Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Skylark posted:

The costumes are really fun, I think. It's a nice touch that adds to the atmosphere of the Disney environment.

...God drat it. :zoro:

I always thought it was pretty cool that even Pete turned into a freakish Pete-lion for the pride lands. For the Grid I noticed in a screenshot that one of the antagonists (the younger looking Xehanort) shows up and doesn't adapt any sort of grid look. That's when you know who's evil. If they show up somewhere cool like the grid and say "no, I don't want to look cool. I'll stick to my coat and my super tan".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
My gamer goal is to try to complete a replay of Kingdom Hearts II before Dream Drop Distance hits. I've arrived at Hallow Bastion after a good 5+ hours of gameplay... My goodness it sure does take a while for this game to "get going" [visiting regular worlds]. I definitely need a refresher on KH2 though, I can't even remember more than a few of the worlds in this game -- Hell, I couldn't even name two members of Organization 13.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would get Mulan's world out of the way first after Hollow Bastion. The only good part of that world is Goofy of all people telling Sora not to be an idiot.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Skylark posted:

Music is a big part of the Kingdom Hearts games for me.:keke: Wishful thinking, but is there any chance we'll finally get a new Utada Hikaru theme? Probably going to have to wait for KHIII for that, huh..
I don't think Disney's drawn up a new contract with her yet, after she left her last one due to feeling that she was being taken advantage of. I don't pay a lot of attention to most things, though.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Gaseous Snake posted:

I would get Mulan's world out of the way first after Hollow Bastion. The only good part of that world is Goofy of all people telling Sora not to be an idiot.

One of the few things I do remember about Kh2 is the :psypop: Eddie Murphy Replacement voice for Mushu. Not really sure how to articulate this, but does anyone agree that it seems like a sensitive area, racially, to bring in some guy to do an "eddie murphy impression".. :cripes:

Allan Assiduity posted:

I don't think Disney's drawn up a new contract with her yet, after she left her last one due to feeling that she was being taken advantage of. I don't pay a lot of attention to most things, though.

Yikes, I had no idea there was an issue there. I wouldn't mind awfully if they brought in someone new, just a little tired of beating Kingdom Hearts sequels and getting the credits.... only to hear the same song from 2002 again. I love the Simple and Clean, but it feels "cheap" to me to have it recycled over and over.

Also on the subject of the soundtrack, I remember eagerly grabbing the soundtrack of Kingdom Hearts II as soon as it was available in Japan, and listening to the entire thing. This time, however, I want to have a completely "unspoiled" gaming experience (no offense to those who can't help themselves :P)

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So with Dream Drop I've heard the TWEWY Characters Are simply cut-scene characters you can't really interact with in any way Totes true?

Also, can't wait to have a go of Tron Legacy world. I know it's too much to hope the Daft Punk programs would appear.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skylark posted:

My gamer goal is to try to complete a replay of Kingdom Hearts II before Dream Drop Distance hits. I've arrived at Hallow Bastion after a good 5+ hours of gameplay... My goodness it sure does take a while for this game to "get going" [visiting regular worlds]. I definitely need a refresher on KH2 though, I can't even remember more than a few of the worlds in this game -- Hell, I couldn't even name two members of Organization 13.

If you didn't keep a separate save file right before the last boss battle in Twilight Town then you've only yourself to blame :colbert:

Skylark posted:

One of the few things I do remember about Kh2 is the :psypop: Eddie Murphy Replacement voice for Mushu. Not really sure how to articulate this, but does anyone agree that it seems like a sensitive area, racially, to bring in some guy to do an "eddie murphy impression".. :cripes:

Not...really? :confused: Actors (and especially voice actors) are brought in to impersonate other actors all the time. Were you weirded out by Dan Castellaneta being brought in to impersonate Robin Williams?

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

Andrew_1985 posted:

So with Dream Drop I've heard the TWEWY Characters Are simply cut-scene characters you can't really interact with in any way Totes true?

Also, can't wait to have a go of Tron Legacy world. I know it's too much to hope the Daft Punk programs would appear.

Would be fun if they were D-Links or something like in BBS.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Skylark posted:

I dunno, I thought the guy did the best he could do sound like Eddie Murphy. Same thing with Dan Castellaneta. The voice I remember really having an issue with was Sebastian. It's REALLY hard apparently to get a voice actor that an mimic that voice.

Does Frollo have a voice in the new game? I'm interested how good of a sound alike they got considering Tony Jay is dead. The only person I can imagine them getting is the guy who does the WoW intros.

Oh yeah Skylark and obviously skip Atlantica in KH2 cause what the gently caress

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Macaluso posted:

Does Frollo have a voice in the new game? I'm interested how good of a sound alike they got considering Tony Jay is dead. The only person I can imagine them getting is the guy who does the WoW intros.

They got Christopher Lee to pull in a few favours and managed to ressurect Tony Jay, just for this role...and the Elder God in any future LoK games.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

C-Euro posted:

Not...really? :confused: Actors (and especially voice actors) are brought in to impersonate other actors all the time. Were you weirded out by Dan Castellaneta being brought in to impersonate Robin Williams?
Funny thing is Dan Castellaneta did the voice of Genie in the second movie and maybe the tv show too. So they actually did get the real VO. It's just there were two.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Apparently Square-Enix just dated this game for July 31st in NA.

YAAAAAAAY

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah Skylark and obviously skip Atlantica in KH2 cause what the gently caress

Is it possible to skip anything? Even if it is, I kind of want to try doing more of the sidequests and stuff this time. I beat all the secret bosses and did all the extras in KH1, but I don't think I did any of the optional things in 2 the first time I played it. I played on hard though so I think it gave me the better ending by default, meaning there wasn't much incentive.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Apparently Square-Enix just dated this game for July 31st in NA.

YAAAAAAAY

:regd10: gently caress yea. Finally one of my most anticipated 3DS titles has a date for USA (still waiting on Animal Crossing and Phoenix v. Layton). Definitely going to be listening to a bunch of my favorite KH tracks today to get pumped. May I suggest...

Lazy Afternoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSdNxXGUaRU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Skylark posted:

Is it possible to skip anything? Even if it is, I kind of want to try doing more of the sidequests and stuff this time. I beat all the secret bosses and did all the extras in KH1, but I don't think I did any of the optional things in 2 the first time I played it. I played on hard though so I think it gave me the better ending by default, meaning there wasn't much incentive.

Well I know you can completely skip Atlantica and Pride Lands. Pride Lands I actually enjoyed (especially the ridiculous Shadow of the Colossus Heartless battle when you come back the second time), but Atlantica is terrible in the second game because it's just a music game. Which wouldn't be so bad except that you have Sora and Donald singing and it's awful. Atlantica was one of my favorite worlds in the first one too :(

I can't remember if you can skip any of the other worlds.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I decided to pop in the first Kingdom Hearts to start all over. In true Kingdom Hearts fashion it took me five resets to beat Riku in that loving foot race. The first time I beat him back but I didn't touch the check point.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Macaluso posted:

Well I know you can completely skip Atlantica and Pride Lands. Pride Lands I actually enjoyed (especially the ridiculous Shadow of the Colossus Heartless battle when you come back the second time), but Atlantica is terrible in the second game because it's just a music game. Which wouldn't be so bad except that you have Sora and Donald singing and it's awful. Atlantica was one of my favorite worlds in the first one too :(

Wow I had no idea. Pride Lands was awesome, Lion King was definitely my favorite movie growing up. I agree that Atlantis was totally lame in execution, but I've always thought it would be pretty cool if they found a way to fit in more of the full songs from the movies, lyrics included. I guess it would probably piss off a lot of players, but since I grew up loving the songs from most of these movies, I wouldn't mind a full musical number or two going down on the worlds (imagine "Out There", complete with all the vocals, happening in 3D to kick off the Notre Dame world). gently caress it, I might even sing along if my roommate isn't home.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Macaluso posted:

You can skip Pridelands? Really? Hm, that kinda sucks. Pridelands was def one of my favorites in 2 since Lion King is one of my favorite movies ever and lion Sora was surprisingly more cool than any furry could ever make him.

Gaseous Snake posted:

I decided to pop in the first Kingdom Hearts to start all over. In true Kingdom Hearts fashion it took me five resets to beat Riku in that loving foot race. The first time I beat him back but I didn't touch the check point.

Ha yeah, gently caress that thing.

Skylark posted:

I wouldn't mind a full musical number or two going down on the worlds (imagine "Out There", complete with all the vocals, happening in 3D to kick off the Notre Dame world). gently caress it, I might even sing along if my roommate isn't home.

Oh my god yes, Hunchback had some of the best music ever.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 5, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah, I don't think the Pridelands even has any relevance to the plot beyond something Pete does. None of the Organization XIII members are there (seeing a bunch of cloaked lions would have been funny)

Skylark posted:

Wow I had no idea. Pride Lands was awesome, Lion King was definitely my favorite movie growing up. I agree that Atlantis was totally lame in execution, but I've always thought it would be pretty cool if they found a way to fit in more of the full songs from the movies, lyrics included. I guess it would probably piss off a lot of players, but since I grew up loving the songs from most of these movies, I wouldn't mind a full musical number or two going down on the worlds (imagine "Out There", complete with all the vocals, happening in 3D to kick off the Notre Dame world). gently caress it, I might even sing along if my roommate isn't home.

Oh yeah I agree, I'd have loved more songs. Though I would want the vocals to be the originals and not have Haley Joel Osmant or Donald singing any of it.

They have the feel and animation down perfect (the genie is especially amazing) so it would be cool to see, say, a full 3D kingdom hearts rendition of Hellfire. Maybe include Heartless amongst all the fire demons?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's a little weird now after BBS listening to Goofy and Donald go on about "I wonder what this key is the letter's talkin 'bout" :downs: I know it's been a few years since the whole X-blade incident but you'd think they'd remember it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Macaluso posted:

They have the feel and animation down perfect (the genie is especially amazing) so it would be cool to see, say, a full 3D kingdom hearts rendition of Hellfire. Maybe include Heartless amongst all the fire demons?

It's not the same obviously, but there's this fan imagining of a Hellfire battle song, or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not the same obviously, but there's this fan imagining of a Hellfire battle song, or something.

This is really cool. So is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIStA5VWe4

I'd love to see more people try these!!

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I'm sorry but this has to be reposted while it's on topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXYwKDco8I&feature=related I'm sure it'll be taken down in like a day (Diiiiisney! :argh:) but the whole opening scene though...god, so so soooo incredibly well done.

It's too bad you don't get to fight Frollo in KH3D. And that Tony Jay won't be his voice again. :(

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Well, I caved and I started playing some more Birth By Sleep! As Ventus, now (beat it as Aqua before). I just barely started, but man the frame rate gets pretty godawful in this game. Anyone know if KHDDD will be this bad, frame rate wise? :eek: I LOVE good graphics, but it gets hard to play when they choose that over actually playing in real time.

LemonLimeTime posted:

I'm sorry but this has to be reposted while it's on topic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXYwKDco8I&feature=related I'm sure it'll be taken down in like a day (Diiiiisney! :argh:) but the whole opening scene though...god, so so soooo incredibly well done.

Hmm what if all the KH fans here who were interested organized synctubing this together somehow? Or another Disney film. :frogbon: Been a long time for me.

EDIT: Right you are, Pureauthor.

Skylark fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 6, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think you mean playing some BbS.

Also I heard DDD's framerate gets back in Pinocchio's world due to it being a carnival setting. No firsthand experience yet, of course.

Tsampikos
May 4, 2009

Skylark posted:

Well, I caved and I started playing some more Birth By Sleep! As Ventus, now (beat it as Aqua before). I just barely started, but man the frame rate gets pretty godawful in this game. Anyone know if KHDDD will be this bad, frame rate wise? :eek: I LOVE good graphics, but it gets hard to play when they choose that over actually playing in real time.

You can go into the config menu ingame and set the psp to run at 333mhz instead of 222mhz. Should stop low framerates.
Drains batteries faster though.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Tsampikos posted:

You can go into the config menu ingame and set the psp to run at 333mhz instead of 222mhz. Should stop low framerates.
Drains batteries faster though.

Ah. Thanks for this.:h: I just hope the 3DS one runs smoothly; now that I think about it I don't know how powerful it is compared to other systems.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
From all the massive spoiler battles I've seen, it seems to be handling itself pretty well. Even the very first two bosses have a lot going around all the time, but it doesn't seem to ever impair the gameplay or lag.

Tutorial is pretty weird though. In that I don't think there is one.

Soundtrack is pretty massive. Turns out that every single boss has its own theme, even the different Dream Eaters.

Was gonna watch the secret movie, but Flash player crashed. When I refreshed, it said that Square Enix had it removed for copyright reasons. I wonder why? It's well beyond the release date.

Also, latest interview with Nomura got translated, but here's a quote:

Q-For you, what does Kingdom Hearts mean?
A-I’m in my thirties.

I understand he's trying to say it makes him feel young again, but the answer's pretty funny out of context.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 6, 2012

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Managed to get my hands on a copy of Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix and man oh man, the language barrier is killer sometimes, especially when trying to equip abilities. I've started working up a mini translation-guide with the help of a Japanese alphabet and Google Translate.

*/ edit: or I could have just looked at the Abilities page on the KH Wiki. Now I feel dumb /*

I read a review of DDD that said regular combat is crap in comparison to the new attacking mechanics. I'm hoping that's not entirely true.

Chunderstorm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 6, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ummm so there's apparently a game-breaking bug in this game?

quote:

Square Enix has officially acknowledged that there’s a bug in the recently released Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. The bug can prevent players from making progress in the long-awaited adventure. There doesn’t appear to be an update to resolve the issue, but Square Enix has produced an information page which details the bug, and shows players how they can avoid it. Hopefully the bug won’t be an issue when the game launches in North America on July 31st.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
As far as I can gather, it's something to do with a barrier not dissipating during Riku's scenario if he does a certain action, so he then can't progress. Or something like that.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Game breaking bug: plot insufficiently zany.

I haven't heard about it, but I'm willing to bet it will be fixed for the English release, and the bug fix will later be ported back to Japan as DDD:FM.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can't you patch on the 3DS? This shouldn't be much of a worry.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Liku posted:

Can't you patch on the 3DS? This shouldn't be much of a worry.

My understanding is the game has to have that functionality built into it on release. Not sure if KHDDD does, but seems unlikely, so hopefully this is fixed in release copies in other regions.

Breezing through this replay of Birth By Sleep, these worlds are taking a lot less time to complete than I remembered/am used to from the PS2 games. Mickey just showed up, clad in full armor, weileding a Keyblade... Badass. :regd10: Might actually finish up all 3 characters before the next game.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Skylark posted:

My understanding is the game has to have that functionality built into it on release. Not sure if KHDDD does, but seems unlikely, so hopefully this is fixed in release copies in other regions.

Breezing through this replay of Birth By Sleep, these worlds are taking a lot less time to complete than I remembered/am used to from the PS2 games. Mickey just showed up, clad in full armor, weileding a Keyblade... Badass. :regd10: Might actually finish up all 3 characters before the next game.

Birth By Sleep goes pretty fast since each individual story takes about 7-10 hours. I think I beat all three stories in about....a week? Maybe 2 weeks? But then I was playing it nonstop when I first got it, so, yeah. (I remember beating Terra's story first on the second night I had it I was so hooked)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
So... which Dream Eaters do you think may be your party members in the end game of 3D?

I'm leaning towards the T-Rex and one of the Dragon ones, for both Sora and Riku.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
I went to the Gamestop today for non-KH-related reasons but when the lovely woman behind the counter asked if there was anything I wanted to pre-order, I'll be damned if Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance didn't nearly come to my lips. But there's no pre-order bonus, right..? Haven't picked up a game in a brickandmortar store in some time, but I've heard talk of different pre-order bonuses that depend on what store you buy it at, for certain games. Unless there's some Bonus, I'll wait until this game "drops" to pick it up.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Skylark posted:

I went to the Gamestop today for non-KH-related reasons but when the lovely woman behind the counter asked if there was anything I wanted to pre-order, I'll be damned if Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance didn't nearly come to my lips. But there's no pre-order bonus, right..? Haven't picked up a game in a brickandmortar store in some time, but I've heard talk of different pre-order bonuses that depend on what store you buy it at, for certain games. Unless there's some Bonus, I'll wait until this game "drops" to pick it up.

They haven't announced anything yet, but there will probably be one

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
So is there a plot description anywhere yet? Likely never going to play this title and I don't really care about spoiling it for myself :shobon:

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Lord of Laughton posted:

So is there a plot description anywhere yet? Likely never going to play this title and I don't really care about spoiling it for myself :shobon:

I'm sure there are plot descriptions on every fan website for Kingdom Hearts; it's out in Japan now. Knock yourself out; I'm going to try to steer clear of spoilers, though, and experience the game without knowing what's to come. But yeah, it's hard to play all the games when they put each one on a different system.. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just wanted to gather all the TWEWY remixes in one post since they are so good.

Twister.

Calling.

And of course,

SOMEDAY

I'd rather have a TWEWY sequel than a new KH, to be honest.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 10, 2012