Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anchovies Foster
Feb 1, 2012

drainpipe posted:

I've been really liking the Eastern European atmospheric stuff like Walknut, Ygg, Drudkh, Darkestrah... Can anyone recommend any other bands in the same vein? Doesn't have to be Eastern European (WIITR for example).

Give Helrunar or Kampfar a shot. I'm crazy about Drudkh and searched a long time for something of a similar ilk. Check out Helrunar's Gratr or Frostnacht, and Kampfar's Fra Underverdenen or Heimgang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Could someone recommend me thrashy semi-melodic BM bands in the vein of late Marduk/FM, Ofermod, Watain, Dissection and Nifelheim. I've just read most of the thread but my knowledge of the genre is still painfully lacking. A friend recommended me 1439 but they're so boring :(

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Therion posted:

Could someone recommend me thrashy semi-melodic BM bands in the vein of late Marduk/FM, Ofermod, Watain, Dissection and Nifelheim. I've just read most of the thread but my knowledge of the genre is still painfully lacking. A friend recommended me 1439 but they're so boring :(

Ravencult should fit that bill if you can deal with things leaning more towards thrash than melodic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCtwLPFfZd0

Morbid Blood is a good album

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Morbid Florist posted:

Ravencult should fit that bill if you can deal with things leaning more towards thrash than melodic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCtwLPFfZd0

Morbid Blood is a good album

Thanks a lot, that wasn't exactly what I was looking for but is still awesome. Going to slap myself for missing it since I already have a massive hardon for Greek BM :v:

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 6, 2012

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Therion posted:

Gospel of the Horns might suit yer fancy. More thrash than melodic though.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Therion posted:

If Ravencult meets your needs, you'll probably dig the Australian blackened thrash of Deströyer 666. Unchain the Wolves is sooooo good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-Kva94R7Q

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Therion posted:

Thulcandra is pretty straight forward Dissection worship.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Weaponized Cum posted:

Thulcandra is pretty straight forward Dissection worship.

A little TOO worshipy. Fallen Angel's Dominion sounds like they sat down with Storm of the Light's Bane and tried to make their own version of it.

I like em but they try a little too hard to be Dissection

clearly not a horse
May 8, 2009

undue butt brutality is not a criminal offense
Has there been any announcements from Mayehm on an eventuel new album yet? They are as slow as Valve, and I'm getting pretty impatient.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Since Rune Eriksen left (aka Blasphemer) after Ordo Ad Chao, I wouldn't hold my breath for new material any time soon.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Therion posted:

I seem to answer "melodic BM in the vein of Dissection etc" on a 6monthly basis, so I'm just going to quote the last batch:

The Clit Avoider posted:

As much as I like Unanimated, both Sacramentum and Vinterland sound much more like Dissection. I actually happen to prefer both to Dissection. Astriaal's debut was Dissection on speed. Lord Belial and Necromicon are worth a shout. Setherial's Nord album is mindblowingly good but the rest of their discography is pretty redundant.

Oh and yeah, Dawn.

Other stuff that isn't so close but people will probably like includes Swordmaster,Sorhin, Kvist, Hirilorn, Sad Legend, Sentenced, Vargavinter, Algaion.

For Ofermod and Watain you will also like a lot of Malign's material (they're basically the founders of the entire swedish orthodox bm movement as well as half of the french rip-off crew's influences), as well as Ondskapt.

For Nifelheim style thrashy black:
Destroyer 666 - Ride the Solar Winds
Gospel of the Horns - Absolute Power
Witchaven - Black Thrash Assault
Flagellator - To Hell's Servants
Desaster - Nekropolis Karthago
Vomitor - Midnight Madness
Inquisition - Hail the King of All Heathens

And hit your goddamn friend in the face for suggesting 1349 (or go back and read what bands I've recommended countless times instead of them, your call). Band is woeful.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I am catching up on a lot of albums I've had sitting around and I finally got to Avsky - Scorn. Really good album. Check it out if any of you are into the Swedish orthodox sound.

Avsky - As the Mountains Collapse

Also got around to Antediluvian. Don't know if that counts for this thread though, mostly death metal I suppose but sufficiently blackened. Kind of like if you combined Portal with Incantation.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Along the lines of Avsky (I like Malignant better) is Ork Bastards. Way dirtier sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygjbxWRXeEU

But you absolutely can't beat gently caress Your Values, gently caress Your Beliefs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Avsky is just straight up hatred, I loving love it. As long as you don't mind the NS undertones, check out M8L8TH too.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Avsky is just straight up hatred, I loving love it. As long as you don't mind the NS undertones, check out M8L8TH too.

The singer from M8L8TH sounds like he's just losing his goddamn mind. That band actually reminds me a lot of early '90s hardcore, metallic riffs and a singer moving from shouting/screaming to just losing his poo poo completely.

BosendorferIstKrieg
Apr 1, 2008

holy/violence
I hope someone's mentioned Dodecahedron. Because if not, Dodecahedron: like Deathspell Omega, with less nauseous riffing.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Monkeytime posted:

The singer from M8L8TH sounds like he's just losing his goddamn mind. That band actually reminds me a lot of early '90s hardcore, metallic riffs and a singer moving from shouting/screaming to just losing his poo poo completely.

Not to open up a huge can of worms with the nazi stuff, but I've always found it funny how many slavic bands use neo nazi imagery and lyrical themes in their music and talk about aryan glory, when slavic people were actually considered to be scum fit to be killed off to make room for the real aryan people by the nazis.

Oh well, guess logic is too much to ask for from neo nazis, music is good though.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

BosendorferIstKrieg posted:

I hope someone's mentioned Dodecahedron. Because if not, Dodecahedron: like Deathspell Omega, with less nauseous riffing.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I listened to this album a month or two ago and thought it was great.

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Not to open up a huge can of worms with the nazi stuff, but I've always found it funny how many slavic bands use neo nazi imagery and lyrical themes in their music and talk about aryan glory, when slavic people were actually considered to be scum fit to be killed off to make room for the real aryan people by the nazis.

Oh well, guess logic is too much to ask for from neo nazis, music is good though.

Yeah, this very thing broke my brain until I just stopped questioning it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Nuclear Fetus posted:

In WWII the Italians were a notch or two below the german aryans on hitler's food chain but they signed up with him. Human beings are stupid no matter what their allegiance is.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nuclear Fetus posted:

If you're dumb enough to think one race is superior to another in the first place it's not really that big a leap of logic to identify with the nazis. Besides, they can be unified in their rabid antisemitism, I guess.

Also, shock value.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Black metal? I hate it as a rule because I find it so samey and atonal, and a bit too anti-Christian for my tastes.

Obsidian Gate seems to have changed that. My favorite type of metal is melodic death with bands like Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Vader, and Witchery. Obsidian Gate doesn't smack of Christian hating bile I've heard in a majority of black metal, and the chord progression is actually *melodic* with these guys, particularly the Invoke the Dragon Constellation songs that I listened to.

Is it ok to like Obsidian Gate for my black metal fix?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Are you asking for e-approval?

If you want real black metal with melody that doesn't spend all its time crying about christians listen to Immortal. :black101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98oVLul1jlk

I'm listening to this song you mentioned and all I hear is keyboards with a backup band drowning in a lovely mixing job.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 5, 2012

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Aziraphale posted:

Black metal? I hate it as a rule because I find it so samey and atonal, and a bit too anti-Christian for my tastes.

Obsidian Gate seems to have changed that. My favorite type of metal is melodic death with bands like Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Vader, and Witchery. Obsidian Gate doesn't smack of Christian hating bile I've heard in a majority of black metal, and the chord progression is actually *melodic* with these guys, particularly the Invoke the Dragon Constellation songs that I listened to.

This song you mentioned is pretty awful. There are plenty of black metal bands who don't focus their music on spreading anti-christian ideals and create melodic music. Emperor (excluding earlier stuff), Drudkh, Enslaved, Immortal, Lunar Aurora, Wolves in the Throne Room, Windir, and countless others that people in here can do a better job of naming off.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aziraphale posted:

So don't post here? My love for black metal comes from the pure hatred it displays. It's awesome to take in. I don't practice any of the themes but I respect the artists and what they represent.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
hey guys i dont like black metal and i :h: god just wanted to say that vader is melodic death well cya

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Unacknowledged posted:

This song you mentioned is pretty awful. There are plenty of black metal bands who don't focus their music on spreading anti-christian ideals and create melodic music. Emperor (excluding earlier stuff), Drudkh, Enslaved, Immortal, Lunar Aurora, Wolves in the Throne Room, Windir, and countless others that people in here can do a better job of naming off.

I will certainly give the bands you mentioned a listen.

Please spare me the hostility, I didn't mean to offend the black metal sensibilities I was trying to say I know gently caress-all about black metal and thought Obsidian Gate sounded good.

I know Immortal and I'd like the opinions of this thread concerning their Damned in Black, Sons of Northern Darkness, and [/i]At the Heart of Winter[/i] albums. I'm told they are classic Immortal stuff.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 6, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aziraphale posted:

I'm at a loss as to how you even get christian hate from most black metal without taking logos really seriously or wikipediaing everything. It's not like the lyrics are comprehensible 95% of the time. But I guess there's the sort of post-metal (I hate this term) american black metal scene that really doesn't seem to give a gently caress about religion one way or another.

Although if all you like is MDM I don't know that much black metal is really for you.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Aziraphale posted:

I will certainly give the bands you mentioned a listen.

Please spare me the hostility, I didn't mean to offend the black metal sensibilities I was trying to say I know gently caress-all about black metal and thought Obsidian Gate sounded good.

I know Immortal and I'd like the opinions of this thread concerning their Damned in Black, Sons of Northern Darkness, and [/i]At the Heart of Winter[/i] albums. I'm told they are classic Immortal stuff.

They are all great, and Battles in the North is essential as well. For someone new to black metal, Damned in Black might be a good place to start.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Aziraphale posted:

Listen to them. gently caress our opinions, just go listen to them. We aren't telling you about them because they blow.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Morbid Florist posted:

Listen to them. gently caress our opinions, just go listen to them. We aren't telling you about them because they blow.

gently caress you you're not my dad!

I bought Sons of Northern Darkness and Battles in the North because I wanted to! Not because YOU told me!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

You bought Sons of Northern Darkness.

Abbath is now your daddy :black101:

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
At The Heart Of Winter is the single classiest sellout album in history. How does a band sellout by making one of the best metal albums ever?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
For anyone who likes their black metal with a touch of that melancholic "celtic" sound Primordial are wanton to imbue their music with, Eternal Helcaraxe have a new album due out. I always thought the blasting bits had a touch of Destroyer too them too.

It certainly sounds more mature than their last, which relied just a bit too much on raw emotion alone (and that opening riff is pure Zarathustra).

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 6, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

RHTITE posted:

At The Heart Of Winter is the single classiest sellout album in history. How does a band sellout by making one of the best metal albums ever?

It's only selling out if you suck afterwords. Immortal just because a different kind of awesome.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah but At The Heart Of Winter does suck compared to Pure Holocaust, for example. They hosed up completely and still ended up ahead of just about everyone else. I can't think of anyone else that managed it so well.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I look at it like Darkthrone, who I personally like better once they stopped clinging to their original sound. I love both bands' early albums but I like where they went later on better. Neither one walked away from black metal, they just did it their own way eventually.

I loving love Heart of Winter AND Pure Holocaust. Honestly I think if they'd stuck with the traditional Norwegian black sound they started with they would have faded out years ago.

I didn't read much about Immortal back in the 90s. Did they catch poo poo for the jump between Blizzard Beasts (awful album IMO) and ...Winter?
Maybe if Abbath's guitar work didn't give me such a stiffy I'd agree with you more, I'll say that much :)

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 6, 2012

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Morbid Florist posted:

I didn't read much about Immortal back in the 90s. Did they catch poo poo for the jump between Blizzard Beasts (awful album IMO) and ...Winter?
Maybe if Abbath's guitar work didn't give me such a stiffy I'd agree with you more, I'll say that much :)

No because fuckin EVERYONE got a stiffy listening to ATHOW. It's legit a great album. If they hadn't done that album, I get the feeling Demonaz would have likely written a full on Death Metal record after Blizzard Beasts. Who knows where it could have went. Enslaved had a pretty cool process of selling out too (I don't use this term to slag them, it's just the easiest way to explain it). Frost comes out as a perfectly good evolution following the debut, then Eld falls off a cliff, to be followed by the streamlined speed metal of Blodhemn. They realized that they couldn't follow that in their old style without falling completely to pieces so they switched it up to a more spacy rock thing and released an ok album in Mardraum.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I love showing my non-metal friends the Abbath crabwalk and saying they're legit my favorite black metal band, no joke.

Also cause every time I try to scream along to metal songs I sound exactly like Abbath :black101:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Also cause every time I try to scream along to metal songs I sound exactly like Abbath :black101:

I think I sound like Pest from Gorgoroth but who knows \/:)\/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
These albums are loving amazing. I wonder though if iTunes hosed something up because all the songs on Battles in the North end abruptly like the tracks are cut off. Is this album supposed to be like this?