Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Heran Bago posted:

Make sure you guys look out for loving STRATEGY ROBBERS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emH4dN_6hA

This reaction is not surprising in the least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Heran Bago posted:

These are leaders of loving STRATEGY ROBBERS. DO DELETE the ROBBING VIDEO and DO STOP POSTING VIDEOS FOREVER. We are NOT your ITEM.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Suprised that the japanese speedrunners learned to properly do a "Vindictive-14-year-old Nerd" dialect. That usually takes years upon years of classes.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Heran Bago posted:

Isn't that the point of making these videos and talking about them? To get mnew and more people into speedrunning?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Isn't that the point of making these videos and talking about them? To get mnew and more people into speedrunning?

To this guy it's really important that Japanese Final Fantasy players stay on top. He pulled all his videos so people stop stealing his mad menu-selecting skills.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Heran Bago posted:

To this guy it's really important that Japanese Final Fantasy players stay on top. He pulled all his videos so people stop stealing his mad menu-selecting skills.

Well now he has the pleasure of getting laughed at across both sides of the Pacific.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Marathons are gaining a lot of popularity lately, I personally don't mind because they usually provide good content and tend to bring in some extra exposure from outside the community. Aside from SDA's Summer Games Done Quick, I'll try to post info I find on upcoming marathons as they get close, like this:

bmn is hosting a Metal Gear Solid marathon this Saturday, April 7th. He's going to be playing through 6 Metal Gear Solid games with a mystery finale. bmn has contributed a lot of the backend coding for SRL and SDA, but his streams don't get a lot of spotlight, so you should check this one out and say hi.

There's a schedule in his stream info at http://twitch.tv/gogobmn. It'll go live at 4am Central and go until about 7pmish.

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 5, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc closed the book on Cutthroat Island tonight with a 14:26. He's still waiting for his new NES to arrive though before he gets back to CV3.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Do you remember just how much of an improvement it was over his last run?

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

iastudent posted:

...new NES...

Where does one find a new NES these days?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Krenzo posted:

Where does one find a new NES these days?

Apparently his current NES has a timing issue that causes random speedups in CV3 so someone's sending him another one.

Also for Cutthroat Island, he initially started at just over 18:00, got to 16:40 last night, and figured out some new techniques afterwards that got him the current run.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 5, 2012

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

iastudent posted:

Apparently his current NES has a timing issue that causes random speedups in CV3 so someone's sending him another one.

It would be interesting if he could send it to someone who can look at the internals with an o-scope and see if the internal clock is actually running faster. It makes you wonder what other records out there are based on people's NES running differently.

rashreflection
Sep 19, 2007

So you're the hater, huh?
The most likely culprit with my NES is the crystal, since I guess that handles some aspects of timing. If it's malfunctioning the NES can be inconsistent in handling slowdown, and that is exactly what I noticed in my many test runs of CV3 level 1. It must have happened recently since I never noticed any wacky splits with Bad Street Brawler.

I plan on sending that NES to the person in my stream chat who brought this up, since I myself have no soldering skills.

Anyway, just got the new NES today and tested it with a bunch of tries at CV3 level 1. I'm glad to say that it's staying at the proper speed every time! I'll stream Grant practice tonight whenever I finish the weekly discussion question for class.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Krenzo posted:

It makes you wonder what other records out there are based on people's NES running differently.

Emulator supremacy. :v:

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

ToxicFrog posted:

Emulator supremacy. :v:

What if your computer's timing crystal is off, causing all your emulated games to run faster than normal? :ohdear:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

UraniumAnchor is practicing Mega Man 4 reverse boss order: http://www.twitch.tv/uraniumanchor

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

McGrady posted:

What if your computer's timing crystal is off, causing all your emulated games to run faster than normal? :ohdear:

To be safe, you should only play on an emulator if you have an atomic clock to sync it with. Also, have a GPS unit to correct for any relativistic effects on your speed run.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Krenzo posted:

To be safe, you should only play on an emulator if you have an atomic clock to sync it with. Also, have a GPS unit to correct for any relativistic effects on your speed run.

Finally, an excuse to embed NTP into NES emulators.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

McGrady posted:

The number of frames would still be the same.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Peaches is streaming Typing of the Dead speedrun attempts: http://www.justin.tv/peaches__

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Peaches is streaming Typing of the Dead speedrun attempts: http://www.justin.tv/peaches__

Haha, ragequit at the beginning of the final chapter after Magician RUINED him.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
LOL the up button popped out of his keyboard.

joff_b
Aug 5, 2011
I hope they do include this in summer games done quick, the game itself is really fun to watch.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I love watching it just for the terrible wonderful voice acting. "Remember, there's no such thing as a second chance."

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

HoldYourFire posted:

Haha, ragequit at the beginning of the final chapter after Magician RUINED him.

The dreamcast keyboard is a piece of poo poo and I always get penalized for things I'm 100% positive I typed correctly. I really don't care if I make mistakes or go too slow, but sometimes keys just don't register and I get irl mad over it, so I'd rather ragequit and take a break than pull a jman. I used to think it might be from pressing too many keys simultaneously but my up arrow is going haywire now, and you can't pass the name entry after every level without it :sigh: I'll try to fix it or track down a new keyboard I guess.

Also Mike doesn't think people want to watch TotD for some reason. I tried telling him about the huge positive response here and in my stream and how I get huge viewer counts when I stream it but right now it's only being considered a game that might be allowed as a donation incentive only if there's a bunch of free time, alongside Sim City :negative:

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 6, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Also I think you need to introduce more deliberate mistakes. You keep filling up your "no mistake" bar which just gives you more health to burn off.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
ToTD would be a laugh to see and far more interesting than "RPG You've Seen A Hundred Times Already And Nothing Is New In" 2 and 3 at a GamesDoneQuick >: (

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home
Honestly there's what looks like a ton of repeats on the list as is (plus 2 Final Fantasies so soon after 7's) that the list could easily be pruned for never before shown games like Typing of the Dead but nerds are kind of terrible so.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well, Mike is dumb and wrong. I don't even care about you beating the game, I'd rather watch you play and rage before I want to see another boring RPG or SOTN being run for the 3,000th time.

And I'd guarantee you goons would probably go a long way towards helping you if it became a donation goal. Just keep on him about the support you're getting for the game, maybe you'll break him down eventually.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
If ToTD still has the original absolute poo poo voice acting then I don't see how anyone could not find a lot of redeemable entertainment value in it. loving nerds

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Could you track down the PC port of ToTD instead? Ideally to be played with some loud rear end mechanical keyboard.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Yeah, find the PC version. It'll treat you much better.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Funkdoc is back to streaming CV3 runs with his new NES.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

furry drum circle posted:

The dreamcast keyboard is a piece of poo poo and I always get penalized for things I'm 100% positive I typed correctly. I really don't care if I make mistakes or go too slow, but sometimes keys just don't register and I get irl mad over it, so I'd rather ragequit and take a break than pull a jman. I used to think it might be from pressing too many keys simultaneously but my up arrow is going haywire now, and you can't pass the name entry after every level without it :sigh: I'll try to fix it or track down a new keyboard I guess.

Also Mike doesn't think people want to watch TotD for some reason. I tried telling him about the huge positive response here and in my stream and how I get huge viewer counts when I stream it but right now it's only being considered a game that might be allowed as a donation incentive only if there's a bunch of free time, alongside Sim City :negative:

I'm 5 minutes into this Sim City run and still not sure if it's a joke or not. Edit: Oh he uses the cheat to get max money. I am disappointed.

I'd love to see typing of the dead and Sim City would be cool but only if it was at like 5am because it's not something people will want to watch for the most part.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Duet posted:

Honestly there's what looks like a ton of repeats on the list as is (plus 2 Final Fantasies so soon after 7's) that the list could easily be pruned for never before shown games like Typing of the Dead but nerds are kind of terrible so.

Why take the time getting good at new games when you can just augur the ones you know into the ground every marathon.

TotD needs to be there for the next marathon. If for nothing else than a little variety. TAS makers fall into this problem every so often. Only the same handful of games would get run. And while the videos themselves were perfectly competent and interesting, it's still the same poo poo you've seen countless times.

Games Done Quick needs some freshness added to the mix. I dare anyone to say that they could watch that game and not be amused. :colbert:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Summer Games needs to be the time when they unleash new runs and in general have a bit more fun with the schedule. I get why certain games are always going to be featured but maybe save more of the usual suspects for the big one and let people try some new ones out in the summer to see if maybe something is worth doing again in January.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
SpikeVegeta is going some runs of Rayman Origins.

http://www.twitch.tv/spikevegeta

I wouldn't mind if this game becomes a marathon staple.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It's all about maxing out donations. Popular games get more donations, and RPGs get tons of donations for things like choosing character names. I'm afraid Typing of the Dead can't compete with that.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
FF6 is going to be an all characters/espers run this time, and it's been two and a half years since it's been done anyway. FF4 isn't even on the schedule so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. :confused:

Also over half the runs on the schedule have never been done at a marathon before so there's plenty of new blood.

That said, I want to see Typing of the Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well it appears dark souls is coming to PC so I will be able to start speed running that again since I don't have access to stream a PS3 right now.

That being said, i need something new to learn and do in the meantime, I'm not super interested in just learning the staples like OOT or SM64, I want to pick up a game that's not super popular to speed run and speed run it. Any suggestions on what a new-ish console speed runner can cut his teeth on? Dark Souls is really all I have real experience with as far as speed running goes, I've never really tried any of the 8 or 16 bit console stuff, but i'd really like to.

I was thinking maybe castlevania bloodlines or something, hell, I don't know.

• Locked thread