Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, so I guess I'll do Honest Hearts first, but it seems like my character really shouldn't have any motivation to do so since he's comfortably sitting on about 25k caps due to 10 luck stat.

I really wish there were more money sinks in this game at times like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Captain Walker posted:

Ultimate Guide to Fallout.

tl;dr--Speech and Lockpick, plus a weapon skill you like. Be nice, do many quests, always investigate the situation before drawing your gun, take everything that isn't nailed down.

Fallout 2 is to this day still my favorite game of all time, and I wasted so much time in college playing an outdated game (it was outdated when I was in college 10 years ago).

But I always loved this part of the game. I would honestly pick up and carry anything I found to the point where it was stupid. One of my favorite memories was when my college roommate wanted me to get this awesome gun and I was like, "drat! It's too heavy. I'll need to unload some stuff." We went through my inventory and he was like, "Why are you carrying 50 rocks?" I just looked at him like he was crazy. "For throwing at the children. For throwing...at the children."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Fist of the North Rawr is everything I never knew I wanted. I never want to stop going out of my mind on GRX and Psycho and ripping heads off.

I need to go find more Deathclaws to punch to death.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Giggily posted:

Okay, so I guess I'll do Honest Hearts first, but it seems like my character really shouldn't have any motivation to do so since he's comfortably sitting on about 25k caps due to 10 luck stat.

I really wish there were more money sinks in this game at times like this.

If you're approaching it from a roleplaying/character point of view and you're extremely comfortable financially, why not wait till you get into a shitload of trouble with one of the factions and then join the caravan in order to "get out of town and let things cool off for awhile"?

Sure they'll (probably the Legion) still hate you as much when you get back, but at least they don't hate you so much as to track you all the way to BoliviaZion.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I picked this game up again and I'm still on House wanting the Brotherhood dead. How can I get my favor up with them some more, I don't want Veronica to leave me. So far, I got Hardin elected as the Elder and became a paladin.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerusalem posted:

If you're approaching it from a roleplaying/character point of view and you're extremely comfortable financially, why not wait till you get into a shitload of trouble with one of the factions and then join the caravan in order to "get out of town and let things cool off for awhile"?

Sure they'll (probably the Legion) still hate you as much when you get back, but at least they don't hate you so much as to track you all the way to BoliviaZion.

I really wish I wasn't approaching it from a roleplaying standpoint, but for some reason I just can't really metagame in New Vegas like I can in Bethesda games. Somewhere in the back of my mind I always feel like a dirty cheater for bringing in foreknowledge, and to a lesser extent just going and doing something because I know it'll give me a good reward. At the same time whenever I play Morrowind I usually have a full suit of Ordinator armor and Daedric weapons.

I am a crazy person about Fallout I guess.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Giggily posted:

I really wish I wasn't approaching it from a roleplaying standpoint, but for some reason I just can't really metagame in New Vegas like I can in Bethesda games. Somewhere in the back of my mind I always feel like a dirty cheater for bringing in foreknowledge, and to a lesser extent just going and doing something because I know it'll give me a good reward. At the same time whenever I play Morrowind I usually have a full suit of Ordinator armor and Daedric weapons.

I am a crazy person about Fallout I guess.

Bethesda games are, at heart, more about sandbox than characters. I think that's the main difference.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I picked up fallout off gog, made it out of vault 13, ran into a bunch of mantis's on my way to vault 15, critically missed my punch which cost me a turn, get knocked off my feet by a mantis critical, and then get my poo poo stomped in by the other 5.

I want the next fallout game to be that mean right from the git go.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Fallout 2 is to this day still my favorite game of all time, and I wasted so much time in college playing an outdated game (it was outdated when I was in college 10 years ago).

But I always loved this part of the game. I would honestly pick up and carry anything I found to the point where it was stupid. One of my favorite memories was when my college roommate wanted me to get this awesome gun and I was like, "drat! It's too heavy. I'll need to unload some stuff." We went through my inventory and he was like, "Why are you carrying 50 rocks?" I just looked at him like he was crazy. "For throwing at the children. For throwing...at the children."

My friend and I used (location spoilers?) Vault 13 as a storage place. We had so many jimmy caps.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

thehumandignity posted:

Why would you think that?

I actually don't remember. I've been playing the same save for a full year now on and off but I definitely remember hearing that somewhere.

Might be a Joshua Graham quote?

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 6, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Does Arcade completely leave you once you do his quest? I wanted to pal around together with out Enclave Power armor, shooting fiends in the face with overpowered energy weapons.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lord Lambeth posted:

Does Arcade completely leave you once you do his quest? I wanted to pal around together with out Enclave Power armor, shooting fiends in the face with overpowered energy weapons.

He does not. Depending on what you tell him he may or may not be available for the final quest though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Thanks for the heads up on the free GoG Fallout link, dudes. God, between this, Planescape and KOTOR2 I feel like I'm turning into some kind of PC gamer :ohdear:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Well attempt two at fallout had me finding two rad scorpions before I even made it to vault 15. They promptly killed me. I didn't even make it to vault 15 this time.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

He does not. Depending on what you tell him he may or may not be available for the final quest though.

I told him to fight with the remnants, where did he run off to?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Fibby Boy posted:

Well attempt two at fallout had me finding two rad scorpions before I even made it to vault 15. They promptly killed me. I didn't even make it to vault 15 this time.

You can actually outrun poo poo in Fallout you know, you're really not supposed to fight everything

IIRC there's a few ways to get an SMG almost instantly, which helps a lot for encounters where you really do get cornered. Isn't there one in that panel right outside the vault or something?

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 6, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

You can actually outrun poo poo in Fallout you know, you're really not supposed to fight everything

:aaaaa: You have got to be kidding me.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Having been chased clear to Vegas by radscorpions in FONV, it does merit pointing out

Also bumping up Outdoorsman and (I think, maybe) Perception will drop you a little further away from gribblies in random encounters. To better run away.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 6, 2012

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Defiance Industries posted:

Yes he does. If you tell him to fight, he'll be hanging around at the battle. If you tell him to go back to Freeside, I guess he goes back but he won't be recruitable again. At least, he's not supposed to be, people have reported getting him to glitch somehow and end up back at the 38, but he won't get an ending slide that way.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Giggily posted:

How the gently caress did he know that I was picking up those star bottle caps?

:tinfoil:

Haha, that guy broke my immersion so hard when I first met him.

I just arrived in Nipton, murder and desolation everywhere, I barely finished speaking with the Legion guy when that old guy comes to me and tells me about his bottle caps.

"Man, you're standing in the middle of destroyed town, the legion is still here and they murdered everybody,surely those bottle caps can't be that important."

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Is there a character guide or something for fallout? I'm pretty goddamn tired of dying to a radscorpion or a pack of mantis's before making it to vault 15.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Walker posted:

Ultimate Guide to Fallout.

tl;dr--Speech and Lockpick, plus a weapon skill you like. Be nice, do many quests, always investigate the situation before drawing your gun, take everything that isn't nailed down.

e: oh, and Charisma is useless even though Speech isn't. Dump it and put the points in Intelligence.

empty quote for person above me

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
On top of that, run away from random encounters you're not confident you can win. In fact, you can run away from most random encounters, often the loot/XP you'd get wouldn't be that good anyways.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Police Automaton posted:

On top of that, run away from random encounters you're not confident you can win. In fact, you can run away from most random encounters, often the loot/XP you'd get wouldn't be that good anyways.

I've tried running away but every time I turn my back I get knocked over and stabbed to death.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Fibby Boy posted:

Is there a character guide or something for fallout? I'm pretty goddamn tired of dying to a radscorpion or a pack of mantis's before making it to vault 15.

What are your stats and what did you tag?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kurtofan posted:

Haha, that guy broke my immersion so hard when I first met him.
The best I had was immediately following the end of Come Fly With Me. Dude appeared behind me in the control room right after launch. He's a determined man.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
For me it was inside the building connected to that quest, I almost shot him. Well I guess at least he wasn't naked like the skyrim couriers.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm pretty sure I was near sloan lining up a young deathclaw when he ran up. It's already hard enough to line up a sniper rifle with lovely gun skill, you're making a lot harder bottle cap guy. And why didn't the old man stop you too? :colbert:

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

rope kid posted:

The best I had was immediately following the end of Come Fly With Me. Dude appeared behind me in the control room right after launch. He's a determined man.

My favorite was him coming into the deathclaw cave with me the first time I discovered it at like level 4. I was trying to sneak and then he starts speaking at full volume to me about bottle caps. It was really rude.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I was sleeping in the rusty camper trailer by Goodsprings Source and he showed up when I woke up. I guess he waited all night to talk to me. Creepy bastard.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Tag at least one weapon skill. Small Guns is probably your best bet because Big Guns and Energy Weapons are late-game skills so you should not tag them but should dump one or two points in every level. Charisma is pretty useless, although its derived skills (barter and speech) are among the most useful. Speech especially. Agility is pretty awesome because of what it means for action points. Trait-wise, Gifted is good, but not as good as it first looks. Small Frame is good but you can't be a hoarder.

In combat, if you have spare action points, use them to move. Supposedly the penalty on a to-hit roll against you when you move is way higher than the armor bonus you get for unused points. Don't grind for experience. You don't need to and it'll get you killed. Quests are way better for gaining XP. Run away whenever things get too hectic. If you have a high Agility, you will generally make it to the exit grid before your enemies kill you.

And... that's it really. Oh, and combat's way less tedious if you turn combat speed up to max.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Giggily posted:

I have never ever had this problem before, on account of being an ammo addict. I buy every piece of ammo except maybe mini-nukes and rockets every time I'm at a vendor. Luckily I don't play hardcore or my inventory right now would probably be near 5000 pounds.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I was sleeping in the rusty camper trailer by Goodsprings Source and he showed up when I woke up. I guess he waited all night to talk to me. Creepy bastard.

This very same thing happened to me on the road just outside of Primm, except he managed to step on a landmine I hadn't spotted on the way out and casually limped away. Have to wonder if it was worth it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Anyone who doesn't kill that guy I just don't know what to tell you. He's even lying to you about still collecting them, he has like eight on him. That, and his gear is a nice +10 Barter for various skill checks early on.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Francois Kofko posted:

I have never ever had this problem before, on account of being an ammo addict. I buy every piece of ammo except maybe mini-nukes and rockets every time I'm at a vendor. Luckily I don't play hardcore or my inventory right now would probably be near 5000 pounds.

Pretty sure I bought every single .308 round in the entire Mojave my first playthrough.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

gohuskies posted:

Pretty sure I bought every single .308 round in the entire Mojave my first playthrough.

Every time I play, I think to myself "Okay, I'm playing a melee dude this time, I don't need all these 12ga Flechettes". Every time I buy them all anyway.

There's gotta be some sort of 12-step program for this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyone who doesn't kill that guy I just don't know what to tell you. He's even lying to you about still collecting them, he has like eight on him. That, and his gear is a nice +10 Barter for various skill checks early on.
I laughed so hard when I murdered the guy for the first time and figured that out. It makes the whole encounter make so much more sense. "Uh, yeah, stop collecting those caps, ridiculously dangerous. Gave it up years ago myself, uh-huh. No, no, just leave it right there easily accessible on that rock, it'll be fine."

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Erm, on steam the Ultimate Edition is £29.99- does the come with all the DLC because the mission based DLC on its own comes to £29.96 so if I get a giftable game out of the Ultimate Edition may as well get that right?

Or is the real answer just wait for it all to go on sale?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Fist of the North Rawr is everything I never knew I wanted. I never want to stop going out of my mind on GRX and Psycho and ripping heads off.

I need to go find more Deathclaws to punch to death.

I played Lonesome Road before Dead Money, had the claw in my inventory still because it wasn't a weapon, but a misc item, crafted into the FONR, and ripped all of the ghost people to shreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Just finished OWB and wow that is probably the best DLC I've played in recent memory.