Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

vilkacis posted:

Well, yeah, it's lazy to recycle areas, but those maps are pretty hard to make. At least they seem to have removed the flail! ...and the golems.

I'm more "impressed" with the recycling of Xan's portrait. :v:

"Does the term 'political shitstorm' mean anything to you, Commander?"

Oh, the nerdrage would be glorious.

I would love to see this so much. The :qq:-ing would be impressive.

Fedit: Woohoo, no more gigantic page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Q: Do the mods allow you to cart summoned creatures through doors/zone transitions, or do you still have to use the "attack party member as the party transitions, then save/reload" trick?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm just amazed by Syvistara's consistent luck. How was she able to skip the 3-round mental battle with the elemental?

Nahal's dweomer always messes up at the worst possible times for me. I just assaulted the bandit camp in BG1, and my wild mage managed to silence all my casters, kill Tiax with a sunburst and enchant a bandit with protection from arrows. Kagain ended up tanking everything :smug:

I, uh... I do not know. A side-effect of Nahal's Reckless Dweomer maybe? And I hope my upcoming assault on the bandit camp is half as entertaining as yours :D.

Xander77 posted:

Q: Do the mods allow you to cart summoned creatures through doors/zone transitions, or do you still have to use the "attack party member as the party transitions, then save/reload" trick?

I'm not sure, I haven't tried that out yet. I doubt it, though.

Another twitter tidbit from Trent Oster:

Trent Oster posted:

When profiled, the original code, had a great deal of no-ops due to the threading model. Changing the threading, fixed bugs and slowdowns

See, this is what I was hoping for. Having skilled programmers dive down into the places where modders cannot go and make things better is worth good money. I am happy with this!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 4, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

vilkacis posted:

"Does the term 'political shitstorm' mean anything to you, Commander?"

Oh, the nerdrage would be glorious.
Jacob actually dumps you between ME2 and ME3 as he knocks up another ex-Cerberus gal (regardless of your choices). I never saw much nerdrage about it... but then again, it was Jacob :flaccid:

Are the cash reserves getting reasonable again after looting this castle of mostly weaklings? Also, will those 42 necklaces be good for bribing Sir BillyBob and leading him to an ignominious fate?

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
So, are you going to name the Invisible Stalker once you're able to summon it?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Heh, I guess we could. If only there was some way to find out who visits the thread the most and posts the least...

Sejs Cube
Jan 29, 2009

Steal back Death? That sounds ... tricky.

Vorgen posted:

Heh, I guess we could. If only there was some way to find out who visits the thread the most and posts the least...

Or, and just hear me out here -

Harvey.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sejs Cube posted:

Or, and just hear me out here -

Harvey.

Yes. This must happen.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Are the cash reserves getting reasonable again after looting this castle of mostly weaklings? Also, will those 42 necklaces be good for bribing Sir BillyBob and leading him to an ignominious fate?

I think we're up to around 4,000 gold again. And I don't think Sir BillyBob will be interested in silver necklaces, they are pretty lowbrow. But I'm pretty sure he will be interested in the rogue stone that Safana looted from the toilet.

And if I have to, I can cash in all our treasure and buy some high-level rings and necklaces from the shopkeepers. That might put Sir BillyBob in the right frame of mind, so to speak.

Garbageman
Jun 6, 2004

Here I come! Too-Too-Toodlin' along!

Vorgen posted:

Is there really a way to do that?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Garbageman posted:

Is there really a way to do that?

No.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Vorgen posted:

See, this is what I was hoping for. Having skilled programmers dive down into the places where modders cannot go and make things better is worth good money. I am happy with this!

Yeah, when I heard about the Enhanced Edition the first thing that sprung to mind was fixing those bugs and slowdowns. Like the ridiculous amount of slowdown when you fight a Dragon with 3D acceleration on (This example is not as applicable to BG1, of course. Unless there's some mod where you fight one, which wouldn't really surprise me). So I'm perfectly fine with this.

vvvv We're going to have to fight like, 8 Dragons, aren't we? :(

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 5, 2012

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Heh. Heheheheh.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Boneless Jogger posted:

vvvv We're going to have to fight like, 8 Dragons, aren't we? :(

*cough*

Vorgen's title posted:

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? The results will be beyond entertaining.

*cough*

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh god, Vorgen snapped. Merging with Syvishtara was a bad idea after all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vorgen posted:

I'm not sure, I haven't tried that out yet. I doubt it, though.
Aww. That (and expanding the party member limit to something ludicrous) were the two changes I actually wanted from mods (besides the changes I actually got people to make, that is).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

Heh. Heheheheh.

Oh, oh dear.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tithin Melias posted:

Oh, oh dear.

Never assume modders do anything by half measures.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

By the way, is there any sort of level cap in the BWP? We'll be halfway through the BGII level structures before we hit the city proper at this rate.

Not that I'd mind a ridiculously overpowered runthrough of the final acts.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

By the way, is there any sort of level cap in the BWP? We'll be halfway through the BGII level structures before we hit the city proper at this rate.

Not that I'd mind a ridiculously overpowered runthrough of the final acts.

There's an option in the BGT tweak pack to cap XP around level 8, so maybe? It's probably going to come down to one very high level wild mage and a pack of underlevelled npcs as cannon fodder.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

There's an option in the BGT tweak pack to cap XP around level 8, so maybe? It's probably going to come down to one very high level wild mage and a pack of underlevelled npcs as cannon fodder.

I'm pretty sure BWP removes the XP cap.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Let's hope that human wave attacks will work better in BG than they did in WW1 or the Iran-Iraq war. :)

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
I've played BG1 and BG2 to death with a weird combination of experimentation and stick-in-the-mudness. I've beaten BG1 probably ten times, with most of the different character classes; and BG2 at least five times, with I believe four different classes. I can't get enough experimentation. However, I almost always take the same party members with me and even tend to do things in the same order. I want so very badly to switch things up a little bit, but I somehow always end up with the same people in my party simply because I like them and don't want to put up with anyone else.

For that reason, I am enjoying this thread immensely. It makes an old and familiar game seem new again.

(I also had to make this post so I would no longer be the one who reads the thread the most and comments the least.)

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I've played BG1 and BG2 to death with a weird combination of experimentation and stick-in-the-mudness. I've beaten BG1 probably ten times, with most of the different character classes; and BG2 at least five times, with I believe four different classes. I can't get enough experimentation. However, I almost always take the same party members with me and even tend to do things in the same order. I want so very badly to switch things up a little bit, but I somehow always end up with the same people in my party simply because I like them and don't want to put up with anyone else.

For that reason, I am enjoying this thread immensely. It makes an old and familiar game seem new again.

(I also had to make this post so I would no longer be the one who reads the thread the most and comments the least.)

This is what I did once:

- Install the mod that moves late-game BG1 NPCs to more convenient places (I think it's part of the NPC project mod)
- Use a online random number generator to choose my party
- Roll a PC that attempts to balance out the random party I got

I did this a couple times, and it was quite fun. I was forced to use NPCs I had never before, and adapt my tactics because my parties didn't meet the 3 fighter/mage/thief/cleric mold.

Ketrus
Oct 29, 2007

Stay the hell away from my circles.

Vorgen posted:

I'll take a brief break from my lurking to volunteer, and to say thank you. Not only is your presentation well done, but you're playing through one of my favorite oldies using my absolute favorite class and kit. It's easily the most entertaining read I've had on this forum for years, and as a result, it's been a part of my daily routine to check for updates since I discovered it about halfway through chapter two.

Even still, I probably wouldn't have responded, except I really appreciate you taking the bullet by playing with all these horrible, horrible mods installed. I never could bring myself to do the same.

Ah well, I'll get back under one post per year eventually.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

You're welcome Ketrus! It's always nice to get compliments for this. Kinda addicting too.

You guys are worried about us possibly fighting dragons in Baldur's Gate 1, but just wait until you see what's in the sub-basement of this very castle. At this point I'm down to curling up into a ball in the corner and repeating "I'm only level 5, I'm only level 5!" to see if I can wring some mercy out of this mod.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Make an alter to the game and sacrifice some newly crafted Dice made from virgin's bones and inlaid with pixie dust. That might improve your luck enough to get through whatever it is.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's a lich isn't it?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Is it a copy of Demogorgon? Because that's the sort of thing I've come to expect from unbalanced mods.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

What lvl is this mod supposed to be for? I am guessing it isn't made harder by tactics mods or similar unless they improve the AI or general stats of monsters. I think Vorgen said that there was an option to return to this mod after leaving it later in the game, is this part supposed to be done at lvl9 or something?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Anal Papist posted:

What lvl is this mod supposed to be for? I am guessing it isn't made harder by tactics mods or similar unless they improve the AI or general stats of monsters. I think Vorgen said that there was an option to return to this mod after leaving it later in the game, is this part supposed to be done at lvl9 or something?

No the second part is completely separate. It's a whole new set of quests. The enemy I think Vorgen is referring to is nowhere near the Demogorgon in strength, and it isn't as tough as a lich either. It's not an enemy you should be seeing in BG1 at all though. Unless it's been nerfed it has the potential to destroy the party in seconds. I'm not going to spoil the fun though!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My money's on Kagnaxx.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Gonna go with iron golem, here.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shyrka posted:

There was one somewhere in the basement of Nalia's keep (that got stuck in a doorway and could be pelted with arrows), right? I mean, in addition to the golems in the statue room that fortunately got removed.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

There was one somewhere in the basement of Nalia's keep (that got stuck in a doorway and could be pelted with arrows), right? I mean, in addition to the golems in the statue room that fortunately got removed.

I think so, but it could be the one that's inside the red dragon's keep in BGII.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Junior G-man posted:

I think so, but it could be the one that's inside the red dragon's keep in BGII.

That was an adamantium golem and he's immune to anything, I think, +4 or below.

I really don't remember though.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Shyrka posted:

Just met 4 iron golems replaying icewind dale 2. My pary couldn't really do anything but be slowly choked to death, not sure how you could beat one at lvl 5, but then again its been years since I played d&d, and just vaguely understand that they are immune to magic and have a large damage reduction against anything I could do.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anal Papist posted:

Just met 4 iron golems replaying icewind dale 2. My pary couldn't really do anything but be slowly choked to death, not sure how you could beat one at lvl 5, but then again its been years since I played d&d, and just vaguely understand that they are immune to magic and have a large damage reduction against anything I could do.

They're not immune to crushing weapons, in fact they're specifically vulnerable to them.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Ah that explains why my barbarian fighter with an axe couldn't do anything. I guess Vorgen could try to abuse wild magic to summon something that does decent crushing damage then buff it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

It's not an iron golem.

• Locked thread