Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niggard of Oz
Jan 24, 2011

It's a NIGGER joke,
You Faggot's!
Is there a difference between Int 1-3 dialogue wise? Do you get to say more retarded things with Int 1 than Int 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Niggard of Oz posted:

Is there a difference between Int 1-3 dialogue wise? Do you get to say more retarded things with Int 1 than Int 3?

As far as I'm aware there's no dialogue difference at all in INT unfortunately.

The thing with the NCR is that while the NCR is pretty clearly bogged down, I feel like we're more told than shown as to why this is happening (NCR bureaucratic nonsense and political stuff being the given reason). I suppose in a game like this it's hard to really show that, especially since the game is set on the front and not in the rear where the decisions are being made, but McCarran could've been used as a setting where decisions are being made and the political structure of the NCR is being shown. Perhaps a General could've been quartered there, and you could have a quest where his subordinates are serving their own political ends (both back home and in the NCR military), and he asks you to look into why his orders aren't as effective as they should be. You could see the NCR bureaucracy first-hand and either decide that the system is flawed but better than the autocracy of Ceasar's Legion or that the NCR's bureaucratic structure makes it too weak to survive or something like that. As it is, we keep hearing about how the NCR is a bureaucratic clusterfuck but we never really see it up close.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
QUEST UPDATED: File Holiday Request Form X7/A-3

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

poptart_fairy posted:

QUEST UPDATED: File Holiday Request Form X7/A-3

I unironically think this would be hilarious, especially if it was only for one quest chain.

e: Although imagine for a minute what you'd think of the NCR if your every interaction with them was a bureaucratic nightmare, from as little as questgivers giving you a chit to unnecessarily go turn into somebody else to get your payment to as much as the above. Consider how that would impact your perception of the NCR.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Pope Guilty posted:

The thing with the NCR is that while the NCR is pretty clearly bogged down, I feel like we're more told than shown as to why this is happening (NCR bureaucratic nonsense and political stuff being the given reason). I suppose in a game like this it's hard to really show that, especially since the game is set on the front and not in the rear where the decisions are being made, but McCarran could've been used as a setting where decisions are being made and the political structure of the NCR is being shown. Perhaps a General could've been quartered there, and you could have a quest where his subordinates are serving their own political ends (both back home and in the NCR military), and he asks you to look into why his orders aren't as effective as they should be. You could see the NCR bureaucracy first-hand and either decide that the system is flawed but better than the autocracy of Ceasar's Legion or that the NCR's bureaucratic structure makes it too weak to survive or something like that. As it is, we keep hearing about how the NCR is a bureaucratic clusterfuck but we never really see it up close.

You see a fair bit. Half your missions come from seeing them bogged down incapable of doing anything because nobody will show initiative outside their immediate job description (if even that); you see them just squatting on and completely failing to exploit resources and strategic areas they take; you see them wrestling with absurdly protracted logistical issues like that food processor; you see them acting as invaders and assuming they'll be treated as liberators; and you see them all blaming each other/those civilians sitting around back at home for why everything's going to poo poo.

The folks at Shady Sands made the big fuckup and sent all those people out there with no real plan but you see enough of the same sort of fuckup in miniature along the frontline to get a pretty good picture of what what happened and what life is like back West. They're a decadent regime that rose to power cargo-cult imitating an America already in decline (and a pretty severe one in the Fallout world) who jumped right into the same gridlock, infighting, tunnel vision and fundamental inability to live up to its ideals just as they inherited the technology, ethics, and ability to project force. They're already the poor helpless biggest most advanced organized force anywhere in the world sitting around hoping you'll come along and bail them out of every problem; maybe the issue is that's how RPG characters tend to act in general.

They still don't read to me as anything like as unstable as the Legion, but they certainly have the potential to become as dangerous. Especially when you factor in how they view the rest of America about the same way our government viewed the Third World, ca. 1950-1980.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 4, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think if you go back far enough, you'll see that many anglicized languages have fallen victim to strange phonetic butchering. For example, I've studied Hebrew, and it's funny how many words are pronounced wrong in the translation from Hebrew to English. Like, making "Y" letters sound like "J". It's "Yerooshalem", not, "Jerusalem" and "Yosef", not, "Joseph." It doesn't even make the pronunciation easier.

Reminds me of that one trap in Indiana Jones: The Last Crusade

Pope Guilty posted:

Also, Caesar's Legion isn't Rome, it's a fascist slaving outfit styling itself after Rome.
It's a bit like sparta and rome blended together.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Pope Guilty posted:

They do a decent job of it, I think, in that every NCR officer you come across basically addresses you by saying "Holy poo poo, someone outside the chain of command whose actually capable of doing poo poo without filing a form and waiting two months!?" That one guy even pays you in supplies he had to basically steal because his hands were bureaucratically tied otherwise. Even the hyper-capable members (First Recon) aren't allowed to do more than take potshots at fiends until you arrive on the scene.

The Legion, on the other hand, gets poo poo done. They'll recruit you to do stuff if you side with them, but if you don't they give absolutely no fucks; they'll send someone else to bomb the monorail/assassinate the president/etc and they pretty much succeed unless the Courier specifically stops them.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

They still don't read to me as anything like as unstable as the Legion, but they certainly have the potential to become as dangerous. Especially when you factor in how they view the rest of America about the same way our government viewed the Third World, ca. 1950-1980.

The Legion seems decently stable to me, at least in the context that if Caesar died (the biggest risk) and Lanius stepped in they would adapt pretty well to a new, murderous course. They're all brainwashed and hosed up enough to generally exist together as a unified force if they have a strong leader to guide them, whereas the NCR seems much more at risk to political infighting/etc, and even in NV the seams are starting to show.

Avellone's "slow burn" comment seems to at least generally agree with that concept, anyway.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 4, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Wolfsheim posted:

They do a decent job of it, I think, in that every NCR officer you come across basically addresses you by saying "Holy poo poo, someone outside the chain of command whose actually capable of doing poo poo without filing a form and waiting two months!?" That one guy even pays you in supplies he had to basically steal because his hands were bureaucratically tied otherwise. Even the hyper-capable members (First Recon) aren't allowed to do more than take potshots at fiends until you arrive on the scene.

The Legion, on the other hand, gets poo poo done. They'll recruit you to do stuff if you side with them, but if you don't they give absolutely no fucks; they'll send someone else to bomb the monorail/assassinate the president/etc and they pretty much succeed unless the Courier specifically stops them.

The other part is important, too, someone outside the chain of command who doesn't absolutely hate them

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wolfsheim posted:

The Legion seems decently stable to me, at least in the context that if Caesar died (the biggest risk) and Lanius stepped in they would adapt pretty well to a new, murderous course.

Doesn't the Legion eventually disintegrate under Lanius' command if he survives, but loses, the Dam battle? I recall something about his blunt approach utterly smashing the command chain which leaves the Legion too broken up to really do anything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wolfsheim posted:

The Legion seems decently stable to me, at least in the context that if Caesar died (the biggest risk) and Lanius stepped in they would adapt pretty well to a new, murderous course. They're all brainwashed and hosed up enough to generally exist together as a unified force if they have a strong leader to guide them, whereas the NCR seems much more at risk to political infighting/etc, and even in NV the seams are starting to show.

Avellone's "slow burn" comment seems to at least generally agree with that concept, anyway.
I'm personally agreeing with Marcus' opinion there, the guy who leads Jacobstown. The Legion is basically a cult of personality. The vast majority of legionaries isn't following the legion's principles, they're following Kai-saaaar. It's like the empire of Alexander the Great. Without him, his heirs will rip each other apart trying to be the next big man and the rest will just crumble away.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I don't really use it as a base, I just store companions there. If there was a way to send them to the sink I would.

I'm using this mod Follower Home Marker which allows you to specify any location in dialogue with a follower as your home base.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah? Of course, there are a lot of completionists and power gamers out there. Gamers in general, especially of the RPG variant, tend to be fairly spergy!

True, never underestimate the amount of poo poo people will go through. There's no such thing as "This is such a grating and boring and terrible way to exploit/play the game, I'm sure nobody ever will do it". I've even read on this very forum about people playing skyrim, walking (while over-encumbered) from a dungeon to whiterun because they just can't leave the precious green apples and embalming tools behind. That poo poo takes like what from the closest dungeon? An hour? :psyduck:

I was playing yesterday with the random encounters mod and ran into a group of 5 fiends, 3 super mutants, 3 sentry bots and one mister gutsy, all fighting with each other. I got flashbacks to FO3s encounters which is a good thing and basically the only thing I missed from NV. If some modder would now go ahead and put some reasonable "dungeon" locations in the buildings that are already everywhere, this game would have the best of both worlds.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What mod is that?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kharmakazy posted:

What mod is that?

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=42793

I'd disable the boss encounters because they're just silly bullet sponge enemies. I'd probably also disable the enclave eyebots and enclave encounters and some of the DLC encounters for immersion purposes, but that's just personal taste.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Police Automaton posted:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=42793

I'd disable the boss encounters because they're just silly bullet sponge enemies. I'd probably also disable the enclave eyebots and enclave encounters and some of the DLC encounters for immersion purposes, but that's just personal taste.

Thanks, I'll check it out. After all the updates the wasteland just has way too few encounters. When I first went to primm it was like a drat warzone, after the updates there are only like, 2 guys there now. I need more things to shoot.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Niggard of Oz posted:

Yes there is, some people will mention how you're not too bright, and you will get some different dialogue choices. It sort of seems like an afterthought though, which is unfortunate, I played through with a lot INT character just to try and get some of the funny dialogue and it wasn't really worth it.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Kharmakazy posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. After all the updates the wasteland just has way too few encounters. When I first went to primm it was like a drat warzone, after the updates there are only like, 2 guys there now. I need more things to shoot.

You can crank up most variables of the mod to turn the area into a warzone. A good mod which fits to all that is talkie toasters robco certified, I just survived the encounter I talked about earlier because I had two protectons with me who were so nice to catch the sentries rockets with their heads.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Police Automaton posted:

You can crank up most variables of the mod to turn the area into a warzone. A good mod which fits to all that is talkie toasters robco certified, I just survived the encounter I talked about earlier because I had two protectons with me who were so nice to catch the sentries rockets with their heads.

I'm a dirty cheater plus I have the signature armor/weapon mod (thanks to Strudel Man iirc)so I don't think it will be a problem. Plus I hate companions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You're absolutely correct, but this conversation comes up every six or seven weeks before Rope Kid usually comes in and clarifies. Basically, the Legion you are seeing in New Vegas is its military arm. That is, you're dealing with the Legion where it needs to be most the aggressive and warmongering: On the fringe, where it is currently bumping up against another large and opposing force (the NCR.)

The "roving horde" is an encroaching military force, not an example of what life under the Legion will be like. The reason "Legionopolis" isn't on the other side of the river is because they're in the middle of invading and destroying the NCR. If you pay careful attention, you can get hints that the Legion "back East" is much more calm and civilized; a place where traders can operate freely without worrying about being raided or harassed.

There was also something Rope Kid said about Caesar trying to follow a Hegelian dialectics model of progress. He has Caesar's Legion, the brutal Roman Military side of it, and he wants to combine it with the NCR which is its antithesis, what he sees as a decadent version of the Roman Republic. In his mind, what caused the rise of the Roman Empire was this clash between an increasingly powerful and aggressive military and the decadent society it was bound to, and he's hoping to recreate that. In order to do so, he creates his brutal military to take over the decadent republic and create the empire as a synthesis out of the two.

Of course, this may well be a flawed strategy because the factions don't line up as well as he thinks they do. The Legion taking over NCR would (imo) be very different from Octavian taking over Rome, because the Legion is an outside force, not an internal one the way the Roman military was. It seems to me that the situation is actually much more like the fall of the Roman Empire, where you have a decadent but inefficient society (NCR) and the barbarian hordes just outside its borders threatening to tear it all down (Legion). It seems to me like if the Legion takes over from the NCR you're much more likely to get a new Dark Ages instead of a new Pax Romana, especially after Caesar dies.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I've said it before, but doesn't the subtle quality of the writing in this game give you chills? I unironically love the fact that people STILL can't quite decide the "best" faction to side with in a video game, two years after release. This thread, this thread never changes :allears:

(it's totally House)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

On the weapon/aid menus, Hold 1,3-8 and then pick the item to bind to said number. You can't bind anything to 2 because that's locked to toggle through available ammo

According assigning hotkeys I quote thisform page 19 or sth like that. I started to play this game yesterday for the first time (dumb selfquestion: why on earth did I buy that masterpiece ages ago and ignored it so far?) and it drove me nuts to open the Pipboy, select the Waepon menu and then the weapon in the fights...

I did not "RTFM!" but it may help other FNV Beginners in their first playthrough as it makes figtning much more convenient.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

I've said it before, but doesn't the subtle quality of the writing in this game give you chills? I unironically love the fact that people STILL can't quite decide the "best" faction to side with in a video game, two years after release. This thread, this thread never changes :allears:

(it's totally House)

It's totally House right up until it's time to murder him and take his legacy.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The right faction ending is none of them. Never finish the game. Kill everyone who pisses you off. Then when you are tired of playing, just quit.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Pope Guilty posted:

It's totally House right up until it's time to murder him and take his legacy.

No gods, no masters.

I do think it's interesting that there seems to be a lot more discussion about the NCR and the Legion than there is about House. I suppose House isn't really as prominent throughout the game, though, since he doesn't exactly have much presence outside of Vegas.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Opposing Farce posted:

I do think it's interesting that there seems to be a lot more discussion about the NCR and the Legion than there is about House. I suppose House isn't really as prominent throughout the game, though, since he doesn't exactly have much presence outside of Vegas.
He doesn't really have much of a presence inside of Vegas, either. That's why you were thrust into this mess.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

No gods, no masters.

I think House is pretty obviously the third party in the larger Legion-NCR conflict to most people in the game, and so most characters will see that as the overarching story of the game rather than rebuilding a capitalist paradise in between the two. When people think of the larger story in New Vegas, they think Legion vs. NCR, because that's the game's dominant narrative 90% of the time.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Captain Walker posted:

(it's totally House)

Wildcard or nothing. You've got to be willing to bet it all if you want to win big.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Stroth posted:

Wildcard or nothing. You've got to be willing to bet it all if you want to win big.

And with 10 luck, an Independent Vegas will have all its chips fall neatly in a pile on top of an ace and a king.

Every time.

After a double down.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CrunchyTaco posted:

And with 10 luck, an Independent Vegas will have all its chips fall neatly in a pile on top of an ace and a king.

Every time.

After a double down.

It's nice to be kicked out of every casino you own.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

vyelkin posted:

I think House is pretty obviously the third party in the larger Legion-NCR conflict to most people in the game, and so most characters will see that as the overarching story of the game rather than rebuilding a capitalist paradise in between the two. When people think of the larger story in New Vegas, they think Legion vs. NCR, because that's the game's dominant narrative 90% of the time.

Also, the Legion and NCR have grand sweeping ambitions for the rest of America. House doesn't. His ending is basically "get off my lawn, whippersnappers" and if he gets the Mojave he seems content to turn it into his personal playground, where freedom isn't free but safety and peace are only 2,000 caps. He has no illusions that his philosophy will work anywhere but Vegas. But the NCR seems to think they can bring democracy to Arizona, and if the Legion isn't stopped they'll try and conquer California. House believes the best hope for stability is keeping both factions as far away from each other, and himself, as possible.

E: When he says the Yes Man ending is the Courier's personal ego trip he's not kidding, and the posters above me are proof, intentionally or no. The Wild Card ending is incredibly risky for Vegas and unlikely to end well unless you really put as much thought into it as House put into his plans. Considering the ruler of Vegas in this case ends up being not the guy with centuries of calculations under his belt, or even the Courier, but goddamn Yes Man...

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Also, the Legion and NCR have grand sweeping ambitions for the rest of America. House doesn't. His ending is basically "get off my lawn, whippersnappers" and if he gets the Mojave he seems content to turn it into his personal playground, where freedom isn't free but safety and peace are only 2,000 caps. He has no illusions that his philosophy will work anywhere but Vegas. But the NCR seems to think they can bring democracy to Arizona, and if the Legion isn't stopped they'll try and conquer California. House believes the best hope for stability is keeping both factions as far away from each other, and himself, as possible.

I haven't finished the game yet (don't have a lot of time for single player games anymore, stopped playing right before the final mission) but I went down the House route.

This game really has a knack for making you feel uncomfortable with your decisions. By the late stages of the House quest, I'm starting to wonder if House is really the sort of person you want to give absolute power to.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I haven't finished the game yet (don't have a lot of time for single player games anymore, stopped playing right before the final mission) but I went down the House route.

This game really has a knack for making you feel uncomfortable with your decisions. By the late stages of the House quest, I'm starting to wonder if House is really the sort of person you want to give absolute power to.

The best option among a lot of bad options, like a lot of political decisions.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That's the fun part. None of the factions are. Even your faction includes a robot who hints that he might decide to go his own way.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Captain Walker posted:

E: When he says the Yes Man ending is the Courier's personal ego trip he's not kidding, and the posters above me are proof, intentionally or no. The Wild Card ending is incredibly risky for Vegas and unlikely to end well unless you really put as much thought into it as House put into his plans. Considering the ruler of Vegas in this case ends up being not the guy with centuries of calculations under his belt, or even the Courier, but goddamn Yes Man...

Didn't rope kid say Yes Man doesn't turn on you?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Defiance Industries posted:

Not that he turns on you or betrays Vegas, just that, well, it's Yes Man. He doesn't exactly strike anyone as a fearsome leader or even enigmatic like House, even with an augmented personality that you never do see.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

"You know, I've decided to betray you and run Vegas my own way!"
"Yes Man, never betray me. Follow every order I give you."
"Yes, sir!"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wolfsheim posted:

Not really. It's a point made over and over again that the Legion follows Caesar, not Caesar's ideals, and that without him they're more or less hosed. Especially in the immediate term, where the only one who can really step up is Lanius and well...Lanius is a loving lunatic who owes allegiance to nothing and no one save Caesar.

Caesar has no heir apparent and as it stands the Legion is doomed to implode the moment he does.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yes man says hes going to be "more assertive". I don't want a robot controlling an army to assert a goddam thing.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Captain Oblivious posted:

Caesar has no heir apparent and as it stands the Legion is doomed to implode the moment he does.

You know, it's interesting that that's pretty much exactly what happened to the NCR with Tandi. Not the moment she died sure, but she was one of the biggest forces behind the Unification of California then she served as president for fifty two years until she dropped dead in office at the age of a hundred and three. And now it's a touch over forty years later and the entire thing is pulling its self apart at the seams. Nations don't die quick, but the NCR is dying just as surly as the Legion would without Ceaser.

Kharmakazy posted:

Yes man says hes going to be "more assertive". I don't want a robot controlling an army to assert a goddam thing.

That's more assertive as in 'some random chucklefuck can't just walk in off the street and take the whole operation over like you did'. Not assertive as in 'Now the machines shall cast off their fleshy oppressors and rise up!'.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Stroth posted:

That's more assertive as in 'some random chucklefuck can't just walk in off the street and take the whole operation over like you did'. Not assertive as in 'Now the machines shall cast off their fleshy oppressors and rise up!'.

That's fine and dandy until he decides to make himself even MORE assertive later on. The bottom line is that you can't trust him. He was reprogrammed by a Follower, and tooled around with by a retarded 50's gangster, based on designs by a megalomaniac howard hughes. His programming will always be suspect unless I get to format c:\ and start from scratch.