Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cream_Filling posted:

How are Logitech's drivers, btw? I remember SetPoint being a buggy piece of poo poo on Windows 7. I feel like driver support and quality as well as firmware programming is the key differentiator for mice, along with maybe number of buttons, since most mice use the same switches and physically most companies offer the same variety of shapes.
The UI could use a drastic overhaul because too many operations require twice as many clicks as they should, but in terms of both features and stability they're more than fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
My MX300 finally got the double-click/mouse button unreliability issues that doom most mice after awhile, I opened it up and checked out how the button on the switch actually carved a switch-shaped alcove in the plastic. Sad days.

That said I pulled out that G1 that I had as a backup (had to order one from Korea, hah) and it is all good. Looks and feels pretty much identical, just the different casing and coloring. The main thing is I have to re-accustom myself to the higher dpi sensor... if they still had the G1s available in the US I would totally get another backup, but they don't, so.

The MX300 was clearly out of warranty (over 6 years!) so I wound up with a 50% off coupon that I can use in the Logitech store. I'm kind of waffling between just hopping back on eBay and grabbing another G1 (20 bucks or so) and trying to see how new mice fit my hand. I did pick up a cheap M310 wireless about a month ago, which actually works rather nicely. I was eyeing the G300 and the Marathon mouse M705, the G400 looks nice as well. Any recommendations?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shogunner posted:

The cable kink is a huge problem. Happened in about 3 spots within six months on my G9. The G9x is pretty much the same mouse aesthetically so yea. The G9 laser also had a few issues like that, it was extremely jittery on all surfaces. I'd say open your world up to the mice that SteelSeries make. After trying out the Xai/Sensei, I don't think I'm going with any other peripheral companies when it comes to mice again.
The cable kink is so retarded. They put a braid around the cable but then used the most memory prone, brittle plastic under it. All compounded by the fact that they fold the cable in the packaging instead of rolling it, so chances are, it'll come to you pre-kinked.

Remit
Nov 9, 2007

nftyw posted:

I was eyeing the G300 and the Marathon mouse M705, the G400 looks nice as well. Any recommendations?

I just picked up the G400 and am loving it. I went with the G400 primarily for the scroll wheel. That new logitech freescroll wheel is a huge piece of poo poo if you ask me. The clicks aren't firm enough. The G400 wheel, although a little on the small side, has firm easily registered clicks. I use mwheel for bhopping and for weapon swaps, and it hasn't missed or phantom scrolled on me yet. Also, the 3 buttons in line with the mousewheel are in a great position for many many other uses (mumble ptt, etc)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

nftyw posted:

I was eyeing the G300 and the Marathon mouse M705, the G400 looks nice as well. Any recommendations?
All the older mice you listed as liking are on the smaller side (claw/finger grip), the G400 is on the bigger side (finger/palm grip), so while you may find yourself okay with the switch (I was), the other two are safer choices.

Unless you're left-handed (in which case it's G300 all the way), it mostly comes down to the features. The G300 has six buttons on top, the M705 has two thumb buttons (plus wheel tilts for another two), the hyperwheel and wireless. If you're unsure about your preferences I'd go with the M705, simply because I believe that everyone should give the hyperwheel a try, it's an incredible feature for day-to-day computer use.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've had a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse for four years or so, and the middle-click has been gradually getting less responsive in the past few days. Is mouse repair something I should even attempt to bother with, or is it time to trash it and get a new mouse?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I've had a Microsoft Sidewinder mouse for four years or so, and the middle-click has been gradually getting less responsive in the past few days. Is mouse repair something I should even attempt to bother with, or is it time to trash it and get a new mouse?
Your chances of success are slim, but if you've got an hour or two to spend and you have fun dismantling stuff (you're a nerd so you probably do), there's no reason not to go at it with a screwdriver and some rubbing alcohol, the worst thing that will happen is... you'll have to trash it and get a new mouse.

Unless you meant getting someone else to fix your mouse, in which case no, it's absolutely not worth considering.

Twamp
Oct 13, 2011

Remit posted:

.....That new logitech freescroll wheel is a huge piece of poo poo if you ask me. The clicks aren't firm enough.....

I havent used the G400, but i really really enjoy the wheel on the G500. The clicks are not TOO firm, but for me they seem just firm enough.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
What are my options for weighted mice? I know the G9x but im leary with all the cable issues ive heard. The R.A.T. 9 is an option but im afraid my son will lose a finger in the drat thing. Anything else?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
G500?

I messed around with the weights a bit before pitching the tray, not a fan.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I never used a mouse with variable weight until I got the G500, but I find I like adding three 4.5g weights to it, makes the back a little heavier.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There a proper replacement for this mouse yet?

Would be willing to spend over $100 no problem. All im asking is that i can have buttons on either side without risk of RSI.
Every new mouse i see has small buttons on the left which requires thumb knuckle to be at 90 degrees. With the intellipoint there is bascially no movement or bending of fingers required. Only index finger moving to/from scroll.

Nothing like it. (m1: fire, m2:zoom, m3(wheel):grenade, scroll:weapon select, left:activate, right:reload)

nimh fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 4, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Uh... I don't bend my thumb to use the three left side buttons on the G500. I just move it up from the thumb rest. No right side button though

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nimh posted:

Would be willing to spend over $100 no problem. All im asking is that i can have buttons on either side without risk of RSI.
Every new mouse i see has small buttons on the left which requires thumb knuckle to be at 90 degrees. With the intellipoint there is bascially no movement or bending of fingers required. Only index finger moving to/from scroll.

Nothing like it. (m1: fire, m2:zoom, m3(wheel):grenade, scroll:weapon select, left:activate, right:reload)

Most people hit those buttons with the side of the thumb. No bending necessary. And that's speaking even as someone with a super-long thumb.

I've heard the Steelseries Sensei/Xai is a close match for shape. Just set the two small side buttons to the same function and treat it like one big button.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nimh posted:

Zowie AM is kind of close, but I haven't bit that bullet yet. I'm in the same boat. I still use that mouse. The scroll wheel thing is the only annoyance that mouse has. It's otherwise perfect.

edit: Sensei is not close. Kinzu v2 is close but doesn't have the side buttons which makes it worthless. Kana is alright and a mouse I want to try. Just look up the dimensions for the IMO 1.1 / WMO 1.1 and compare it to current mice. I did it a little while ago. Nothing seemed to really stand out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 6, 2012

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

nimh posted:

Sensei.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

nimh posted:

There isn't one. Folks will say Sensei but its a much bigger, heavier, flatter mouse so it looks familiar but it feels very different to hold. The side buttons on 1.1 are huge and click really easy like you say, whereas the Sensei has tiny little side buttons (which are unusable on the pinky side without drastically changing your grip).

I still think 1.1 is the best mouse I've ever used and it doesn't really have a modern contemporary. I still have mine but the low DPI makes it hell to use on a modern Windows desktop at 1920x1080 or bigger. You end up running out of mousepad alot or you have to make huge sweeping strokes just to navigate around the screen (even with sensitivity maxed). I frequently use music production software where you have tonnes of windows spread out all over the screen and its painful flicking between them on the fly on a HD multi monitor setup.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
The side buttons can be mapped together so you can brutishly smash both buttons at once for the same function on either side. Also I don't see how the pink side is unusable at all.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I never quite understood the Intellimouse 1.1 love, but can't you just get another one? There's a few online shops that still sell them even here in Sweden, surely in the USA there's got to be a bunch of places to buy one.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

NihilCredo posted:

I never quite understood the Intellimouse 1.1 love, but can't you just get another one? There's a few online shops that still sell them even here in Sweden, surely in the USA there's got to be a bunch of places to buy one.

Second hand prices of 1.1s in the UK/Ireland are crazy - many are over £70.00 and its very difficult to find new (old) stock. Also its an old mouse from back in the day when people were using 800x600 CRTs so you didn't need huge DPI to move the mouse from one end of the screen to the other in Windows desktop environment. Now its common to have 1920x1080 flatscreens or even higher resolutions + multi monitor setups so moving the mouse across the screen in Windows takes like 2 swipes across a big rear end mousepad with Windows sensitivity on 11/11.

It would be nice if they reissued it with higher DPI since it was always old reliable.

A side note on the Sensei - the silver paint/finish has already started chipping off the sharp edges on mine. I found out the other day because the plastic underneath is translucent, so when you turn off the lights, you can see light shining through the gaps. Silver paint is the enemy of all consumer electronics. :argh:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
You don't have to press buttons with your fingertips, you know. The action for side buttons is more of a squeeze, using the side of the finger by the first knuckle.

But yeah, If I were to get one, I would get a Sensei Raw. The silver finish on the Sensei is quite good as far as silver painted plastic goes, but I'd rather have the simplicity of black plastic. Or else that special edition one because white and yellow looks pretty cool.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

WanderingKid posted:

Second hand prices of 1.1s in the UK/Ireland are crazy - many are over £70.00 and its very difficult to find new (old) stock.
:staredog:

Well if you're willing to navigate through some pages in Swedish, or just to send an email asking for assistance, these guys are selling the IM 1.1 for the equivalent of £27, so even if they ask for stupid shipping charges it should be an improvement.

For the low sensitivity issue, I'm sure there must be software ways to fix it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone know if there's been a successor to the Logitech V450 nano?

After 3-4 years it's finally crapping out on me.

I need a new small, accurate, cordless mouse.

Help! :shobon:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Anyone know if there's been a successor to the Logitech V450 nano?

After 3-4 years it's finally crapping out on me.

I need a new small, accurate, cordless mouse.

Help! :shobon:

Anywhere MX.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I posted this over in the short hardware questions thread and was directed here- did Logitech discontinue the MX 518? :ohdear:

Most comfortable mouse I ever used, I just got a new job and my boss was asking what kb&m I wanted. I went to go look up the price for one and I see they're no longer on NewEgg, and a god drat hundred dollars on Amazon.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Okay, I'm looking for a new mouse, since my Microsoft bluetooth mouse is starting to fade. I don't need 100 buttons, but an easy-to-press middle middle button is a must.

I'm looking for a wireless mouse. I only have 3 working USB ports, so Bluetooth is preferable, but if it is that much worse than RF then I guess I'd go with that.

Are there any BT mice that can be hooked up to the PC to recharge via cable while being used? My Intuos wireless can do that, and I think I'd like my mouse to do the same.

I really like my Magic Mouse at work, but I'm not a fan of the 3rd party software I have to use to enable middle-click. I also hear it has terrible Windows drivers.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

NihilCredo posted:

Anywhere MX.

Great Mouse. Good improvement over the VX Nano. Best part is the ease of turning it on and off when I'm walking around with it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I posted this over in the short hardware questions thread and was directed here- did Logitech discontinue the MX 518? :ohdear:

Most comfortable mouse I ever used, I just got a new job and my boss was asking what kb&m I wanted. I went to go look up the price for one and I see they're no longer on NewEgg, and a god drat hundred dollars on Amazon.

I saw your post there, it got replaced by the G400. I assume that because I needed a RMA for a MX510 (:corsair:) and they said they were out of 518s, so I got the G400.

Also because I'm a bastard and already did this over in the PC gaming thread, people with Logitech mice pre-2011 or so, if you hold it up to your ear, do you hear a high-pitched whine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It looks similar, but that still makes me super sad for some reason. Is that pathetic? Haha.

And if I do hear a high-pitched whining, what is that indicative of?

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
I think the G400 looks way better than the mx518. I just didn't understand why it looked like it was melting or something.

If you're talking about the electrical buzz you hear when you put your ear up to the mouse, that's apparently normal in a lot of Logitech mice.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

It's a bit of an engineering bug with a lot of Logitech mice. Apparently it's an oscillating ceramic cap in the circuit for the mouse wheel encoder that could be avoided by either using a tantalum cap or changing the polling frequency of the encoder. It doesn't mean that your mouse is dying or anything to worry about.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yep my G500 at home and my new one (like 6 weeks old) at work both do it. I can only hear it when I put my ear up to it, though. I think we had the discussion in this thread a while back, it was the first I'd heard of it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gristley Bear posted:

I think the G400 looks way better than the mx518. I just didn't understand why it looked like it was melting or something.

If you're talking about the electrical buzz you hear when you put your ear up to the mouse, that's apparently normal in a lot of Logitech mice.

Hey screw you, buddy, that reflex finish was the best. Especially in red or blue. It's good design because it's a shiny and metallic finish that also hides dirt and fingerprints pretty well, unlike a uniform shiny finish. Apparently the pattern on every mouse is unique because it's the result of a randomized magnetic field interacting with the metal flakes. It's super 90s but I like it anyway and I'm saddened that the G400 has a comparatively extremely ugly finish. I've become fond of the two buttons above and below the scroll wheel, which I've bound to the pgup and pgdown keys, with End on the little task key. I prefer it to that freewheeling thing logitech uses on its fancier mice.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Gristley Bear posted:

I agree. It's the kind of gaming mouse you can have that doesn't scream "I'm a turbo-nerd gaming mouse!" Stealth nerd poo poo, mayne.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rat 7 trip report: heavy, needs a Teflon foot nearer the back so you don't tilt it, buggy on my 10.7 mac.

Also the shape isn't great for my giant bear hands.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

evil_bunnY posted:

Rat 7 trip report: heavy, needs a Teflon foot nearer the back so you don't tilt it, buggy on my 10.7 mac.

Also the shape isn't great for my giant bear hands.

Since you have a rat and all, have you tried adjusting the shape?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I hate how the MX510 and equivalents have the logitech logo near the palm. I've had two and they've all worn off, making the mouse look really old and ugly.

Also, I was seriously considering the Sensei - I thought the shell was actual metal...

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Even at maximum extension my Rat 7 was still small and cramped but the weight was fine, sooo sad. :(

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

Great Mouse. Good improvement over the VX Nano. Best part is the ease of turning it on and off when I'm walking around with it.

The VX Nano is a bit crap, though.

The V450 Nano is still for sale, barely. I'm getting more of those. I doubt the Anywhere is better, because v450 is fantastic :>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Recently swapped from a MX518 that I've used for the past 5yrs probably, to a G500, only because I needed application specific bindings for the mouse buttons.

So far I am really liking the G500, the grip on it is nice with the texture and and the scroll wheel on it is way better than the MX518.