Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

veekie posted:

A spear would be Steel or Iron right? Would only carry one allomantic power then, and given that its Kelsier it's probably Steel or Iron burning ability.

Weren't weapons on the Mistborn world made of wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Superstring posted:

Weren't weapons on the Mistborn world made of wood?

No, not at all. e: except nobles and those ninjas who used canes or whatever the gently caress.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Normal people used metal weapons and armor, hazekillers wore wood, allomancers (mistborn) generally used obsidian weapons.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Yea the haze killers were troops trained specifically for fighting allowmancers and would use wood shields and staffs or clubs.

I thought I remembered them mentioning that the Ska solders that stabbed the lord ruler were using spears with stone or obsidian tips but I just checked and they don't say one way or the other. The Lord Rulers solders did have metal weapons during that fight though.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

arioch posted:

Alternatively, what if it went the other way? What could the spear have taken from the Lord Ruler and given to Kelsier before his death?

Well he has to have died, or the Kandra couldn't have copied him. If it is something like that though, a steel chest spike to imbue pewter would make sense - the Inquisitors die when their chest spike is removed, and pewter dragging kills if it ever runs down.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

Yeroc2 posted:

Good news! A new Sanderson book is coming out in December 2012. It sounds pretty interesting. Its called The Emperor's Soul

Its supposed to be half the length of Alloy of Law, and set in the Cosmere somewhere.

What the hell, Sanderson. Is he using all these different publishing houses because a single one wouldn't release all the random books he churns out?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I suspect he wrote that on his plane trip thing.

arioch posted:

Alternatively, what if it went the other way? What could the spear have taken from the Lord Ruler and given to Kelsier before his death?

Don't work, you need to kill the Lord Ruler to do that. However, Vin did spear the Lord Ruler later on as well.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

Yeroc2 posted:

Good news! A new Sanderson book is coming out in December 2012. It sounds pretty interesting. Its called The Emperor's Soul

Its supposed to be half the length of Alloy of Law, and set in the Cosmere somewhere.

What's the betting that he wrote this on his way back from that Taiwan trip he took earlier this year?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Skapegoat posted:

What's the betting that he wrote this on his way back from that Taiwan trip he took earlier this year?

Had to be. I bet we get a sequel to Alloy of Law when he gets back from Australia.

EDIT: Brandon has arrived.
http://lockerz.com/s/198409143

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Walked along the water in Perth today. I was not attacked by a single snake, spider, or shark. Australia, you're letting me down.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 4, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Yeroc2 posted:

How does he DO it?! :psyduck:

Also, I wonder if he's just trying to support these little niche publishers like Subterranean and Tachyon by doing deals for his short books.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

How does he DO it?! :psyduck:

Probably on a flight, but the guy's basically a machine. Put him in a box (or plane) and dump in food and Magic cards and out come books.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Kreeblah posted:

Probably on a flight, but the guy's basically a machine. Put him in a box (or plane) and dump in food and Magic cards and out come books.
Magic cards?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
He sets writing goals for himself and when he meets them his prize is to open a pack of Magic The Gathering cards.

He is a really big nerd if you haven't realized yet.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Clinton1011 posted:

He sets writing goals for himself and when he meets them his prize is to open a pack of Magic The Gathering cards.

He is a really big nerd if you haven't realized yet.

And when at cons he sets up Magic tournaments. And plays Magic until 3 or 4 in the morning.

Maybe he just never sleeps....

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Kalas posted:

Either way it's going to be a painful wait for the rest of the series.

To put it lightly, yeah. TWOK was easily the best book I've read in a while. I almost wish I'd waited for the second book to be out to start the series. . But I guess there's always re-reading.

fordan posted:

And when at cons he sets up Magic tournaments. And plays Magic until 3 or 4 in the morning.

Maybe he just never sleeps....

Good, maybe he won't take as long as Baron von FatassofCheetohsandNFL to finish the next book.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!

Tedronai66 posted:

To put it lightly, yeah. TWOK was easily the best book I've read in a while. I almost wish I'd waited for the second book to be out to start the series. . But I guess there's always re-reading.

Oh boy is there ever rereading. I have reread it a few times and every time I found something new that made me think 'oh man this little detail is going to come back in a big way'. I got a little crazy over finding potential plot hooks that I actually at one point was using the diamond symbols in breaks between sections in the edition I have as part of speculation and I had to stop myself from being that guy.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
So I just finished my re-read of the mistborn trilogy and Alloy of Law. The witty comebacks and sayings were really bad in Alloy of Law. A lot worst then they were in his earlier books like Elantris and Warbreaker. It felt like he might of rushed the book a little bit and didn't have time to revise those sections.

I did really love Wayne's inner dialog and the way he thought as if he were the person he was impersonating. One little bit that got me thinking was how he always thought in third person when playing a role but he also thought that way when he wasn't playing a role. Almost as if Wayne was a role he played as well.

The action on the other hand was really great. Having Twinborns in the story made the action so much better.

I thought I remember Brandon confirming that this will not be a trilogy and no other books will take place right after this story but the way this book ended makes me really want to read more from this time period and see what happens next.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Clinton1011 posted:

The witty comebacks and sayings were really bad in Alloy of Law. A lot worst then they were in his earlier books like Elantris and Warbreaker.

I thought just the opposite. That stuff drove me crazy in his earlier works (and even in Way of Kings), but I remember actually laughing a few times during Alloy of Law.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Clinton1011 posted:

I thought I remember Brandon confirming that this will not be a trilogy and no other books will take place right after this story but the way this book ended makes me really want to read more from this time period and see what happens next.

He's racanted on that based on the positive reception the book recieved from his core fans. I suspect at least one or two more short stories set in this world that will set up the next trilogy. He said the next full length trilogy will star a full blown Mistborn again and take place in a more modern era with cars, skyscrapers, and planes.

Hell, for all we know, he just finished writing it on his flight to Australia.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 5, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

soru posted:

I thought just the opposite. That stuff drove me crazy in his earlier works (and even in Way of Kings), but I remember actually laughing a few times during Alloy of Law.

Same for me, but then I didn't have any issues with Shallan in Way of Kings either.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
There were some points where it was funny but then there are others that just fell flat. I feel he is getting better but had to rush this book so he couldn't go back and rewrite the really weak points like below.

“It’s all right, Wayne,” Waxillium said softly. “I’ve made a promise. I told Lord Harms I’d return Steris to him. And I will. That is that.”

“Then I will remain and help,” Marasi said. “That is that.”

“And I could really use some food,” Wayne added. “Fat is fat.”

Edit: On the other hand I found parts where he wasn't trying to be witty to actually be funny, like in The Well of Ascension when Eland went into the Koloss camp. On the way out decided to kill one to get one of their pouches so he can figure out what was in them. After he killed the Koloss the rest stood around waiting for him to explain why he killed the other Koloss. He ends up saying "He ate my horse". I don't know if it was intended to be funny but the way it was delivered actually had me laughing.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 5, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

soru posted:

Yeah, between the dog story, Marasi realizing that sometimes you just really want to shoot Wayne, and "it lets me add two an' two and get a pickle", I thought it was the closest Sanderson got to actually being intentionally funny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Clinton1011 posted:

There were some points where it was funny but then there are others that just fell flat. I feel he is getting better but had to rush this book so he couldn't go back and rewrite the really weak points like below.

“It’s all right, Wayne,” Waxillium said softly. “I’ve made a promise. I told Lord Harms I’d return Steris to him. And I will. That is that.”

“Then I will remain and help,” Marasi said. “That is that.”

“And I could really use some food,” Wayne added. “Fat is fat.”

Edit: On the other hand I found parts where he wasn't trying to be witty to actually be funny, like in The Well of Ascension when Eland went into the Koloss camp. On the way out decided to kill one to get one of their pouches so he can figure out what was in them. After he killed the Koloss the rest stood around waiting for him to explain why he killed the other Koloss. He ends up saying "He ate my horse". I don't know if it was intended to be funny but the way it was delivered actually had me laughing.

Cut him some slack, the guy is a mormon, and on top of that possibly a robot. And he has been getting better.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

IRQ posted:

Cut him some slack, the guy is a mormon, and on top of that possibly a robot. And he has been getting better.

Absolutely, some of the Lightsong chapters in Warbreaker were actually painful to read.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

keiran_helcyan posted:

Absolutely, some of the Lightsong chapters in Warbreaker were actually painful to read.

I still think Lightsong not being funny was the point. He was a literal god to everyone he ever interacted with, and considered all of the other gods to be super boring. No one he would have respected at all would told him he isn't funny.

Because if that's not the case, it's just depressing.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

IRQ posted:

You can enjoy - even admire - an author while still having criticisms of them. Sanderson is drat good, but he still has a way to go in several ways, dialogue being one of them.

Fortunately the man's writing is improving in a way I haven't seen in a fantasy author since Pratchett, and that promises great things.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!

coffeetable posted:

You can enjoy - even admire - an author while still having criticisms of them. Sanderson is drat good, but he still has a way to go in several ways, dialogue being one of them.

Fortunately the man's writing is improving in a way I haven't seen in a fantasy author since Pratchett, and that promises great things.

Agreed. The characters in Way of Kings are far and away more engrossing to me than those in his earlier works. I am much more interested in how characters are developing than what they are going to discover about their world, and that is the complete reverse of how his other works have gone for me.

But jesus christ the scenes where Shallan is being 'clever' are weak

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Cartoon Man posted:

He said the next full length trilogy will star a full blown Mistborn again and take place in a more modern era with cars, skyscrapers, and planes.

I am so loving hard for this.

1.) Oh god I was so worried he was going to go overboard with the "limitations are what makes stories interesting" thing. Too much power sucks, but man it's fun reading about badasses.

2.) Modern-era fantasy! Yes! I love the poo poo out of fantasy novels, but I hate me some loving "mi'lord" bullshit. Magic trains! Magic desalination plants! Magic nuclear reactors! Magic organ transplants! It's everything cool about our world, but more so, and magic. Stopping time instead of anesthetic. Nano-scale hemalurgy of/with bacteria. Party girls overusing Soothers instead of Prozac to help them be okay with what useless people they are. gently caress, what kind of crazy class system would evolve if some of us were wizards?

3.) How about that southern continent? What kind of crazy poo poo has been going on down there?

4.) Can't wait to see what he does with his much-improved writing since the the last full Mistborn. Also, the new Mistborn being out means we'll have the conclusion of TWoT and possibly up to book 5 in TWoK. Wow those are super-similar initialisms.

5.) I am totally gay for Brandon Sanderson.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon will be doing a Google+ hangout, whatever that is, on April 18th at 1PM Australian time (11PM US Eastern time).
https://plus.google.com/u/0/112625949782182655505/posts/GkSiE75S18G#112625949782182655505/posts/GkSiE75S18G

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's a chatroom in G+, you can optionally use a camera and a microphone to talk live. Not sure what the actual capacity of a hangout is.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Only a dozen or so can join the video chat at a time, but it's an "on air", so unlimited non-participants can watch.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Cartoon Man posted:

Brandon will be doing a Google+ hangout, whatever that is, on April 18th at 1PM Australian time (11PM US Eastern time).
https://plus.google.com/u/0/112625949782182655505/posts/GkSiE75S18G#112625949782182655505/posts/GkSiE75S18G

I really want to watch this but don't want TWoT spoilers :(

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

This Post Sucks posted:

I really want to watch this but don't want TWoT spoilers :(

He's probably going to be pretty good about that, unless you're not current through Towers of Midnight, I guess.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

arioch posted:

He's probably going to be pretty good about that, unless you're not current through Towers of Midnight, I guess.

Yeah, I read them years ago and only got up to about book 7. Now I'm in the process of a re-read, so I don't want to take any chances. Oh well!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
This is apparently the mood trailer that's being used to shop the Mistborn script around to studios. I'm cautiously optimistic, since I think it captures the feeling of the series pretty well, but it's really going to depend on execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TOVHEnfe0

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Making my way through Elantris finally. Hrathen is loving Batman :stare:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

This is apparently the mood trailer that's being used to shop the Mistborn script around to studios. I'm cautiously optimistic, since I think it captures the feeling of the series pretty well, but it's really going to depend on execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TOVHEnfe0

Here's Brandon's blog post on this.
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1074/Mistborn-Movie-Update-and-Hugo-Nomination

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Secondly, I figured I'd give you all an update on the status of the Mistborn film. Years have passed since I mentioned it had been optioned, and those years have not been spent in vain. The producers, Paloppa pictures, have done numerous drafts of a screenplay. They showed me each one, asking for input, and this latest screenplay is just fantastic. I'm very excited. It stays true to the soul of the story, yet at the same time adapts that story in a way that works better on film. I'm extremely excited.

Now that we have a great screenplay, we face a greater challenge: pitching the story to studios. I picked a smaller production studio when selling the rights because of their passion and their willingness to let me be part of the process. That means, however, that we face an uphill battle getting the film into production.

What can you do to help? Well, right now, the best thing to do is have a look at the "mood trailer" Paloppa has released. Note that this is not a true trailer, but more of a "fan trailer"-style clip. They've cut up different films and stitched them together in an effort to show what kind of film they want to make. It's pretty cool. If you feel like sharing it and showing it off, I'm certainly not going to complain!

Otherwise, keep your fingers crossed for me and stay tuned. Paloppa is going to be pitching the film to studios during the next few months. (And, you know, if your uncle happens to be the head of Warner Brothers Pictures or is second cousin to Christopher Nolan and you want to give them the screenplay, feel free to drop me an email . . .)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's an interview with Isaac Stewart, the guy who draws all of Sanderson's maps, symbols, and other such items for his books.

http://beyonddragonsandwizards.blogspot.com/2012/04/interview-with-isaac-stewart-man-behind.html

quote:

I’d collected a lot of reference material for the steel inquisitors--nails, railroad spikes, those sorts of things--and one day when I was looking at a picture of a rusty pile of bent up nails, I saw the symbol for Iron. It was a Beautiful Mind experience. The symbol just jumped out at me. Glowing and everything.
After that initial experience with the symbol for Iron, it was easy to come up with the others. The bent nail part eventually became the crescent shapes used in the final book.

I’m responsible for all the maps and symbols in the four (so far) Mistborn novels as well as all the symbols, chapter headings, maps, color end pages, and Navani’s notebook pages in Brandon’s Way of Kings. (The other artwork in the book was done by Michael Whelan, Ben McSweeney, and Ben Call. I’m thrilled to be showcased in the same book with these amazing artists.)

Here's a Brandon Sanderson interview from Swancon.
http://www.specusphere.com/people/a-chat-with-brandon-sanderson.html

quote:

I remark that Sanderson’s style had changed between Mistborn and his latest series, The Stormlight Archive.

‘Well,’ says Sanderson, ‘I try to use a different style for each series. But I’ve also learnt a lot from working on The Wheel of Time. Jordan’s writing is so detailed, so subtle, so layered, that I can’t help being influenced by it.’

He has, by the way, now used up all his backlist: The Way of Kings is the last of those early books and after this year he expects his output to slow down.

Sanderson works best at night. ‘I get up about noon,’ he says, ‘write until five, and then spend a few hours with the family before starting work again about eight o’clock and then I write until the early morning hours. I often don’t get to bed before three am.’ He did try getting up at what most people would consider to be a more normal hour, but after a few weeks his wife capitulated, saying, ‘This routine is making you miserable. Go back to being a night owl!’

Gets up at noon, goes to bed at 3AM. Typical goon.

quote:

In a panel at Swancon, Sanderson warned fans against the danger of ‘putting down’ popular works. ‘I would hate to see our genre become snobbish, like the “literary” scene. When I was doing my Advanced Degree in English, I was shocked by the literary snobbery I encountered. There has always been room for every taste within the spec-fic world, but now even some SF authors try to tell people that what they write isn’t really speculative fiction, in an effort to distance themselves from popular books such as Eragon and Twilight. Don’t let that kind of divisiveness happen here or we’ll end up like the literary people, divided by snobbery.’

Has there ever been a Your Book Sucks subforum here?

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 12, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

Has there ever been a Your Book Sucks subforum here?

In living memory, just the bad thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

arioch posted:

In living memory, just the bad thread.

There should be. I don't care what Sanderson says, Eragon's prose and story elements make me cringe. I know its stupid, that my enjoyment of a work is mostly subjective, but over half the books I read fill me with a suffocating feeling of frustration. Its alright to hate on something as long as you can verbalize why you dislike it.

I think most people who become good writers realize at some point that they hate certain books or aspects of their favorite genre, and that feeling drives them to create their own books.