Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Since you have a rat and all, have you tried adjusting the shape?
It's the width and lack of pinky support that gets to me. Also stop trolling so badly thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

It's the width and lack of pinky support that gets to me. Also stop trolling so badly thanks.
Doesn't the RAT have a swappable panel with pinky support? Never owned one myself but thought I remembered seeing that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It does, but the panel just prevents your finger from rubbing the surface, it doesn't support it in a natural position (it's too far back).
Another complaint: the gap between the panel and the RMB means the sharp underside edge of the RMB eventually starts digging into your ring ringer. I'm returning it next week.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2012

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The rat was on my shortlist for my new mouse, but after reading this thread I've taken it off.

That just leaves rubber grip sensei and corsair mice.

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
Was there ever a replacement/alternative for Logitech MX1000? I hate the MX revolution and no other mouse I've found is as bulky as MX1000 with all the buttons.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cLin posted:

Was there ever a replacement/alternative for Logitech MX1000? I hate the MX revolution and no other mouse I've found is as bulky as MX1000 with all the buttons.

I found that the G500 has a similar three thumb button cluster to the MX1000, but the two buttons near the wheel got moved to the left of the left mouse button. They're a little hard to reach compared to the wheel ones, but of the mice I've tried it's the closest in number of buttons and general shape (it's not quite as big). The thumb buttons are positioned slightly differently, but there's three of them and they're fairly distinct and not too tough to hit.

apheleon
Sep 6, 2007
sofresh

nftyw posted:

My MX300 finally got the double-click/mouse button unreliability issues that doom most mice after awhile, I opened it up and checked out how the button on the switch actually carved a switch-shaped alcove in the plastic. Sad days.

That said I pulled out that G1 that I had as a backup (had to order one from Korea, hah) and it is all good. Looks and feels pretty much identical, just the different casing and coloring. The main thing is I have to re-accustom myself to the higher dpi sensor... if they still had the G1s available in the US I would totally get another backup, but they don't, so.

The MX300 was clearly out of warranty (over 6 years!) so I wound up with a 50% off coupon that I can use in the Logitech store. I'm kind of waffling between just hopping back on eBay and grabbing another G1 (20 bucks or so) and trying to see how new mice fit my hand. I did pick up a cheap M310 wireless about a month ago, which actually works rather nicely. I was eyeing the G300 and the Marathon mouse M705, the G400 looks nice as well. Any recommendations?

I would recommend buying the G100 on eBay - you can use the Logitech drivers to set the DPI down to 400 - feels exactly like the mx300.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

cLin posted:

You could probably find the MX1100 around with a little bit of effort, it was the straight update to the MX1000. It's no longer in the product list but it was sold for quite a while and as part of a kb/m combo too, so there should be at a minimum a bunch of refurbs on eBay, and many shops could still have it in stock.

Of the current lineup, the G700 is probably the closest in bulk and features, and the G500 is close if you want to save some cash.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How does the Logitech G700 compare to the Steelseries Cataclysm? Or is there a permanently wired alternative that fits large hands, has 5000dpi minimum and no angle filtering with a fucktonne of buttons?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Compared to the Cataclysm? The G700 has one fewer button, lacks a pinky rest, and is considerably more expensive, but it goes up to 5700 DPI with on-the-fly switching, can go wireless when needed, has the awesome hyperwheel, is covered by Logitech's "fart and you get a new one" warranty, and doesn't look like it will make you grow a new hymen. I'm not 100% sure about the angle filtering though, it shouldn't since it's a G-series but you can try asking in the official forums to be sure.

Given the requirements you listed the only other mouse I can think of is the Corsair M90, it might be a little small for your hands but the button placement (and number) looks amazing. Finally there's the Razer Naga, but that thumb button array looks lazy and uncomfortable as hell.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just checked the logitech forum and god is that a load of whining about the G700. Mostly problems with dirt getting into the switches causing false double clicks and the lack of LGS support. Still tempted because of the warranty though.

The Corsair M90 looks good but if it's roughly the same size as the Naga that's a no-go. Tried one in PC World last year and it was nearly small enough to hold in my closed fist.

I bought the Cataclysm last time because it felt comfortable except in FPS games where my third and fourth fingers end up cramping up. Hurray for chronic joint pain!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
My G500 seems to be having a problem with registering single-clicks as double-clicks if I hold the button a fraction of a second longer than I have to. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

horchata posted:

My G500 seems to be having a problem with registering single-clicks as double-clicks if I hold the button a fraction of a second longer than I have to. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Mine does not do that. It sounds like the switch may be faulty, is it still under warranty?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It's a common fault with lots of mice. If it's out of warranty try opening it up and cleaning the plastic contact that pushes against the microswitch when you click a button.

I had an old MS Habu mouse that developed the problem, had to clean it out every few weeks until someone suggested using a drop of plastic-safe mineral oil. It lubricates the contact and prevents particles from getting jammed in there.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat
Do you guys have any trackballs to recommend? I've had my eye on the Kensington SlimBlade but mainly because it looks so classy compared to the others available.

edit. Those CST trackballs are exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much.

Wax On fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 10, 2012

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

Wax On posted:

Do you guys have any trackballs to recommend? I've had my eye on the Kensington SlimBlade but mainly because it looks so classy compared to the others available.

I got a SlimBlade as my first trackball ever a couple weeks ago. I still use a mouse for anything that calls for more immediate precision (games), but I really enjoy having the trackball available as a secondary pointing device.

If you're looking for a really high-end trackball, you should also consider the CST L-TracX. I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard a lot of good things and I think I'm going to have to pick one up eventually. The CH DT255 is another trackball that some people swear by, although I'm not sure if I could deal with a mechanical trackback these days.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Verizian posted:

Just checked the logitech forum and god is that a load of whining about the G700. Mostly problems with dirt getting into the switches causing false double clicks and the lack of LGS support. Still tempted because of the warranty though.

I've had one of these for a year and I've never had any problem with it. And even if it was, I sent Logitech an email about getting a replacement USB cable and their reply was them confirming that they mailed me a brand new one, they didn't even check if I have voided the warranty, hell they didn't even want the thing, I now have 2 of them.

It's shape kind of reminds me of the mx1000 actually, I know someone was asking about that. USB on the fly charging was a cool gimmick but I've just been letting the battery die and then swapping.

Fuzzeh
Apr 9, 2012

Angering Nerd Pug makes Nerd Pug sad.
Although it makes us
Laugh
If you are looking for extra buttons get a naga. I love mine, after my first one broke, i felt like a part of me died until the replacement got there.

What ever you do.. don't get a wow gaming mouse for the extra buttons. It is freaking huge and will instantly repel people away. I don't have large hands so using the buttons actually made my hand cramp up from the strain of reaching. BTW the extra buttons can not be assigned to hot keys in several of the games I play.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So I have rather large hands, and my MX518 is dying. I've always felt like my hand got a little cramped, it being so small and all. I have to use my middle finger for the right click because there isn't enough room for the middle to use the wheel/wheel buttons. I've seen the G9 but there's nowhere local that has one I can fondle, and I'm wary of buying a mouse outright. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Pictures of my gross hands for size comparison

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 12, 2012

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Are you saying you'd prefer to have your index on the LMB, middle on the wheel, and ring on the RMB? G9 is gonna be smaller than the mx518 was, it's seriously down right tiny. both the G500 and the G700 are bigger, slightly longer, slightly more arch, wider, more thumb rest etc then the 518s.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Beach Bum posted:

So I have rather large hands, and my MX518 is dying. I've always felt like my hand got a little cramped, it being so small and all. I have to use my middle finger for the right click because there isn't enough room for the middle to use the wheel/wheel buttons. I've seen the G9 but there's nowhere local that has one I can fondle, and I'm wary of buying a mouse outright. Anyone have any other recommendations?

I've never seen anyone who uses their middle finger for the scroll wheel or their ring finger for right click. And I'm including people I know with small hands, since I also have similarly giant hands and use the same mouse chassis in a semi-claw grip because it's on the small side.

I'm currently looking at a G400 since I'm used to my Logitech (I've worn through 2 pairs of mouse skates already), so I'm also interested in what people would suggest.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Uhhh, using your middle click for the right button is by far the most common way of holding a mouse. There's nothing weird about that.

And yeah, G500/G700 are your best bets for bulky mice, but looking at those pictures I would also heartily recommend you a cheap wrist rest.

Also clean your keyboard 'cause it looks gross and greasy.

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/intellimouse-explorer-3.0/B75-00113

There are a few mice with the Intellimouse-style shell pictured above. Try it. Logitech M570 is pretty comfortable and similar too, if you ever decide to try a trackball.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Also clean your keyboard 'cause it looks gross and greasy.

It's a SERIAL IBM clicker from the 70's, it's not getting "clean". :colbert:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beach Bum posted:

You could always retrobright it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66071596@N00/3822230561/
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fishmasher posted:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/intellimouse-explorer-3.0/B75-00113

There are a few mice with the Intellimouse-style shell pictured above. Try it. Logitech M570 is pretty comfortable and similar too, if you ever decide to try a trackball.

Isn't the profile of an intellmouse shorter and thinner than a Logitech MX? I feel like that would be worse if you have big hands.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Upgrading from a dying MX518.

The G400 and G500... ergonomics aside, do either of them suffer from any kind of subtle issues?

I'm having trouble deciding between keeping my MX518 lineage going with the G400, or opting for a slightly different G500 with seemingly more features. (and a laser! (does that make a real difference?))

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Are you saying you'd prefer to have your index on the LMB, middle on the wheel, and ring on the RMB? G9 is gonna be smaller than the mx518 was, it's seriously down right tiny. both the G500 and the G700 are bigger, slightly longer, slightly more arch, wider, more thumb rest etc then the 518s.
I used a mouse with two fingers for a long time, until I realised I was twisting my hand and giving me a pressure point on my writst. I retrained myself, took a few weeks to make it habit but now I always put three fingers on the mouse and use ring finger for right click. As an added bonus, I can right click and scroll at once and never have to move my fingers around. I'm not saying this is the right way, just that yes, some people do use a mouse like this and find it more comfortable.

Beach Bum posted:

At work we provide Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000s unless you are a special snowflake who likes tiny little laptop mice or a communist leftie. Some of them have had this weird multiple click on the LMB mechanism (physically as you press it the butotn makes more than one clicking sound and feels horrible) and we had to send them back but I think it was just a bad batch as others are perfect. The shape is perfect for my grip though, which is palm with three fingers as you are describing, so maybe try one of the MS gaming mice with the same style shell.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 12, 2012

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

Beach Bum posted:

Not to get too off topic, but what exactly is that keyboard anyway? It doesn't look like any IBM board I'm familiar with, and I'd guess it's from the late 80s/early 90s, but I'm not an expert on old keyboards.

And yes, you should really clean it.

Revitalized posted:

I'm having trouble deciding between keeping my MX518 lineage going with the G400, or opting for a slightly different G500 with seemingly more features. (and a laser! (does that make a real difference?))

A couple weeks after replacing my MX518 at home with a G500, I had to do the same at work since I liked the G500 so much. My MX518s are still alive and well, but I definitely prefer the G500 for general use.

My only complaint about the G500 is that the middle button is obnoxious to press. It's too easy to accidentally push the scroll-wheel just enough to scroll when you're middle-clicking. I ended up binding the scroll-wheel left and right buttons to middle-click after seeing someone suggest it earlier in this thread, which works much better.

Lasers are worse than optical sensors if you really care about *exactly* how you're moving the cursor, since all laser mice have some degree of hardware acceleration. Most people probably don't even notice it though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
MX518->G500 experience was pretty good for me. I found at the time I upgraded that the G500 tracked on my desk much better, though now I no longer have that desk and I use a mousepad so it's kind of a moot point. Mostly I like the versatility of the scroll wheel and also having the extra thumb button.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
My MX Revolution has slowly been crapping out on me, and it starting to bug me. Single clicks sometimes register as double clicks, and middle clicking often scrolls even when I don't move the scroll wheel. I was looking at the Performance MX, but Amazon reviewers complained about the lack of SmartShift. Is it really true that Logitech stopped producing SmartShift-enabled mice? What replacements do you guys suggest for an MX Revolution?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fangs404 posted:

My MX Revolution has slowly been crapping out on me, and it starting to bug me. Single clicks sometimes register as double clicks, and middle clicking often scrolls even when I don't move the scroll wheel. I was looking at the Performance MX, but Amazon reviewers complained about the lack of SmartShift. Is it really true that Logitech stopped producing SmartShift-enabled mice? What replacements do you guys suggest for an MX Revolution?

I'm gonna do my due diligence here since I learned about Logitech's no-pain replacement via this thread not too long ago: if your mouse is in warranty, Logitech will almost certainly send you a new, better one. I ended up with a Performance Mouse MX, and I'm pretty happy with it. Even if you're not into the replacement, you have a new mouse you can put on CraigBay.

As for my Performance MX, FWIW, I use it for non-competition gaming and daily use, and though does chew through rechargable AA's about once per week, I'm pretty darn happy with the thing. Fortunately, I have an AA charger so I always have a charged spare, but even then, Logitech includes a charger so you can just plug it in every night if you want to. Or just plug it into a USB port to charge.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 16, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bought a QPad 5K and it seems to work quite decently. Definitely designed for hands slightly smaller than mine, but it's quite comfortable anyhow. The texture is brilliant, and the mouse is very light.

I never understood the need for adding weight to a mouse. I run my G9x without even the weight tray.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When I first got my G500 I was all "ooh i like this" and loaded the tray up to max weight, but after a few months of that I realized how stupid it was and ditched it. I leave the tray in with no weights on my one at work because I'm afraid of losing it, though.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

evil_bunnY posted:

Bought a QPad 5K and it seems to work quite decently. Definitely designed for hands slightly smaller than mine, but it's quite comfortable anyhow. The texture is brilliant, and the mouse is very light.

I never understood the need for adding weight to a mouse. I run my G9x without even the weight tray.

Dogen posted:

When I first got my G500 I was all "ooh i like this" and loaded the tray up to max weight, but after a few months of that I realized how stupid it was and ditched it. I leave the tray in with no weights on my one at work because I'm afraid of losing it, though.

Every mouse I've used for the past decade or so (MX Revolution, MX 500, and a couple of the early Logitech USB optical mice I forget the exact models of) has been on the heavy side. It's what I'm used to and so lightweight mice don't really feel "right" to me, even if they're well built and feel sturdy in my hand. There's also the fact that all the lightweight mice I've used have been the $5-$10 generic POSes, so I tend to think of lightweight mice as mice with poor build quality.

Quadradextrous
Jun 6, 2010
With all the talk of the G500 and my G5 slowly dying (the scroll wheel is very loose and gets days where it flickers about everywhere), I was wondering if there were any alternate suggestions for new mice, before I take the plunge and just get the G500 to replace this one. I've used the G5 at max weight for 3-4 years so lightweight mice tend to feel weird to me. I once sent one of the university mice skittering off the desk when I tried "nudging" it out of the way.

Also, despite having notoriously small hands (I take a x-small or xx-small in most glove sizes), I actually like how the G5 feels in my hand. I'm not sure if it's technically a large mouse but most of my uni buddies balk at the size of it.

Are there any alternate mice that are good for smallish hands and don't weigh a feather, or should I just go with what I know and what I'm comfortable with?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

The G9/G9x is tiny and has customisable weights (up to 28 grams, vs. the G500's 27, although the 'empty' mouse is probably lighter).

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

doctorfrog posted:

I'm gonna do my due diligence here since I learned about Logitech's no-pain replacement via this thread not too long ago: if your mouse is in warranty, Logitech will almost certainly send you a new, better one. I ended up with a Performance Mouse MX, and I'm pretty happy with it. Even if you're not into the replacement, you have a new mouse you can put on CraigBay.

As for my Performance MX, FWIW, I use it for non-competition gaming and daily use, and though does chew through rechargable AA's about once per week, I'm pretty darn happy with the thing. Fortunately, I have an AA charger so I always have a charged spare, but even then, Logitech includes a charger so you can just plug it in every night if you want to. Or just plug it into a USB port to charge.

Yeah, I've actually made good use of that warranty in the past, but I can't remember when I picked up the Revolution. I'm not sure if it's still covered. I guess I should call Logitech about that.

I don't mind the bit about the rechargables. I actually have a really nice charger and 8 Eneloops (used them for a Canon flash), so that wouldn't be an issue. How do you like the scroll wheel on the Performance MX vs the Revolution?

Evangelion
May 11, 2003
Maybe you guys can help me choose a mouse. I switch between Mac and Windows, so it'd need to be customizable with both. I palm my mice and prefer mid/large sized mice. Ergonomics is a huge plus, so form fitting mice are double plus. Wireless is also a plus, but not needed. I play mostly League of Legends, Diablo 3, SC2.

I've been looking at these, or maybe there is something you can suggest.

Logitech
Performace MX
G9x

Razer
Mamba
Imperator

Steelseries
Ikari Laser
Sensei Raw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
Love my g9x. Then again I've only ever had a mx510 that lasted 15 years and my g9x which I've had for 6 or so months. Everything else just feels weird.