Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

quote:

Drove it home without the belt (I was 3 blocks away, and the engine was cold when I started, so no waterpump, no fan, no alternator, and no power steering sucked but wasn't going to break anything)

Can somebody tell me why they still use belts for this type of thing rather than just sealed gears/chains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rorac posted:

Can somebody tell me why they still use belts for this type of thing rather than just sealed gears/chains?

I would assume it its to isolate and cushion failures of the various parts., you don't want a seized alternator damaging your water pump, and you really don't want the entire thing stopping abruptly when 1 part fails.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
And a belt is relatively cheap, parts and labor. Would you rather replace a belt and a seized AC compressor, or clean shredded metal out of a gear-drive system when one of the components seizes up? Not to mention engineering a low TCO gear drive system for accessories and such. An external chain wouldn't be as long-loved as a belt, at least not without lubrication. Look at motorcycle drive chains vs drive belts for this.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

jamal posted:

maybe it's not such a good idea to use cheap knock-off suspension and steering parts:

Zing indeed. What was it, I can't make out the brand/model?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Lord Gaga posted:

I am not an expert but there shouldnt be galvanic corrosion between a steel bolt and an a probably high silicon cast aluminum alternator housing. Especially since most automotive bolts are coated but even if theyre not.

Shouldn't, perhaps. But what should happen and what does are often two different things.
I had a similar issue with the subie motor in my VW with intake manifold bolts. I had to cover it with penetrating oil and even then as I was undoing it and replacing it I was doing it to the chant of "mother ...uurrrrgh... fucker ...uuurrrgh... mother... uurghhh... fucker" because dammit those bolts didn't want to move. The only possible reason I could see was some kind of galvanic reaction. The bolt threads reflected this too. I still think I was really lucky not to shear them off.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

You Am I posted:

Zing indeed. What was it, I can't make out the brand/model?

Gonna guess 240

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Method Loser posted:

Gonna guess 240

1st generation, judging by the headlights.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Hello Spaceman posted:

Looks fine from here. Alfa Romeo Giulia 2-litre - pretty trick motor with programmable distributor, etc.

But all the programming in the world can't help...

... low-octane fuel that causes the piston to break and lunch itself.

:stare: I can't even begin to imagine how that must of sounded. Wow.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Lord Gaga posted:

I am not an expert but there shouldnt be galvanic corrosion between a steel bolt and an a probably high silicon cast aluminum alternator housing. Especially since most automotive bolts are coated but even if theyre not.

shouldn't be... maybe. Was there? you bet your rear end there was! It was so jammed in place by gobs of white aluminum oxide that even heating it cherry red with my oxy torch and trying to turn it with vise grips set as tight as I could with both hands simply scraped all the threads off the bolt where I was grabbing it.

e: I looked up the galvanic series in seawater (yay northeastern salted roads...) and steel is four steps up from aluminum, so aluminum will corrode, producing gobs of oxide that ends up packing into the threads like an all-natural loctite.

Also - it's the AC compressor bracket, not the alternator. The alternator is also a bitch and a half to change, but only because it's stuck between the radiator fan, frame rail, AC compressor, engine mount, and engine block. Takes a regular houdini to get the drat thing out of there even after you finally unbolt it.

Horse Divorce posted:

I have to know, is this a jeep? It looks just like my XJ.

EDIT: Yup. It's an XJ. Didn't put this post and the one from earlier together. My bad.

close! Good eye, it's on my rusted out POS '91 MJ. That bracket is off a '96 or later XJ because I converted to the later belt tensioner and routing since I hated the '95 and earlier "loosen power steering box bracket bolts and adjust" mechanism.

Rorac posted:

I'd really rather have all the mostly nonessential things (power steering, AC, alternator, water pump, fan) on belts - way easier to change and I like the belt to shred instead of stripping gears and causing real chaos if one of the above seizes up. Some of those are a lot more important than others, I'd really rather have a few belts, one for each group (fan and WP on one, power steering / AC / alternator on another, or preferably power steering and alternator on their own and AC by itself) but it's pretty tough to fit that many pulleys and belts into the front of a modern vehicle, space is at a premium.

I can get home without power steering, and can get home without an alternator if I'm within about an hour and a half driving distance. Getting home without a fan might work in winter, but the bearings in those brackets very rarely fail so who cares (mine lasted around 250 thousand miles and 21 years) so that's ok to put with the water pump... water pump is probably the most important thing to me on the accessory belt.

Another reason they use a single belt - cost. Easier and cheaper to assemble, fewer parts, etc.

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 8, 2012

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

kastein posted:

heating it cherry red with my oxy torch and trying to turn it with vise grips set as tight as I could with both hands

When the aluminum heats up like that it'll start oxidizing and probably snug your bolt up a bit more.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

kastein posted:

e: I looked up the galvanic series in seawater (yay northeastern salted roads...) and steel is four steps up from aluminum, so aluminum will corrode, producing gobs of oxide that ends up packing into the threads like an all-natural loctite.
It's not a matter of "steps", it's a matter of the difference in the Anodic index, or the electrochemical voltage produced. Steel and Aluminum have an Anodic index difference of 0.05-0.10v, while up to 0.15v is considered safe for a harsh environment (salt water). That doesn't mean you won't see corrosion, it just means you're not seeing significant galvanic corrosion, per se.

It does seems like it would be a relatively cheap solution to just attach magnesium or zinc beads in strategic locations to act as sacrificial anodes, however.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Alereon, thanks for the info - makes sense. I guess something went wrong, that bracket came off my 94 parts jeep and was horribly corroded around the bolts, while the original one off my 91 was drat near clean and the bolts came out without a fight.

thecobra posted:

When the aluminum heats up like that it'll start oxidizing and probably snug your bolt up a bit more.

It really was a lost cause anyways IMO, there was so much aluminum oxide packed in there already that I couldn't even see the base of the bolt till I scraped it away from the threads with a knife.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Blammo http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vxeIFoDRub8

e: "Hmmmm, there was a bang and a whole shitload of fire came out of that hole. Yes, I should definitely stick my head in there."

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 8, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That's hilarious. Boom indeed.

Alereon posted:

It's not a matter of "steps", it's a matter of the difference in the Anodic index, or the electrochemical voltage produced. Steel and Aluminum have an Anodic index difference of 0.05-0.10v, while up to 0.15v is considered safe for a harsh environment (salt water). That doesn't mean you won't see corrosion, it just means you're not seeing significant galvanic corrosion, per se.

It does seems like it would be a relatively cheap solution to just attach magnesium or zinc beads in strategic locations to act as sacrificial anodes, however.
Hate to tell you this, but they use aluminium anodes to project steel bulkheads, and I can tell you from first hand experience that steel with corrode aluminium. I work on an aluminum boat, and we get pitting from the steel rivet mandrels that get left on deck.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 8, 2012

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

e: "Hmmmm, there was a bang and a whole shitload of fire came out of that hole. Yes, I should definitely stick my head in there."

hahahaha I love it. "No dude we don't need no fire extinguisher just back away. I got this I got this. Whew! See dude I told you I got thiBOOOOOOM!! Ok we need the fire extinguisher."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

sharkytm posted:

Hate to tell you this, but they use aluminium anodes to project steel bulkheads, and I can tell you from first hand experience that steel with corrode aluminium. I work on an aluminum boat, and we get pitting from the steel rivet mandrels that get left on deck.
You could have just said "Land Rovers".

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

You could have just said "Land Rovers".
Or "oceanographer"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

sharkytm posted:

Or "oceanographer"

Or "anyone in the navy"

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

sharkytm posted:

Aluminum is a perfectly functional sacrificial anode for stainless steel, with a difference of the Anodic index of 0.30-0.45V. Might that be the difference?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Alereon posted:

Aluminum is a perfectly functional sacrificial anode for stainless steel, with a difference of the Anodic index of 0.30-0.45V. Might that be the difference?
The Wikipedia article liked earlier shows aluminum anodes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

sharkytm posted:

The Wikipedia article liked earlier shows aluminum anodes.
I don't want to pretend to be some sort of anodic protection expert, but I've always heard of Magnesium and Zinc being used to protect mild steel, though based on the anodic series Aluminum would work to protect stainless steel.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does this count?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I saw that when it was first posted but hadn't followed up on the aftermath. That is an amazing photo no matter how you cut it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I saw that when it was first posted but hadn't followed up on the aftermath. That is an amazing photo no matter how you cut it.
Was an F/A-18D, a 2-seat trainer. Both pilots ejected OK and only received minor injuries (was an extremely late ejection, as they landed right next to this apartment complex). 7 people were injured on the ground but none badly. Amazingly, nobody died, though 90 apartments were destroyed. Witness reports indicate both engines failed soon after takeoff, with some people reporting seeing flame on one side, and that it was dumping fuel. The Navy's Official Cause Statement is "catastrophic mechanical failure", which is quite an understatement. We'll probably hear a more detailed explanation in a few months when the investigation is done.

And yes, that's an amazing photo. This one hasn't made the rounds so much, but is another good one:

Also, when pilots eject, the canopy falls back to earth, too.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 9, 2012

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The safety cone sells it for me.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Alereon posted:

I don't want to pretend to be some sort of anodic protection expert, but I've always heard of Magnesium and Zinc being used to protect mild steel, though based on the anodic series Aluminum would work to protect stainless steel.

Zink is used to protect steel boats. If you have a ground leak it'll keep the boat from eating holes in itself. Also if you're in a harbor that has ground leaks with lots of stray current in the water, it'll protect the steel. I've seen 30lbs zinks be eaten up in one season in a badly wired harbor.

Also, there are different grades of zink/alloys for different applications. It's a slightly different mix for fresh water use. Also for aluminum boats, there's a special mix.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I love that the hood is 10 feet in the air and people havent even noticed the boom and moved yet.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Since we're talking about mechanical failures leading to fiery crashes; it's amazing how a broken rear control arm can lead to one of the most :stare: NASCAR wrecks in history:

Juan Pablo Montoya crashes into a Jet Track Dryer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 9, 2012

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Root Bear posted:

Since we're talking about mechanical failures leading to fiery crashes; it's amazing how a broken rear control arm can lead to one of the most :stare: NASCAR wrecks in history:

That was a pivotal moment in my life.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

front wing flexing posted:

That was a pivotal moment in my life.

It was something I'll never forget. I haven't watched a race in years, and just happened to be at a friends house the night that happened. My mind was blown by the craziness of it all. It was like something out of a Micheal Bay movie.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

SGT. Squeaks posted:

It was something I'll never forget. I haven't watched a race in years, and just happened to be at a friends house the night that happened. My mind was blown by the craziness of it all. It was like something out of a Micheal Bay movie.

This was the first Nascar race I've ever watched from start to finish. They did it to hook me :tinfoil:.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Root Bear posted:

Was there in person. It was pretty awesome once we all realized JPM wasn't dead.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

:rice: Mad tyte camber yo

Watched the Nascar wreck video and was amazed how long the jet fuel burned.

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm

"i was riding home form work on the river trail.... and then all of a sudden, i heard a loud twangy snap and everything got kinda wobbly."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

I would assume it its to isolate and cushion failures of the various parts., you don't want a seized alternator damaging your water pump, and you really don't want the entire thing stopping abruptly when 1 part fails.

Well, it has been done to a limited extent before - the GenII small-block Chevy (LT1/LT4) had a water pump driven off of the cam. Never heard of a catastrophic failure on the drive side of it, but the fuckers do leak like a sieve...right onto the water-sensitive Optispark!

That said, a lot of cars now have electric power steering; it's easier to package, and reduces parasitic losses considerably since now you're only loading the alternator when you're actually turning, instead of loading the belt drive all the time. I think many hybrids run the A/C compressor on electricity as well so that you still get cooling with the engine off. The water pump could be electrified either with more voltage, or maybe direct driven like that LT1, and then your only belt is the alternator.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, it has been done to a limited extent before - the GenII small-block Chevy (LT1/LT4) had a water pump driven off of the cam. Never heard of a catastrophic failure on the drive side of it, but the fuckers do leak like a sieve...right onto the water-sensitive Optispark!

That said, a lot of cars now have electric power steering; it's easier to package, and reduces parasitic losses considerably since now you're only loading the alternator when you're actually turning, instead of loading the belt drive all the time. I think many hybrids run the A/C compressor on electricity as well so that you still get cooling with the engine off. The water pump could be electrified either with more voltage, or maybe direct driven like that LT1, and then your only belt is the alternator.

BMW switched to electric water pumps on E90s and possibly other models as well.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Crustashio posted:

BMW switched to electric water pumps on E90s and possibly other models as well.

Do they use a thermostat still? Or just regulate the temperature by controlling the speed of the pump?
I've always wondered about that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NuclearFusi0n posted:

"i was riding home form work on the river trail.... and then all of a sudden, i heard a loud twangy snap and everything got kinda wobbly."

I did that to two different seat tubes -- clean break -- back in the early 2000s. Gary Fisher can kiss my rear end.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nm posted:

I did that to two different seat tubes -- clean break -- back in the early 2000s. Gary Fisher can kiss my rear end.

My stepuncle was riding in a triathlon and the local cops hosed up and let a truck onto a street that was part of the course. Uncle's coming down a hill, he looks up to see a truck grill.

He broke the frame of the bike with his femurs. Docs told him that if he'd had a stronger frame he'd have had two broken thighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I did that same thing to the swingarm of my gary fischer hi-fi pro. Got a new trek fuel 7 frame for free out of it (it was less than 9 months after I bought the gary fischer)