Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Carl Seitan posted:

I am a huge fan of DF and really like the songs I heard off the new ablum, especially this one. I think Marc Hudson was a great replacement for ZP Theart and like his vocals as much as I ever liked ZP.

I agree. Marc's vocals fit in perfectly. I've followed DF since way back in the dark annals of MP3.com, when they were Dragonheart. They're one of my favorites and really are just a fun band. As much of a gimmick band as they may be, they do have an ear for songwriting and musicianship, which is one of the things I appreciate about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

co199 posted:

I agree. Marc's vocals fit in perfectly. I've followed DF since way back in the dark annals of MP3.com, when they were Dragonheart. They're one of my favorites and really are just a fun band. As much of a gimmick band as they may be, they do have an ear for songwriting and musicianship, which is one of the things I appreciate about them.

Hell yeah mp3.com

But yeah that's one thing I don't get at all - are they holding onto this gimmick thing for fear of losing fans? The fact is they are talented, and they do have songwriting ability. I wonder what would happen if they just said "alright let's stop being so gimmicky and just write quality power metal."

I wonder if they actually would lose fans.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hell yeah mp3.com

This is how I found out about Aeon when they first released their "Dark Order" EP. Because of that mp3.com will always have a special place in my heart.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

co199 posted:

For those of us with terrible taste, DragonForce's new album leaked and they released the first video from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4GXgaCFTI
Oh wow, DragonForce actually made a song with this low a tempo? And it sounds pretty good to boot, go figure.

I always found DragonForce a fun band to listen to in small doses for shits and giggles, especially the most gratuitously overblown fast songs. Too many songs in a row would make my brain hurt though. Gonna have to check the new album out, I just hope they haven't abandoned their warpspeed ways completely.

And on the topic of cheesy overblown power metal, it seems Pathfinder have released a song from their upcoming second album on Youtube. Sounds pretty good as well, in that certain "what the gently caress is wrong with me and why am I listening to this and grinning like an idiot?" kind of way.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Nordick posted:

Oh wow, DragonForce actually made a song with this low a tempo? And it sounds pretty good to boot, go figure.

I always found DragonForce a fun band to listen to in small doses for shits and giggles, especially the most gratuitously overblown fast songs. Too many songs in a row would make my brain hurt though. Gonna have to check the new album out, I just hope they haven't abandoned their warpspeed ways completely.

They haven't abandoned it completely. Much like their other albums, there's still the warp-speed video game, phaser laden solos from Herman and Sam. It's not bad at all, really. They've matured as musicians, I think. It's still cheesy as gently caress, but the time they took to work on the album really shows, as I think this is their best offering since their debut (which is my favorite).

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Nordick posted:

And on the topic of cheesy overblown power metal, it seems Pathfinder have released a song from their upcoming second album on Youtube. Sounds pretty good as well, in that certain "what the gently caress is wrong with me and why am I listening to this and grinning like an idiot?" kind of way.

DragonForce is my favorite band, hands down. And I found this Pathfinder song to be so frantic and all over the place that I had to stop it half way through.

I think it was mostly the vocals that did it in for me though. Mostly due to the fact that in about 5 seconds, the vocals went from melodic singing, to death metal growl, to some soprano singing something I couldn't understand.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

co199 posted:

They haven't abandoned it completely. Much like their other albums, there's still the warp-speed video game, phaser laden solos from Herman and Sam. It's not bad at all, really. They've matured as musicians, I think. It's still cheesy as gently caress, but the time they took to work on the album really shows, as I think this is their best offering since their debut (which is my favorite).
Okay, that sounds promising, thanks for the reassurance.

I saw Dragonforce live once, actually, in 2007. They were on the Black Crusade tour, which I went to see mostly for Arch Enemy and partly DF. They were hilarious, kept joking and loving around, guitarists kicking eachother on the rear end mid-solo, and the keyboardist nearly tipped his kit over several times. It was pretty evident they don't take themselves too seriously in the least.
But the highlight of the set was this:
The band is playing some song, nfi which it was. Then, they do this "the band pauses playing and the singer points the mic at the audience to have them sing a line" thing that bands often do. But they do it at such a random and abrupt moment that absolutely no one sees it coming, and I have never heard as deep a silence as that. Vocalist says "Ahhh, confusion!" with a poo poo-eating grin. Then he turns to the band and goes like "Should we finish the song or just skip ahead to the next one?" And the guitarist answers "Does it matter? It all sounds the same anyway."
I have never laughed so much or so hard at any gig.

EDIT:

Carl Seitan posted:

And I found this Pathfinder song to be so frantic and all over the place that I had to stop it half way through.

I think it was mostly the vocals that did it in for me though. Mostly due to the fact that in about 5 seconds, the vocals went from melodic singing, to death metal growl, to some soprano singing something I couldn't understand.
Them being so frantic and all over the place and enormously overblownly melodramatic is exactly why I find them so hilariously fun to listen to. As far as I'm concerned, if you're doing cheesy dramatic power metal, you might as well co completely balls-out over the top.
Also, they don't do that vocal switcheroo thing a whole lot. I think they have that growling stuff on like one other song. I don't mind it, it's just a nice addition to the barely contained chaos.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 6, 2012

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nordick posted:

Them being so frantic and all over the place and enormously overblownly melodramatic is exactly why I find them so hilariously fun to listen to.

This is exactly why I still listen to them now and then. I get a little tired of the OMGFASTER guitar solos but onstage they're (or were, at least) energetic and amusing and clearly having a fun time.

I could be mistaken but I think the time I caught them the keyboardist was having issues so we got an interlude of Herman and Sam loving around with the audience while Vadim noodled furiously on the keyboards till he was satisfied it was fixed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, with the exception of the over-abundance of 14 year olds, Dragonforce was actually really fun to see live. They were running all around the place, through the crowd, and jumping up on the bar to shred a 27-minute solo.

They even had beer-holders set up on the mic stands stocked with Coronas. With straws in them :rant:

Also, they were loud as gently caress. It was the one single show that convinced me to purchase quality earplugs and always wear them to future shows. My ears were ringing for 3-4 days afterward.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah, I may have been the oldest person at that show who hadn't brought a kid.

Y'all laugh if you want but windows down on the highway and blasting Primal Fear is the best.

Edit: let's add Heathen to that statement too just because.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 6, 2012

Millertime
Jul 5, 2007

the yeti posted:

Yeah, I may have been the oldest person at that show who hadn't brought a kid.

Y'all laugh if you want but windows down on the highway and blasting Primal Fear is the best.

Edit: let's add Heathen to that statement too just because.
You just described my commute home from work. And to work. And anywhere else. Primal fear, windows down, no fucks given.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm looking for some industrial / thrash metal with clean vocals.

Any recommendations? I like Fear Factory, Annihilator, Sabaton, old Metallica, and Maiden to name a few.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Deakul posted:

Any recommendations? I like Fear Factory, Annihilator, Sabaton, old Metallica, and Maiden to name a few.

I'll go ahead and say Heathen since I'm listening to them right now. I think Warbringer's vocals are clean-ish too.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Deakul posted:

Mantic Ritual!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah I hate to admit it but the new dragonforce album is almost actually-good rather than just comedy-cheesy-good.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Deakul posted:

Slayer - Show No Mercy

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Okay so bear with me - listening to a bunch of entombed and carcass and poo poo lately, driving home today the idea of death metal surf rock occurred to me, but then I figured someone out there has done it and I need to know what it sounds like. Any particular bands/albums come to mind?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nuncle jimbo posted:

Okay so bear with me - listening to a bunch of entombed and carcass and poo poo lately, driving home today the idea of death metal surf rock occurred to me, but then I figured someone out there has done it and I need to know what it sounds like. Any particular bands/albums come to mind?

The Emperors - I Am The Surf Wizards
The Mayhems - Surfin' Moon
The Darkthrones - California Hunger

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

nuncle jimbo posted:

What QPZIL posted above, and on a sort of similar note (not death metal either, but kinda psychedelic surf black metal/jazz fusion weirdness), you might like Oranssi Pazuzu.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Scion fest is coming to Florida. June 2nd, Tampa.

Bands not announced yet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

thepitgoddess posted:

Scion fest is coming to Florida. June 2nd, Tampa.

Bands not announced yet.

:woop::woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

Closer to NC than Texas this year!

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008

These are absolutely amazing, thanks for this.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Deakul posted:

It's not exactly clean vocals, more shouty really, but one pretty well known thrash band that toyed with an industrial sound for a while is Kreator. Personally, I only like a few albums from them (coma of souls and some songs from the two newest ones) but it's worth taking the time to hear some of their stuff from their different periods.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Just found this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469297

Which is ok, but has led me to the :nws:GREATEST BLACK METAL VIDEO EVER!!!.:nws:

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 7, 2012

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Listen to Trollkotze every day! Lego Kvlt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqXcZAAYbms

1:09 for the best drum fill of all time.

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday
I'm going to Bolt Thrower's 25th birthday party tonight. The lineup is pretty good.......

Vallenfyre
Benediction
Discharge
Autopsy
Bolt Thrower

No words exist to describe how goddamn excited I am for it :)

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
I saw Cannibal Corpse and Exhumed on Thursday night, and can finally say that I have heard the phrase "this is about shooting blood from your cock" in person.

Duncan Doenitz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 7, 2012

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Gorilla Radio posted:

Which is ok, but has led me to the :nws:GREATEST BLACK METAL VIDEO EVER!!!.:nws:

The Satan of Hell is even better if only to see them prancing about in the snow, often face first. I'm sure they'd get tiring after a while but as long as they keep on doing videos the way they're doing I'll always find it...uh, awesome.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This actually sounds like it would have been completely at home on Ghoul's Splatterthrash

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Not Very Metal posted:

Mantic Ritual!

the yeti posted:

I'll go ahead and say Heathen since I'm listening to them right now. I think Warbringer's vocals are clean-ish too.

Both of these are pretty loving sweet.
Got any more?

beaverseatwood
Apr 4, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stoo posted:

I'm going to Bolt Thrower's 25th birthday party tonight. The lineup is pretty good.......

Vallenfyre
Benediction
Discharge
Autopsy
Bolt Thrower

No words exist to describe how goddamn excited I am for it :)

Wait that's the UK dbeat originator Discharge right? If so I've seen few times at festivals here in USA and they still rip. Even though they have rat from varukers on vocals, still sounds great

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

RHTITE posted:

Slayer - Show No Mercy

The best Slayer album.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
360° panorama of Devin Townsend in the studio:
http://360.io/2Ayuzx

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

Milking The Goatmachine - Surf Goataragua

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Agalloch was great last night! They also seemed to be really just nice and cool guys in general, which was completely not what I was expecting based on things I've read about them (mostly in this thread) being obnoxiously pretentious and kind of being dicks. They came out and shook hands with everyone in the front row after the show, Haughm said some nice things and I even saw Aesop smile which was weird since he mostly looks like hes going to murder his drumkit.

Actually changed my perception of the band quite a bit.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: If Midnight comes through your locale, missing them is heresy of the highest order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-uh_-kQWnA

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Agalloch was great last night! They also seemed to be really just nice and cool guys in general, which was completely not what I was expecting based on things I've read about them (mostly in this thread) being obnoxiously pretentious and kind of being dicks. They came out and shook hands with everyone in the front row after the show, Haughm said some nice things and I even saw Aesop smile which was weird since he mostly looks like hes going to murder his drumkit.

Honestly, they've always been really humble when I've seen them, but in interviews they (John specifically) can come off as elitist and/or arrogant. I can't wait to see them again.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Nuclear Fetus posted:

I thought they were boring as gently caress, and I do love their records, especially The Mantle. They just seemed to strip everything that makes them special for me away from their live set. I even began to question if I really like any of their other albums, but now that I've slept on it, I won't go so far. And I can't even remember the last time I've been disappointed with a live gig.

Edit: Did I mention the mixing was atrocious? The drums were so loud they drowned the low end of the guitars, so half the time I wasn't sure what at least one of the guitarists were playing, especially in bits with fast drums. Not to mention Haughm's mic wasn't on for the first 10 minutes or so and then he became more than barely audible during the third or fourth song.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 8, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
How the hell is Bolt-Thrower so awesome? I normally don't even like this genre of metal, but I can't loving stop listening to them. Fortunately the catalog is huge so I've been having a blast the past couple of days. Why can't they tour the US this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

rxcowboy posted:

How the hell is Bolt-Thrower so awesome? I normally don't even like this genre of metal, but I can't loving stop listening to them. Fortunately the catalog is huge so I've been having a blast the past couple of days. Why can't they tour the US this year?

Great, catchy riffs, and they repeat the riffs more than you typically hear in death metal. They're just all around badass.

They won't tour the US, they're not a full-time band anymore. They played MDF a few years ago, but other than that, they haven't played the US since 1994 - a disastrous US tour led to Andy Whale and Karl Willets leaving the band.