Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Anyone have any theories as to why Marvel published the "Death of Spider-Man Prelude" TPB with two covers?

I bought it when it first came out, it looked like this:

But subsequent printings have this cover:

I don't really mind either way, it just seems odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Starsnostars posted:

Rick Remender announced that a Fear Agents omnibus is coming out in October. I've loved Remender's work at Marvel so I'm pretty curious about this, how good is Fear Agents?

It is decent, you'll see a lot of familiar Remender storytelling methods though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

^burtle posted:

It is decent, you'll see a lot of familiar Remender storytelling methods though.

I'd say it's more than decent if you like Remender's style.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Zachack posted:

I don't know some folks really really don't like Time Travel.

RazedByNatives
Jul 1, 2004

Zachack posted:

It is my favorite thing he's done, and that's including X-Force

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just thought I'd make everyone's day a little better.

It exists and it hits retail tomorrow. I can't wait til tomorrow afternoon so I can take my copy home with me.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Rhyno posted:

glory

:worship: You are a loving legend. This has made my otherwise lovely day!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It exists and it hits retail tomorrow. I can't wait til tomorrow afternoon so I can take my copy home with me.
DC didn't gently caress up the color or anything, did they?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I love you for this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Colors look good, I have not sat and read it because O have a whole comic order to process, that will have to wait til tomorrow.

Be aware though, the dust jacket is a thinner paper than most HCs, I feel like I could very easily tear it so be careful when you pick up your copies.

I will post pictures of the interior tomorrow when it is cool to do so, I really just wanted everyone to know that the book has indeed shipped.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I can't wait to discover that they put some pages in upside down or something and have to pulp the whole batch and delay it again for another six months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I can't wait to discover that they put some pages in upside down or something and have to pulp the whole batch and delay it again for another six months.

I just had my lunch break and I went through page by page to check for any printing errors, it looks goo so far.

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!

Rhyno posted:

Just picked this up. Never heard of it before, but I trust Goon hype.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Hollis posted:

You are in for an amazing ride my friend.

Everyone grab your copies, we had one damaged and Diamond is showing no stock for reorders right now.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dan Hollis posted:

It should be mentioned, Flex Mentallo, the man of muscle mystery, is not your normal comic. If you made it past the cover thinking it is, I don't know what to say.

E ^ But Vertigo doesn't usually let things stay out of print for long, right? Unlike Marvel's Omni/OSHC

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

E ^ But Vertigo doesn't usually let things stay out of print for long, right? Unlike Marvel's Omni/OSHC

Who knows with this book. For all the legal red tape they might have been restricted to one printing.

But nevermind, it's now showing up in inventory again. Probably just Diamond's lovely site acting up again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Saw this on CBR:
I knew they were "upgrading" the coloring of the Flex HC a little bit, but I had no idea it was this drastic:

Original on the left, 2012 version on the right.

Goddammit, DC.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 6, 2012

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
On the one hand, I prefer the bright and crazy colors. Maybe they're doing something so some scenes are bright and crazy and some are dull and real world?

On the other, I had completely forgotten about that scene where he discusses the impacts of the not-Kryptonite. I don't remember it well enough to quote, but everything I do remember about it is amazing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does DC have it out for their artists or something? I forgave The Killing Joke because the original artist did the recolor but then you have the downright insulting Incal which butchered Moebius' art completely, Mazuchelli's work in Year One being "tossed in the garbage," and now Flex Mentallo is getting the lovely airbrush treatment despite the work being an homage to Golden Age comics. There's no need to fix the coloring or touch things up. Artists don't want their work airbrushed over, collectors want a definitive compilation for their bookshelves, and new readers aren't going to turn their nose up when they open a premium priced hardcover of a series they haven't heard of before.

What's the decision making process behind these things? Who sits down and says "This definitely won't sell in 2012! Change it!!" How much money does DC invest into having someone color over every page? I want to know these things.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 6, 2012

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
Rhyno, is this true?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

redbackground posted:

Saw this on CBR:
I knew they were "upgrading" the coloring of the Flex HC a little bit, but I had no idea it was this drastic:

Original on the left, 2012 version on the right.

Goddammit, DC.

I hadn't looked at anything from the original for a while. I didn't notice it at the time I reread Flex, and now I won't ever unsee it. Dammit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

but then you have the downright insulting Incal which butchered Moebius' art completely

Can you expand on this? I tried googling it, but couldn't find anything about it. I thought Humanoids publishing was generally really good about preserving stuff, especially considering that it was founded by Moebius himself.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I'm pretty sure Morrison and Quitely have both praised the recolor.

Yeah, Doherty says he did it "in close collaboration" with Frank Quitely. http://notaproperperson.blogspot.ca/

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

Yeah, Doherty says he did it "in close collaboration" with Frank Quitely. http://notaproperperson.blogspot.ca/

Well, Neil G. praised the Sandman re-colorings, and those were an abomination (Gradients! Gradients everywhere!).

The quality of the recolored FM looks better, but I honestly prefer the original color choices. I was just surprised how far the recoloring went. I'll just pick the book up used, instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kunzelman posted:

Rhyno, is this true?

Is what true?

Edit:
So I'm putting together my initial April order and I've come to the Invisibles Omnibus. Who is actually ordering this? I don't know that I can justify the price point for a book that will probably be so heavy the pages will tear out of the spint.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 6, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

d00gZ posted:

Quitely mentions being unhappy with the originals here:
http://www.comicbooked.com/studio-sessions-frank-quitely/

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

So I'm putting together my initial April order and I've come to the Invisibles Omnibus. Who is actually ordering this? I don't know that I can justify the price point for a book that will probably be so heavy the pages will tear out of the spint.

I love the Invisibles and unless I hear something amazing about how it is put together I cannot justify that omnibus. The money doesn't even matter as much as the fact that half the book will be lost in the gutters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

I love the Invisibles and unless I hear something amazing about how it is put together I cannot justify that omnibus. The money doesn't even matter as much as the fact that half the book will be lost in the gutters.

I just don't know. We get it a wee bit cheaper if it's initially ordered so I'm trying to make a call on this.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I just don't know. We get it a wee bit cheaper if it's initially ordered so I'm trying to make a call on this.

You know, I want one. I really do. But I want to see it first, see how they handle a book that big losing things in the gutter.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

bairfanx posted:

You know, I want one. I really do. But I want to see it first, see how they handle a book that big losing things in the gutter.

I'm exactly the same, especially after how bad the New 52 omnibus turned out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is it oversized or recolored?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Can you expand on this? I tried googling it, but couldn't find anything about it. I thought Humanoids publishing was generally really good about preserving stuff, especially considering that it was founded by Moebius himself.

In 2004 DC signed a deal with Humanoids to reprint The Incal in English. DC ended up recoloring and censoring everything and it looked butt loving awful. Most recolors preserve the line art but this reprint would regularly alter and paint over the lines. You couldn't even tell it was drawn by Moebius. It would be like asking a child to paint over the Mona Lisa or something.

Couple of images here.

Safe example of the censoring

NSFW censoring examples

Whoever was in charge of the decision to do this needs to be ousted from the industry completely.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

In 2004 DC signed a deal with Humanoids to reprint The Incal in English. DC ended up recoloring and censoring everything and it looked butt loving awful. Most recolors preserve the line art but this reprint would regularly alter and paint over the lines. You couldn't even tell it was drawn by Moebius. It would be like asking a child to paint over the Mona Lisa or something.

Thanks for this information! Good to know that I have a good version of the book, but geez, that is some godawful coloring. Why anyone would do that to someone else's art, let alone frickin' Moebius, is beyond my understanding.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Is the Johns Flash Vol 2 omni as bad as the first one is supposed to be?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Is the Johns Flash Vol 2 omni as bad as the first one is supposed to be?

I never cracked the shrink wrap on the first one, what was so bad about it?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

I never cracked the shrink wrap on the first one, what was so bad about it?

According go the reviews on Amazon, it is glued instead of sewn and doesn't collect as much as it should

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

According go the reviews on Amazon, it is glued instead of sewn and doesn't collect as much as it should

poo poo, I bet the Invisibles is glued as well. God that should have been a 3 volume set.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

al-azad posted:

Couple of images here.

Safe example of the censoring

NSFW censoring examples

Whoever was in charge of the decision to do this needs to be ousted from the industry completely.

Is this the most recent edition of the Incal?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

bairfanx posted:

Naw, the most recent edition is superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bairfanx posted:

I agree with d00gZ. I just got it a couple of weeks ago and it is gorgeous.