Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I guess I missed these, but Stubhub's "ticket oak" is just...creepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUlWpacmEA&feature=relmfu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

CapnAndy posted:

Burger King is better than McDonald's. Wendy's is better than either of them.

My colon's reaction to the first (and last) Baconater I ever had begs to differ.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 6, 2012

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

Jimmy Johns radio ads are so bad that if I'm in the car and one comes on it makes me want to drive my car into the nearest school building.

They're really lovely but for some reason I like the one where the guy's house is on fire.

Yes I did, grab a bucket.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhyno posted:

Jimmy Johns radio ads are so bad that if I'm in the car and one comes on it makes me want to drive my car into the nearest school building.

I've made it a point to never, ever eat Jimmy Johns solely because of how annoying it was in college to have their delivery people wallpaper the entire floor of my apartment complex in doorhangers and flyers every time they delivered. Their radio ads are just par for the course.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What the gently caress is going on in those furry wet dream Mio water thing commercials? They're on all the time and I don't get the joke.

I think they're trying to rip off those french Orangina only with less artiness and even more creepiness.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I guess I missed these, but Stubhub's "ticket oak" is just...creepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwUlWpacmEA&feature=relmfu

Can I get four tickets to this weekend's game--whaaaaaat?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

404GoonNotFound posted:

My colon's reaction to the first (and last) Baconater I ever had begs to differ.

It's not Wendy's fault that you're too weak to handle it. :colbert:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just saw a commercial earlier during Community about adult diapers, having some no-name actress change into them on the red carpet. :wtc:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rirse posted:

I just saw a commercial earlier during Community about adult diapers, having some no-name actress change into them on the red carpet. :wtc:

There's another one with NFL players.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rirse posted:

Apparently Depends commercials are a thing now. This came up in TFF a few days ago.

e: beaten, but I have a link

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Farbtoner posted:

I've made it a point to never, ever eat Jimmy Johns solely because of how annoying it was in college to have their delivery people wallpaper the entire floor of my apartment complex in doorhangers and flyers every time they delivered. Their radio ads are just par for the course.

I have a vendetta against the local Jimmy Johns due to how terribly unprofessional they were when I applied there a few years back. The manager made me wait 20 minutes to take their menu test in an empty building while he wandered about, got stuff out of his truck, made sexual advances at one of his employees, went back to his truck. Then looked at my menu test while blatantly high as a kite, and told me that they weren't hiring.

EDIT to add:

This of course was after they had me fill out an application, briefly interviewed me and told me to memorize the menu and come back the next day. Upon coming back the next day, I was told that the guy I needed to speak with wasn't there and to come back again the next day.

I know I shouldn't judge an entire company by one store, but this was the manager and he couldn't be bothered to be even semi-professional, which leads me to believe that there's at least regional issues.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 6, 2012

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
What kind of restaurant is Jimmy Johns? Is it fast food? Don't have those in the W Mass area that I know of.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Clamknuckle posted:

What kind of restaurant is Jimmy Johns? Is it fast food? Don't have those in the W Mass area that I know of.

It's a sub shop with delivery, basically. Subway's even scummier and less healthy cousin.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a sub shop with delivery, basically. Subway's even scummier and less healthy cousin.

Don't you dare impugn Jimmy John's honor. When you're too drunk to walk at 2 in the morning, they will bring subs to you. That's magical.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like their subs better than Subway's, too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Jimmy Johns talk: I also prefer JJ to subway almost every time.

Annoying ad talk: You know what annoys me now? THE HAAAAPAR! (Dish's Hopper DVR, in non-New England speak)

It doesn't help my mom thinks it's hilarious.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Buzkashi posted:

Don't you dare impugn Jimmy John's honor. When you're too drunk to walk at 2 in the morning, they will bring subs to you. That's magical.

This is literally Jimmy Johns' business model. Hire college drunks/stoners to run a cheap delivery outlet for college drunks/stoners. When I was in college it was great, now that I'm out I'm never going to one again.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Iron Crowned posted:

I know I shouldn't judge an entire company by one store, but this was the manager and he couldn't be bothered to be even semi-professional, which leads me to believe that there's at least regional issues.

They're franchises.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

They're franchises.

Franchises are still accountable to their franchiser on some level. I worked for a janitorial company that franchised out their cleaning cleaning contracts, no one liked to see me because I meant that the franchisees were going to lose money.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I know this is not a new commercial, but it still makes me laugh that Justin Bieber goes to these girls house and they shriek and two seconds later hes like "Im here with some Proactiv for your backne". Not to mention cameras too. Even though its probably staged, its still a hilarious premise.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I actually like the level of control over your sandwich that you get at subway, but Jimmy Johns is definitely more dedicated. Last year when campus was snowed in and earlier this week when we were pinned down by a tornado warning, they were still delivering.

Their drivers fear no death.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Iron Crowned posted:

Franchises are still accountable to their franchiser on some level. I worked for a janitorial company that franchised out their cleaning cleaning contracts, no one liked to see me because I meant that the franchisees were going to lose money.

Of course they are, but I'm just saying that it explains the varying quality of the stores.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I actually like the level of control over your sandwich that you get at subway, but Jimmy Johns is definitely more dedicated. Last year when campus was snowed in and earlier this week when we were pinned down by a tornado warning, they were still delivering.

Their drivers fear no death.

THC's a helluva drug.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Erbert's and Gerbert's is the best sub delivery place but I don't think its too widespread. Jimmy John's has delivered to me when I was desperately hung over and waiting in a line a few times though so they have that going for them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just caught an ad for Selldvdsonline.com, a company that buys DVDs & CDs.

I went to their website and you have to enter the UPC code and they'll make you an offer. I put in the UPC code for my Criterion Robocop.

The offer? Ten cents.

:psyduck:

Then I put in the MST3K Volume 10 (the original with the now-discontinued Godzilla vs Megalon). They offered $7.80.

Yeah, I'm gonna pass.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

Franchises are still accountable to their franchiser on some level.

But that level varies wildly. McDonald's, for example, will hand out a franchise to just about anybody with enough cash to afford it (though they've slowed down that practice since about 2004 or so, when they started buying out franchisees left and right), but they keep some pretty strict regulations on the franchisees and retain the right to buy back the franchise at any time. Culver's, on the other hand, is incredibly tight on its franchising -- Craig Culver personally interviews anyone who's made it to the final round of franchisee interviews, and you don't make it to that point without passing through two rounds of interviews and background checks, then spending two weeks working at a Culver's location (and by working, that means register / line cooking / fry station / cleaning ... the whole kit and kaboodle).

Mister Kingdom posted:

I went to their website and you have to enter the UPC code and they'll make you an offer. I put in the UPC code for my Criterion Robocop.

The offer? Ten cents.

:psyduck:

To be fair, the Criterion RoboCop is pretty much matched, or outmatched, by the later MGM releases in all respects outside of it actually having the spherical aspect ratio that Jost Vacano shot the film in, and the reproduction of Paul Sammon's Cinefex article about making the film. The Criterion transfer, as I recall, is pretty ugly.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 7, 2012

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
All of these LIFE commercials from the Prius C, at first it was the annoying fat beiber haired "Sushi is Peeuuushi" and for no reason the redhead just staring at the camera. The second one was a girl talking about how her dolphin tattoo isn't even ironic. And now, they have a caveman in a suit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's a PSA of sorts for a gas utility here in Toledo where a guy and the most annoyingly voiced wife of all time say "sweetie" about 30 times while discussing how to call the gas company before digging a hole. I'm not sure if it's used elsewhere. You know it if you've heard it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I know it's been discussed here before, but those Mio commercials creep me out more every time I see them. I suspect it's because of the sheer level of detail they put into them and I just notice more and more every time I see them.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
There's this new Bayer Advanced commercial that drives me nuts. There's a guy on a plane, and he asks the stewardess for an Advil, and she hands him a Bayer Advanced and he says "No, I'm not having a heart attack, I want pain relief" or something, and he talks to this woman like she's absolutely retarded. He's so condescending.

The new HR Block one is bad too where the woman says "I just always thought we should get more back." Since when does your refund depend on how much you feel you should get back?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Leon Einstein posted:

There's this new Bayer Advanced commercial that drives me nuts. There's a guy on a plane, and he asks the stewardess for an Advil, and she hands him a Bayer Advanced and he says "No, I'm not having a heart attack, I want pain relief" or something, and he talks to this woman like she's absolutely retarded. He's so condescending.

IIRC the guy is on a Korean flight or something and thinks the stewardess doesn't speak English. Of course that doesn't explain why he thinks explaining his problem in English is going to help.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

raditts posted:

IIRC the guy is on a Korean flight or something and thinks the stewardess doesn't speak English. Of course that doesn't explain why he thinks explaining his problem in English is going to help.
Yeah, I thought that was part of it, but the stewardess spoke perfect English, and it was just ridiculous the way he gestured and talked to her like she was retarded. It reminds me of somebody speaking English loudly and slowly to someone that doesn't understand it thinking it will help them comprehend it.

Language barrier aside, did he really think that she thought he was having a heart attack? "Oh, this guy's having a heart attack, better get him some aspirin instead of a doctor!"

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 9, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In a bit of fairness, asprin's been known over the last few years as a great heart attack preventative (not in every case, consult your own doctor, I'm not a doctor blah blah blah), and can reduce risk of death in the event of one.

Doesn't change that the guy does act like a dick towards her, but still. And hell, asprin was known as a pain reliever long loving before the heart attack stuff was discovered. So it makes even less sense.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
For the past while now, all of Bayer's ads, and even the packaging itself, proclaimed that it was great for heart health and was used to prevent heart attacks. I guess people forgot it was asprin or something, and now they're trying to remind them in the dumbest way possible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, I thought that was part of it, but the stewardess spoke perfect English, and it was just ridiculous the way he gestured and talked to her like she was retarded. It reminds me of somebody speaking English loudly and slowly to someone that doesn't understand it thinking it will help them comprehend it.

He is an idiot. That was the joke.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

I like these. Simple and low key. No stupid gimmick or retarded stereotypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjB3e7B3V08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIiWI3Iiliw

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

For the past while now, all of Bayer's ads, and even the packaging itself, proclaimed that it was great for heart health and was used to prevent heart attacks. I guess people forgot it was asprin or something, and now they're trying to remind them in the dumbest way possible.

It's a simple branding thing, if I recall correctly they don't ever refer to Bayer as aspirin. Basically it is to milk money out of everyone who doesn't realize that it's aspirin.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a simple branding thing, if I recall correctly they don't ever refer to Bayer as aspirin. Basically it is to milk money out of everyone who doesn't realize that it's aspirin.
Aspirin is generic, you can't market yourself as just that.

Well, I mean, you can, but it'd be as effective as putting on an ad saying "buy paper towels!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Aspirin is generic, you can't market yourself as just that.

Well, I mean, you can, but it'd be as effective as putting on an ad saying "buy paper towels!"

Actually, they used to own the name Aspirin.

They had to give it up because of the Treaty of Versailles.

Really.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sash! posted:

Actually, they used to own the name Aspirin.

They had to give it up because of the Treaty of Versailles.

Really.

Heroin too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkoYChaDSvk
Because when I think "a better diet," I think McDonalds.

Although I suppose it is relatively "better" if you're a goat who literally eats garbage. Not by much, though.