Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 3 -> 2

Self compel on Dashing Forward.

JR and Hugues storm out the door. Mitsuo unclenches for a moment - just long enough to come to some sort of decision. "Ladies, I am sorry for this; we meant no harm. I need to make JR see that. We will catch up later." That said, he exits the room at a flat-out run.

The cab is just pulling out the massive driveway as Mitsuo slams open the Subaru's door. He prays with all his heart, holding in his gift as much as he can, that the engine won't pick now to crap out. After a good three-second heart-stopping grind, it catches. Mitsuo almost stalls it out by furiously throwing it into first. He hits 40 on the driveway, makes the corner...

Alertness +3, Foreign Correspondent +2, --// = +3 result.

... and sees the cab's trunk disappear on a side street. He takes that corner just to be safe, spots the cab a few blocks ahead, then falls back a bit. No sense getting too close; JR wasn't the most sharp-eyed man, but drat would things end badly if he got careless. Like that time in Dusseldorf. Mitsuo fingers a barely-visible scar on his wrist.

Many twists and turns later, JR's cab pulls up to the curb and he exits at his unholy superhuman sprint. Mitsuo watches with admiration as he- wait, is that Cole running the other way? The two figures vanish into an alley. By the time the Subaru's parked the alley mouth is aglow with eldritch light. As he enters, a rift or portal of some kind closes in front of him. The place is flooded with energy, light and dark and everything in between. Mitsuo sighs. Having come this far, there's only one thing to do. He pulls a steel-hilted knife and kneels to scratch on the asphalt with the pommel.

Banging open the portal. Complexity 3 which with Lore 3 Mitsuo can do in about 10 seconds. Taking all 3 points on one Disc roll with +5 -//+ = +5 and success.

The light rekindles, much more purple than blue this time around. Reality shreds in front of Mitsuo. He's through even before it finishes forming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This time JR's bullet goes right through the Ghostly Indian's chest and it makes a keening noise, the first sound it's made at all. It lunges desperately at Cole with its knife, but the Warden is ready and steps to the side, taking only a light cut on the arm.

The Spectral Indian shoots another arrow, and this one joins the very first embedded in JR's hat but otherwise does nothing.

Warden Cole FP:1

"Sounds good to me!" Cole says, and this time his sword takes the wounded fetch in the throat. Bright green splashes into the air, as if it was bleeding flourecent paint, and the glamour collapses. The fetch's true form- a black wavering shadow with bright white eyes- is visible for mere seconds before the swamp claims its corpse.

The other fetch narrows its green eyes and bares shark teeth at the two men.

"You really take this cowboy thing seriously, don't you?" Cole asks.

JR attacks Ghostly: -+// +5 = 5 Weapon:2
Ghostly defends: -+// +3 = 3, takes 6 stress. Moderate+ 2nd box.
Ghostly attacks Cole: //-/ +4 = 3 weapon:1
Cole defends: +-+- +3 = 3, takes 1 stress rolls up to 2nd box.
Spectral attacks JR //-- +4 = 2 weapon:1
JR defends: ---+ +5 = 3, takes no damage
Cole attacks Ghostly: ++++ +3 = 7 weapon:3(holy!)
Ghostly defends: /+/+ +3 = 5 ghostly cannot soak and DIES yaaay.

pre:
Name: Cole
Defenses: Athletics +3
Aspects: Veteran of the Vampire War. Come Hell or High Water.
Mental: () () () ()
Physical: (X) (X) (X)
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):
pre:
Name: Spectral Indian
 Defense: Athletics 3
 Physical: ()()() + ()()
 Mild 2: 
 Moderate 4: 

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
J.R. - FP: 5

"No sense trying to be something I ain't," JR replies. He's starting to feel better already - shooting things gets his blood up and makes him more confident. Now that one of the fetches is down, it's time to turn his attentions to the other.

Guns +/-+ +5 = 6 at Spectral, with a Weapon:2.
pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +5, Armor:2 (1 use, then use mental stress to re-use)
Applicable Aspects: The Last Gunfighter Ballad, The Devil's Right Hand, I Won't Back Down
Applicable Stunts: Shoot 'Em Where It Hurts: +2 Weapon vs. targets with armor
Physical:	() (X) () ()
Mental:		(X) (X) ()
Social:		() () ()
Any Mild (-2) Consequence:	(), Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	()
Any Major (-6) Consequence:	(), Any Extreme (-8) Consequence:	()

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

As JR gets his confidence back the fetch seems to waver. It barely even tries to dodge as the cowboy's shot takes it in the gut. When it tries to fire back the bowstring snaps, and the creature just stares at it, as if confused.

--

Warden Cole

"I really didn't have TIME for this." Cole growls, impaling the fetch through the back. It arches, keening like the other had just before it died. It's limbs twitch and spasm.

Spectral dodges: +--- +3 = 1, takes 7 damage, 5th box +mild.
Spectral attacks JR: ---- +4 = 0, ahahaha
JR dodges: +-+- +5 = 5 whiffff
Cole attacks ++-/ +4 = 4 weapon: 3 tag for +2
Spectral dodges: -//- +3= 1, takes 8 damage, moderate +4th box

pre:
Name: Spectral Indian
 Defense: Athletics 3
 Physical: ()()() + (X)(X)
 Mild 2: Gutshot (used)
 Moderate 4:Impaled
--

Mitsuo's portal opens into the dark empty air. His arms pinwheel for a second and he lands, roughly, in the boughs of a tall tree. It takes a minute to get his bearings, the light level is poor, only some glowing moss on the bark gives off a faint green glow.

The tree shifts under him, as if there's wind blowing through the branches. He's pretty sure there wasn't any wind and that's probably not good.

The sharp crack of a gunshot breaks the night silence and the tree... moves. Another gunshot. And Mitsuo is pretty sure the tree is WALKING towards the sound. It doesn't seem to have noticed him. A third shot, and by now Mitsuo can hear JR and Cole yelling to each other and the screaming death cry of some beastie. There they are, not twenty feet away now, fighting in the bright white glow of Cole's crystal.

And they're about to get jumped by a really, really pissed off Ent.

Ents are weak to Fire and Cold Iron. Preblock to come.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2

Well, this is not what I expected.

Mitsuo takes a moment to ponder dropping into Tolkien's nightmares. Then he surveys the Ent he's apparently riding. It's big. Really big. Big enough that a plain steel knife won't do much of anything, and the belt's binding spell is far too weak to help. He leans off the branch he's sitting on, scanning the trunk for- yes! Eyes. Big, hoary, lichen-encrusted eyes. Mitsuo grips tight with his knees to free up his hands. His gloved fingers weave through an intricate series of positions, finally coming up to point at the Ent's eyes.

Casting Blind on the Ent, it's a rote so no control needed. Aiming with Discipline +5 -//+ = +5 result. Big blind tree incoming!

pre:
Defenses:  Weapons +4
Aspects:  Dashing Forward, Cause For Alarm, In From the Cold, Kingdom of Shadows
Stunts:  nah brah

Phys:  ( ) ( ) ( )
Ment:  (x) ( ) ( ) ( )
Soc:   ( ) ( ) ( )
Any Mild (-2) Consequence: (Ripped Up), Any Moderate (-4) Consequence: 	()

Chrome Gnome fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 5, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

JR fires another shot, aimed to finish off the second fetch. "So where we going, anyhow?"

Guns ++-- +7 = 7, since I'm using that tag, at Spectral, with a Weapon:2.
pre:
Defenses: Athletics (Dodge) +5, Armor:2 (1 use, then use mental stress to re-use)
Applicable Aspects: The Last Gunfighter Ballad, The Devil's Right Hand, I Won't Back Down

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The shot takes the fetch in the head, and bright green blood flashes into the air. The fetch flashes into its true form for only a moment before sliding limply off Cole's sword into the muck.

--

"VFW Hall, got a call for help from one of the voodoo circle members, something broke in. I don't know if they got everyone out in time, the phone died on me. Let's hope we're still in time to help."

Cole takes a weary step towards the exit tree. He'd been saving his magic in case it was needed at the Prayer Circle, but he was physically exhausted.

--

"ROAAARGH" bellows the Ent, infuriated by the blinding spell. It crashes into the clearing where JR and Cole are taking a breath, huge tree trunk legs churning the mud into a froth. Both men throw themselves out of the way with plenty of room to spare. Mitsuo loses his grip fairly early in the romp and bounces into the air, landing in the muck in front of Cole and JR.

--

Spirits preserve us a loving Ent?! Cole would facepalm if he wasn't busy trying to stand back up. Of course, the gunshots. Waking an Ent up from its winter hibernation was a really good way to get killed in deepest Winter. "You know, JR, I'm starting to think that I'm cursed." He says, then offers Mitsuo a hand up. "And what are YOU doing here? With THAT?"

Not waiting for an answer, Cole takes a deep breath. Fire, fire is what's needed now. He's not really great with fire but beggars can't be choosers. "Remind me never to bring anyone else through Faerie ever again." He concentrates hard. None of his focus items are built for fire, of course so this is all on his own merit. He steels his nerve and yells: "Dubulela!"

Cole attacks the Ent with fire satisfying the catch: ++-+ +5 = 7 at Weapon:4
Ent defends: +//+ +2 = 4, takes 7 (catched.)

pre:
Mental: (X) () () ()
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):
pre:
Name: Enty the Angry Ent
 Defense: Athletics 2, armor:2  (Catch: fire/iron)
 Physical: ()()(X)()+ ()()()()()
 Mild 2: 
 Moderate 4: On fire!
Severe 6:
Temp: Blinded (2exchange)
New Init:

JR
Mitsuo
Cole
Ent

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

JR glares at Mitsuo for a moment, then turns back to the Ent. There'd be time to deal with Mitsuo after the Ent was dealt with. With the thing currently on fire, it was too distracted to dodge, and JR carefully aimed at one of the larger branches before firing, in an attempt to snap it off.

Tagging the On Fire aspect, so Guns +++/ +7 = 10. Weapon:2, plus the stunt adds another 2.
pre:

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 5, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo takes the hand and hops up. "Not with, just on. I followed your portal and it dumped me up there."

He turns to see JR blow a branch off with his hand cannon. That's going to be a tough act to follow. He pulls his knife, suddenly feeling somehow inadequate. Weak spot? No heart, bark everywhere... that just leaves the eyes again. As the Ent blunders into the group, Mitsuo snags a branch and hauls himself up, plunging his steel blade into the Ent's blind right eye.

Weapons +4, Blind +2, JR's consequence +2, /+++ = for 11 and Weapon:1 makes 12.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Enty defends: +-/- +2 = 1. Nice. +2 armor means 11 stress total, 9th and a mild

JR's shot knocks several of the fire-weakened branches off the rampaging tree-beast, and they hiss as they land in the cold water.

Enty defends: /-// +2 = 1 again! This ent is terrible. +2 armor means 12-3 = 9 damage but Mitsuo's poking knife satisfies the catch! So sever + 3rd rolled up to 4th box ouch.

The Ent thrashes about, roaring and swinging its huge tree limbs, but Mitsuo jumps out of the way without taking a hit. It's wounded badly now, past the point of madness, and seems to be tiring. Killing it might be a mercy.

pre:
Name: Enty the Angry Ent
 Defense: Athletics 2, armor:2  (Catch: fire/iron)
 Physical: ()()(X)(X)+ ()()()()(X)
 Mild 2: broken branches
 Moderate 4: On fire!
Severe 6: OW MY EYE
Temp: Blinded (2exchange)
--

Cole takes another breath. He's cold, really cold, as if the fire spell has taken all the warmth out of him. But one more should do it. One more.

"Dubulela!"

A great gout of flame envelops the Ent and the wood shrieks and pops, unable to resist the flames. It topples into the mud and lies still. Steam rises from the corpse. "Anything else want to gently caress with the Warden today?" Cole yells, falling backwards onto his rear end with a splash. "No? Good. Now help me up and I'll get the drat portal open."

Cole attacks with fiyah! /+-- +5 = 4 +weapon:4 +2 severe = 10. it only has 2 hp not gonna bother defending.

pre:
Mental: (X) (X) () ()
Minor (-2):
Moderate (-4):
Severe (-6):
--

Chepi arrives at the VFW hall and a scene of chaos. There are people, ambulances, a fire truck, and a few police cars. The stench of sulfur lies heavy on the air.

"Eep! Demons already!?" She squeaks, and tears off back to Hugues.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

JR flips open his revolver, dumping the shells on the ground. He then quickly reloads it, flips it closed, and points it at Mitsuo. "What are you doing here, demon-summoner?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo skirts a few branches, heading around the Ent's body towards JR and Cole. When he spots JR reloading his revolver, though, he decides prudence is a good idea. He ducks behind one of the larger branches in an attempt to stay out JR's line of sight.

Stealth +2 --/+ = +1 result. Eh.

"Hoping to talk to you, cowboy. Nothing more than that, so why don't you put the gun away?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

JR grimaces, then holsters his pistol. "Thought I told you we'd have this talk later, when we weren't lighting a shuck. Can't you leave well enough alone until then?"

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

"I see no sense in letting it fester." Mitsuo slides out from behind the tree. "Please forgive me being long-winded for a moment, but I feel I should explain my self to you, at least in part.

"I know you disagree with me. This is understandable, and your right. Whether what I did reflects on me as a person, I am not sure. We could debate that for days. That is not the point I think you should hear.

"But, we find ourselves in a dangerous situation. We agree that something must be done and that we should be doing it. When I was in the war, I knew many men that I disliked. Hated. Loathed, occasionally. There were fistfights and arguments and on one occasion both the other man and I ended up in hospital for a week. Even so, I knew that the moment we found ourselves in combat, he would put his life on the line to save me. On that basis of shared responsibility we worked together without hesitation.

"This city needs you. The others need you. Cole needs you, and I need you. And I believe we can work together so long as I know you will not shoot me when my back is turned. I have not seen enough of you to say whether you would. That is what I followed you here to learn.

Mitsuo takes another few steps forward and bows deeply. "I respect you, JR, and so long as we are working together you have nothing to fear from me. I even hope we can be partners, perhaps friends, when this is done. Please... say your piece."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

"My piece is that I already said I'd hold off on this until we've stopped whatever the demons are doing. And while you're flapping your jaw, people are getting attacked by demons. So Cole, let's get moving before it's too late." JR walks over to where Cole has gotten to his feet, turning his back on Mitsuo. If anyone had died because Mitsuo had slowed them down so he could yammer away, JR didn't know what he'd do.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

A long lonely howl echoes in the distance. Cole sighs and forces himself to his feet with some effort. "Why did I wear the cloak today? It's only about 800 lbs soaking wet." He staggers over to the palmetto tree and puts one hand against the bark.

"MY piece is that I am leaving this godforsaken swamp before-"

The howl repeats itself, closer this time. Another answers from a long way in the other direction.

"-whatever THAT is shows up. You can come with me or stay here and chat, your choice." A thin line in reality tears open, and the bright light of day pours through. Cole steps out of the wall of the small brick liquor store into an empty parking lot and sits down, gasping for breath. He grabs the edge of the hole with one hand and holds it with his will. Talk is cheap, but he wouldn't actually leave them there on purpose.

Sirens and flashing lights are visible on the far side of the building. Cole shakes his head. "I need to buy a car."

Disc +/// +5 = 6 to portal out, no problem.

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay

Mitsuo sighs. No one in this gods-forsaken country has any hint of patience. And that impetuous cowboy may be more trouble than expected. Still, he follows Cole and JR through the rift silently.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

JR steps through the portal after Cole. "Seems we may be too late, then. If there were still demons here, there'd be a mite more screaming. Still, it'd be best too look around and make certain."

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 6->5

The little pixie comes flying into the room, panting from the exertion and flopping onto Hughes shoulder. "Demons! Sulfur! At the place!" Jenny blanches, imagining the creature from the church at the day care. With the kids. Oh no.

Standing up and grabbing her keys, she grabs Hughes by the shoulder and drags him up and down the stairs with her. His little legs aren't making it easy, and he has to hop and skip to keep up with her pace. "Come on! We've got to get there to help!"

Almost throwing Hughes and the little pixie into the back seat, Jenny runs to the front door and throws it open before jumping into the seat. Ada hops in right as she stomps on the gas, wheels spinning in the nice gravel driveway as the car lurches forward and begins to accelerate. Ada is slammed into her seat by the acceleration, snatching her legs away from the door just in time as it closes with a bang.

The car peels out into the road, skidding through a wide arc before sliding into the right lane. Jenny holds the accelerator down as the car moves, trying to figure out the best way to get to the daycare. The light ahead turns yellow, then red, but Jenny ignores it and throws the car into another skidding turn, tires squealing as they leave rubber behind on the road. Fortunately the car catches before sliding into a row of parked cars and she corrects the course, still holding the accelerator down as they barrel through the city.

Drive /+-/ +2 = 2, dropping a fate point to invoke You Can't Stop Me to put the pedal to the metal and get there *fast*. Lives are at stake!

I assumed Ada would come with as well, so we didn't split the party. You know, again.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

In only a minute the swamp mud and any other debris from the NeverNever has turned to ectoplasm and faded away. Cole leads JR and Mitsuo around the corner of the building and they get a good look at what's left of the VFW hall. It looks like there's been a fire, the doorframe is burned black and there's a heavy smell of smoke and sulfur on the air.

The fire department is already gone and the last ambulance pulls away as they watch. A white sedan pulls up a half block away and the rest of the team piles out of it. Cole walks straight over to them. "I don't want to know. I really don't. Just stay put for five minutes, let the mortal authorities clear out. Whatever happened will keep that long."

The police cars are leaving now, and soon only one officer is left on the sidewalk, taking statements from a tall black man who looks like he's in his late fifties. "I really can't believe this." The cop says, loud enough that the group can overhear. "Third one this week. Somebody ought to sue the gas company."

"We're just lucky no one was killed." The man replies, and the police officer nods. A quick apology and goodbye and the last cop leaves. There's nothing protecting the scene now besides yellow caution tape.

"You are the Warden?" the stranger asks, walking up to the group. His eyes take in Cole's cloak and sword.

"I am. I got here as soon as I could."

"Not soon enough. The demons came looking for an artifact, and when they did not find it, they took my niece." He sounds bitter. "My wife is dead, and the artifact is stolen." The man's face is scarred by claws and teeth. One eye is cloudy white. When he moves his arm his open coat reveals a shining silver machete tucked along one hip. "I would hunt those responsible, Warden. If I have to cut a path of blood across this city, so be it."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hugues Turner Fate Points: 2

When Jenny pulled up, Hugues turned to his pixie companion. "Take a look around, see if the demons are still about. Don't get seen." Fortunately during the day, Chepi's yellow light wouldn't be very well seen. As the last police car pulled away, Hugues pulled out his Portable Veil and placed it on himself. He knew that Cole could handle the talking part pretty well, but for now Hugues wanted to take a look around as well.

(Applying Portable Veil, and using Investigations to take a look around.
Investigations: ///- +2 = 1... Meh.)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 5->4

Seeing Cole hesitate at the man's words, Jenny steps forward, taking pains to stay well outside the man's reach and trying to maintain a nonthreatening posture. He looked like he was about to break down, and she wasn't sure if he'd collapse or take a swing at someone with that giant machete when he did. "Hello, Mr. Nazarene. I'm Jenny Hirsch, and I'm helping to try and find the... things which killed your wife. Um. I know you're with the Compact, and I promise that I'll do whatever I can to help save your niece. What artifact was stolen, exactly?"

Rapport to make a good first impression on Andy and try and convince him that we're sincere; first roll is -/-- +5 = 2, so I spend a fate point on Ingenue's Intercession for a reroll and get /-+- +5 = 4. Not great, but it'll do.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Andy defends: /-// +3 = 2, Jenny makes a good impression.

"Jenny, eh. Sula told me you were one of the ones who found Pam. Stopped that... thing from destroying the body." He sighs. "Thank you, for that. At least we were able to bury her. The artifact is a small wooden box, about yea big." he makes a rectangle with his fingers about 3 inches by 7 inches. "It is... it can be used to power ritual spells, large ones."

He turns back to Cole, a little less fire in his remaining eye. "Since when do the Wardens conscript civillians?"

Cole shrugs. "Since there's less than a hundred of us left altogether, Nazarene. We can't afford to deny help when it's offered." He looked back at the group again, noticing that there was somebody missing who had clearly gotten out of the car. Best to wrap this up before the littlest Warden got into trouble.

Cole cleared his throat. "The Compact may have been officially neutral but you passed a lot of supplies through St.Giles, something we haven't forgotten. I'll do my best to assist in the hunt for your niece, but please don't just start a rampage. There's something deeper going on here, I'm not sure I have the full picture yet." Cole frowns at JR. "But it's getting there. Let's go see what there is to see inside."

--

Hugues frowns. For a wizard who's used to seeing the damage fire spells cause the pattern is clear. Someone heated the heavy metal door until the hinges buckled and tossed it aside, then came in, hellfire in hand. Hellfire was then thrown back near the tables, not aimed to kill but to distract and panic. The glass door to the playroom had shattered thanks to the heat, and the door to the basement was ripped off similarly melted hinges. It was quick then, in and out. The demon had wasted no time. When it didn't find what it was looking for it had snatched the girl and run.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 5, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 2 -> 1

As the group proceeds inside, Mitsuo edges his way up to Andy. "Mister Nazarene. I am Tsukada Mitsuo, please call me Mitsuo. どうぜよろしくお願いします。* To get to the point, I would like some more information about the artifact. I have some skill in thaumaturgy and may be able to help you locate it and hopefully your niece as well. Especially if you have a link of some sort that could focus a divination."

* Douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu. One of those phrases that doesn't translate at all but is used like "pleased to meet you" or "I hope we get along well."

Presence +1, Foreign Correspondent +2, --++ = +3 result to impress Nazarene as the worldly no-nonsense man that I am.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Andy seems to have calmed down a bit. "The artifact is just a plain wooden box. Pam and I were ordered to protect it a few years ago. There's something in it, something with power that can be tapped like a battery. Pam was gifted, like you people. She kept the box warded so no one could find it. When she died... There was no one to maintain the wards. I've been off the grid in South America for the last week dealing with fallout from the wizard's war. The box must have been calling for help the whole time."

He shrugs. "Regardless, the demon who hit the hall didn't have it because he took Claire and gave me three days to bring him the box before he kills her. That's the part I need help with. Because even if I had the box, I couldn't trade it for her. She's only one life... no matter how precious." His jaw sets, and pulls a small pink plastic hairbrush out of his pocket. The kind that usually comes with Barbies. "This is Claire's, she was playing with it right before she was taken." There are a few long dark hairs tangled in the brush and a few purple ones that must have come from a toy. "If there's anything you can do... please."

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1

Mitsuo is completely thrown by Nazarene's words. "I... I'm sorry, Nazarene-san. Gomen nasai. As soon as we're done here, my friends and I will try to find her." He pockets the toy brush for now.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

JR walks next to Cole. "Mitsuo and Hugues talked to a demon, and got some kinda message about a ritual to bring down God's wrath, using a tongue, an ear, an eye, and a hand from specific people. Don't rightly recall the exact wording myself, you'll have to talk with one of them. My own investigations make it likely they'll hit one of the music concerts, going on this week," JR says as he pulls out a notepad, with the performers and date/location listed.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Compel on Cole's high concept to not take this well. At all.

Warden Cole FP:1->2

Cole's eyes widen but he says nothing until Andy walks in the door ahead of them. "So that's what you meant when you called him a demon summoner back in the swamp." he says, turning on Mitsuo. "When this is done, you and I and the kid are going to have words." There is a threat in his voice that none of them have heard before. "You don't need to make deals with hellspawn for information when I already had it if you'd just ASKED." He shakes his head. "What do you think I've been doing the past two days, sitting in my office and drinking tea?"

Cole points through the door. "That man has been in the business of demon hunting for probably 40 years. If he gets a whiff of it on any of you not only is there going to be a fight, its going to make ME look like an idiot or an enemy, and that reflects on the entire White Council." Cole runs a hand through his hair and sighs heavily, trying to contain his anger. "Mitsuo, I want you to do that divination spell, out here. See if you can find the girl. And stay away from Nazarene."

He storms into the building without waiting for a reply.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 6, 2012

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

(Passive Alertness, /-/+ +2 = 2.)

Mistaya in IRC posted:

You hear a sound in the playroom but can't see what made it. Go~

Hugues crept around the destroyed parts of the building, looking for anything suspicious. It was doubtful any survivors were trapped inside, especially after the police went through, not to mention the demon wasn't really trying to kill, from the way fire spread. He thought he heard something in the playroom...but it didn't seem like there was anything here now.

Closing his eyes, Hugues thought of the attack. They were probably after the box he found in Nazarene's office. It was probably best to see if it was still here or hiding somewhere in the rubble. Doing Divination without a tool to guide was a little tricky, but Hugues Saw that box. Seeing something like that let him know exactly what to look for magically.

(Divination on the Jesus Box. Base Complexity 5 +2 on the Tag of the Jesus Box's "Feels Human" Aspect (discovered by the Sight), for Complexity 7.
One shift at a time: +-// = 0 --// = -2 /-/- = -2 -+++ = 2 ++-- = 0 /-+/ = 0 /+/- = 0.
No ---- = -4, so the ritual is a success.)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 7, 2012

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

...helphelpletmeoutletmeoutwhereareyousavemewhoamIletmeout...

A neverending stream of confused cries for help catches Hugues' ear. It's close. But the Hellfire's toxic residue is really playing havoc on any pinpointing he tries to do. When it was being actually thrown around the little voice must have been impossible to hear.

Andy and the girls come down the stairs just after the ritual ends. "Who the hell are you?" Andy asks, drawing the machete with a ring of bright steel.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 0

While everybody else was busy getting into adventures, Ada was busy doing...stuff. Rolling to do a declaration...result is /-+/, or 0. Spending a point on Sixth Generation Blood Magus (because this is related to the past) to add a +2. And that is that, for now.

"Oh no." Ada muttered as she saw Hugues disappear, out of the corner of her eye. After what had happened back at the duSang estate, she felt more than a little unwilling to let Jenny's young tutor slip away like that...especially after seeing Cole react to his antics the way he had. Ada didn't much mind the methods Hugues and Mitsuo had used to get the information...but the last thing they needed right now was more wariness and distrust between each other. "We're not going through this again." She said, as she set off into the ruined building, looking for Hugues. She had little luck trying to find him, but apparently Nazarene had been luckier. Following his voice, Ada arrived at the playroom. Taking in the scene, she quickly lifted a hand. "He's with us. He's clear." Looking at Hugues, Ada briefly glared at him, before softening her gaze very slightly. "Found what you were looking for?" She asked.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

When Andy came down stairs, Hugues quickly drew his sword and pointed it at the man with the machete, and was about to reply before Ada spared him that. "No...I...it's close, I can hear it. But there's so much magic pollution that it's making pinpointing it difficult."

Then Hugues turned to Andy as he sheathed his sword. "A friend, my name is Hugues. Sorry, I just wanted to get a quick look around before a bunch of wizards came in here." He looked around some more, and then back to Ada. "Hey, you can do Air magic, right? Think you could get some fresh air in this room?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ada duSang - FP: 0

Ada nodded. Good to see that Hugues was still capable of thinking fast on his feet, even when up to no good. "Just need a second for it. Everybody get out of the way." She said as she stepped up the stairs and out of the room. Ada was more used to resorting to brief, but powerful bursts of air, but she could manage it. "Just slow down a bit. Less power over a longer time instead of going all-in in an instant." For a moment, she simply concentrated, slipping into the mindset needed to manipulate the air. Then, she lifted her right hand up, and swept her left one from right to left in a wide arc in front of her. "Paralia." She whispered, as a gentle but persistent breeze came from the right, before going down the stairs and into the playroom, then back out again.

Rolling to place a Breath of Fresh Air Aspect on the room as a maneuver...end result is -+/+, for a total of +5! That's more than enough for the Aspect.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Hugues nodded in approval. "Thank you, that's just what I needed." He raised his hand again as he started to channel the Divination spell once more.

(Divination on the Jesus Box. Base Complexity 5 +2 on the Tag of the Jesus Box's "Something's Alive Inside" Aspect (discovered by the Sight) and another +2 on Ada's "Breath of Fresh Air" maneuver, for Complexity 9.
One shift at a time: /-/+ = 0 --+/ = -1 ///+ = 1 +--/ = -1 --/- = -3 ///- = -1 +--- = -2 --/- = -3 /+/- = 0
No ---- = -4, so the ritual is a success.)

This time he got it. The Hellfire essence was gone, and he could feel his hand tingling towards...the toy chest? Carefully, Hugues opened it up, and sure enough there was the box...only...

Mistaya in IRC posted:

it's covered in pink sparkley stickers and someone has written CLAIRE in black permanent marker on the top
:wtc:
With a look of pure bewilderment, Hugues pulls out the box and all of it's new decorations. Oh God Claire please don't be trapped in that thing. But for now, Hugues turns around and looks at Andy. "What...what in heaven's name is this?"

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 7, 2012

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4

quote:

"You don't need to make deals with hellspawn for information when I already had it if you'd just ASKED."

Before Mitsuo can follow the others, Jenny grabs the back of his suit and buttonholes him into a side room. "You didn't think to ASK before you got Hughes involved in DEMON SUMMONING" Jenny says angrily, leaning her face in close to his face and whispering to avoid being overheard on the somewhat sticky issue. "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? He's only ten! Ten-ish."

Reaching into his pocket and grabbing the hairbrush, Jenny brandishing it like a weapon at Mitsuo's face. "You're going to help me do something productive and figure out where that demon took the girl. It was bad enough when we had to do it, but we could have just asked? JR was right, you are a bad influence! Now help me with this tracking spell, and try not to mess things up even worse."

The tracking ritual is complexity 6. Working from a base lore 2, plus having the proper materials bumps it to 4 I believe. If I get a little help I can pull it off without having to invoke or declare anything else.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 7, 2012

Chrome Gnome
Jan 21, 2009

yum tum yummy tum tay
Mitsuo - FP: 1

At any other time, Mitsuo would probably sigh very pointedly at Jenny, but he's still off balance from his chat with Nazarene. He remains completely blank. "It was a joint decision. You of all people know that he is not just a child. But it is done and we have other issues."

He brushes past Jenny to find a relatively rubble-free spot on the ground, away from the eyes of passers-by. Kneeling, he sketches a twisted glyph on the ground with the pommel of his knife. Halfway through he flubs a line. Attempting to repair it, he accidentally cuts another line, then another. On the fifth try he wigs out and kicks the whole thing into a cloud of dust and ash. He stands motionless in the cloud, breathing gently. Eventually he closes his eyes and kneels in the grime. A few seconds later, he speaks. "Ready. I will lend you some power."

Botched Lore, successful Discipline for +2 complexity.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Jenny Hirsch FP: 4

Oh, a joint decision, huh. Hughes was going to be in so much trouble...

Kneeling by Mitsuo and carefully taking his hand, Jenny channels power into the circle, trying to get a sense on where the girl was now. Failing that, and she had a pretty good idea it wouldn't be that easy, her doll might give them a lead on the girl's location now.

Made my rolls on the dicebot to summon six shifts over six turns.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Jenny takes a deep breath and wraps one of the girl's stray hairs around her finger, gently probing it with her senses. Claire, she calls in her head. She has a weak mental image of the girl, barely glimpsed through the playroom door the last time. But it solidifies, slowly, as if coming into focus. She can feel the girl's fear across the distance separating them. Jenny focuses on that feeling and draws closer. There is something blocking the image, maybe water, maybe some demonic power, so Jenny focuses on the toy. A purple horse clutched in the little girl's hands. It's far away, and damp, and dark.

"Mommy..." Scratches, scratches on the wall. Water. Darkness. A grate, light filtering in above it.
"Shut up." A snarling, animal growl. The heavy thunk of a boot on the grate. Shadows dance.

Jenny recoils as if slapped, as something cuts off the link between her and the girl. But the connection was real for a moment. And Jenny has a pretty good idea where it came from. The Marina.

--

"That's it!" Andy declared, sheathing his machete. His face breaks into a wild grin. "The Lord works in mysterious ways, indeed. My niece has the gift, she must have heard it calling and decided it was a toy."

Cole nods. "One disaster averted, then. No box, no ritual."

Andy shakes his head. "Not necessarily, but it will be much harder."

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

If Hugues had perfected the art of raising a single eyebrow at any time during his lives, he would have done so right then. "Ritual?" Wait...was this box related to the ritual Murray had so joyously sung about? "What are you two talking about? I keep hearing some kind of whispering from this thing...Claire's not in it, is she?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Andy shakes his head. "No, Claire is not in the box. It's always cried and begged, when it wasn't warded into silence. I figured it was a trapped demon."

--

Warden Cole FP:2

Cole gives Hugues a Look that clearly says 'We will be talking later.'

"Whatever's in it, it's a power source for rituals. Big, nasty ones. The kind you usually have to sacrifice a whole bunch of human lives for." Cole looks at the box, grimacing. "Which is why it can probably still be done without the box, it will just be a lot messier."

Andy nods gravely. "A dozen killings, at least."

Cole sighs. "I don't know the exact ritual that's being planned but there's a pattern of more than 15 murders over the last six months, all mutilations. I think they're linked. Someone's been trying to do this spell for a while but for some reason it didn't work. I think that's why the demons got called in."

Cole looks at Andy. "Why don't you walk us through what happened here? Maybe there's something we missed."

--

Andy nods. "Claire was in the playroom when we were attacked. It looked like a young man, average height and weight with dirty blonde hair. But I don't know any humans who can throw Hellfire like that. I was standing back by the tables with Sula and Vanessa and a few others. Intercession-" he gripped the handle of his machete, "Spared us from most of the flames, but two people were badly burned. I pursued the demon down the stairs to my office, and we fought briefly." He frowned. "I managed to cut it on the shoulder pretty well before it threw me into a wall and threw my own desk at me. I guess it didn't want to light the basement on fire in case the box was there. By the time I got out of that mess it was gone, and so was Claire. It gave the ultimatum to her mother, Vanessa. 'Bring the box here in three days or the girl dies.'"

mistaya fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 8, 2012

• Locked thread