Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Narmi posted:

Isn't he also drawing all of this in MSPaint using a mouse? As far as webcomics go, MSPaint ones are usually at the bottom of the pile, and while that is part of the charm here it does make what he's accomplished that much more impressive.

Honestly drawing with a mouse is the worst thing ever, and judging by those blur effects he uses I think he must be using a tablet and Photoshop or GIMP or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

As a corollary, can we stop using "outsider" as an adjective to describe either one?

what's a term that describes them? How can I find more of them?

they're fuckin' sweet

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Hsien-Ko posted:

Honestly drawing with a mouse is the worst thing ever, and judging by those blur effects he uses I think he must be using a tablet and Photoshop or GIMP or something

I forgot he was using GIMP. I think he's still using a mouse though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

This comic has better continuity than pretty much any movie or TV series christ...

I wish BSG or LOST were written by this guy.

kate we have to
go back to the is =>
=> land

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

uwaeve posted:

Well, we can cross "pimp" off the list of things Lazerbot does for a living. Now I don't technically know anything about pimping (aside from its difficulty level), but I have a hard time believing pimps use the verb "to hook." One who hooks.

I thought she was going to go fishing. :smith:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

LordMune posted:

There are no words. Amazing. Everything is.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm now imagining that Luigi is secretly an alot.

If only I knew how to gimp properly, I'd put a green hat on it.

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 5, 2012

mynameisbutt
Jun 19, 2007

Special persons invites club, that is what I'm talkings about!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I like this alot.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The comic is great, but could stand a little more onomatopoeia. When Super Mario beat his mother and father to death with the baseball bat, what sound effect was it?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/smbsynth

I bet it was the "small Mario hits a brick block without breaking it" sound, but you could make a case for the "squished koopa" sound effect as well.

Mr. Bonky
Jan 28, 2001

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The comic is great, but could stand a little more onomatopoeia. When Super Mario beat his mother and father to death with the baseball bat, what sound effect was it?

I bet it was the "small Mario hits a brick block without breaking it" sound, but you could make a case for the "squished koopa" sound effect as well.

When he beat Kario to death, in my head it sounded like when you hit a repeater block over and over.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
Been a while since the comic was this violent. I guess the everyone always dies in flashbacks thing holds true even for webcomics.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Guys, we keep calling Shadow out and everything, but has anyone actually done it in the comic? I mean, Shadow was "the awesome" and has had more screen(page?)time than any other character. Not saying his plan didn't fall to poo poo, just saying I don't know if Lazerbot's ganna call him out on it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Kario's "trolls be trollin'" reminds me a lot the family of assholes in Billy Madison chanting "O'Doyle rules!" as their car goes careening off the cliff.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

Guys, we keep calling Shadow out and everything, but has anyone actually done it in the comic? I mean, Shadow was "the awesome" and has had more screen(page?)time than any other character. Not saying his plan didn't fall to poo poo, just saying I don't know if Lazerbot's ganna call him out on it.

Silver criticised Shadow's plan at the start of Chapter 6.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Shadow is the anti-hero. Dumbass will learn that villains isn't the answer and that Soniv was right all along about them trolls, or dumbass will face a tragic end.

Sonic is the tragic hero, who succumbed to temptation and betrayed his own philosophy. His downfall lead to his death, but his redemption may still be possible.

Tails, who at first seemed like nothing more than a side character, is the True Hero, who is on a Joseph Campbell hero's journey. After training with his mentors, Pac-man and the Defenders, he will be reborn and obtain both the power to avenge himself and his friends but also redemption for Sonic and everyone else in the TGT universe.

Interestingly, both Mario and the Troll King are tragic villains. Both were the victims of a cruel world and both became villains to right the wrongs they saw in the world. What's even more interesting is that Mario's descent into villainy is caused directly by them trolls. The message is that King Troll's vengeance against the world has done nothing but create a vicious cycle of villains. Luigi is just like his brother, though perhaps even more tragic because of how gentle he seemed to be before meeting Kario.

Silver and Fudd both represent what can happen when the rest of us accept them trolls and their ways. Silver was able to move through the Troll City peacefully and even gained allies because he partook in their culture instead of shunning them or using villains. Likewise, Fudd went from loving retarded to amazing and happy because he enjoyed trolling so much. Their arc has only just started, so it's hard to say how their themes will develop.

Daffy and Bugs represent the innocent ones that get caught in the crossfire between two sides that use villains and won't just have sex with their girlfriends so they won't be so mad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

bbf2 posted:

And it's been established and mentioned by other characters at this point that Mario is an unstable unfeeling psychopath who goes way too far, not someone to emulate.

This sentence right here has me in stitches.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Silver criticised Shadow's plan at the start of Chapter 6.

It also happened earlier with the Defenders. The mole outright called Shadow a stupid twat when telling Tails what just went down.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

visceril posted:

Shadow is the anti-hero. Dumbass will learn that villains isn't the answer and that Soniv was right all along about them trolls, or dumbass will face a tragic end.

Sonic is the tragic hero, who succumbed to temptation and betrayed his own philosophy. His downfall lead to his death, but his redemption may still be possible.

Tails, who at first seemed like nothing more than a side character, is the True Hero, who is on a Joseph Campbell hero's journey. After training with his mentors, Pac-man and the Defenders, he will be reborn and obtain both the power to avenge himself and his friends but also redemption for Sonic and everyone else in the TGT universe.

Interestingly, both Mario and the Troll King are tragic villains. Both were the victims of a cruel world and both became villains to right the wrongs they saw in the world. What's even more interesting is that Mario's descent into villainy is caused directly by them trolls. The message is that King Troll's vengeance against the world has done nothing but create a vicious cycle of villains. Luigi is just like his brother, though perhaps even more tragic because of how gentle he seemed to be before meeting Kario.

Silver and Fudd both represent what can happen when the rest of us accept them trolls and their ways. Silver was able to move through the Troll City peacefully and even gained allies because he partook in their culture instead of shunning them or using villains. Likewise, Fudd went from loving retarded to amazing and happy because he enjoyed trolling so much. Their arc has only just started, so it's hard to say how their themes will develop.

Daffy and Bugs represent the innocent ones that get caught in the crossfire between two sides that use villains and won't just have sex with their girlfriends so they won't be so mad.

Don't forget Cream and Espio - the virtues of utilitarianism are turned into weaknesses when the enemy is stuck in a self-sustaining cycle of hate and villains. Emerl tried to adopt the power of the trolls, but theirs was ultimately a power than someone with a pure heart could yield. Interestingly, his chest plate acts as a symbolic reminder of his altruism, and prevents people from the inability to act. Vector's loss of an eye in the battle could also be symbolic of how villains and rage corrupts - he can no longer see totally clearly.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

It's probably just coincidence, but I'm amused that the Italians are the most Machiavellian here. I mean, even when killing their parents, they know it's for the greater good.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

visceril posted:

analysis

Well don't blue-ball us, what's your analysis of pacman? :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The sickening thud the super smash brother bat does when thrown at an opponent.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Pacman is a failed hero, he has to redirect his energies and prepare the way for Tails in order to make a difference. Cant do anything form mhimself now, wakka wakka

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
For some reason the line that really got me in that last comic was "so i burned down the house with my parents in it." Something about how passive he's being about it is hysterical.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Actually, now that I think about it, Pacman is one of the more interesting characters, not that Lazerbot's come up with any uninteresting ones. I see him as sort of a Gnostic type figure. Starting from an innocent young man without true knowledge of evil, like Adam, he becomes damaged by the forces of evil, and begins a journey that ends up succeeding in a personal gain of knowledge, rather than the physical solution he originally aimed for. Now he holds the Mystical knowledge that will allow Tails to reconnect with the dead and immaterial Sonic-Logos, so that the corrupting forces of physicality (Trolls) can be finally defeated.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Monicro posted:

Well don't blue-ball us, what's your analysis of pacman? :colbert:
Pacman is ultimately a mentor figure for Tails. His backstory proves that even when confronted with the villainous death of his friends and loved ones, he never went down the path of villains. He held onto his ideals and virtue and only sought to bring his friends back to life. It is true that Pacman did form a group dedicating to fighting trolls, but purely in a defensive way (hence the name), as opposed to the villainous ways of Shadow and Mario.

I'm sure that if each of the Defenders that Tails trains with is given a backstory, each one will, like Pacman, be given the choice to join the cycle of villains and each one will refuse. Perhaps the most famous Defender, Bat -> Man, is emblematic of this. Though faced with a seemingly hopeless situation, he knows that if he kills his enemies it would open the door to a ruthless future far worse than anything the Joker or Ras Al-Ghul would unleash.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The fact that he never ends the Joker always bothered me. Like, after the fifteenth time he escapes, those dead people become Batman's fault.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Defiance Industries posted:

The fact that he never ends the Joker always bothered me. Like, after the fifteenth time he escapes, those dead people become Batman's fault.

gently caress you troll, villains is never the answer.

Also I can no longer differentiate between villains and violence. Thanks guys.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

visceril posted:

I'm sure that if each of the Defenders that Tails trains with is given a backstory, each one will, like Pacman, be given the choice to join the cycle of villains and each one will refuse. Perhaps the most famous Defender, Bat -> Man, is emblematic of this. Though faced with a seemingly hopeless situation, he knows that if he kills his enemies it would open the door to a ruthless future far worse than anything the Joker or Ras Al-Ghul would unleash.

I'm honestly curious to see how he'll use Vivian. Vivian's life basically changed because Mario was the first person to be truly kind to her. Mario saved her from her sisters, who trolled her all the time, but now she knows that Mario has become just as bad as them. He already sort of brushed on this with Vivian knowing that Mario has "lost his way" but I wonder if he'll take it any further.

...god, what did I just type.

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Heck! I can sort of understand Batman not killing him, but the fact that no one else has boggles me, considering the untold number of people he should realistically have royally pissed off. A Batman concept I would like to see would involve the Joker simply being gunned down by a relative of one of his random victims, just some nobody with a gun and a grudge, and the rest of the story would then explore the aftermath of that.

Back on topic: Visceril; what's your take on Rob?

Rencall
May 30, 2006

My existence is that which you fear.
Does Mario's evil behavior perhaps mean that Bowser has been justified all this time?

How do we know Princess Peach wasn't willingly with Bowser to escape psychological abuse? Bowser may be a bad boy, but he's probably not as bad as Mario.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Zoinker posted:

Back on topic: Visceril; what's your take on Rob?
Rob represents us in the TGT universe. When he was first introduced, he was just a normal human in a universe of magic and superpowers. Like us, at first he was confused by his surroundings and didn't understand what was going on.

Eventually he--and we--began to understand the TGT universe, as evidenced by him following Silver and understanding his plan in spite of not having any loving ears.

Rob being revealed as a Dragonborn is Lazerbot's gesture to us that we--the readers and his fans--have become an active part of the story. We've influenced the comic many times before that point, most notably in the troll fight. Lazerbot loves his fans, and so he made their character in his story awesome.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The fact that rob just yells the actual name of the shouts and only uses the ones from the trailers makes me think that he hasn't actually played skyrim at all.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rencall posted:

Does Mario's evil behavior perhaps mean that Bowser has been justified all this time?

How do we know Princess Peach wasn't willingly with Bowser to escape psychological abuse? Bowser may be a bad boy, but he's probably not as bad as Mario.

Bowser treated his henchmen way better than Mario treats his comrades.

Sherd Red
Mar 23, 2012
I AM A HORRIBLE PUBBIE WHO LIKES TO USE REDDIT MEMES PLEASE MOCK ME EVERY TIME I POST

change my name posted:

The fact that rob just yells the actual name of the shouts and only uses the ones from the trailers makes me think that he hasn't actually played skyrim at all.

Eh, Oblivion and Morrowind are better anyway.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

LordMune posted:

There are no words. Amazing. Everything is.
I think this explains how Mario can kill all those endless goombas and koopas without remorse.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

FrenchToasty posted:

Thanks! Couldn't decide on what quote to use for the text so I went with a synthesis. Glad to join this avatar crew.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I got this

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Bonaventure posted:

As a corollary, can we stop using "outsider" as an adjective to describe either one?

If this is actually genuine, it's almost textbook Outsider/Naive Art. Simply calling it the confused ramblings of a 13 year old doesn't really do it justice.

arachnobot
Apr 3, 2006
But the troll, too, is given a sympathetic backstory: he turned to trolling and villains because he himself was the subject of oppression and ostracization. He banded together with women--also oppressed in medieval society--and other marginalized people to form their own community. The troll king found romance--his beautiful wife--and has a tender fatherly love for his beautiful babby.

But ultimately, their resentment was too great, and they violently overthrew the society that had shunned them. In this, I feel, is a commentary on the origins of trolls: it is often those who are hurting, who feel themselves to be outsiders, who turn to trolling as a way to revenge themselves on those who hurt them, or to forge their own community.

Trolls and anti-trolls alike are trapped in a cycle of verbal abuse and villains. One side hurts the other, that side swears revenge and inflicts more villains. How did this start, after all? Tails got trolled, Shadow killed the trolls for it. The troll community seeks to hunt down the perpetrators, and thus war is begun. Aggression becomes the defense against future aggression. Perhaps Sonic's idea did not work, but using villains carries its own, complex consequences. Who in this story, then, are the real violence? I suspect Tails and his hidden comrades will show us yet a third way.

Or perhaps Tails will just get some fighting powers and gently caress everyone up more than Shadow ever could.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

change my name posted:

He said in the comments that his little brother asked him to make Rob a Dragonborn or something. So it's possible his brother did but he didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rencall
May 30, 2006

My existence is that which you fear.
One way or another, the troll king's child will at least solve the age old mystery: "how is babby formed?"