Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Cigarette ads should just tell people to buy a vaporizer and some weed. New tagline: "Nicotine is expensive as poo poo, and you don't even get high. C'mon man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Ugh. This new wave of anti-smoking commercials. They make it seem like literally anyone who smokes a cigarette will have a horrifying voicebox and a stoma or lose both legs due to poor circulation. Some bullshit. Let me smoke myself to death without reminding me of the consequences, please. :colbert:

I'm gonna go have a smoke because gently caress all your smokeproblems.

e: ^^^^^They're probably made out of recycled humane shelter dogs.

I quit smoking a while back and every time I hear or see an offensively stupid anti smoking ad I want to light up just to spite them. And film it and send it to them saying "see what you made me do, you assholes?"

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It's honestly no different than any other scare tactics that have been used to push drugs, especially in that it's so extreme that it basically makes itself ineffective, because a single pack of cigarettes is not going to do that to you, so you don't really keep people from starting, and the people who already smoke very likely know the risks anyway, so showing them yucky pictures won't help.

I dunno how much of a say the tobacco companies get in the content of the ads (obviously none, legally), but it doesn't seem completely far-fetched that they might push something like this to hold to their legal obligations without actually trying to get people to stop buying their product.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
The strainer. Perhaps one of the easiest to use inventions ever made beyond the door stop and paper weight combo that is the common garden rock, or thats what I use to think. Behold the simple strainer for those people who can not figure out how to use a bowl with holes in it.

https://www.simplestrainer.com/ video is on their site since theres no youtube of it yet.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
A couple years ago there was a Verizon ad featuring an Asian man carrying a bag full of baby stuff. He passes a Verizon store and sees an ad for the HTC whatever was new then and has an inner monologue where he convinces himself that his new daughter would want him to have an awesome phone so they could play games together and stuff.

Last night during 30 Rock I saw the same ad, except obviously the store signs were now for the Samsung Galaxy Note and the inner monologue is now about him getting one for him and his wife. Except he's still carrying the bag of baby stuff because they just recycled the footage. :thumbsup:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ah yes, the Samsung Galaxy Note... too small to be a good tablet and too big to be something you keep in your pocket, what I've always wanted!

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Oh pepperoni...how much I love ya :dogout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTLFJI6BHVE

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bUQfLwMTwk
The Pedi Spin
Oh...my...God. We know this is a vibrating foot file, WHY do we need to see the literal sheets of flesh peeling off? I could have gone the rest of my life not seeing some woman on TV sloughing off half her drat foot. Also on the youtube version you can't really hear it, but on TV there's this constant droning buzz every time they show the thing in action that causes an instant headache for me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Should I know who the weird old guy is in those McDonald's chicken nuggets commercial? I swear I've seen him before but I'm drawing a blank.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Stairs posted:

The Pedi Spin
Oh...my...God. We know this is a vibrating foot file, WHY do we need to see the literal sheets of flesh peeling off? I could have gone the rest of my life not seeing some woman on TV sloughing off half her drat foot. Also on the youtube version you can't really hear it, but on TV there's this constant droning buzz every time they show the thing in action that causes an instant headache for me.

Haha, holy moly, that's disgusting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Stairs posted:

The Pedi Spin

Why do people keep inventing and selling these things? Are there really that many people concerned with their foot skin being too thick?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are there really that many people concerned with their foot skin being too thick?

Yes, they're called women.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

The Avengers: Red Baron Pizza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAP6XoWB3A

Is it just me or does he look like the "the snozberries taste like snozberries!" guy from Super Troopers?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Eh, not really aside from the fact that they're both kind bug eyed. But I doubt the guy in the pizza commercial is married to someone as hot as Geoffrey Arend is. I would hate him if I didn't want to give him a high five.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
So is Old Navy trying to snap up the whole former cast of Blossom or is it just coincidence?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What's up with the Subway crab sub commercial where like 4 people have clearly dubbed over voices?

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

DJExile posted:

What's up with the Subway crab sub commercial where like 4 people have clearly dubbed over voices?

As someone from Maryland, the idea of a subway "Krab" sub makes me want to vomit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kanish posted:

As someone from Maryland, the idea of a subway "Krab" sub makes me want to vomit.

You're not the only one. I'm about as far from the ocean as you can get but that fake crab poo poo can go to hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Favorite pick up line: "Calibrating"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this? posted:

Favorite pick up line: "Calibrating"

I watch that ad every time it comes on, just in case someone's keeping track and it gets him more work.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
It was on the radio, and I hated it because it had annoying sounds in it simulating tinnitus, they were selling a drug to help tinnitus called quietus. I was amused at the name cause that was the name of a government subsidized suicide pill in this one boring b-movie I watched.

VVV knew I'd get someone. It was just built up too much for me by goons, it was great production and acting, I just kept expecting it to go somewhere. They could've at least had baby diego beating the autograph seeker to death happen onscreen!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 3, 2012

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Wagonburner posted:

It was on the radio, and I hated it because it had annoying sounds in it simulating tinnitus, they were selling a drug to help tinnitus called quietus. I was amused at the name cause that was the name of a government subsidized suicide pill in this one boring b-movie I watched.

Children of Men was not a boring B movie, it was an awesome A movie.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Do banner ads count? Because this dude is really creepy and annoying all at once, I feel like he's going to abduct someone and force feed them Wheat Thins or something.

That subtle smirk...

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Late at night here in southeastern US they have started showing ads for a penis pump. True story. This is on comcast basic cable.

Nothing is sacred anymore.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

Should I know who the weird old guy is in those McDonald's chicken nuggets commercial? I swear I've seen him before but I'm drawing a blank.

This commercial annoys the gently caress out of me because it implies this girl has just been chilling at mcdonalds all day. Last I checked McDonalds wasn't a "hangout" for the mid 20's crowd.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hexel posted:

Late at night here in southeastern US they have started showing ads for a penis pump. True story. This is on comcast basic cable.

Nothing is sacred anymore.

If you're talking about the Pos-T-Vac, that zombie has lurked basic cable for years now. Like 5-10 at least. And it looks like it was filmed farther back than that.

vyst posted:

This commercial annoys the gently caress out of me because it implies this girl has just been chilling at mcdonalds all day. Last I checked McDonalds wasn't a "hangout" for the mid 20's crowd.

It's not for them, it's for the obnoxious teenagers that do hang out at McDonalds and want to be cool and grown-up like those mid-20s hipsters.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 4, 2012

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BillyJoeBob posted:

Do banner ads count? Because this dude is really creepy and annoying all at once, I feel like he's going to abduct someone and force feed them Wheat Thins or something.

That subtle smirk...
Is that banner ad aware that "trix" is exclusively feminine? Because that is super loving creepy.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Burger King seems to be going the celebrity route. I wonder if people will go to a Burger King because they see David Beckham and Jay Leno on their commercials.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Jubs posted:

Burger King seems to be going the celebrity route. I wonder if people will go to a Burger King because they see David Beckham and Jay Leno on their commercials.

If the manager guy didn't say "David" I would not have guessed that was any particular celebrity at all. They must be hitting the panic button since Wendy's passed them.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

If the manager guy didn't say "David" I would not have guessed that was any particular celebrity at all. They must be hitting the panic button since Wendy's passed them.

I read an article a while back on how dumping The King character was basically them going, "Instead of having this creepy dude bring you food that's clearly very unhealthy, we'll instead now focus on the actual food being fresh and of a higher quality!" Once that didn't really do it, they threw a bunch of money at a talk show host and a soccer player. But I don't know, if it's either The King or Jay Leno, I'd much rather the first guy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are there really people out there that didn't like The King? Because I don't want to know those people.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

According to AP, Burger King is doing a big revamp on their menu and PR as they go public again. I think they were recently beat out for 2nd place on the burger chain list by Wendys (McDonalds at #1) so they'll probably be on a pretty big push for a while.

Although yeah, David Bekham of all people seems like a pretty weird choice.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

According to AP, Burger King is doing a big revamp on their menu and PR as they go public again. I think they were recently beat out for 2nd place on the burger chain list by Wendys (McDonalds at #1) so they'll probably be on a pretty big push for a while.

Although yeah, David Bekham of all people seems like a pretty weird choice.

Jay Leno is the odder choice, since as far as I know, he's pretty much only popular with old people, who aren't the ones ads are usually targetted at. I'm not sure of anyone under the age of 50 who has a positive opinion of him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jimmy Johns radio ads are so bad that if I'm in the car and one comes on it makes me want to drive my car into the nearest school building.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Palleon posted:

Jay Leno is the odder choice, since as far as I know, he's pretty much only popular with old people, who aren't the ones ads are usually targetted at. I'm not sure of anyone under the age of 50 who has a positive opinion of him.

Yeah, and if they're anything like my parents, they also love Burger King. On road trips growing up my dad would begrudgingly let us eat McDonald's, bitching the whole time about how much better Burger King is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, and if they're anything like my parents, they also love Burger King. On road trips growing up my dad would begrudgingly let us eat McDonald's, bitching the whole time about how much better Burger King is.

My parents were like this with Roy Rogers, while we kids wanted Burger King, so there's always something. However, my parents always liked Dave and Conan better than Leno, so whatever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Iron Crowned posted:

Burger King is better than McDonald's. Wendy's is better than either of them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raditts posted:

If you're talking about the Pos-T-Vac, that zombie has lurked basic cable for years now. Like 5-10 at least. And it looks like it was filmed farther back than that.

Now that you mention it, it does look like it was filmed on some public access channel.

My favorite bits are the old bug-eye guy quoting the old Army ad slogan and the Cornel West looking dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What the gently caress is going on in those furry wet dream Mio water thing commercials? They're on all the time and I don't get the joke.

Also:

ElectricSheep posted:

I'm getting pretty tired of Depot Time.

All I really know about Depot Time is that the clock hits Depot Time on pretty much every commercial break so that Tony Stewart and some helium-voiced blonde can tell me that it's Depot Time.

depot time
Imagine working there and having to hear that loving ad every twenty minutes between the generic pop songs as you stand around explaining how to use CDs to old farts. :smithicide:

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Colon Flow ad is close to being the Colon Blow commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvUA90OLgaE

HOW MUCH FECAL MATTER ARE YOU HOLDING?