Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Nubcakes posted:

:words:

Thanks for the laughs on the first post, I really thought you were trolling.

Anyway, if you need help finding the x64 ISOs, check here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

I believe the Ultimate links are dead but you can just download the Professional image and use the delete ei.cfg walkthrough to enable Ultimate on that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

m2pt5 posted:

Using the classic theme prevents 7 from using any graphics accelerator you might have to draw the desktop, thus taking that burden off the CPU.

While I have no understanding why the 3D/Transparent look would be a negative, he does have an i5 2500K so I don't think a few GUI elements are going to bog down that rig much. ;)

On the bright side, any apps you may run that possibly would require that AERO be disabled, (Sometimes it is automatic, sometimes not and you would have to set it manually in the shortcut options) will not be a problem in the first place.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

m2pt5 posted:

Using the classic theme prevents 7 from using any graphics accelerator you might have to draw the desktop, thus taking that burden off the CPU.
I thought of bringing that up, but I doubt anyone would notice on a modern desktop.

He's missing out, but, you know, one less XP64 machine in the world. That's a success in my book.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
I run the classic theme myself. I don't care for fancy desktop graphics.

I want something simplistic, industrial and clean.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Take it apart and improve it!
My biggest gripe with the default W7 theme is the lack of rigid clarify. You see a round button with no border and think: where the gently caress are the boundaries for clicking? Where can I click on that? Where does the system tray begin?

Other example is the explorer window, where the hell is the title on the title bar and where are the boundaries to where I can click on it to drag the window around?

You take a look at most windows/buttons windows 98 and immediately know based on it's look where the boundaries are. There are lines and borders everywhere to let you where the boundaries for clicking are. The lack of this in windows 7 hurts my head.

Edit; also check out the "Organize" and "save search" buttons. Where the hell are the boundaries?

Nubcakes fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 5, 2012

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you mouse over icons on the taskbar it shows the boundaries for where you can click. Same with the buttons on the explorer menu. I'm not fond of the lack of title on explorer windows because I tend to end up with a trillion open and I'd like to be able to tell what's what easily but I don't see how it can be hard to figure out where you can drag :confused:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nubcakes posted:

Stuff

Mouse over them and the boundaries of everyhing appear rather clearly. When they made the buttons in the taskbar easily 4X bigger than a normal quicklaunch button as well as have many more functions when you mouse over an active one or right click on them. Same goes for the lower right taskbar items. Easy to drag the ones out of the little box (when you click that up arrow) down into the main taskbar to always show it and visa versa to hide it within the box. Unless you like having a ton of stuff cluttering up the taskbar at all time like past windows versions if you had a lot of background programs. Also there was no border on any of the past windows versions of the lower right icons so 7 actually makes that a new thing.

Also the folder name is in the "Address Bar" part of all the folders, sure it isn't right at the top anymore, but it may only take a few hours of use to get used to it. Also since folders all open in that single "Folders" tab in the taskbar to keep things a heck of alot neater, just mouse over that "active" Icon when you have multiple folders open and it clearly will show you the names and image thumbnail of each folder, mouse over the one you are looking for and it will focus and hide all the others before you even click on it to let you see if that is the one clearly. Small details but they become great helping additions in the long run.

Also if you like the more traditional menu's in folders. Click on Organize in a folder, go down to Layout then Menu Bar. That will bring back the familiar menu bar if you want to have it.

To each there own, but definitly take some time to learn what 7 brought out that is new (since you skipped Vista, there is a lot of new stuff for an XP user to find) and make sure you give it a good fighting shot before dismissing it as rubbish/pretty fluff. A lot of what they did made the OS feel much smoother and easier to fluidly get things done over XP. The best part of it all either way, is that it can be customized a lot to fit a style you enjoy.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 5, 2012

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

EdEddnEddy posted:

To each there own, but definitly take some time to learn what 7 brought out that is new (since you skipped Vista, there is a lot of new stuff for an XP user to find) and make sure you give it a good fighting shot before dismissing it as rubbish/pretty fluff. A lot of what they did made the OS feel much smoother and easier to fluidly get things done over XP. The best part of it all either way, is that it can be customized a lot to fit a style you enjoy.

I tried to give it's default UI a chance and I find myself needlessly thinking over simple trivial tasks. Its obvious they are trying to make it look pretty and more appealing but for someone like myself it is like trying to drive without any road markings and without a dashboard in the car. I am sure I could get used to it if I forced myself to use ONLY it for around a month, but I don't see the reason to.

I will agree about the customization; It is great! I've made it look almost exactly the way I want it.

Oh and before I forget; who ever thought it'd be funny to make editing the boot loader only possible through CMD is an rear end in a top hat. Why couldn't they use something like the boot.ini file?!

Edit; what exactly do the performance index numbers mean? CPU/RAM got 7.6, GPU has 7.9, Primary HD has 5.9

Nubcakes fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 6, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Nubcakes posted:

for someone like myself it is like trying to drive without any road markings and without a dashboard in the car. I am sure I could get used to it if I forced myself to use ONLY it for around a month, but I don't see the reason to.
The road markings make you feel safe and comfortable, but actually don't do anything useful. The road works just as well without them, as millions of drivers can attest to. In the mean time, you're taping cardboard over the gps unit, the rearview camera and the parking help.

You're absolutely free to do so.

Nubcakes posted:

Edit; what exactly do the performance index numbers mean? CPU/RAM got 7.6, GPU has 7.9, Primary HD has 5.9
Not much. The maximum is 8 at this point, so as far as Microsoft is concerned, you have a capable computer.

Traditional HDDs can't score high, otherwise there wouldn't be space on the scale for SSDs, which is why that number is lower.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
Well it looks like XP was bottle necking this computer after all. I am getting a pretty significant FPS increase across the board on games. No real problems yet. All 16 bit programs I use run just find in XP mode so yea; it's a done deal. Windows 7 is a keeper in my books. Even the older games I have/play seem to work fine. I am little worried about games which use DX3~8 though. We'll see how it handles them in the future.

I'll keep XP in my boot menu just in case. If this works out like my transition from 98 to XP did, then I'll pretty much stop using XP on this computer entirely within a year. Thanks for the encouraging push guys. Sorry if it seemed like I was trolling. I just wanted to be sure that it was a wise move to give 7 a 2nd chance.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Nubcakes posted:

All 16 bit programs I use run just find in XP mode so yea; it's a done deal.

How many 16 bit programs are you using?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Guy Axlerod posted:

cardfile.exe

Or... sorry... CARDFILE.EXE

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
PROGMAN.EXE

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

Factor Mystic posted:

PROGMAN.EXE

You know I actually still use Progman on a few of my workstations;

Edit:

Guy Axlerod posted:

Just 4

Nubcakes fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 6, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh Jesus, FAT32? You are broken.

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh Jesus, FAT32? You are broken.

I like to molest system files unhindered. However, uncompressed video files are loving huge so these days I just run with NTFS usually.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

May I ask, what do you actually do with your system? You have a reasonable gaming rig, but using Winamp 2.x? Pre 1.0 Vlc, fat32, etc, fighting the modern software age that much? I can understand some of these things, but I am curious as to what your side of the story is.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Nubcakes posted:

You know I actually still use Progman on a few of my workstations;

I feel like I'm looking at one of those "point to all the things that are wrong in this picture"

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

EdEddnEddy posted:

May I ask, what do you actually do with your system? You have a reasonable gaming rig, but using Winamp 2.x? Pre 1.0 Vlc, fat32, etc, fighting the modern software age that much? I can understand some of these things, but I am curious as to what your side of the story is.

It as in the computer that screen shot came from is an older workstation, not my main computer. Please note that it's running Server 2003 and I clearly stated earlier that my main computer is/was running XP. I used to use it for hacking up video files and whatnot but now that my main computer has far more power, space, and is better in all ways, it's pretty much just a backup. Since it works as is, I plan to just keep it around as an extra.

Factor Mystic posted:

I feel like I'm looking at one of those "point to all the things that are wrong in this picture"

Do start pointing out things that are wrong. It should prove entertaining. I Stopped seriously using that workstation back when I built the rig I am on now. The only thing I'll say in it's defense is that it's purpose 99% of the time was video editing. It was almost never on the interwebs...

Edit; And pretty much all programs I use have been updated since I went to Windows 7. I figured the 64bit versions of them will probably run better and have less bugs on a 64bit system.

Nubcakes fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 6, 2012

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Nubcakes posted:

Edit; And pretty much all programs I use have been updated since I went to Windows 7. I figured the 64bit versions of them will probably run better and have less bugs on a 64bit system.

This actually kind of varies by program. For example, 64 bit photoshop works great, while 64 bit Media Player Classic is pretty much unuseable.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I thought of bringing that up, but I doubt anyone would notice on a modern desktop.

He's missing out, but, you know, one less XP64 machine in the world. That's a success in my book.

Pretty sure that this dude (nubcakes) will be back on XP the second that one of his ancient apps doesnt run 100% to his liking on Win7.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mico posted:

64 bit Media Player Classic is pretty much unuseable.

What version are you using?

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Pretty sure that this dude (nubcakes) will be back on XP the second that one of his ancient apps doesnt run 100% to his liking on Win7.

Unlikely, and even if I do, I know I have probably a year tops till programs I use or will want to use drop XP support.

Do you know what it's like when you get new hardware/software and find out that you can't use them because your OS of choice doesn't support them? It's awful. I rode 98 into the ground. I didn't even start using XP till 2004 when I multibooted it with 98 on an AthlonXP box. I only used it for studying for my A+ cert. When that box died in late 2005, the new hardware I had ordered at the time had PCI-Express which simply isn't supported by 98 due to IRQ steering problems. Simply put; using 98 was impossible on that hardware and I wasted a week trying to make it happen. I was forced to XP if I wanted to use my replacement desktop. This was during midterms for my highschool and Microsoft Network Admin classes. That was the worst experience I've had with computers... Ever. It could have all been avoided if I actually took the time to get comfortable with XP just 4 months prior.

I don't intend to let that situation ever happen again. It will be far better to comfortably switch over to 7 when serious poo poo is not going down with school and work than to wake up one morning and realize I am totally hosed because XP support has been dropped, my hardware is toast, I don't know what the hell I am doing on 7, and lots of work needed to be done days ago. Knowing how to install/setup/fix a version of windows is very different from being able to comfortably and efficiently use it. I learned that the hard way.

Oh and newer versions of After Effects and Premiere don't support XP anymore either. I don't need them "yet" but I will eventually.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't worry, 7 is pretty intuitive. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

So uh, installing a new windows 7 on a computer and suddenly on the last restart it does this. Any idea what the gently caress? It was not doing this prior to the restart

Nubcakes
Jan 11, 2009

If it isn't broken...
That's the screen that a customer at my last job got on a Pentium 2 Gateway when he tried installing Windows 7 back in 2010! Good times! At the time we traced the problem to an unsupported video card.

Thanks to your AV I am tempted to ask if you tried putting W7 on your lappy 486.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

StabMasterArson posted:

So uh, installing a new windows 7 on a computer and suddenly on the last restart it does this. Any idea what the gently caress? It was not doing this prior to the restart

Looks like your graphics card and/or drivers are either toast or unsupported.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

Definitely a graphics card hardware/software (drivers) issue.

My money is on hardware.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For those of us who love worms and/or remember Worms 3D, and would like a little change from the basic windows cursors or those horrible cursor sites, you may remember the mouse from Worms 3D that rotated to point in the direction you were moving it. (And if you don't, you were missing out a bit.) Well a long time ago a brave coder created an almost perfect implimentation for the PC.

Project Homepage

The app also would allow you to create your own cursor pack using .png files so it doesn't have to remain Worms themed.

Thre are a few cursors missing in his pack, if anyone would care to create their own mix to either fill in the missing cursors or create their own cursor pack, that would be awesome.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
This has likely been asked before, but we're on page 385 or something. So anyway: what options are there to idiot-proof a Win7x64 PC?

I have a relative who, between them and their lived ones, can't keep a computer working more than about three months. Their particular weakness seems to be clicking on the popups that say "your computer has a virus, click here to scan".

I don't want to be mean to them but also don't want to be bothered,,,, and (since it is a relative) charging them to fix the same thing over and over again counts as being mean. The last time I re-installed Win7 and MSE, I set the security of everything to "high",,, but they never update anything, or leave the computer on all the time. So I would bet that the updates/MSE scans never happen. Plus somebody keeps clicking on stupid poo poo.

Linux is a no-go, Firefox and NoScript is a no-go (they'll just keep using IE).

I am thinking Deepfreeze, or anything else like it. What else is there like it?
I thought of (having them pay for) a pro version of Windows that has real user accounts, but that's $140 or so at least. DeepFreeze appears to be $35 a year.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

edmund745 posted:

This has likely been asked before, but we're on page 385 or something. So anyway: what options are there to idiot-proof a Win7x64 PC?

After going through countless poo poo like this with my mom's computer, here's what I finally did (with the help of this thread too!):

- Made a password-locked administrative account that only I have access to.
- Set up my mother with an account that doesn't have administrative access.
- Use TeamViewer to connect to her computer and install/fix whatever it is she needs.

That on top of the normal routine: An ad blocker of sorts, restricting access to Internet Explorer (why won't you do this?), installing MSE, Spybot S&D, and CCleaner makes the computer as secure as it needs to be for their purposes. I just fire up TeamViewer and run updates every now and then while she's at work.

I have never gotten anything close to an emergency phonecall since I have done this. Just a message on Facebook every now and then that says "Mak0rz, install x for me please." or "I hosed up my email layout, can you help?" Then it's just a quick five-minute fix and it's all done, despite that I'm over 3,000km away. It's the greatest idea ever.

I know you said that they never leave their computer on, but can you call them up once in a while to tell them to turn it on so that you can check on things and run updates?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Got a fun question. I've got a friend that's inherited a Windows Server 2000 workstation at work, and he's got an issue.

The C partition on the virtual disk is almost completely full, and the other partition on that same virtual disk is also pretty close to full. He's wondering if there's a way to grow the virtual disk, preferably from partition F. You guys have any idea?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

edmund745 posted:

(since it is a relative) charging them to fix the same thing over and over again counts as being mean.
Extorting work out of a person through emotional blackmail counts as being mean. Believing that's how things are supposed to work and giving in without even challenging it in your mind counts as being a doormat.

If you don't enjoy doing it, it's work. You might give a free pass to your spouse or your parents. The rest pays. It doesn't have to be money; it could be a case of beer or a steak dinner. It could be babysitting your kid. Anything that makes it worth your time.

At least make sure they know you don't think of this as fun. This seems evident, but it's a misconception that exists.

I know this isn't the sort of advice you were looking for, but I've seen situations like this too many times. It's a social problem as well as a technological one and a technological solution will still leave you as the guy who doesn't mind doing free IT work.

edmund745 posted:

I thought of (having them pay for) a pro version of Windows that has real user accounts, but that's $140 or so at least.
I don't know what this means, and I wonder if it's something I don't know or something you don't know. Can't all Windows versions use 'real' accounts?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Nubcakes posted:

It's a shame they don't have the spruce or pumpkin color schemes for the classic theme.
:psyduck:

Congrats on having horrible taste I guess

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

The removal of Hot Dog Stand as a colour scheme was the greatest crime ever done to the windows UI.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Captain Novolin posted:

The removal of Hot Dog Stand as a colour scheme was the greatest crime ever done to the windows UI.

http://www.h3m3.com/hot-dog-stand

E: Holy poo poo, this is actually painful to look at.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

http://www.h3m3.com/hot-dog-stand

E: Holy poo poo, this is actually painful to look at.

Holy poo poo, thank you for this. My eyes are searing but I love it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

At this point I want to know what Winamp skin Nubcakes was running. I'm betting it was something like this:

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whats a good program that lets you send incoming faxes into your pc? 32 bit fax by Electrasoft is an alright program that doesn't force you to pay (yet) but its a bit too complicated and scary looking for the office staff to enjoy using. Any suggestions? That or some 3rd party software someone should invent that travels into your printer and tells it to shut the gently caress up about ink levels and bypasses the requirement to have the color ink to print something in black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

How about a modem and windows built in fax and scan?