Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet William
Aug 8, 2009

You wanted the best of the best, remember?

Should we sing about it again?
I was curious about that controller code in the ending text of Dragon Buster so I googled it. Turns out there's a second quest and an alternate ending. I'm surprised none of the staff mentioned this as they did with Makaimura.

Maybe nobody wanted to be roped into doing the second quest like Sasano did so they just feigned ignorance...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I knew it was something and I also found it odd they didn't mention it. I thought at the least it was a level select code and Arino would scold Emoto about not telling it to him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Kung Fu Heroes is a fun co-op game, but it's pretty difficult playing alone. I look forward to it.

Coop? Then it's a really good choice for a new AD intro. I don't know if it would be better to have someone at the Inoko MAX end of the scale or the Urakawa...

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Ineffiable posted:

How soon we forget:

edit: Countdown to kirby....

Dragon Slayer IV's catch card was the best one and no one can convince me otherwise. I'm just a little upset they didn't put Arino's face on the pet. It would've been difficult to notice at first glance, but god drat would it have been funny and/or horrifying.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Arino's so much better at gaming now I'm not particularly sure we need another Urakawa. It would be really cool to see another awesome gamer AD(I guess Emoto has been the closest but even he struggles in some games) but only if that meant that the season was based around difficult games.

I'm alright with either avenue as both provide their fun.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Ineffiable posted:

How soon we forget:

I love how much that makes Arino look like Mike Haggar.

Also Flashback has the best card.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Arino's so much better at gaming now I'm not particularly sure we need another Urakawa. It would be really cool to see another awesome gamer AD(I guess Emoto has been the closest but even he struggles in some games) but only if that meant that the season was based around difficult games.

I'd put Takahashi 2(Judgement Day) up there with Urakawa when it comes to playing ability. He picked nasty games for Arino and when Arino got stuck he was extremely good at playing them. I also think he had a special affinity for shooters.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I'd put Takahashi 2(Judgement Day) up there with Urakawa when it comes to playing ability. He picked nasty games for Arino and when Arino got stuck he was extremely good at playing them. I also think he had a special affinity for shooters.

I'll have to take your word for it, haven't seen much of 14 or 15.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well I'm wrapping things up on the next episode and it should be available tomorrow. While I'm doing this I thought I'd throw out a bit of fun for everyone.

The next release is a licensed game. I want you to tell me which game it is and post a picture of the original material. What do you win? Bragging rights.

I think that no one is going to get it though the clues are available, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone can plus seeing some of the pictures dug up for some of the stranger licensed games that Arino has played.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Well I'm wrapping things up on the next episode and it should be available tomorrow. While I'm doing this I thought I'd throw out a bit of fun for everyone.

The next release is a licensed game. I want you to tell me which game it is and post a picture of the original material. What do you win? Bragging rights.

I think that no one is going to get it though the clues are available, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone can plus seeing some of the pictures dug up for some of the stranger licensed games that Arino has played.

I think that the game is "Ge Ge Ge No Kitaro".

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dragon Power aka Dragonball.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mister Chief posted:

Dragon Power aka Dragonball.

I agree.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I'm guessing Phoenix: the King's Adventure, which I think is based off of Tezuka's Phoenix.

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?
I am going to go out on a limb and guess:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

I knew it was something and I also found it odd they didn't mention it. I thought at the least it was a level select code and Arino would scold Emoto about not telling it to him.
I don't even know if they knew about it. It was spelled out in words after a wall of text. I don't think anybody who was there for the episode speaks English, so it probably just seemed like it blended in.

I mean, just sort of glance at this without actually reading it:

To someone who doesn't speak the language, it just looks like more text, not some secret code sequence.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

I don't think anybody who was there for the episode speaks English, so it probably just seemed like it blended in.

There's a pretty good chance that Nakayama was there behind the camera; he was an AP in season 12. And I'm 90% sure that Kan speaks English since he did talk a bit at the fan event in LA.

But I think they must have decided one loop was enough.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

This little mini-contest makes me glad there isn't a Cream Lemon game.

And if I'm wrong, please do not correct me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yes, that is Cameraman Abe fanart.

Well, no one was able to guess the episode. The trick was that this isn't a game that most people (well those few aware that the game exists) don't realize it's a licensed game. Kid Kool was built on a child star of the day who is completely unknown in the US. Here's a picture of the kid:

Once more this is episode is brought to you by the woman who was the third Alfalfa in the Little Rascals shorts; she's the phenomenal zari-gani.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 554.65 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 7, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Can't wait to see the Kid Kool episode. I just watched AVGN play this game. Looks brutal.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

joek0 posted:

I just watched AVGN play this game. Looks brutal.

Indeed. We know Arino will better take this game in stride but I can't wait to see if he ends up getting screwed over by going over on the time limit if he finishes the game. (is this even a spoiler?)

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?
That's not a "licensed game," it's a "talent game."

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you

vkeios posted:

If you're still willing, I'd love that stationary.

2578-4005-7722

Hey, would love the stationary if it's possible. Added both your codes and mine is 1118-1085-9308

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
With each passing challenge, I gain more and more respect for Emoyan.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

joek0 posted:

Can't wait to see the Kid Kool episode. I just watched AVGN play this game. Looks brutal.

I recall the jumping in that game is absolute garbage. Arino seems to manage incredibly well with terrible controls though.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What the gently caress. That poo poo was worse than Adventure Island.

And Emoto's mugshot at the end is just horrible. :stare:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Okay, so I'm at PAX East. Which one of you did I StreePass with? Your message was "Kacho On" and you'll recognize me because my message was also
"Kacho On"!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NBHS posted:

With each passing challenge, I gain more and more respect for Emoyan.

I can agree with that. He's not the greatest AD ever but he did a lot of things well. He was awfully quiet though and most of you haven't seen some of his best moments (Wrecking Crew is a great episode for him and there's a special feature on a DVD where he's great).

If there's an AD that I think didn't come over well on the show (beside the women which is it's own problem) it's Katayama. I can't think of any big moments for him at all. I'm sure there's a few that I'll remember as we get into seasons thirteen and fourteen more but he's essentially a non-entity.

xamphear posted:

Okay, so I'm at PAX East. Which one of you did I StreePass with? Your message was "Kacho On" and you'll recognize me because my message was also
"Kacho On"!

That might not be a goon. We've spread out quite a bit.

Also, if there isn't at least one person at PAX dressed as Arino I will be disappointed.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
He did really drat well on Dragon Buster. I'm proud of him haha.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

Also, if there isn't at least one person at PAX dressed as Arino I will be disappointed.
I didn't see anyone as Arino over the last 2 days of walking around and going to panels. :( There was an awesome retro arcade machines room, as well as a room full of retro consoles and they were both full pretty much constantly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the new episode, team. I notice that this release more or less marks half of season 12 being translated.

Holy crap, that game. I'd seen the AVGN episode before, but watching Arino struggle against it really brings home the terror. The verticle scrolling mid-jump is killer.

I have the Master System pseudo-sequel, Psycho Fox, but I've never really spent that much time with it. Might have to pop it in and give it a look.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I was trying to go through Season 12 in chronological order before getting busy with the DVD translations. I'm not sure I could've gone on, though -- the next Season 12 episode(s) is Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (not to be confused with Shiren the Wanderer, the Wii game), and it's a two-parter. I've read a few Japanese forum threads about "best/worst GCCX challenges" and this challenge is considered to be one of the worst ones of all time in the Japanese fandom. It's just...boring. I probably would've skipped it and done Street Fighter 2010 instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zari-gani posted:

I was trying to go through Season 12 in chronological order before getting busy with the DVD translations. I'm not sure I could've gone on, though -- the next Season 12 episode(s) is Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (not to be confused with Shiren the Wanderer, the Wii game), and it's a two-parter. I've read a few Japanese forum threads about "best/worst GCCX challenges" and this challenge is considered to be one of the worst ones of all time in the Japanese fandom. It's just...boring. I probably would've skipped it and done Street Fighter 2010 instead.

Really? That's a shame. It feels like Arino playing Shiren should be awesome.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

zari-gani posted:

Man, that's a shame. Shiren's a great game, and probably one of the best Mystery Dungeon games out there. I'm honestly surprised they got something that boring out of it.

...For that matter, I'm also surprised they got a two-parter out of it, considering the base quest is kinda short. I guess Arino's playstyle just doesn't mesh with roguelikes? (this may explain the previous surprise as well)

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Kid Kool looks so bad watching it was annoying. Obviously some care went into trying some unique and potentially fun gameplay mechanics, but it's all completely ruined by what looks like poo poo controls and stage design that seems to waver between sadistic and just plain bad. Constant huge leaps of faith that lead right into nearly unavoidable death traps is Sonic 2006 levels of bad.

Even the "good ending" somehow seems sarcastic. "Oh good. You won. You're a hero. Do you want a loving medal?" It's given me newfound respect for Emoto. Twelve hours of sleep-deprived frustration for two minutes of footage I doubt anyone cares that much about...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

From what I can tell, we now sit with a translated episode from every season except 14.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

(not to be confused with Shiren the Wanderer, the Wii game)

On the other hand Shiren the Wanderer the DS game is a localization of the SNES game with a few extra features.

The first time I played it I made it to around the 18th floor. I've never been able to get to even the "entering the special area" cut scene again after that.

I don't know if I'd call Shiren the worst challenge but it does feel pretty decompressed. Arino stumbling into the stupid traps occurs mainly toward the beginning of the challenge and then after that things become pretty methodical. The tamage in the first part is pretty good but the rest of the segments aren't anything to get excited over (A Waste of Color is among my least favorite segments on the show).

However, have a picture of some dapper guys I found while refreshing my memory of the segments in the episodes:

Crotch Bat posted:

From what I can tell, we now sit with a translated episode from every season except 14.

Huh, that isn't what my math comes out to.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 8, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

This comment made me check the list in the OP. Is there any reason why things skip from Season 15 to Season 17?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I didn't say an SAGCCX sub specifically and unless I'm wrong, I don't see any in the OP for season 14.

e: and no season 16 doesn't count :mad:

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 8, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Where is Battletoads in your queue of episodes to translate, because Im heck of excite to see it.

Also Im sort of surprised that youre even allowed to keep fansubbing on the side, isnt that a tremendous conflict of interest for the company you are working for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Kleevah posted:

Came across this kind of randomly, but I thought some of you might enjoy it. It's a subbed episode of AMETALK about gundam featuring Arino and some other japanese comedians.

http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.com/2011/11/video-subbing-ametalk-gundam-comedians.html

Better late than never, but thanks for the link. I loved seeing 5 nerds go nuts over something while one man is utterly lost. That, and there were some great moments with Arino and the others. "Lalah!?" "Is that you, Captain!?" "I'm Arino." I lost it a couple times in that second half.

And thanks, Team, for the new episode!