Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ooh, HD Voice.

quote:

For the HTC EVO 4G LTE, HD Voice consists of one part common mode noise rejection using two microphones (something we've seen ship on high-end smartphones for a while now), and one part 1x-Advanced.

Part of the CDMA 1x-Advanced specification is inclusion of support for higher quality EVRC voice encoding.
The end result is double the frequency bandwidth for voice calls, and after Nyquist you get 50 Hz - 7 KHz of frequency response. That's still a ways away from the widely cited 20 KHz upper bound for human auditory perception, but dramatically better than the present 50 Hz to 4 KHz of frequency range. In fact, 7 KHz of bandwidth should be sufficient to replicate human voice completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

Ooh, HD Voice.

Which is cool of you're talking to someone else with HD Voice. It doesn't matter too much if you're talking to someone on the other end without these capabilities.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Don't forget land-lines!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

td4guy posted:

Don't forget land-lines!

Are they "HD?" I haven't used one in years, outside of terrible conference calls at work.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FogHelmut posted:

Are they "HD?" I haven't used one in years, outside of terrible conference calls at work.

Not even close. But they do have better call quality than a cell phone. Not sure if HD cell phones will improve calls to a land line though.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
The human voice does have energy up at 7k... Not a ton but sibilants (S sounds) and the like sound crisper and more natural if it's available.

I suspect this will only be on Sprint's network because the phone switchgear would have to accept a higher data rate or encoding. They all use some form of digital coding now but someone with more knowledge might know if the spec includes support for higher quality.

IIRC the coding isn't EVRC so the stream is transcoded anyway.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does Sprint somehow differentiate between their 4G Wimax and 4G LTE networks and phones? All I see on their website is "4G" and I don't know which 4G they're talking about. Is Wimax as awful as I hear it is? I'm in the Chicago area if anyone can chime in regarding their network quality and speed here.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does Sprint somehow differentiate between their 4G Wimax and 4G LTE networks and phones? All I see on their website is "4G" and I don't know which 4G they're talking about. Is Wimax as awful as I hear it is? I'm in the Chicago area if anyone can chime in regarding their network quality and speed here.

4G Wimax is like a crappy WiFi connection. When it does connect, it's good, but it goes in and out. Data drops when switching between 3G and 4G. 3G seems to be slower in areas where 4G Wimax is available, but that may just be because 4G is only in crowded cities where 3G is overloaded anyway. Even if the connection remained consistent, I find it ultimately useless due to lack of coverage. Anywhere I would want 4G, it's not available, and anywhere that it is available, better WiFi connections are common enough. And it devours battery, just being on and trying to maintain a connection.

I can't speak for Chicago, but this has been my experience around Philadelphia.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've worked in offices all over the loop, and in only two of them I've had 4g work. Two others don't even have working 3g, and i had to buy roam control and force my phone onto a Verizon tower. As for speed, here's two tests a month and a half apart in different parts of the same office: fast speeds are 4g, slow are 3g.

Honestly, with Google voice for sms, Verizon isn't much more than sprints eprp, and you get much better coverage and speeds. Sprint doesn't even have LTE yet, but will soon???

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Does Sprint somehow differentiate between their 4G Wimax and 4G LTE networks and phones?
At present, it seems that they're branding LTE as "4G LTE" and WiMAX as "4G". However, they've only announced two LTE devices (Galaxy Nexus and Evo One), and neither is available for preorder yet. I don't think any of their USB sticks or hotspots do LTE yet either.

So in short, the Galaxy Nexus and Evo One are LTE only devices, and won't support WiMAX. In contrast, any "4G" Sprint device you can actually purchase today supports WiMAX.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Is Wimax as awful as I hear it is? I'm in the Chicago area if anyone can chime in regarding their network quality and speed here.
I visit Chicago a few times a year and I've had pretty good success with Sprint's WiMAX service there. I've had reception wherever I've needed it, and it's always been "fast enough" for my purposes that speed wasn't a complaint. There was, however, one day on my last trip where the WiMAX network was partially down, that is, the phone would connect to the service just fine but traffic didn't go through.

So I don't know. Personally I think Chicago's WiMAX coverage is above par compared to other markets I've visited. But others complain that WiMAX isn't worth a drat there (or anywhere for that matter).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know how Flagstaff, AZ and Denver, CO coverage is?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I'm willing to overlook not having the fastest network in exchange for unlimited data. I'm in the car a lot for work so I don't have the luxury of using wifi, and I use a ton of data from music and video streaming. WiMax would meet my needs there, but those 3g speeds are terribly hilarious... I hope it's just downtown congestion, I never go downtown anyways. I'm way out in the burbs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
When my contract is up for renewal, and I get my discount, but instead buy a phone through Amazon wireless and re-up my contract that way, does that still use the discount I have sitting around?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

When my contract is up for renewal, and I get my discount, but instead buy a phone through Amazon wireless and re-up my contract that way, does that still use the discount I have sitting around?

Yes, it is using your new customer pricing discount. Keep in mind Amazon has you sign an extra contract, so if you cancel in 6 months you pay a fee to them. Otherwise, no big deal.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm willing to overlook not having the fastest network in exchange for unlimited data. I'm in the car a lot for work so I don't have the luxury of using wifi, and I use a ton of data from music and video streaming. WiMax would meet my needs there, but those 3g speeds are terribly hilarious... I hope it's just downtown congestion, I never go downtown anyways. I'm way out in the burbs.

I would bet that Chicago gets LTE in the next year, so honestly I would go with an LTE phone (that has *better hardware/software anyway) and be future proof.

*Excludes LG Viper of course, I wouldn't risk buying that phone.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So regarding number porting...

My contract with t-mobile ends 10/27. If I have 180 days left or less on my contract, the ETF is only 100 instead of 200. That means On May 1, I can cancel T-mobile service.

So my plan is:
-Get sprint galaxy nexus late April.
-Use my Google voice number on sprint plan. (90 percent of all phone calls).
-Keep t mobile service AND sprint service active until May 1.
-On May 1, tell sprint to get rid of my sprint-provided phone number and port my old t-mobile number.
-Once port complete, tell t-mobile thanks for the great times but I'm loving your friend now and you're just not that interesting and pay the ETF.

Is this the proper way to do it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

My contract with t-mobile ends 10/27. If I have 180 days left or less on my contract, the ETF is only 100 instead of 200. That means On May 1, I can cancel T-mobile service.

So my plan is:
-On May 1, tell sprint to get rid of my sprint-provided phone number and port my old t-mobile number.
-Once port complete, tell t-mobile thanks for the great times but I'm loving your friend now and you're just not that interesting and pay the ETF.

Yeah that is pretty much what you would do.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Read the last 2 pages dude. You held out this long, hold out till at least April 22nd and get the galaxy nexus.
One of my concerns with a new phone is price. With the discount, what the likely price for the Nexus? I didn't really want to spend $200 which is why I was hoping the new phone announcements might drop the price on the older phones. But yeah, looking into the Nexus now and it's tempting. I might end up getting it despite the price, I've never had a new phone at launch before and that might be kind of neat,

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quid posted:

One of my concerns with a new phone is price. With the discount, what the likely price for the Nexus? I didn't really want to spend $200 which is why I was hoping the new phone announcements might drop the price on the older phones. But yeah, looking into the Nexus now and it's tempting. I might end up getting it despite the price, I've never had a new phone at launch before and that might be kind of neat,

Nobody knows, but very likely $199. Sprint's been doing a good job on the customer end at keeping phones below $200. Sucks for me since commissions have been lowered (but seriously, larger volume makes up for it).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Quid posted:

How much are you spending on your phone plan over the two years of your contract? What's an extra $200 on top of that for a top of the line phone?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheReverend posted:

So my plan is:

Yes.

(I know this is an old ad, but it works in your situation too.)

Also, Duckman2008: Loving the NS4G, thanks again.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I am going to have to get off this Motorola i1, so I have been waiting for these new offerings to come up. I have to say though, I don't mind that my SERO is going to go up 20$ for sonething nicer. Is there anything even as remotely rugged out as a smartphone though? I just know I will destroy one of these pocket calculator sized units.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Also, Duckman2008: Loving the NS4G, thanks again.

I see my NS4G sure is getting around :allears:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Okay, my wife pretty much loving hates her Evo Shift now and complains about it every time she uses it. Her line is up in January, and I guess I can do the buyout thing to get her a different phone, but given how massive a fuckup the Shift's Gingerbread update was, do I have any room to negotiate here? We've already taken the phone in one for connectivity issues and all they did was update it some more. (And, to be fair, gave us a new battery)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does anyone know if you root the samsung nexus the NFC/google wallet stops working? Also what are the chances of the sprint samsung nexus being rooted on release day?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 7, 2012

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

brc64 posted:

Okay, my wife pretty much loving hates her Evo Shift now and complains about it every time she uses it. Her line is up in January, and I guess I can do the buyout thing to get her a different phone, but given how massive a fuckup the Shift's Gingerbread update was, do I have any room to negotiate here? We've already taken the phone in one for connectivity issues and all they did was update it some more. (And, to be fair, gave us a new battery)

If she is ok with the phone in general, you could root it and install a different custom ROM. It'll make it a lot better to use.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Honest and not comedy reply: If your SO hates their phone try the iPhone. I know it isn't geek cool to have a phone that doesn't have a billion options and custom ROMs n' poo poo but the iPhone just works. If she hates it you have a return window or you can always sell it for cash and pay the EFT and break even. You should at least try it once.*

Also for saving money the iPhone 4 is still a fine phone and will save you 100 bus.

*For 9/10 people this will be the last time you have to hear bitching about the phone. It won't lock up. It won't require random reboots. It won't require custom ROMs. Your SO can just hit Yes to update OTA and you can be 99% certain the update will work with no fuss and not brick the phone. You won't have to explain what all those permissions are when an app installs and the difference between them (or why a game shouldn't be asking for send SMS permissions).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Ender.uNF posted:

Honest and not comedy reply: If your SO hates their phone try the iPhone. I know it isn't geek cool to have a phone that doesn't have a billion options and custom ROMs n' poo poo but the iPhone just works. If she hates it you have a return window or you can always sell it for cash and pay the EFT and break even. You should at least try it once.*

Also for saving money the iPhone 4 is still a fine phone and will save you 100 bus.

*For 9/10 people this will be the last time you have to hear bitching about the phone. It won't lock up. It won't require random reboots. It won't require custom ROMs. Your SO can just hit Yes to update OTA and you can be 99% certain the update will work with no fuss and not brick the phone. You won't have to explain what all those permissions are when an app installs and the difference between them (or why a game shouldn't be asking for send SMS permissions).

I don't have any problem getting her an iPhone. That's probably what she'd end up switching to anyway. She has no issues with Android in general, and loved her phone when it was running Froyo, but the constant reloading of Rosie and other apps is driving her up a wall.

I'm not really looking for recommendations for a replacement, just curious if Sprint might work with us to get an earlier upgrade given how widespread the Evo Shift problems are. Is that something I'd need to call and talk to retentions about? Would they even care?

brc64 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 7, 2012

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Mark Larson posted:

If she is ok with the phone in general, you could root it and install a different custom ROM. It'll make it a lot better to use.

My wife has been having a lot of problems with her Evo Shift too. She constantly gets "Radio Interface Resource Shortage" errors that makes is so she can't call out or send texts. This has been a constant, daily issue for her for a couple of months.

Would rooting to a custom ROM fix this? And if so, what is generally accepted to be the best custom ROM for the Shift?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ender.uNF posted:

You won't have to explain what all those permissions are when an app installs and the difference between them (or why a game shouldn't be asking for send SMS permissions).
I agree that iOS wins on the "ease of use" front compared to Android, but I don't think that enabling ignorance of security and privacy implications is necessarily a win for the platform.

Yes, the iOS App Store is better vetted than the Android Market, but that doesn't preclude the ability for malware to slip in. Furthermore, Apple has gotten in hot water in the past for making things like in-app purchases "too simple" to use, although I suppose that's remedied now by requiring a password.

For the most part, the Android permission mechanism is quite good. Folks should be conscious of what software can do on their devices, particularly those that are Internet-enabled and store lots of private data.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

gwarm01 posted:

My wife has been having a lot of problems with her Evo Shift too. She constantly gets "Radio Interface Resource Shortage" errors that makes is so she can't call out or send texts. This has been a constant, daily issue for her for a couple of months.

Would rooting to a custom ROM fix this? And if so, what is generally accepted to be the best custom ROM for the Shift?

I'd try this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1150481

My gf is very happy with MikG on her EVO, much more than the stock rom.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I agree that iOS wins on the "ease of use" front compared to Android, but I don't think that enabling ignorance of security and privacy implications is necessarily a win for the platform.

Yes, the iOS App Store is better vetted than the Android Market, but that doesn't preclude the ability for malware to slip in. Furthermore, Apple has gotten in hot water in the past for making things like in-app purchases "too simple" to use, although I suppose that's remedied now by requiring a password.

For the most part, the Android permission mechanism is quite good. Folks should be conscious of what software can do on their devices, particularly those that are Internet-enabled and store lots of private data.

Again, her issues aren't related to ease of use, they're related to the Gingerbread update loving over the phone. I can go the root route on it, but I prefer to leave her phone alone because I don't want to have to deal with it if she ever does need to take it in for any reason. The iPhone wasn't an option when she got the Shift, so she'd probably prefer that anyway. I just don't want to have to pay $90 to replace a phone that shouldn't need replacing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'd also like to chime in on the Shift hate. The exchange rate in my service center is way higher than it should be, and a huge percentage of that is due to Shift touchscreens. The stupid things keep dying (especially a band near the top, right under the notification bar), and I haven't been able to get the parts in for months.

I really wish I could exchange them for something else right now.

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
Just a heads up to any Sprint users who spend any time in North OK/South KS: a lot of the towers are now non-sprint. Tell them you spend a lot of time around that area (Anthony, KS and south of there) and you're out of contract with no ETF. :science:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Ok, my bad. I didn't realize what you were asking.

Back when I was on Sprint originally (people think my number is a business land line), they would toss upgrades at me whenever I wanted and just credit my bill. I am guessing that sort of thing is not allowed anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Partycat posted:

I am going to have to get off this Motorola i1, so I have been waiting for these new offerings to come up. I have to say though, I don't mind that my SERO is going to go up 20$ for sonething nicer. Is there anything even as remotely rugged out as a smartphone though? I just know I will destroy one of these pocket calculator sized units.

Get the admiral, call into sprint and see if you qualify to get it for $0.99. Only reason you may not is because you have sero, but I would bet you qualify.

Skeezy posted:

I see my NS4G sure is getting around :allears:

Haha actually, that wasn't your nexus. I sold your nexus back in November when I got an arrive from a friend and used the money to get. Transformer (I just sold that for an iPad). I then won a nexus via a contest and sold it to mr universe, while swapping my evo 3D for another nexus which is my current phone.

brc64 posted:

Again, her issues aren't related to ease of use, they're related to the Gingerbread update loving over the phone. I can go the root route on it, but I prefer to leave her phone alone because I don't want to have to deal with it if she ever does need to take it in for any reason. The iPhone wasn't an option when she got the Shift, so she'd probably prefer that anyway. I just don't want to have to pay $90 to replace a phone that shouldn't need replacing.

Sorry but sprint is not going to give you a deal beyond what your contract buyout is. Your situation is lovely and I had the same issue with my fiancé, but there is no way for sprint to differentiate that to people who are just trying to get a cheap iPhone. And what sprint I'll tell you is what I would tell you: the evo shift buy back is $80, which is almost all of your buy out. But out the upgrade, trade her phone towards an iPhone and get yourself some peace :)

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 8, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Will the new LTE phones also work on WiMax? I think the answer is no but wanted to confirm that. Is there anyway to find out more information about the Sprint LTE rollout? I can't find anything on their website. I happen to live a block away in line-of-sight of a Wimax tower and I'm wondering if waiting specifically for an LTE phone is the better option.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No. There will never be a phone with both a WiMAX and an LTE chip in it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry but sprint is not going to give you a deal beyond what your contract buyout is. Your situation is lovely and I had the same issue with my fiancé, but there is no way for sprint to differentiate that to people who are just trying to get a cheap iPhone. And what sprint I'll tell you is what I would tell you: the evo shift buy back is $80, which is almost all of your buy out. But out the upgrade, trade her phone towards an iPhone and get yourself some peace :)

They actually did not tell us that. They tried to get us to open a new line of service. :suicide:

So, that's interesting. May do that, thanks! Can stores do contract buyouts? The guy we talked to acted like it wasn't something they could do...

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Only Retentions may offer contract buyouts.

edit: or cool Corporate stores too

td4guy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

They actually did not tell us that. They tried to get us to open a new line of service. :suicide:

So, that's interesting. May do that, thanks! Can stores do contract buyouts? The guy we talked to acted like it wasn't something they could do...

Yep, call retentions. And think of it this way, at least your phone still has value. I have a lot of poor bastards stuck on a blackberry curve where the contract buyout is $80 and the phone buyout is $5.