load pumping. It just gets the saddle up to the car quickly. They changed the wording, now they claim its under load, which is bull poo poo.

Under load they say it's 5, which I didn't really notice. I just changed my oil today and remember doing about 7 but don't remember if they were full top to bottom pumps. Seems like they weren't. Sounds like it's time for some :science:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Definitely bullshit. I tested mine today and it was 8 with no load.

But....the jack is loving amazing. I feel like it will last me the rest of my life. It's a monster, but so handy. I can actually jack up my E36 from the diff without rolling onto blocks first.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

revmoo posted:

Definitely bullshit. I tested mine today and it was 8 with no load.

But....the jack is loving amazing. I feel like it will last me the rest of my life. It's a monster, but so handy. I can actually jack up my E36 from the diff without rolling onto blocks first.

Yeah. The last one I had was:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/1Duralast-2-Ton-compact-design-trolley-jack/_/N-255z?itemIdentifier=422716&_requestid=835389

Huge upgrade.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I just wanted to comment, some people suggested that Lowe's Kobalt brand ratchets were nice. I picked up their small 3/8" metric set and the higher engagement is super sweet compared to my dad's old craftsman set. They also feel a lot smoother and heftier. Kind of want to get all new ratchets now.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 8, 2012

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Hollis Brown posted:

I just wanted to comment, some people suggested that Lowe's Kobalt brand ratchets were nice. I picked up their small 3/8" metric set and the higher engagement is super sweet compared to my dad's old craftsman set. They also feel a lot smoother and heftier. Kind of want to get all new ratchets now.

Don't mention snap on. Don't mention snap on. Supposedly kobalt and craftsman is made by the same company (Danaher), but kobalt is pretty impressive. Warranty on their stuff is top notch too. Worth checking out craftsman's thin profile and their premium ratchets too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I swear to god if I break any more Craftsman ratchets I will scream! 4 broken this weekend, plus 18mm 1/2 drive socket and a 14mm 3/8 drive socket... Stupid HF sockets worked just fine.

I may look at Kobalt now.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

velocross posted:

Don't mention snap on. Don't mention snap on. Supposedly kobalt and craftsman is made by the same company (Danaher), but kobalt is pretty impressive. Warranty on their stuff is top notch too. Worth checking out craftsman's thin profile and their premium ratchets too.

Danaher also makes the Flukes you guys were talking about. And Matco. They also make a metric gently caress ton of other things, large company. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but man they are huge and I can see there being a difference.

That said I worked for a Danaher company and we traded parts with other subsidiaries, just different end products. They wouldn't give us no Flukes, though.

thecobra fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 8, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hollis Brown posted:

try the harbour freight composite ratchets. Amazingly, they are 72 tooth, and very durable... And eight bucks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, Danaher ate everyone else company by company. Different tiers of quality are made to serve different markets. For a comparison analogy: Unilever sells several ice cream brands, including Turkey Hill, Breyers, and Ben and Jerry's; each one is a distinct product/quality/cost/demographic even though the parent company's the same. Craftsman and Snap-On owe tithe to the same master but are made in different factories to different standards.

Also, seconding HF ratchets. They're loving great.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
I'm not sure how we continually have the discussion about breaking tools. I don't think I have broken anything in like 10 years (a Harbor Freight pitman arm puller that broke instantly. I am pretty hard on my tools, and they get used often. Maybe you guys should stop beating 3/8" and 1/4 sockets with hammers, and stop putting huge sections of pipe on them while you're at it. Buy an impact gun ;)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CatBus posted:

I'm not sure how we continually have the discussion about breaking tools. I don't think I have broken anything in like 10 years (a Harbor Freight pitman arm puller that broke instantly. I am pretty hard on my tools, and they get used often. Maybe you guys should stop beating 3/8" and 1/4 sockets with hammers, and stop putting huge sections of pipe on them while you're at it. Buy an impact gun ;)

You keep that proper tool use bullshit out of this thread buddy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not everyone has a Scout with plenty of room to get a rattle gun on everything :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CatBus posted:

You people and your air compressors. Just take that witch craft some where else.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

try the harbour freight composite ratchets. Amazingly, they are 72 tooth, and very durable... And eight bucks.

and not affected by grease or oil. and surprisingly make great hammers considering their construction material.

I love my 1/2"

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, the telescoping 1/2" was absolutely made for beating the poo poo out of things.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, the telescoping 1/2" was absolutely made for beating the poo poo out of things.

Is your selector (right/left) switch backwards on your 1/2" ratchet? I just noticed mine is and felt like I went full retard playing with it for like 10 minutes the other day.

Any suggestions on a media blaster? Will mainly be used for motorycycle and small parts, with sand and soda media. I've been looking at ones at harbor freight and northern, this one -> http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/662/category/823/ caught my eye, but any other suggestions? Would love a full cabinet, but don't have the room for one at the moment. From what I've read, I should be using an inline filter for my compressor also.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Not sure, gotta go get it out now. It's one of the old ones with the red/black handles, from before the Pittsburgh line's green-handle refresh/unification.

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.

velocross posted:

Any suggestions on a media blaster? Will mainly be used for motorycycle and small parts, with sand and soda media. I've been looking at ones at harbor freight and northern, this one -> http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/662/category/823/ caught my eye, but any other suggestions? Would love a full cabinet, but don't have the room for one at the moment. From what I've read, I should be using an inline filter for my compressor also.

I have that one. The bucket needs to be shaken every minute or so of use or the gun doesn't pull media out. I did a swingarm with it. The hose is cheap and starts to fall apart right away. Glass beads go everywhere.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
You guys have maybe never used a Snap On 80 tooth because my HF sockets feel like total pieces of poo poo compared to the couple Snap On ratchets I have.

I have broken my Snap On 1/4 ratchet twice in the last six months, so durability may not be too different between HF and S-O. The 'finesse' of the tools is quite different.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
After a highly profitable trip with work to the depths of Siberia, I've splashed out on my garage...

Oh, and I now have a garage!

Just moved into a new house, complete with man-cave. It's not huge, but it's all mine. So with the extra cash from freezing my nuts off, I'm now the owner of a 1-ton folding engine crane, and a 50l, 2.5hp compressor, along with a selection of air tools (impact gun, die grinder, ratchet, chisel, drill etc) Going to add an orbital sander, needle gun and reciprocating saw next. Compressor and crane are both "Wolf" brand, pretty generic mass-produced items, but they're a good start...

reddeathdrinker fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 12, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

You guys have maybe never used a Snap On 80 tooth because my HF sockets feel like total pieces of poo poo compared to the couple Snap On ratchets I have.

I have broken my Snap On 1/4 ratchet twice in the last six months, so durability may not be too different between HF and S-O. The 'finesse' of the tools is quite different.

The thing is, I like to own tools that I can hit with a sledgehammer without a second's pause. v:v:v
And there's always a goon who'll call me out for saying so.

Often I don't have the right tool for the job,
because the job I was doing has spiraled larger
because the car's old and rusty and it didn't come apart right
because unexpected parts broke/turned out to be broken
etc
and it almost always needs to be put back together, one way or another, before work in the morning.

I'm not in a shop or even a well-stocked garage; all my tools need to fit in the back of the car at all times. So my toolkit is full of "how many roles can this play" items and everything in there has felt the sledge at one time or another (even the trim tools and picks). My cars keep rolling and I don't usually break tools, so that's that.

On a durability note: I have beaten the loving piss out of both my HF rachets (the 1/4" and 5/8" dual-head telescopic and a 1/2" telescopic) with a 3-pound sledge and they're troopers; action's as good as the day I bought them. The teeth in the 1/2" rachet have stood up where a 1/2" Craftsman breaker snapped (standing and bouncing on it, at 350lbs, to break a crank nut).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The jack I've been lusting after for a good while finally came on sale, so I bought it. Bahco BH11500. Just tried it out putting the summer tires on granma's yaris, and it's quite nice. Big heavy fucker, though, glad I only have to push it around.

bolind fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 12, 2012

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Splizwarf posted:

The thing is, I like to own tools that I can hit with a sledgehammer without a second's pause. v:v:v
I rarely hit my ratchets with a hammer. I use my wrenches for that since they transmit the impact force more effectively.

Both times I have broken my S-O 1/4 ratchet I have had a deep socket over the handle of the ratchet and a long extension on the deep socket to make the handle effectively longer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Both times I have broken my S-O 1/4 ratchet I have had a deep socket over the handle of the ratchet and a long extension on the deep socket to make the handle effectively longer.

Great. I hadn't thought of that one before. Now that bad idea is going to pop into my head to try to get myself out of a jam and I'm gonna use it. And I'm gonna break my ratchet.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

PBCrunch posted:

Pretty hard to compare the durability of ratchets when you're essentially throwing a cheater pipe on 1/4" ratchets. Not to dig at you, but you're logic is kinda screwy. I'm all for cheater pipes and hammering on ratchets, but having a $10 breaker bar from hf makes my life so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are any of the electric paint sprayers decent enough for painting a bunch of lattice / wood outside? I read that they're not great for painting the inside of your house, as you have to thin the paint down too much, but I'm wondering if there's any way to speed up a shitload of painting I need to do outside.

From looking at home depot, it looks like there are probably some that are decent if you want to spend lots of money, but I was hoping for something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100661562/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=paint+sprayer&storeId=10051

*edit* Maybe I'm better off renting a quality sprayer?

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 12, 2012