Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
I seriously couldn't think of anything but Pantera while listening to that song. The vocalist sounds like what I imagine a Phil Anselmo death metal voice would be, the lyrics are childish like Pantera's (anger lyrics for teens), and the song is built on the same macho redneck tough guy teenager crunch riffs as Pantera songs. Dying Fetus stinks. Cool for the wall of death crowd, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

I seriously couldn't think of anything but Pantera while listening to that song. The vocalist sounds like what I imagine a Phil Anselmo death metal voice would be, the lyrics are childish like Pantera's (anger lyrics for teens), and the song is built on the same macho redneck tough guy teenager crunch riffs as Pantera songs. Dying Fetus stinks. Cool for the wall of death crowd, I guess.

Actually this is Phil Anselmo's death metal voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_1_HWxYOTQ

Anselmo gets a lot of hate and poo poo for Pantera etc, but the guy knew metal, and hardcore very well.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
He coulda been something if he didn't completely pickle his brain on booze and heroin. Keep the high paying job in Pantera and turn those 3 billion side projects into good music instead of junk.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Down owns. :colbert:

m-o-o-n posted:

What, playing for an audience of meatheads? I hate to break this to you, but

I never said they were good, but compared to the rest of that lineup...

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

He coulda been something if he didn't completely pickle his brain on booze and heroin. Keep the high paying job in Pantera and turn those 3 billion side projects into good music instead of junk.

I thought Arson Anthem was pretty great hardcore, and the Necrophagia album he played on and wrote was decent.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I loving love dying fetus. Yeah that new song sounds exactly like all of their other songs but gently caress it it's a good song.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I've chosen the dark
I've chosen the night
I've lost hope of loving a day of life
The shades of night belong to me
I am at one with hell
Dead inside I watch the time pass
I await the coming of my day

A little late, but Black Trip is too hilarious.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
http://www.metaltown.se/

Almost as good as last years (actually better on account of Gojira coming, best news I've had this year!) line-up! Now all that needs to happen is Trivium disappearing under mysterious circumstances never to be seen again and At the Gates taking their slot.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Martout posted:

http://www.metaltown.se/

Almost as good as last years (actually better on account of Gojira coming, best news I've had this year!) line-up! Now all that needs to happen is Trivium disappearing under mysterious circumstances never to be seen again and At the Gates taking their slot.

There are a few more bands than just Trivium that should be killed off on that list...

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Killsion posted:

There are a few more bands than just Trivium that should be killed off on that list...

Not a soul would miss Within Temptation if their bus ran off the Älvsborgs bridge on their way to the festival either. The festival administration called it "a happy accident" and all other bands for some reason decided to cover Metallicas Ain't my bitch during their gigs? Also Marilyn Manson could get arrested for possession and deported or whatever and few people older than 14 would mind.

Couple of names I know nothing about on that list as well, which other bands should I put on my fortunate plane crash wish list?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Martout posted:

Not a soul would miss Within Temptation if their bus ran off the Älvsborgs bridge on their way to the festival either. The festival administration called it "a happy accident" and all other bands for some reason decided to cover Metallicas Ain't my bitch during their gigs? Also Marilyn Manson could get arrested for possession and deported or whatever and few people older than 14 would mind.

Couple of names I know nothing about on that list as well, which other bands should I put on my fortunate plane crash wish list?

Killswitch Engage, and Devildriver. I certainly don't like Mastodon or Machine Head either but I don't quite think they should die in a plane crash.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Killsion posted:

Killswitch Engage, and Devildriver. I certainly don't like Mastodon or Machine Head either but I don't quite think they should die in a plane crash.

Yeah but if they survived the crash, I'm sure Mastodon would write a pretty gnarly song about the whole event.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
While I definitely don't like either of those bands they aren't as obnoxiously bad as Trivium or WT. WT is just poor mans Nightwish and I don't even know what the gently caress to call Trivium because nothing I can think of is bad enough.

Finally seeing Gojira live will easily be worth drinking beer and making fun of some awful gigs while waiting though. Last year I was laughing my rear end off at Cradle of Filth while waiting for Meshuggah and it was all good fun!

edit: honestly Cradle of Filth live is loving hilarious, you just sort of stand there wondering why no one is intervening and whatever happened to civil courage and then the band playing at a nearby stage starts soundchecking really loud and for a very long time in the middle of songs on purpose.

Martout fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 4, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martout posted:

WT is just poor mans Nightwish

I'm not sure I'd even call them that anymore. At least Nightwish kind of pretends to be metal still.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Nightwish are horrible too and especially live, make no mistake. My only experience with WT is seeing them at Roskilde back in like 2004 because we were drunk as poo poo and went to the wrong stage which would have been fine had it been any other band in that years line-up but loving hell were they awful.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Green Day is apparently inducting Guns N' Roses into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in a few weeks.

What the flying gently caress?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Man, my vinyl copy of Obscura showed up today. I don't have a record player and probably never will but I'm so glad I can finally own this album.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sigh definitely isn't what I was expecting.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

the yeti posted:

I don't know about you but I expected a return to Imaginary Sonicscape with Gallows Gallery and Hail Horror Hail tossed in... Which is exactly what I got, and I loved it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

the yeti posted:

Sigh isn't what anyone anywhere was expecting.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Not a huge fan of Iced Earth, dig a few tunes, but they destroyed Melbourne this evening. The change in vocalist has done a great deal to improve them in my opinion.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

EugeneJ posted:

Green Day is apparently inducting Guns N' Roses into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in a few weeks.

"Does Gunsen Roses play a guitar? He does? Does Green Day have one? Oh they do? Perfect, book it"

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Any Mnemic love in this thread? I got into them big when I was just getting started with tech death and Meshuggah was the alpha and omega, but after having passed that through my system Mnemic still has some goddamned catchy riffs and their overall "texture" I would describe as a blackened human heart beating inside of a steel carapace, like a cyborg but more brutal or something, I don't really know where I'm going with this simile. Here's a link for "Liquid" which shows off their original singer, versus their current singer ("Diesel Uterus") whom fans of Scarve will recognize. Apparently they just shed 3/5ths of the band, leaving the singer and lead guitarist, so their 2012 album could really go either way; I'm curious to see if the aforementioned "texture" remains, because that's really what keeps me into these guys.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Are you upset that Green Day is inducting GnR or that GnR is being inducted?

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Carl Seitan posted:

Are you upset that Green Day is inducting GnR or that GnR is being inducted?

Personally I would be upset by both.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I was operating under the assumption that Green Day was banned from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on principle. Surprising indeed!

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Oh god, does this mean that we're going to get a crappy pop-punk cover of Welcome To The Jungle? Or even worse, a crappy GNR pop-punk tribute album?

Also, this is the Metal Thread. The only reference to GNR should be if someone says "Slash is an ok guitarist, I guess."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Killsion posted:

I don't know about you but I expected a return to Imaginary Sonicscape with Gallows Gallery and Hail Horror Hail tossed in... Which is exactly what I got, and I loved it.

Eh there's a bit too much for me. The "skits" and non-musical bits really kill some of the songs.

Also their keyboard guy got a little overzealous with the evil_laugh.wav button

That said stuff like Track 2 is a really nice fusion of their GG playing with IS production which is nice, GG would be much better received if it sounded like that in the first place.

Mostly though I wish they would focus on the weirdness that made IS unique rather than scary circus uneXpect stuff.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gorilla Radio posted:

Oh god, does this mean that we're going to get a crappy pop-punk cover of Welcome To The Jungle? Or even worse, a crappy GNR pop-punk tribute album?
It would be like a reverse Spaghetti Incident

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Martout posted:

While I definitely don't like either of those bands they aren't as obnoxiously bad as Trivium or WT. WT is just poor mans Nightwish and I don't even know what the gently caress to call Trivium because nothing I can think of is bad enough.

Finally seeing Gojira live will easily be worth drinking beer and making fun of some awful gigs while waiting though. Last year I was laughing my rear end off at Cradle of Filth while waiting for Meshuggah and it was all good fun!

edit: honestly Cradle of Filth live is loving hilarious, you just sort of stand there wondering why no one is intervening and whatever happened to civil courage and then the band playing at a nearby stage starts soundchecking really loud and for a very long time in the middle of songs on purpose.

At Bloodstock in 2009, CoF were headlining, and someone in the crowd threw a gobstopper at the stage. It hit guitarist Paul Allender with enough force that he had to go to hospital.

We renamed gobstoppers "gothstoppers" after that - although I don't think throwing stuff at bands is ever justifiable.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
For those of us with terrible taste, DragonForce's new album leaked and they released the first video from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4GXgaCFTI

It's DragonForce. Full of power metal harmonies and guitar wankery, although they've toned down the "video game guitar" quite a bit. I really like the song and I'm looking forward to the album.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

co199 posted:

For those of us with terrible taste, DragonForce's new album leaked and they released the first video from the album:

It's DragonForce. Full of power metal harmonies and guitar wankery, although they've toned down the "video game guitar" quite a bit. I really like the song and I'm looking forward to the album.

I haven't really bothered listening to these guys since Sonic Firestorm (which I liked), or really any power metal lately for that matter, but this is a solid song. Haters gonna hate.

Also, upon further inspection, this is one of the shittiest pieces of album art I've seen in awhile.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Trees and Squids posted:

Also, upon further inspection, this is one of the shittiest pieces of album art I've seen in awhile.

You obviously didn't see the art for their last album.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I've heard worse power metal than the new Dragonforce. That said, are they still trying to pose as supremely technically proficient guitarists? Because that's what makes every guitarist I know hate them.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

At Bloodstock in 2009, CoF were headlining, and someone in the crowd threw a gobstopper at the stage. It hit guitarist Paul Allender with enough force that he had to go to hospital.

We renamed gobstoppers "gothstoppers" after that - although I don't think throwing stuff at bands is ever justifiable.

Yeah that's way uncool, even against CoF. The sound check was also less of a sound check and more of a fred durst guitar solo youtube for 20 minutes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Martout posted:

I've heard worse power metal than the new Dragonforce. That said, are they still trying to pose as supremely technically proficient guitarists? Because that's what makes every guitarist I know hate them.

Yeah that's way uncool, even against CoF. The sound check was also less of a sound check and more of a fred durst guitar solo youtube for 20 minutes.
Only one Roadrunner band really badly deserved to get things thrown at them until they got offstage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

If someone can throw a piece of candy hard enough to put someone in the hospital that guy should be tracked down and given a baseball contract

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Misogynist posted:

Only one Roadrunner band really badly deserved to get things thrown at them until they got offstage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ

I love completely out of place bands on a lineup exactly because of the toxic audience reactions.

And that new Dragonforce song isn't bad. I find them hard to hate, but that's partially because I think they're a cheesy gimmick band and they know it. Although that doesn't stop me hating Powerglove.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I genuinely like the new album, it's really good. Didn't really like anything after their first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

co199 posted:

I am a huge fan of DF and really like the songs I heard off the new ablum, especially this one. I think Marc Hudson was a great replacement for ZP Theart and like his vocals as much as I ever liked ZP.