Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Joe Posnanski is leaving SI and joining a joint venture between the USA Today and MLB Advanced Media. On one hand, SI is losing one of the best writers (and what about his book on Joe Paterno?), but on the other, I'm interested in seeing what this project is. He's still going to be blogging, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He was talking up SI as being his dream gig when he got the job. I wonder what changed.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He was talking up SI as being his dream gig when he got the job. I wonder what changed.

I would not be surprised if it were related to the JoePa biography.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Ken Davidoff has moved over to the NY Post, giving them one columnist worth reading

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deathlove posted:

I would not be surprised if it were related to the JoePa biography.

That whole thing was odd as heck, I was surprised to see Poz drinkin the Kool-Aid so hard on JoePa.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, since it is for MLBAM, I could see them offering more money. Or maybe TV time on the MLB Network or some kind of perk like that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That whole thing was odd as heck, I was surprised to see Poz drinkin the Kool-Aid so hard on JoePa.

Yeah it was unfortunate. I think he was just too close to the whole thing to really view it rationally.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

On one hand I can't really blame him all that much since I can't imagine that he felt very good about the fact that his book on Paterno was pretty much ruined, overshadowed by what happened. But on the other, letting personal bias get in the way of correct judgment is not a sign of a quality journalist so I lost a ton of respect for him after that whole thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it had a lot less to do with his book (though going in wanting to write one thing and then suddenly have it turn into something completely different couldn't have been fun) and more to do with Paterno being someone he had admired for a really long time and gotten to know. And it's not like he was completely exonerating him, just saying that he was withholding judgement until he knew more. I definitely don't agree with him and wish he'd just hadn't written anything at all, but his track record is good enough that I'm not going to totally write him off because of one lapse in judgement.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 3, 2012

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

ButtView posted:

I think it had a lot less to do with his book and more to do with Paterno being someone he had admired for a really long time and gotten to know.

Most likely but still completely unacceptable

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Posnanski told a class that he thought the media was skewering him and being too hard on him for no reason or something.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
The problem is that Posnanski is viewed as a consummate professional and a throwback to the journalists of yore. If that's your reputation and what your career is built on and you say to people things that are both unprofessional and inherently biased I'd say that's a fairly damning indictment and worthy of criticism

I like Posnanski a lot (he actually was nice enough to respond to an email of mine a few years ago when I was in-between jobs) but I just have a serious issue with how he handled the Paterno thing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He can't really control the standard other people hold him to (though I'd say his reputation is more based on being a really good writer than anything else). It was a serious lapse in judgement to be sure, I just don't know that it retroactively taints everything he's ever done.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Honestly, I think the only possible thing a journalist who's that close to a story can do is keep his mouth shut. Unfortunately, that runs counter to the 24/7 all-access spirit of modern journalism. In any event, I seriously doubt that any of us would have been significantly more rational or well-reasoned than he was in that situation, whatever stance we took.

In other news, the Pittsburgh news media still doesn't know how to spell Andrew McCutchen's name.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 3, 2012

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Mornacale posted:

Honestly, I think the only possible thing a journalist who's that close to a story can do is keep his mouth shut. Unfortunately, that runs counter to the 24/7 all-access spirit of modern journalism. In any event, I seriously doubt that any of us would have been significantly more rational or well-reasoned than he was in that situation, whatever stance we took.

In other news, the Pittsburgh news media still doesn't know how to spell Andrew McCutchen's name.

I was gonna say maybe the article is about Daniel McCutchen, but his name is spelled the same way. Learn something new every day.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The broken bones posted:

I was gonna say maybe the article is about Daniel McCutchen, but his name is spelled the same way. Learn something new every day.

Let me blow your mind. Andrew and Daniel McCutchen are the only two McCutchens in MLB history (excepting the middle name of "Doc" James McCutchen McJames. James. McJames.)

Here is the full list of all Major Leaguers names McCutcheon:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What did Posnanski write about JoePa that got his reputation hit? I was follow the JoePa / Sandusky story but not all the media narratives around it.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Mornacale posted:

Let me blow your mind. Andrew and Daniel McCutchen are the only two McCutchens in MLB history (excepting the middle name of "Doc" James McCutchen McJames. James. McJames.)

Here is the full list of all Major Leaguers names McCutcheon:

Pittsburgh leads the league in McCutchens per 9

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

seiferguy posted:

What did Posnanski write about JoePa that got his reputation hit? I was follow the JoePa / Sandusky story but not all the media narratives around it.

There was a media class he was talking to at PSU around time of the scandal and one of the students was live tweeting and this happened (sorry to use deadspin in this thread)

http://deadspin.com/5858278/joe-posnanski-becomes-an-unlikely-paterno-apologist

Some Posnanski quotes, obviously out of context and likely not transcribed precisely.
"I think [Paterno] is a scapegoat. I definitely think that...I think he tried to do the right thing, and the right thing didn't happen."

"The rush to judgment here has been extraordinarily. The lesson to learn might be that we screwed this thing up."

"I've never seen anything handled worse. Maybe how New Orleans, post-Katrina....Paterno was always dangled by this university."

"The only thing people remember about Woody Hayes is that he hit a player. I don't want that to happen to Joe. He didn't hit a player."

"If this happened at the University of Miami, no matter how bad it was, it wouldn't have elevated to this level."

"A lot of people came here to bury Joe. As a writer, I'm mad with that, as someone who's come to know the Paternos, I'm heartbroken."

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

As much as I'd like to just try and forget about JoePos and the stance he took that day (and I remember the details coming out as it was happening), I really don't see any way to do so. He really should've kept his mouth shut.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
To his credit JoePos later stepped back, realized he wasn't in a position to assess the situation correctly, and declined to comment further on it. The same can't be said for a lot of other people who had gotten to know Paterno.

And I do feel bad for him if this means all of his work on his book now goes down the toilet because he feels he can't finish the book the way it would need to be finished.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't think he ever really retracted his comments very forcefully though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm taking a flight in a few hours -- has anyone read any good (non-baseball) long-form articles recently that I can Instapaper?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

morestuff posted:

I'm taking a flight in a few hours -- has anyone read any good (non-baseball) long-form articles recently that I can Instapaper?

There is the NYT article about Horse Racing that was posted a page or two ago, but, it's really depressing.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7779341/when-do-draw-line-nfl-violence

Maybe someone here can tell me what point Simmons is trying to make. It seems to change every other sentence.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

morestuff posted:

With Tiger back in the news, Chris Jones' Esquire feature on him is well worth your time.

e: I also really enjoyed this story on a 14-year-old Ugandan chess prodigy from, of all things, ESPN The Magazine.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not that anything Skip Bayless does should cause you to bat an eyelash, but this investigation into his claim that he was a high-school basketball star is pretty hilarious.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

With Tiger back in the news, Chris Jones' Esquire feature on him is well worth your time.

e: I also really enjoyed this story on a 14-year-old Ugandan chess prodigy from, of all things, ESPN The Magazine.

toadee posted:

There is the NYT article about Horse Racing that was posted a page or two ago, but, it's really depressing.

Thanks guys, these were good reads.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

Not that anything Skip Bayless does should cause you to bat an eyelash, but this investigation into his claim that he was a high-school basketball star is pretty hilarious.

The worst thing is that he's going to dodge and say he started because someone got injured in the semifinals.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Toffile posted:

The worst thing is that he's going to dodge and say he started because someone got injured in the semifinals.

Jalen Rose called him out on it:

http://deadspin.com/5900701/jalen-rose-called-out-skip-baylesss-high-school-hoops-fantasy-and-bayless-confessed

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Rick Reilly wrote Another Good Thing, putting his count of worthwhile stories written for ESPN somewhere above two.

Was I alone in being unaware that Tiger Woods had siblings?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
So Skip Bayless thinks it's "crossing the line" to bring up his high school career, even though I seem to remember him being the one to always bring it up and talk about how he could beat Lebron in a "clutch" free throw competition etc.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

You can't take any Skip Bayless argument at face value. He's a professional troll. I've actually come to appreciate his schtick in light of his unwavering support of all things Tebow.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I think I'm more tired of the "Bayless is just an IRL troll! heh you gotta give him credit!" narrative than Skip Bayless himself

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
personally, I found Skip Bayliss's attempts to spew stupid poo poo that lowers the level of discourse on ESPN much more endearing when I found out that he is also arguing in bad faith

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I'm just stunned that Jalen Rose managed to get Skip Bayless to shut up for five seconds and admit he's a complete liar. Also the "Water Pistol Pete" line was classic.

Makochuk posted:

So Skip Bayless thinks it's "crossing the line" to bring up his high school career, even though I seem to remember him being the one to always bring it up and talk about how he could beat Lebron in a "clutch" free throw competition etc.

I have zero sympathy for Skip, considering he was on Twitter making himself out to be Jimmy Chitwood when he was playing for the JV team as a junior (and still riding the pine 99% of the time).

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 11, 2012

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

stuart scott irl posted:

I think I'm more tired of the "Bayless is just an IRL troll! heh you gotta give him credit!" narrative than Skip Bayless himself

I don't expect everyone to like him (even though almost all of TFF does at this point), but the concept of it being someone's job to make Stephen A. Smith really, really mad is funny to me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Rick Reilly wrote Another Good Thing, putting his count of worthwhile stories written for ESPN somewhere above two.

Was I alone in being unaware that Tiger Woods had siblings?

Is there another side to this we aren't seeing or is Tiger really this heartless? I mean, who knows what that " falling out" was.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is there another side to this we aren't seeing or is Tiger really this heartless? I mean, who knows what that " falling out" was.

I'd bet $1,000 that this story never would've been written if it hadn't been for Tiger's complete public meltdown.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 11, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

stuart scott irl posted:

Is there any proof whatsoever that Skip is a "professional troll" and the "professional troll" is not some half-baked rationalization to explain the fact that nobody can be that dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

DOOP posted:

Is there any proof whatsoever that Skip is a "professional troll" and the "professional troll" is not some half-baked rationalization to explain the fact that nobody can be that dumb?

Whenever anyone in real life says some dumb or outlandish poo poo, a bunch of people on the internet always start calling him a troll and act like they are in on the joke.