Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I wish I could enjoy Mario killing his parents a little more, but I'm almost 99% sure this is a fantasy that Lazerbot has in his head re: his actual parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

E: /\/\/\Death happens alot get use to it/\/\/\

God I hope Lazerbot is on spring break or something like that. He's churning out top-quality material at an amazing pace.

*bat to the face*
hahah trolls be trollin

Should somebody tell Lazerbot he forgot to write "nascar" on Kario's shirt? :ohdear:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

they dont even have a door on there back door

also if the plan went so flawlessly why is luigi loving dead?

Suzuki Method posted:

I'm sure someone, somewhere in this thread's last, dying words will be "hahah trolls be trollin".

God drat it. Are you loving serious implanting that thought in my head? gently caress. You get now when I'm on my deathbed I will literally only be able to think of "hahaha trolls be trollin"

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!

mario posted:

there' a group of people like you? that makes me sick

*murders his father*

so i burned down the house with my parents in it.

:ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I found the scene of mario batting his parents to death quite disturbing. Sometimes I almost forget that lazerbot is clearly disturbed.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

I haven't thought of the whole meta aspect of the comic, so I thought it was hilarious - the only conclusion Mario could come to after discovering his parents were dicks was to murder them with a baseball bat.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

RIP Kario.

From now on whenever I play a Mario game, I'll see his speech style as the crazed ramblings of a parent killer.

"It's a me! Okie dokie! Ya-hoooooooo!"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, I finally got some free time, so here's Chapter 4's song. Enjoy!

Your Next (Song for Chapter 4)

my fist are harder then metal
harder then brick
your starting to loose your power
i will kill you and let my son do schticky to your body

sonic you told us to never run from a fight
im gonna kick you right in your hairy ballsack
your fight is now with me troll
hes quick ill give him that

[CHORUS]
the boss killed sonic with out even trying
and sonic went all out and even went super saiyan
the boss troll didn't even get hurt...
and he let me live so i could let you know your next

poo poo that move has no affect
because hes a robot
take this you stupid bitch
wait i got a idea

you can bite me all you want
how did (the) robot know my fire move?
he copys everything he sees
perpair to be annihilated

(chorus)

you got to get up your our only hope
i just peter pan kick his rear end
oh poo poo..... well im dead
dont kill the alligator. let him live

shadow wheres shadow? i need to talk to shadow now
really do shadow im missing a loving eye
dammit dude you got blood in my eye.
now everyone is gonna think i was ragged on

(chorus)

[BRIDGE]
oh my god they killed sonic
what i did was no different from
what you did to daffy and bugs
luigis fight was staged

we did what we could to confence them.
but luigi helped the trolls kill sonic and our friends
that Sacrifice had to be made
Disposable items to use to reach our goal

(chorus)
and he let me live so i could let you know your next

----
And just to re-post in case you're looking for the first three chapters:
(with Music Video)

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 5, 2012

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

FrenchToasty posted:

RIP Kario.

From now on whenever I play a Mario game, I'll see his speech style as the crazed ramblings of a parent killer.

"It's a me! Okie dokie! Ya-hoooooooo!"

Puts a new perspective on his depressed cries of "Mama mia!" whenever he loses.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

JazzFlight posted:

Jazzflight keeps on givin'

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I found the scene of mario batting his parents to death quite disturbing. Sometimes I almost forget that lazerbot is clearly disturbed.
calm down. Just because Mario is hosed up doesn't mean his creator is.

If characters were always a reflection of the author, then people like George rr Martin and Stephen King would be in supermax prison right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd say the author very likely has some personal issues that he's exploring via this comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, at least Lazerbot never wrote kids loving in the sewers. I really don't feel this comic reflects any issues in Lazerbot's life.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'd say the author very likely has some personal issues that he's exploring via this comic.

I'd say that's a stretch. You can't make assumptions like that with something as comparatively tame as this. If anything I'd say he's just thrown Mario into a stereotypical abusive family with that unique TGT spark.

It's grim, it's gruesome, it's something any teenager would write.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

You could literally say this about any art that disturbs you, made by any artist, in any medium ever.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
I didn't get the feeling that the 'bot was channeling anything from his personal life AT ALL (at least not consciously), and saying he was would be a disservice to his storytelling abilities. Pretty sure he never wanted to launch a dude into a mountain in real life, or rape a corpse, either. Come on you guys, just cause a character is violent towards his parents doesn't mean you need to get all Freudian in this bitch and cast said character's actions on it's creator (well not 'creator' per se, but you get my drift).

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JazzFlight posted:

Man, I dunno why but I appreciate comedic 'They Might Be Giants' and parody style songs way more than 'actual' songs. Thing is, I enjoy them as if they were in fact traditional songs, I even find myself memorizing the nonsense lyrics and singing them back to myself.

I noticed this trait in myself as soon as I first discovered the Auto-Tune the News videos. Then again when I came across the brilliant stuff Bad Lip Reading has been making. And I just have to say your songs have been right up on par with them for me.

I will admit I can barely tell if I genuinely enjoy this comic series or if I only simply love reading the commentary by this thread as well as watching/listening to the videos and music that it spawns.

It's almost certainly the latter

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

cletepurcel posted:

Ok I've gone too long in this thread without claiming an avatar, I'd like to call dibs on the canan mountain death gif please.

edit: both the gifs are too large. Hmm maybe I'll go with a Kario instead.

Oops. I'll optimize it.

Try this one:

Pug Rodeo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2012

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's terrible, but I hear all of Mario's dialogue as spoken by Lou Albedo, the guy who did the TV show. It adds a level of gritty realness that I'm not sure this webcomic needs.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
I don't think it's fair to say that Mario killing his parents is some sort of reflection of laserbot himself. The parents are pretty much the most exaggerated and stereotypical media portrayals of abusive/deadbeat parents possible. And it's been established and mentioned by other characters at this point that Mario is an unstable unfeeling psychopath who goes way too far, not someone to emulate. Giving a character like that a "parents were abusive, he finally snapped and killed them, that was the first step in the path to evil" is a pretty common villain backstory.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Man, I dunno why but I appreciate comedic 'They Might Be Giants' and parody style songs way more than 'actual' songs. Thing is, I enjoy them as if they were in fact traditional songs, I even find myself memorizing the nonsense lyrics and singing them back to myself.

I noticed this trait in myself as soon as I first discovered the Auto-Tune the News videos. Then again when I came across the brilliant stuff Bad Lip Reading has been making. And I just have to say your songs have been right up on par with them for me.

That's called being a huge nerd, man.

Vengarr posted:

It's terrible, but I hear all of Mario's dialogue as spoken by Lou Albedo, the guy who did the TV show. It adds a level of gritty realness that I'm not sure this webcomic needs.

Lou Albano, and it's not terrible, his portrayal was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65uNCLBTje0

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lurdiak posted:

That's called being a huge nerd, man.
Well, if the shoe fits.

I will say I feel a strong need to comment how the more recent pages of this thread seem to have picked up a decidedly white-knight tone regarding the comic's author. It went from satirically praising his work for the plentiful laughs it created in spite of itself to giving off the firm impression a lot of people think this is in fact a masterful work of art and at all intended.

If anything became intended at all I'm certain it was way later when he supposedly started actually reading this thread. Even then I'm not totally convinced. I'm just not really sure what to think. Fittingly enough I'll probably be dissected for this very post. Whatever.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Wait... so it was Mario who saw Shadow last night high as poo poo with a shovel?

:aaaaa:

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

FadingChord posted:

Wait... so it was Mario who saw Shadow last night high as poo poo with a shovel?

:aaaaa:

Pori was behind another rock.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Mario and Luigi did the plan flawlessly to what?????

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I really liked the Chapter 1 call back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ZuljinRaynor posted:

This comic has better continuity than pretty much any movie or TV series christ...

I wish BSG or LOST were written by this guy.

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

I was hoping that Mario would explain that his initial meeting with Shadow that he played dumb, otherwise it's continuity error.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FrenchToasty posted:

Oops. I'll optimize it.

Try this one:

I think it should pause a bit more on the first and last frames.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Well, if the shoe fits.

I will say I feel a strong need to comment how the more recent pages of this thread seem to have picked up a decidedly white-knight tone regarding the comic's author. It went from satirically praising his work for the plentiful laughs it created in spite of itself to giving off the firm impression a lot of people think this is in fact a masterful work of art and at all intended.

If anything became intended at all I'm certain it was way later when he supposedly started actually reading this thread. Even then I'm not totally convinced. I'm just not really sure what to think. Fittingly enough I'll probably be dissected for this very post. Whatever.

I don't think it matters. Does authorial intent change whether or not something is enjoyable?

This comic (and Hitmen for Destiny which everyone should read it's fuckin' dope) represent a different kind of story than the ones most of us are experiencing elsewhere (in movies/games/books/etc). It's not consistent with the real world (where a lot of our stories take place) but once you get into it, it has an internal consistency that makes it pretty engaging. I want to know what happens next, which is, I think, the most basic litmus test for whether or not a story is being well-told.

I don't think anyone in here is claiming this is high art. This isn't Watchmen or Maus or some other highly-praised art. But it's storytelling and its entertaining and its engaging.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for outsider web comics like this?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

Okay, I finally got some free time, so here's Chapter 4's song. Enjoy!

The best one yet. The hook is strong.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I think it should pause a bit more on the first and last frames.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cechmanek posted:

I was hoping that Mario would explain that his initial meeting with Shadow that he played dumb, otherwise it's continuity error.

The material is too smart to talk down to its audience. He doesn't need to hit you over the head with these things, there's a subtle nuance to it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

I hate being condescending like this, but your both right and wrong. This comic is terrible (artwork, spelling/grammar, unintentional ludicrousness), but it's also genuinely entertaining in it's own right (intentional humor like Sonic apologizing to us that picking up Tails looks gay, a weird but smart internal consistency and continuity, and entertaining characterization and art experimentation), it just manages to be both at once.

Also he was intending that even before he began reading the thread. I think your forgetting the part were Sonic had his loving head popped off and everyone called Shadow a loving monster and idiot for what he pulled. This comic stopped being a simple 'revenge on internet trolls comic' way before goons got involved.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 5, 2012

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

That DICK! posted:

The material is too smart to talk down to its audience. He doesn't need to hit you over the head with these things, there's a subtle nuance to it.

I can't help it, it just feels like a loose end to me. God help me I care way too much about this comic.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I just finished Hitmen For Destiny, and now I don't know what to do with my life free time.

It was brilliant though, I loved the random things like, that you'd be blind if your eyes were invisible, and the argument about water buffalo vs. gnus.
And just the story elements like Lostclock coming back as a ghost, and reveal of how. Or Maythorn using her statue power to make claymation movies at the end. :3:

The monsters were great too, they were all very specific things like a little kid would dream up. "This cow thing slings these rock creatures, also these frogs use the rock creatures as weights to generate electricity! :D"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can we give Hitmen for Destiny its own thread already, it's really got nothing to do with Tails gets Trolled.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Lurdiak posted:

Can we give Hitmen for Destiny its own thread already, it's really got nothing to do with Tails gets Trolled.

As a corollary, can we stop using "outsider" as an adjective to describe either one?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Amateur Saboteur posted:

As others have noticed, Lazerbot's been doing similar work for years. It doesn't match the scope of TGT, but it's pretty clear he's got a legit sense of humor and he at least started out just writing stuff he and his friends would enjoy, with no care for any kind of broad audience.

TGT can't really be measured against traditional illustrating or writing because it certainly breaks most of those rules, however unintentional that may be. I think it's very much a gestalt thing; it's the cool story with characters we all know, written for no other reason than Lazerbot just thought it would be awesome. The art and writing style contribute to its awesomeness, because we get to see stuff flow from the author's mind without any filters or restrictions. It's raw and sincere and appeals to the kid in every TGT fan who sees beyond the technical limitations of the work.

I'm enjoying the hell out of TGT, but I can't really compare it to anything else I like. (I'm frequently accused of being a huge book/film/music snob.) You might not be able to defend it as great art (because everyone has a different idea of what that means), but it's certainly great entertainment.

ZuljinRaynor posted:

gently caress yes, that was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Radiapathy posted:

I'm enjoying the hell out of TGT, but I can't really compare it to anything else I like. (I'm frequently accused of being a huge book/film/music snob.) You might not be able to defend it as great art (because everyone has a different idea of what that means), but it's certainly great entertainment.

Isn't he also drawing all of this in MSPaint using a mouse? As far as webcomics go, MSPaint ones are usually at the bottom of the pile, and while that is part of the charm here it does make what he's accomplished that much more impressive.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 5, 2012