Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Shinji bitchslaps Kira Yamato" is a pretty big misreading of that scene.

It's based on the scene in the Gundam SEED anime where the protagonist has become a giant rear end in a top hat because he is being used by another character. He basically snaps angrily that Shinji can't understand what it is like to be forced into a fighting robot and Shinji's response is "Actually, yes, I do."

It's followed by a pretty fun sequence where Shinji gets to mentor a Gundam Kid into getting over himself because Shinji had done so in an earlier game with help from earlier Gundam kids. It's payoff for Shinji's character arc and ends up with him and Kira becoming friends. Alphaverse Shinji gets some really awesome plot in general.

SEED is one of those shows that ends up a lot better the more SRW fucks with it. The worst inclusion was J where they did the plot straight and it was drat near intolerable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Eh SEED isn't that bad. It's a average show at worst.

SEED Destiny is the trainwreck.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dr Pepper posted:

Eh SEED isn't that bad. It's a average show at worst.

SEED Destiny is the trainwreck.

I couldn't get into either because of the character designs. Same with Fafnir: I know I'd like the show, but... I just cannot stand the designs!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I couldn't get into either because of the character designs. Same with Fafnir: I know I'd like the show, but... I just cannot stand the designs!

Really? I couldn't get into Fafner because it's relentlessly depressing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

SEED is one of those shows that ends up a lot better the more SRW fucks with it. The worst inclusion was J where they did the plot straight and it was drat near intolerable.
It was tolerable in J just because Ruri popped in once in a while to call everyone idiots and you just had to sadly nod your head in agreement.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

KDavisJr posted:

Wait Shinji, as in Shinji "voiced by Brad Swaile" Ikari?
English voices wouldn't have been used, but I've always remembered that guy as the voice of Amuro Ray, Quatre, and Setsuna.

ImpAtom posted:

There was one moment I remember liking with the Seed guys, and it's where the crew asks them what the poo poo are the G Gundam guys going on about. It could've been done with any other Gundam series, though.

I really want Gundam 00 and G Gundam to get together.

Three Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 3, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shinji was voiced by Spike Spencer anyways.

Endorph posted:

It was tolerable in J just because Ruri popped in once in a while to call everyone idiots and you just had to sadly nod your head in agreement.

Ruri calls everyone idiots no matter what though.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 3, 2012

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I really like how the Garada and Doublas sprites were done in this game, they're still the same super deformed old lovable goofy mooks of yore but way more detailed and mean looking.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

ImpAtom posted:

The scene where Natarle tells the Coordinators not to blow up their ship because Lacus is on board, and everyone calls her a horrible monster for it comes to mind...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

"Shinji bitchslaps Kira Yamato" is a pretty big misreading of that scene.

It's based on the scene in the Gundam SEED anime where the protagonist has become a giant rear end in a top hat because he is being used by another character. He basically snaps angrily that Shinji can't understand what it is like to be forced into a fighting robot and Shinji's response is "Actually, yes, I do."

It's followed by a pretty fun sequence where Shinji gets to mentor a Gundam Kid into getting over himself because Shinji had done so in an earlier game with help from earlier Gundam kids. It's payoff for Shinji's character arc and ends up with him and Kira becoming friends. Alphaverse Shinji gets some really awesome plot in general.

Context: This is during the scene in the desert (first time you fight Andrew Waltfeld) when Kira twists that one dude with the glasses' arm (after having slept with his gigantic bitch of a girlfriend). He's like, "I'm a Coordinator! You can't gently caress with me!"

And then Camille from Zeta walks out and says, "Actually, we can."

And Kazuya from Daimos, the literal martial arts champion of the solar system, walks out and he's like, "Yeah, we're kinda badass."

And then Shinji comes out and he looks Kira in the eye and he's like, "You would gently caress with a nigga in he own house"

Of course, that stage was a huge comedy of errors because they redid the entire episode verbatim for the SEED cast. They land in the desert, oh poo poo mobile suits can't walk on sand! No problem, I'm Kira Yamato, just give me 5 minutes to reprogram the operating system of my Gundam and *a squad of valkyries and literally every super in the group zoom over his head while Sandrock, Zeta, and all the other remotely usable MSes follow* and they still tried to play it straight lol

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Broken Loose posted:

Context: This is during the scene in the desert (first time you fight Andrew Waltfeld) when Kira twists that one dude with the glasses' arm (after having slept with his gigantic bitch of a girlfriend). He's like, "I'm a Coordinator! You can't gently caress with me!"

And then Camille from Zeta walks out and says, "Actually, we can."

And Kazuya from Daimos, the literal martial arts champion of the solar system, walks out and he's like, "Yeah, we're kinda badass."

And then Shinji comes out and he looks Kira in the eye and he's like, "You would gently caress with a nigga in he own house"

Of course, that stage was a huge comedy of errors because they redid the entire episode verbatim for the SEED cast. They land in the desert, oh poo poo mobile suits can't walk on sand! No problem, I'm Kira Yamato, just give me 5 minutes to reprogram the operating system of my Gundam and *a squad of valkyries and literally every super in the group zoom over his head while Sandrock, Zeta, and all the other remotely usable MSes follow* and they still tried to play it straight lol

The best thing about SEED in Alpha 3 is that Coordinator grunts will say their racist "You Naturals will never defeat us" lines to Guy Shishioh, Hiroshi Shiba, Sanshiro Tsuwabuki, Kusuha Mizuha, Ryusei Date, and hell, I think even to Amuro Ray.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Tobias Grant posted:

The scene where Natarle tells the Coordinators not to blow up their ship because Lacus is on board, and everyone calls her a horrible monster for it comes to mind...
Well to be fair, she was actually saying "Stop attacking, or we can't guarantee her safety" as a threat rather than "Stop attacking or you're going to get her killed you assholes" which would have been a much less dickish move while probably equally effective. So she was being a massive bitch.

SRW always makes SEED look stupid.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ActionZero posted:

Well to be fair, she was actually saying "Stop attacking, or we can't guarantee her safety" as a threat rather than "Stop attacking or you're going to get her killed you assholes" which would have been a much less dickish move while probably equally effective. So she was being a massive bitch.

SRW always makes SEED look stupid.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard that SEED makes SEED look stupid.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SEED has problems with a lot of things. For starters SEED is trying to be both idealistic and realistic at the same time.

The whole bit where Lacus is being held hostage to force ZAFT to hold off is the best example of this weird disconnect. On one hand Natarle is completely correct, they're about to be killed by the Blitz Gundam and she gets on the line and says "BTW your princess is actually in this battleship, retreat or you'll kill her". On the other hand the scenes are set up that Natarle is supposed to be totally in the wrong for saving the ship and everyone on it. Then Kira returns Lacus to ZAFT and everyone is shocked, SHOCKED I saw that Rau would try to shoot down their enemies after that enemy has lost their bargaining chip. It really did feel as though we're supposed to be against the actions of Natarle and Rau le Creuset despite the fact they're acting completely logically, pragmatically, and rationally. This is bad writing and stuff like it basically goes on throughout the entire series, it has less a message of "War is bad" and more "Every soldier ever is evil except for the main characters". Every non-hero in the main anime of SEED is a baby-killing villain by default and that really hurts them if they want it to be taken seriously. Let me sum up pretty much everything about SEED you need to know, by the weird morality of SEED Captain Bright Noa would probably be a bad guy, Natarle is basically his reworking whereas Murrue has more in common with Misato Kisaragi.

SEED actually made it's debut in SRW Alpha 3 and I can't help but think that the plot of SEED is sort of being played almost as a parody of itself by playing it so straight. There's the whole thing where Shinji Ikari basically calls Kira for being so wangsty sure but I seriously get the feeling that SEED is actually secondary to any part of the story it's involved in. For instance the Waltfeld stages? They're actually more about Macross 7 than Gundam SEED. ZAFT and Blue Cosmos supporters have pretty much the weakest units in the game. There are a number of scenes throughout the game, not just the Shinji scene where Kira is basically made to look like an idiot and a waste of time, like one where Kira is actually hesitating against fighting the Zonderian Primevals in the GGG base because they look human. Basically one of your main characters and the Wing boys tell him to get over himself and just shoot them. The SEED bosses are also probably the easiest in the game, the Druggies were less dangerous to me than Yazan Gable who usually shows up with them. Even Rau in the Providence Gundam is really easy, he may actually be the easiest endgame boss in the game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I've always preferred Wing over all other Gundam iterations.
All this SeeD bullshit is making my head hurt.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Omnicrom posted:

SEED actually made it's debut in SRW Alpha 3 and I can't help but think that the plot of SEED is sort of being played almost as a parody of itself by playing it so straight. There's the whole thing where Shinji Ikari basically calls Kira for being so wangsty sure but I seriously get the feeling that SEED is actually secondary to any part of the story it's involved in. For instance the Waltfeld stages? They're actually more about Macross 7 than Gundam SEED. ZAFT and Blue Cosmos supporters have pretty much the weakest units in the game. There are a number of scenes throughout the game, not just the Shinji scene where Kira is basically made to look like an idiot and a waste of time, like one where Kira is actually hesitating against fighting the Zonderian Primevals in the GGG base because they look human. Basically one of your main characters and the Wing boys tell him to get over himself and just shoot them. The SEED bosses are also probably the easiest in the game, the Druggies were less dangerous to me than Yazan Gable who usually shows up with them. Even Rau in the Providence Gundam is really easy, he may actually be the easiest endgame boss in the game.

Well, one issue is that Banpresto didn't originally plan for SEED to be in Alpha 3 originally. But Bandai said "Nope put it in."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Wing is right up there with SEED is terms of bullshit.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wing is 1000 times more stylish though.

I mean, when a character's attempt to kill a guy is to get out of his giant robot and challenge him to a sword fight you know you've got something special.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Pureauthor posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Wing is right up there with SEED is terms of bullshit.

Pretty much this. I'm gonna go ahead and lump 00 as a whole with Wing and SEED as well, though I heard some folks liked the first season I guess.

UC Gundam or bust. (Or G Gundam, The Best Gundam)

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
As long as we're talking about favorite Gundam series, has 08th MS Team ever shown up in a SRW game?

Eponymous fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 4, 2012

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

UC Gundam or bust. (Or G Gundam, The Best Gundam)

X and Turn A. :colbert:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tobias Grant posted:

X and Turn A. :colbert:

Gundam X bros represent. :colbert:

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Dammit, now you people have made me want to see the scenes in question and I have no idea how to read Japan's moonspeak.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Eponymous posted:

As long as we're talking about favorite Gundam series, has 08th MS Team ever shown up in a SRW game?

Super Robot Wars 64, GC/XO, A/A portable, Impact, and maybe some more that I don't remember.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Mercury Crusader posted:

(Or G Gundam, The Best Gundam)

I am obligated to appear and agree with this.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Mercury Crusader posted:

(Or G Gundam, The Best Gundam)
This

G Gundam is essentially Gurren Lagaan that doesn't rape the laws of Physics.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I never payed much attention to SEED so my head feels fine. But as pureauthor said, Wing has a lot of bullshit. Maybe it's because it's a Gundam show that tries to have it's plot be the main selling point?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

KDavisJr posted:

Maybe it's because it's a Gundam show that tries to have it's plot be the main selling point?

This is literally the entire point of Gundam.

In any case, getting away from Gundam chat, I've never watched Shin Mazinger so I have to ask: About how many crazy super moves is the Mazinger Z going to get by the end of this game?

and where's the Jet Scrander

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

In any case, getting away from Gundam chat, I've never watched Shin Mazinger so I have to ask: About how many crazy super moves is the Mazinger Z going to get by the end of this game?

Mazinger Z doesn't have the Scrander in the beginning. He gains it later as a mid-season upgrade.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

BlitzBlast posted:

Well, first off, you need to watch Shin Mazinger. It is literally the best Super Robot show of the past decade. Some folks will say Gurren Lagann was that, but they're just bustas. Real deal OG super robot fans know the score. :c00lbert:

Mazinger Z has fewer attacks than what is usually seen in other SRW titles, as Shin Mazinger pretty much removed a lot of attacks that seemed either redundant, unnecessary, or otherwise. So, there's no Iron Cutter, no Reitou Beam, no Drill Missiles, no Missile Punch, and so forth. What it does keep are its more trademark moves and the strength of those attacks are amped up to 11.

As for your last question: it gets it later as an upgrade

And for the folks that wanted to see the scene where Mazinger Z first uses the rocket punch, here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPI6tBQz93k

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 4, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

He gets one more standard attack and one Super Finishing Move attack for this game.

As for the rest... wait until Saisei-hen.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

when a character's attempt to kill a guy is to get out of his giant robot and challenge him to a sword fight you know you've got something special.

Char Aznable was doing this back in UC 0079 when Heero Yui was just a twinkle in a twelve-year-old girl's eye.

:colbert:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
00 was terrible, and KDavisJr: You really really need to go watch Gundam.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I know I'll probably get mocked for this, but I actually liked the original Mazinger Z series more than Shin Mazinger. Granted I'm probably a bit biased since I first saw it as the butchered, mangled mess that was Tranzor Z (but I was a kid then and knew nothing of japanese anime or dubbing).

I liked how in the beginning Koji had to learn to pilot his robot. I liked the occasions where one of Dr. Hell's robots had an honest advantage over Mazinger which required figuring out an upgrade; one of my favorites being Hell realizing Mazinger couldn't swim or fight underwater and began building machines designed to exploit that.

Shin Mazinger was just too over the top for my tastes considering I loved the original series so much.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Rabidredneck posted:

I know I'll probably get mocked for this, but I actually liked the original Mazinger Z series more than Shin Mazinger. Granted I'm probably a bit biased since I first saw it as the butchered, mangled mess that was Tranzor Z (but I was a kid then and knew nothing of japanese anime or dubbing).

I liked how in the beginning Koji had to learn to pilot his robot. I liked the occasions where one of Dr. Hell's robots had an honest advantage over Mazinger which required figuring out an upgrade; one of my favorites being Hell realizing Mazinger couldn't swim or fight underwater and began building machines designed to exploit that.

Shin Mazinger was just too over the top for my tastes considering I loved the original series so much.

You aren't alone, I've heard that point raised many times. And Shin Mazinger isn't faultless, there's a reason the first arc is known as "The Endless Knight" because the pacing can be shoddy.

As for Mazinger Z in game it gets one more attack next mission and midway through gets another when it receives the Wing Scrander that lets it fly. Shin Mazinger's ultimate attacks are not in Z2-1 however, the God Scrander is saved for Z2-2.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

You aren't alone, I've heard that point raised many times. And Shin Mazinger isn't faultless, there's a reason the first arc is known as "The Endless Knight" because the pacing can be shoddy.

As for Mazinger Z in game it gets one more attack next mission and midway through gets another when it receives the Wing Scrander that lets it fly. Shin Mazinger's ultimate attacks are not in Z2-1 however, the God Scrander is saved for Z2-2.

It's not next mission. Next mission is focused on the Worst Super Robot Ever Made.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Rabidredneck posted:

Good thing all of those things happen in Shin Mazinger! Kouji learning to pilot Mazinger happened in both episode 2 and the chapter I just showed, and the show had exactly the underwater episode you want.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 4, 2012

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

Mercury Crusader posted:

Well, first off, you need to watch Shin Mazinger. It is literally the best Super Robot show of the past decade. Some folks will say Gurren Lagann was that, but they're just bustas. Real deal OG super robot fans know the score. :c00lbert:

Mazinger Z has fewer attacks than what is usually seen in other SRW titles, as Shin Mazinger pretty much removed a lot of attacks that seemed either redundant, unnecessary, or otherwise. So, there's no Iron Cutter, no Reitou Beam, no Drill Missiles, no Missile Punch, and so forth. What it does keep are its more trademark moves and the strength of those attacks are amped up to 11.

As for your last question: it gets it later as an upgrade

And for the folks that wanted to see the scene where Mazinger Z first uses the rocket punch, here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPI6tBQz93k

Actually I think you'll find that Kouji did in fact use missile punch during the beginning of the Kedora Arc
:goonsay:

I will admit both great and Z have a lot of redundant moves, but they did give us those mashed together combos in MX that were pretty drat cool. That underwater fight in this game is pretty entertaining too since The mechbeast in question doesn't even have the move it spent half the episode using and just has a dumb ramming attack :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have to refute this simply because Gaogaigar Final is still less than 10 years old. Shin Mazinger is a close second but :drat:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dis astranagant posted:

I have to refute this simply because Gaogaigar Final is still less than 10 years old. Shin Mazinger is a close second but :drat:

Dendoh :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pureauthor posted:

It's not next mission. Next mission is focused on the Worst Super Robot Ever Made.

Oh god, please please tell me that the Thread title, and this, mean what I think it does for the Rocket Punch Club.... I really need to watch that show sometime.

• Locked thread