Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Forgot to change my patch last night, ran out the door this morning, felt fine all day, decided I'm done with the patch two weeks early. Yesterday marked 10 weeks quit. Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
I just bought patches and they gave me a giant rash on my abdomen, and then later on my arm. loving epilepsy, I can't take any of the pills. I might go get the gum and just chew a little as needed. It makes more sense, too, since I won't be feeding myself a constant stream of nicotine.

I am so sick of smoking, but I feel like I don't know what the hell to do with myself without it. And that's the worst part of all; feeling like it's such a part of me that I'm almost "lost" without it. I can't go out with my family without thinking constantly about how I'd just like to have a cigarette. (I don't smoke away from the house, or in the car.) I'm kind of like an obese person: All I can think about is "food". No matter where I am, no matter what we're doing, all I can think about is when and how I'm going to get my next cigarette.

I've had about 3 cigarettes today. Down from.... 10-12 a day? I don't have any left. Tomorrow morning is going to be interesting....

LifelongFan
Dec 25, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The patch has been a huge help for me. I'm 18 days smoke-free and haven't had the withdrawal symptoms yet. I went a day without the patch accidentally and was okay, but I'm still going to follow the entire course. I haven't really noticed any difference physically yet, but it feels good to have gotten this far - and not constantly thinking about my next smoke break when I'm at work.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

LifelongFan posted:

The patch has been a huge help for me. I'm 18 days smoke-free and haven't had the withdrawal symptoms yet. I went a day without the patch accidentally and was okay, but I'm still going to follow the entire course. I haven't really noticed any difference physically yet, but it feels good to have gotten this far - and not constantly thinking about my next smoke break when I'm at work.

Congrats! How long/how much were you smoking?

I was _miserable_ today. I took back the patches and bought some of the gum. And then I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked three throughout the day. :/

I'd forgotten that the last time I quit smoking the worst part was the idea that I would never be able to have one again. I had to keep telling myself that I would eventually have one, and that's what made me get past the mental part of it. This time, I did it cold turkey and I was having more issues with the mental part of it than anything.

e: Also the first one I smoked today really tasted like poo poo to me. I take that as a good sign!

nerdzrool fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 4, 2012

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

nerdzrool posted:

I might go get the gum and just chew a little as needed.

Don't chew a little chew a lot!

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
8 months today. :toot: keep it up guys.

banana fingers
May 19, 2005

Today is day 55 without a cigarette and I must say I feel pretty god drat good. I too used the patches... I started on the second step and then proceeded to the third step as directed. What I found to be the biggest hurdle was just breaking the habit of smoking. I was smoking about a pack/pack and a half a day and after every single thing it would be time for a cigarette.

I feel so much better now and I have been off the patches for a while and I am coping just fine! I don't get any cravings and I no longer have any triggers! Keep up trying to quit even if you flub and cave in. I caved many times, but I always told myself that I was going to quit and by giving myself deadlines I was able to finally do it!

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I smoked for 7 years, 5 of which were a pack a day. I have been quit for 2 years and 3 months now. I quit smoking about 2 weeks before my son was born, which was a huge help. Quitting around an important time in life seems to make doing anything that I don't really want to to easier. Another big help in the mental part of quitting, which took me many attempts to figure out, is accepting the fact that I love and I mean LOVE smoking and will most likely for the rest of my life.

Accepting the fact that I knew it would be a life long struggle for me has literally made it that much easier.

Good luck to you all.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake
I found this website last night: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

It's not written that well, but there are a few things that were helpful. Like this:

quote:

It's critical during early withdrawal to not skip meals, especially breakfast. Attempting to do so will likely cause blood sugar levels to plummet, making recovery far more challenging than need be.

As a stimulant, nicotine activates the body's fight or flight response, feeding the addict instant energy by pumping stored fats and sugars into the bloodstream. It allowed us to skip breakfast and/or lunch without experiencing low blood sugar symptoms such as feeling nervous or jittery, trembling, irritability, anxiousness, anger, confusion, difficulty thinking or an inability to concentrate. Eat little, healthy and often.

Also, heavy caffeine users need to know that (as strange as this sounds), nicotine doubles the rate by which caffeine is eliminated from the bloodstream. One cup of coffee, tea or one cola may now feel like two. While most caffeine users can handle a doubling of intake, consider a modest reduction of up to one-half if feeling anxious or irritable after using caffeine.

If your diet and health permit, drink some form of natural fruit juice for the first three days. Cranberry juice is excellent. It will aid in stabilizing blood sugar while accelerating removal of the alkaloid nicotine from your bloodstream.

quote:

If a smoker, you didn't continue destroying your body's ability to receive and transport life giving oxygen because you wanted to. You did so because a rising tide of withdrawal anxieties would begin to hurt when you didn't.

Contrary to convenience store tobacco marketing, we did not smoke for flavor or taste. In fact, there are zero taste buds inside human lungs. Contrary to hundreds of store "pleasure" signs, drug addiction isn't about seeking pleasure but about satisfying a brain "wanting" disorder.

Our mind's priorities disorder had most of us convinced that we liked or even loved smoking. But what basis did we have for making honest comparisons? Try hard to recall the calm inside your mind prior to getting hooked, going days, weeks and months without once having an urge or crave to smoke. You can't do it, can you? So what basis exists to make honest comparisons about liking the addicted you more than the free you? It isn't that we liked smoking but that we didn't like what happened when we didn't smoke, the onset of withdrawal.

quote:

Most of us convinced ourselves that we smoked to relieve stress when in reality our addiction intensified it. While nicotine is an alkaloid, stress, alcohol and vitamin C are each acid generating events that accelerate elimination of nicotine from the bloodstream. Stressful situations would often induce early withdrawal, forcing immediate nicotine replenishment. Replenishment's temporary silencing of our disease left us falsely convinced that smoking had relieved our stress, when all it had relieved was nicotine's absence and the onset of early withdrawal.

I particularly like the bold section. It's just like I've felt; I cannot remember what it felt like to not be addicted. I can't imagine life without it. It's sickening and insane.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

nerdzrool posted:

I particularly like the bold section. It's just like I've felt; I cannot remember what it felt like to not be addicted. I can't imagine life without it. It's sickening and insane.

I remember before I quit, trying to imagine going days without smoking, it felt like an insane thing to imagine. My brain's response to the concept was basically, "Wait, surely you don't mean consecutively."

KBD
Mar 24, 2010

get a butt

XK posted:

I remember before I quit, trying to imagine going days without smoking, it felt like an insane thing to imagine. My brain's response to the concept was basically, "Wait, surely you don't mean consecutively."

Haha yes.

I was very determined to quit and focued on the positive consequences of doing so, but I honestly believed and had reconciled with the idea that I was missing out on something fun, relaxing, and stimulating. I never believed ex-smokers when they said they didn't miss smoking.

It's only been a couple of months but I look back and am amazed that I could ever confuse addiction with pleasure.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.
Day 400 without a smoke, stay strong goons.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
You're all a bunch of quitters!

This weekend at the bar, a girl I was pretty into finally got it inside my head that I need to quit and quit for good. After a while of chatting, and some chemistry between us, she mentioned my smoking and about how disgusting it was. I jokingly admitted that I was weak and that the cravings would undo me. Coolly, she asked "What if you craved me instead?" I don't know why, but that stopped me dead in my tracks and made me really think about what I might be missing out on.

Anyway, I'll be a quitter with you soon enough.

nipple clumps
Apr 28, 2005
GUYS I RANKED ON THAT FIGHT :smug:

:gizz::gizz::gizz:

nerdzrool posted:

I found this website last night: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

It's not written that well, but there are a few things that were helpful. Like this:

Seriously, everyone should read The Easy Way by Allen Carr. All of this is included in the book and it is written really well (although it's a bit repetitive but that's part of drilling it into your head I'm sure). But yeah, the idea of that calm you used to have before you became addicted to cigarettes is what finally got me to quit. Until I had read his book I had never thought about it in those terms. I thought "Quitting is going to suck because I'm so addicted and withdrawal is hard and I'm too weak because I'm so addicted and even thinking about it is making me smoke more ahhhhhhhhhhhhh". That passage basically turned me on to the idea of, "Oh, the cigarettes are actually making me more stressed out... I want to be calm and relaxed like I was before I ever smoked one!"

When I read that section of his book, which the website you linked pretty much parrots, it really resonated with me.

Now I've been smoke free for almost a whole month, I'm not on any drugs or aides any more, and I'm never smoking another cigarette. Good luck to you all, it's a fantastic feeling.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Still haven't smoked since October 31st, 2008.

Think of them as little penises.

nerdzrool
Aug 30, 2004

omg cake

Mein Eyes! posted:

Think of them as little penises.

Not all of us are straight men....

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've gone almost two days without smoking now. I decided cold turkey was the only way, I was hooked on e-cigs last year and they just led me back to smoking cigarettes anyway.

My biggest hurdle right now is that I have a cold, and I work a night job so I'm now sitting wide awake at 5 in the morning, feeling a little dizzy and out of it from withdrawal (this is not the first time I've quit). I'm probably going to hit up Wal-Mart for some cleaning supplies and rearrange furniture in my room just to keep myself occupied.

I seriously can't wait to go to work tonight because it's a guaranteed 7-8 hours where I'm locked inside a building and couldn't smoke even if I wanted to.

Seriously, it's this boredom that is killing me more than any physical withdrawal.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

panorama_change posted:

Day 400 without a smoke, stay strong goons.

God drat good going man.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

I just started my 3rd week of chantix (the second box) so I've been smoke free for about 8-9 days or so. So far the drug worked as described and I have no issue's with it. The thing is I forgot to take my pill this mourning. Is there any benefit to finish the whole 4 weeks? I'm thinking gently caress it because my mind is already made up. I'm never ever going to touch a cigarette again.

With that said I have no problem continuing the full month. Just wondering if anyone else just stopped early.

metalturkzt
Apr 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah good one man, if your mind is made up, your off the 3 week or so physical addiction, and you'll only think about having a smoke a few times a day. Easy Hard.

The thing you gotta watch out for is the deadly fast uppercut fukka. It comes fast and low so you don't see it.After my first 2 weeks of quitting I had one bad night and then bamm, spent 20 bucks to have 3 smokes.. It stopped there but drat that was easy. That was 2 months ago.

Do any quitters like me feel less nimble, in the head, than normal after quitting?

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Ive been off cigs for 11 days now. Im not sure about my brain being less nimble but im certainly scatterbrained. Every time i have a craving (all the loving time) my brain is racing for the next few minutes. I feel great so far and have made the decision to never go back. The only downside is ive gained almost 15 lbs. Not sure how much is from quitting and how much is just me getting older. Im the proto rail thin goon so 15 lbs evenly distributed wouldnt have bothered me. Unfortunately it all went to my gut, and with skinny arms and chicken legs it is not a good look. And yes if anyone is curious ive been eating junk food ravenously since i quit, to the tune of a couple hundred dollars worth of fast food.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Wait 15 lbs in 11 days? That's not really good. I'm not here to judge but that sounds even less healthy than smoking.

When I was first quitting a major roadblock for me was breaking my habit of routinely rewarding myself for things. I used to tell myself "get out of bed, because you can smoke soon" or "if you finish this project you get to smoke again". I had to retrain myself that waking up, working and everything else a human being does were worth doing without bribing myself. You've transferred your reward system to something else just as bad. Get into the mindset that you are quitting smoking because you are trying to better yourself, and you don't need to over eat.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

No, Babou, that was all sarcasm.
YES, ALL OF IT, YOU FOX-EARED ASSHOLE!
I have finally decided to quit smoking after a smoking a pack a day for the last 11 years. Before that I was a more casual smoker for about five years.

I am now on day 11 without smoking, and it is not getting any easier. I should also mention that I am going cold turkey on this.

One of the biggest problems I have been having is trying to do certain things that I usually smoked while doing. I can't bring myself to talk on the phone for more than a few seconds, and I work really long hours at work that now seem to drag now that I am not taking a break to smoke every so often.

LifelongFan
Dec 25, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still go take outside breaks, just without the cigs.

I forgot to put the patch on today before going to work, and holy poo poo did I get road rage coming home. I was yelling at every other driver, typical nicotine withdrawal rage. Didn't crave a cig but proved why I need to do the whole patch course drawdown (got one more week on the 21 mg patches)

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Today marks my first full day off cigarettes since 2006.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

LifelongFan posted:

I still go take outside breaks, just without the cigs.

I forgot to put the patch on today before going to work, and holy poo poo did I get road rage coming home. I was yelling at every other driver, typical nicotine withdrawal rage. Didn't crave a cig but proved why I need to do the whole patch course drawdown (got one more week on the 21 mg patches)

Where I work, the only people outside are smokers smoking it up. I don't think I am ready to be around all that yet.

We have a full sized gym at my work, but only people that Patrick Bateman would refer to as "hard bodies" go there. I am too embarrassed to drag my overweight rear end in there. I keep saying that I will go after I lose a few pounds while being aware that the easiest way to lose them would be to overcome my self shame and go there.

This time has been harder than the last few times I have tried to quit, but for some odd reason I am very optimistic that this time it will take.

Whargoul fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 6, 2012

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I quit smoking in October. Had a fumble. Quit again. Basically four months without. My husband and I separated on Monday. I really want a smoke. :-( I in fact want ALL the smokes. I was at a cafe earlier this week and considered approaching a student to sell me a smoke. I miss cigarettes. I miss my smelly thinking time with them. And I miss their magical appetite suppressing qualities. Because I like to eat my unhappiness and right now I want to devour everything.anyone have a good tip to combat this one? :-(

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I quit cold turkey almost two weeks ago and it will take every ounce of my strength to keep me from smoking at this party tonight. Wish me luck.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

Squared posted:

Seriously, everyone should read The Easy Way by Allen Carr.

This should be a default reply to 90% of the posts in here.
Even if you're a complete sceptic it will help with the hardest part of 'quitting', the brainwashed idea that you need to or like to smoke. You're just a nicotine addict. Did you like your first smoke and think oh this is loving great, I can't wait to cough my lungs up again?

Hooves
Nov 25, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been smoking for 6 years now. I'm to the point were I don't even enjoy them anymore except when I'm drinking and I recently quit drinking so now seems like the best time to try and quit.

I can already tell this is definitely going to be harder to quit than drinking was. I feel like I have nothing to look forward to without cigarettes. I know that's ridiculous since I enjoy so many things more than I enjoy smoking but I guess I don't look forward to anything as much as my next cigarette. Except for other substances. which I'm also not touching. gently caress.

Hooves
Nov 25, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jax posted:

This should be a default reply to 90% of the posts in here.
Even if you're a complete sceptic it will help with the hardest part of 'quitting', the brainwashed idea that you need to or like to smoke. You're just a nicotine addict. Did you like your first smoke and think oh this is loving great, I can't wait to cough my lungs up again?

I can distinctly remember my first and what a phenomenal headrush it gave me so yeah, I enjoyed it. However That was the last time I ever got that same sensation from smoking. I can't even remember what a genuine nicotine buzz feels like.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ferroque posted:

I quit cold turkey almost two weeks ago and it will take every ounce of my strength to keep me from smoking at this party tonight. Wish me luck.

Hey, good luck! I still want one when I'm drinking. I've fallen back into it so many times while boozing that I'd feel like an idiot if I let it happen again.

I quit about three weeks ago cold turkey on a whim. Smoked for almost ten years and finally just got angry enough about how I've paid tens of thousands of dollars over the years to make myself wheezy and gross-smelling for literally no good reason.

gently caress cigarettes. Good luck, goons.

Whargoul
Dec 4, 2010

Ferroque posted:

Good luck, I am rooting for you.

I am terrified of the idea of my first social outing with alcohol.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

Our mind's priorities disorder had most of us convinced that we liked or even loved smoking. But what basis did we have for making honest comparisons? Try hard to recall the calm inside your mind prior to getting hooked, going days, weeks and months without once having an urge or crave to smoke. You can't do it, can you? So what basis exists to make honest comparisons about liking the addicted you more than the free you? It isn't that we liked smoking but that we didn't like what happened when we didn't smoke, the onset of withdrawal.

Yeah, I read this before I quit and it is one of those things that really stuck with me. In the end the need to keep the nicotine supply in my body up was causing more stress than it relieved.

After a while when you realize you haven't even thought of smoking for a month you really dig that calm. It makes you understand why the serenity prayer is so popular with the AA/NA groups.

quote:

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,

Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

(skip the jesusy part at the end if that isn't your thing)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I had been smoking for approx 5-6 years, my gal recently quit and then gave me a "Well I don't know why I should be stopping if you aren't" last month so I threw my pack in the trizzash. I gave in once but honestly I'm not jonesing anymore. I guess the keys for me was a guilt trip combined with not treating quitting like a big deal.

Good luck to you all! It's a bummer but there's just too many upsides. I wanna see that future son!

I still smoke reefer though, I don't know if that counts.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Two weeks tobbacco products free :) No dip or smokes or chew, or nicotine replacement aids either.

To be honest this was easier than I thought.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Hungover "I didn't smoke any butts at the party yesterday" post, thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

How! posted:

Today marks my first full day off cigarettes since 2006.

Atta boy! How are ya doin today?

Just popping in to say you guys rock, gently caress cigs and I'm at over 14 months now :)

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
So I guess I'm a little different. I stopped smoking about 3-4 years ago, but really just replaced my smoking addiction for a snus addiction. In all honesty it's a far better addiction to have than smoking if you're using the right stuff, but I hate having one in when I want to kiss my girlfriend. I want to be absolutely perfect for her, so I'm dropping the snus. It'd also be really nice not to be dropping like $50 a month on something I don't need.

I've already stepped down to the weaker snus varieties, (4mg - General Mini when I can get it and Camel when I can't) and I've stopped ordering it online completely. I've also spaced out my usage more, since I was just chaining the stuff before I met my girlfriend. I even slept with it in pretty regularly; those are some wild dreams.

I really want to switch over to gum before I quit though - cold turkey never worked for me when smoking and I doubt it'd work for me now either. The gum would help force me to space it out more, and I could go a step farther down than I can with snus - the 2mg step. The poo poo is way too expensive, though. I remember when switching to snus finding some places online to get it for dirt cheap, but can't find them anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: Some words of encouragement for people trying to quit. If you can make it long enough, you'll never want to touch them again. I've tried a cigarette or two since I switched to snus and they are loving revolting to me now. Even secondhand is pretty bad. Good luck goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

1 month, 6 days since my last smoke. $284 saved. I feel great, have energy, sleep better, am way less irritable, and overall feel more relaxed and healthy. Last week I had some major cravings that came out of nowhere but they passed within a day or 2.

Really wish I made this decision a few years ago.

• Locked thread