Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Aziraphale posted:

These albums are loving amazing. I wonder though if iTunes hosed something up because all the songs on Battles in the North end abruptly like the tracks are cut off. Is this album supposed to be like this?

I have it on vinyl and it does the exact same thing. It's really jarring, but intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

unsilent storms in the north abyyy-

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
abyssos rules

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ATHOW is easily one of the greatest metal albums ever made, Immortal knocked it out the loving park with that.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

RHTITE posted:

No because fuckin EVERYONE got a stiffy listening to ATHOW. It's legit a great album. If they hadn't done that album, I get the feeling Demonaz would have likely written a full on Death Metal record after Blizzard Beasts. Who knows where it could have went. Enslaved had a pretty cool process of selling out too (I don't use this term to slag them, it's just the easiest way to explain it). Frost comes out as a perfectly good evolution following the debut, then Eld falls off a cliff, to be followed by the streamlined speed metal of Blodhemn. They realized that they couldn't follow that in their old style without falling completely to pieces so they switched it up to a more spacy rock thing and released an ok album in Mardraum.

If Demonaz' solo album is any indication they would have gone in a direction nobody would have given a poo poo about.

My bad I thought you were saying the current immortal sound was bad :)

Enslaved...I don't know what it is about them, no matter what their sound, they've never really done it for me. I like Below the Lights but that's really it for me. I don't understand the Isa and Ruun worship but a buddy of mine busts a nut over anything they've ever done. I think it might be the long, rolling song structure that turns me off. It takes them forever to go anywhere in a song.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
They also can't help buy make almost unbearably happy Metal. They tempered that in the old days with heavy distortion and some fairly evil sounding lead guitar work, but you can tell that those guys never really hated anything, which can make for a tricky balancing act in Black Metal. Although they were very good Black Metal composers, you can tell that their personalities are more aligned with the stuff they do nowadays.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

It's probably hard for a guy with such a mean stage dance to be seriously pissed off :)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Ivar Bjørnson is really loving nice.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I don't think I'm going to get chastised for this, but I'm going to post a few bands that aren't necessarily black metal, but are either heavily influenced by it or I've stumbled on them through associations with black metal acts and they're way too dark or weird for other categories they might be better put in.

Ludicra - Ludicra's first album was a lot more black metal-ey than what they winded up doing on their last album, but the two female vocalists, John Cobbett's crusty shredding and Aesop Dekker's drum work are loving killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmRTiYd32JI

Locrian I don't remember how i found these guys but they put out some unsettling and beautiful drone stuff with a bit of black metal elements here and there. If you like the dark ambient atmosphere and sound you might dig these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrqiPTKMnM

Master Musicians of Bukkake This one's a stretch for sure, but they're so loving strange that I had to share. These guys opened for WITTR in San Francisco recently and I think that's how I found out about them. They're apparently a pet project of producer Randall Dunn and features members from Earth. This is really bizarre middle eastern tinged psychrock stuff, but they played an in-store show at LA's Vacation Vinyl that was really cool. Barely on the black metal radar, but I think it's interesting to see the different genres black metal has opened me up to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OICDx2BeTw

Anyone else found weird poo poo through links like that?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
For those who enjoyed Wildernessking who I posted about a while ago, they've got a new single coming soon (along with album art by a buddy of mine).

Apparently it's set to be released later this month. I got a sneak preview the other day and it's sounding a lot like Wolves' production-wise. It was at a noisy bar so I couldn't hear too much, but I am excited nonetheless!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Until recently, probably the only major exports from Singapore I have appreciated have been superior electronic components. However, Impiety's Ravage & Conquer may have just changed things. A great majority may write them off as simply blackened/death Behemoth-esque worship. Nothing ground breaking or original, but good stuff never the less. Seems that they really don't trust the various teachings of this Jesus fellow either.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Radio Paranoia posted:

You'd have to get up pretty early in the morning to make a less black metal black metal album cover

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Until recently, probably the only major exports from Singapore I have appreciated have been superior electronic components. However, Impiety's Ravage & Conquer may have just changed things. A great majority may write them off as simply blackened/death Behemoth-esque worship. Nothing ground breaking or original, but good stuff never the less. Seems that they really don't trust the various teachings of this Jesus fellow either.

Paramount Evil rules. Get it.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

You'd have to get up pretty early in the morning to make a less black metal black metal album cover

Blame Alcest.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Radio Paranoia posted:

Blame Alcest.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Alcest show is coming up here in Scottsdale. Anyone itt in the area and planning on going?
It's at a bar I work at so I will probably be there anyway, but I was never a huge fan of that whole movement in black metal and I find a lot of Alcest/wittr fans (around here anyway) to be touristy with regards to metal.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Bubble Bathory posted:

Alcest show is coming up here in Scottsdale. Anyone itt in the area and planning on going?
It's at a bar I work at so I will probably be there anyway, but I was never a huge fan of that whole movement in black metal and I find a lot of Alcest/wittr fans (around here anyway) to be touristy with regards to metal.

You work at the Rogue? I go there sometimes. Interesting. I might be going but I might just stay home and save money for Watain and Behemoth when they come.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

If any if you are going to either the LA or SF Alcest shows and want to kick it, hit me up.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Alcest was OK on this tour but Deafheaven, holy poo poo. If you get a chance to go, make sure you see them.

VIRGIN HEAT
May 1, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I saw them last night with Absu in Manchester, UK. Excellent stuff. Don't see them if you have a dodgy gut like me mind, uuugh.

(Absu were fab too)

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Funeral Mist posted:

You work at the Rogue? I go there sometimes. Interesting. I might be going but I might just stay home and save money for Watain and Behemoth when they come.

To whom it may concern, Watain are missing like the first 4 dates of this tour due to visa issues. They joining the tour in Lawrence, Kansas.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Burzum has another loving album coming out? May apparently, called Umskiptar. Anyone hear it yet? I'm looking around for a listen right now.

Fallen wasn't stellar but it still beat the poo poo out of the emo crap going around these days

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Burzum has another loving album coming out? May apparently, called Umskiptar. Anyone hear it yet? I'm looking around for a listen right now.

Fallen wasn't stellar but it still beat the poo poo out of the emo crap going around these days

Apparently he's going back to his Hvis Lyset/Det Som Engang sound.

...well, according to him.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

QPZIL posted:

Apparently he's going back to his Hvis Lyset/Det Som Engang sound.

...well, according to him.

The cool parts of those albums or the weird radioshack keyboard crap?

edit: There's a new Naglfar out too. Giving it a listen now. Nothing revolutionary but it's entertaining so far. Fills the "I'm bored with all my stuff" void I've got. Some good old grim scandinavian melody going on. Slow tempo starting off but it's definitely Naglfar.

edit edit: He lied. Same sound as the last two. Hell the second song is a dead ringer for one on Belus, and one I liked too. Promising but I'm disappointed how similar it is to the other post-prison albums.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 11, 2012

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

deathmetal.org posted:

That cuts to the real problem with this album and all post-jail Burzum: they’re boring. Not unmusical, but sparse in density with songs obviously patched-together “to be a song” and not to have any voice of its own.

Probably the best way to look at the post prison albums. Also, Tomhet is a pretty incredible song, even if Varg chose a silly way of delivering it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

That's a good way of putting this. Having heard 3 of these now, it seems like he wrote a lot of musical bits and pieces during or after prison and he's been dipping into them each time he records poo poo. I really liked Belus but I'd at LEAST like his guitar tone to get closer to his pre-prison sound. The new sound just isn't really dirty sounding.

All the way through it once, I like it better than Fallen but Belus is definitely more interesting.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
He can't really go back to sounding like the old Burzum records. His production has to support triple guitar tracks now. Plus he's into doing folk/rock now so the production would just sound absurd.

You know, since he's obviously desperate for cash (greatest hits album), he should just properly re-record Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskalf. It would be devoid of any of that old improvisational, confrontational spirit, but the music would probably carry the albums to a point of being at least worthwhile.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

That could be cool, doing those over. He's either got a decent keyboard now, or an actual piano, so re-doing all those kind of songs would sound better too. I don't mind the new direction I just wish he could do some more varied writing. He's kinda put the same album out 3 times now. :(

In better news: The new Aura Noir is loving AWESOME.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

This is all there is to say on the matter:

My girlfriend gave it a spin and said it's pretty unremarkable. Apparently Varg has discovered palm muting.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Pitchfork is streaming a new Atriarch track off of their forthcoming split with Alaric. This poo poo kills.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13432-offerings/

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Just go listen to the Aportian Demon album instead of maligning modern Burzum.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 11, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

The Clit Avoider posted:

Other than wishing the vocals were a little more varg-like/"whispered", this is loving good. Makes me wish it was snowing out. I love the dissonance and resolution.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

The Clit Avoider posted:

Yeah this band rules. But what rules more is what the label had to say about it

Label posted:

For those unaware of what Aptorian Demon is, Ghash the main individual behind, is the original Keep of Kallesin singer/guitarist from the demo and 2 first albums which later the rest members stole the name and continued their own gay path. This is how KOK would have sounded today in their original form

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Label posted:

For those unaware of what Aptorian Demon is, Ghash the main individual behind, is the original Keep of Kallesin singer/guitarist from the demo and 2 first albums which later the rest members stole the name and continued their own gay path. This is how KOK would have sounded today in their original form

I went and looked it up to see if you were making GBS threads me. It's real and it owns.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

The Clit Avoider posted:

loving bands stop artificially inflating your songs just because you want a song longer than 10 minutes. Your riffs can't hold against that much repetition and your acoustic/atmospheric/whatever interludes just destroy any momentum you might have created.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I got my first taste of black metal from this thread, and it's a welcome diversion from my traditional melodeath trappings! Immortal is probably the best black metal out there and I've only just begun to segue into this sub genre of metal.

My next album purchases will be two from Drudkh, but I'm not sure which ones I should get. I like the atmosphere of the entire Autumn Aurora album so I'd like that to be my first one.

With that, I can either get Forgotten Lands or Swan Road. Forgotten Lands sounds to be the same as Autum Aurora which is good, but Swan Road is supposed to be some sort of departure from the first two. What is the general consensus on the latter albums? Which two are the better ones?

EDIT: Is Call of the Wintermoon required viewing for this thread?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 13, 2012

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Yes it is. Also Diaboical Fullmoon Mysticism is not an album you should just skip over, although it generally doesn't receive the praise of the later Immortal stuff.

Also I think new Burzum would be so much better if Varg could shriek like he used to. Even 20 years later I don't think there has been better black metal vocals then the first few Burzum albums.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Aziraphale posted:

My next album purchases will be two from Drudkh, but I'm not sure which ones I should get. I like the atmosphere of the entire Autumn Aurora album so I'd like that to be my first one.

With that, I can either get Forgotten Lands or Swan Road. Forgotten Lands sounds to be the same as Autum Aurora which is good, but Swan Road is supposed to be some sort of departure from the first two. What is the general consensus on the latter albums? Which two are the better ones?

Can you get Blood in our Wells? That's my favorite album by them because of the song "Furrows of Gods" which just kicks all kinds of rear end - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzTHCRmyKs

But really you can't go wrong with any Drood-kuh album.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

QPZIL posted:

Can you get Blood in our Wells? That's my favorite album by them because of the song "Furrows of Gods" which just kicks all kinds of rear end - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzTHCRmyKs

But really you can't go wrong with any Drood-kuh album.

Bought Autumn Aurora and Blood in our Wells :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Vintersorg posted:

Avsky is just straight up hatred, I loving love it. As long as you don't mind the NS undertones, check out M8L8TH too.

'Undertones' is underselling it a bit to be honest. I just listened to M8L8TH - Beyond the Twilights and it opens with something that sounds very like a Hitler speech and the lyrics go on about Aryan pride, that's pretty loving blatant.

It's also depressing because the actual music itself is loving good.

Is there anything out there that's similar but not so blatant about shoving Hitler down the listener's throat?

And what's with black metal and fascism anyway? Are there no black-metal commies in the world?